Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2023, 02:03   #4786
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolsuvhead View Post
Looking for a non- Chinese, no nonsense, front only dashcam that can reliably read number plates and offer decent quality and longevity.
Good luck on the non-Chinese part.

Quote:
Have zeroed in on the Redtiger 2.7k on Amazon retailing for ₹4999/-.
FYI, Redtiger dashcams are Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
A funny note - I asked him why is the app rated so poorly on the play store (3.2 or so), so he sends me a screenshot of 3 other apps that are rated 2.1- 2.5 and says we are better than the others
Viofo's app has room for a lot of improvement UI & UX wise. I have a A139 Pro dual channel in my car. Their app is useable. Connects quickly to camera & you can download videos over 5Ghz wifi connection at fast speeds (which can also be improved). You can also set the dashcam settings via the app. Don't expect anything else from it.
amitgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 07:23   #4787

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Red Tiger is a Chinese company product. If you want an Indian product choose between Qubo and Nexdigitron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Good luck on the non-Chinese part.
FYI, Redtiger dashcams are Chinese.
Thanks a ton, going for the Nexdigitron Ace Plus with the GPS module. Currently available on Amazon for 4.5k. Hoping to do the installation on my own. Let's see how that turns out.
petrolsuvhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 12:07   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Not sure about your car but are there any USB plug-ins in your Skoda? You could check if those remain on as well. The dashcam will work fine even with the USB slot.
Thanks once again!! Yes I checked and this is what I found - the front 2 USB ports of Slavia along with the 12 v socket are continuously charged even after the engine is switched off and the car is locked. Now the good news - the 2 USB ports at the back shut off when the car is locked. So I can use one of these sockets at the back.
kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 13:07   #4789
BHPian

Hello guys, I am in need of a dashcam for my Skoda Rapid. I will be using 12V socket, and strictly no hardwiring (don't want to complicate the warranty). My main requirements from the dashcam:
1) Record videos of Road trips, which can later be compiled into a single movie footage.
2) Record events happening on the road, not so fixated on Number plate readability to the T, can be managed if the image is decently clear.
3) Capacitor type, owing to the places where I stay/travel, it gets too hot and too cold.
4) Simple UI/UX for seamless video check in case of urgencies.
5) GPS would be a nice to have feature.

My max budget is 8k INR.

I have shortlisted the following:
a) Nexdigitron Ace Plus with GPS
b) 70mai A500S Pro Plus single camera
c) SJCam 4000 Wi-Fi (not exactly a dashcam but it is tried and tested for a long time), should I be even looking at this?
d) DDPai Mola N3 with GPS

It would be of great help if experienced users could share their thoughts on this. I have check YouTube videos, but I found almost everything to be super biased.

Thank You,
Nishy

Last edited by Nifty.Nishy : 15th September 2023 at 13:11.
Old 15th September 2023, 14:10   #4790
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton, going for the Nexdigitron Ace Plus with the GPS module.
From what I recall reading somewhere Nexdigitron sells rebranded dashcams. They're very likely made in China as well.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 18:41   #4791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
From what I recall reading somewhere Nexdigitron sells rebranded dashcams. They're very likely made in China as well.
I'm not sure if there are many dashcam companies in India other than probably IROAD which are non-Chinese, IROAD being of Korean origin. There could be a few desi ones, which members here might have used.

That said, I'm not sure why members here have an aversion to Chinese dashcams. There are a few brands like Viofo which are generally quite good and offer decent customer care support as well.
Old 15th September 2023, 22:45   #4792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
I'm not sure if there are many dashcam companies in India other than probably IROAD which are non-Chinese, IROAD being of Korean origin. There could be a few desi ones, which members here might have used.
There are not. A number of desi ones are also selling white-labelled Chinese stuff. Camera components etc are also not made in India. So "Made in India" labelling is just mis-direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
That said, I'm not sure why members here have an aversion to Chinese dashcams. There are a few brands like Viofo which are generally quite good and offer decent customer care support as well.
True. Its either a misguided sense of patriotism or a misconception that Chinese stuff is just bad/unreliable. Also a lot of people new to dashcams don't realise that market is pretty much cornered by Chinese companies.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 11:20   #4793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
My max budget is 8k INR.
a) Nexdigitron Ace Plus with GPS
b) 70mai A500S Pro Plus single camera
c) SJCam 4000 Wi-Fi (not exactly a dashcam but it is tried and tested for a long time), should I be even looking at this?
d) DDPai Mola N3 with GPS
I would recommend the 70mai A500S as it has the best tech specs. I think only the front dashcam will exceed 8k, see the prices below. If you are Ok with stretching a budget by 1K you can get 70mai A 400 with both front and rear dashcam which has a better resolution but suffers from dashboard glare. The front dashcam of A 400 is easily available in your budget.

https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti...ts/a500s-front

https://www.amazon.in/70mai-A500S-Pl...s%2C369&sr=8-4

https://www.nexdigitron.com/collecti.../products/a400
Old 18th September 2023, 12:25   #4794
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton, going for the Nexdigitron Ace Plus with the GPS module.
I think the Nexdigitron dashcams are ultimately designed by DDPAI (Chinese)
If you really want to avoid Chinese brands altogether then go for Iroad or Thinkware (Korean)
Old 18th September 2023, 19:01   #4795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCST View Post
If you really want to avoid Chinese brands altogether then go for Iroad or Thinkware (Korean)
Wolfbox is another choice. As far as I know, it's based in the US. I hope it's not like MG
Old 19th September 2023, 09:32   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has installed Dashcam in their Kia Sonet?
Just want an insight how was the experience as I am planning to do the same.
Old 19th September 2023, 15:49   #4797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
My main requirements from the dashcam:

3) Capacitor type, owing to the places where I stay/travel, it gets too hot and too cold.

5) GPS would be a nice to have feature.

c) SJCam 4000 Wi-Fi (not exactly a dashcam but it is tried and tested for a l

It would be of great help if experienced users could share their thoughts on this. I have check YouTube videos, but I found almost everything to be super biased.

Thank You,
Nishy
Nishy, SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi in your list, wont meet your requirement of having Capacitor based and also need for having GPS.

Also it is couple of year old model and tech, better look for other options which meets your requirements.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 16:43   #4798
BANNED

70mai Dash Cam Pro Das Cam, single front camera which I fixed it to my new Seltos, earlier it was doing its duty in Nexon.

Does it make sense to buy a basic rear view dashcam, instead of going for a new dual camera ? Something like DDPAI Mini Pro Dash Camera for rear ?

Anyhow Seltos has many C-type ports in rear seat to power-up which is used rarely.
Old 20th September 2023, 23:17   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Does it make sense to buy a basic rear view dashcam, instead of going for a new dual camera ? Something like DDPAI Mini Pro Dash Camera for rear ?
You can do it, but you'll have to power both of them separately, plus each will need a separate memory card and if you want to review footage, you'll have to connect to both cams separately on the app (even if you use the same brand). A 2-channel dashcam will make things far more convenient. You will get only 1 advantage of haivng a standalone rear cam and that is better video quality as most 2-channel cams have 1080p rear video. If you want higher resolution and can manage with a bit inconvenience then it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
When the car is parked - does this cause some battery draining - I mean, should we remove the plug from the 12v socket after the car is parked?
In some cars, the 12V socket is on even after the engine is turned off. If that is the case you will need to remove it when you park. Check the socket in your car (connect you phone charger with the engine off and see if it charges. If yes then you'll need to disconnect the dashcam each time. If not then you can keep it connected)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th October 2023 at 21:20. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
RGCST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 13:13   #4800
Senior - BHPian

Can someone recommend a good front facing dashcam for the Slavia? A relative of mine has bought one and is looking to get a dashcam as his primary usage is in Bangalore.

Most Viewed