Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2023, 10:56   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
Guys - sort of a stupid question. I am planning to put the dashcam on both of my cars. One of my cars is still in warranty and hence do not want any hardwiring. So, from the threads, I understand that we can directly connect the dashcam to the 12v socket. When the car is parked - does this cause some battery draining - I mean, should we remove the plug from the 12v socket after the car is parked?
Mostly the car when switched off will power off the 12V socket. However I have seen a Ford Aspire where the 12V socket would continue be powered on even with the car being off. Ford owners could confirm this.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 11:38   #4772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Mostly the car when switched off will power off the 12V socket. However I have seen a Ford Aspire where the 12V socket would continue be powered on even with the car being off. Ford owners could confirm this.
Same with ecosport, it will keep it powered ON, advantage is, you can keep your mobile charged when you go out and come back. Disadvantage is that it wont help to install Dashcam
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 11:56   #4773
BHPian

Hello, Anyone aware of the Philips Dashcam that has been made available as accessories with the Elevate? I am unable to find it online to buy the same.
Old 14th September 2023, 12:32   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
Hey everyone, I have an action camera SJCAM SJ8 pro, lying around in house after I bought the go pro. It has a dedicated dash cam mode and I am thinking of using it in my new car as dashcam.

Is there anything specific that I need to keep in my mind, or any issues that I may face?
I am using 2 SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi as dashcam in both front and rear of my car, from 2015 till now. So I would say go ahead and use it, its already lying around, see if that works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCST View Post
Action cameras have in-built batteries that are not recommended in cars since the cam will get pretty hot in summers, especially if you leave the car parked in the open. Also action cameras are not built to withstand high temp as well as dashcams. It will most likely shut down after a while and stop recording. Capacitor based cameras are much safer and more reliable.
I wouldn't generalize this, but if the usage surroundings has higher temperature then better go for capacitor ones. I have been using Action cams that has batteries as dashcams, for last 8 years. I havent faced any heating issues or battery issues till now, on my cams for my usage. Still running on the original batteries came with the cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Since you already have it lying around why not put it to use in the car. It was a piece of 'dead meat' in your house gathering dust and deteriorating/degrading due to lack of use, so why not use it till it survives/dies.
+1
Old 14th September 2023, 13:16   #4775
Senior - BHPian

Anyone on the forum using Blaupunkt 4.5 FHD dashcam, this is being offered as one of the accessory from a Tata Dealer. The Tata Dealer is refusing to provide installation services for the dashcam bought from outside and want the customer to buy the Blaupunkt one for which they are charging installation costs in any case.

In case anyone has used this, kindly share the experience related to ease of installation, video quality - day + night etc

https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/car-acce...p-4.5-fhd/363/
Old 14th September 2023, 13:30   #4776

Hi all,
Looking for a non- Chinese, no nonsense, front only dashcam that can reliably read number plates and offer decent quality and longevity. Budget is around 5k.
Have zeroed in on the Redtiger 2.7k on Amazon retailing for ₹4999/-. Link below for reference. Has anyone used it or can vouch for it's reliability? Any better options/suggestions are welcome.

https://amzn.eu/d/7PatCTi
Old 14th September 2023, 13:47   #4777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Blaupunkt...In case anyone has used this, kindly share the experience related to ease of installation, video quality - day + night etc
Disadvantages from my point of View.
1) Suction type hanging is iffy. Keeps on coming off after a while.
2) Inbuilt Battery instead of Super-capacitor.
3) No wi-fi. You will have to remove sd card to view videos.

At Blaupunkt's price range you will get capacitor based products from DDPAI.
In Thane, you'll find many Car electricians who can hard wire. You could also ask him to install an additional USB behind/connected to the cigarette lighter socket so there is no splicing ( incase he doesn't use the fuse tap method).
There could also be connectors which connect to OBD port and power the dashcam. Talk to a Car electrician first and ask him before buying the preferred dashcam.
Old 14th September 2023, 14:09   #4778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolsuvhead View Post
Hi all,
Looking for a non- Chinese, no nonsense, front only dashcam that can reliably read number plates and offer decent quality and longevity.
Have zeroed in on the Redtiger 2.7k on Amazon retailing for ₹4999/-.
Red Tiger is a Chinese company product. If you want an Indian product choose between Qubo and Nexdigitron.

Quote:
No Wifi is a big pain and removing SD card during any emergency is too much for asking. I think I will skip this one.
BTW need the installation in Pune for BIL's car.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 14:14   #4779
Senior - BHPian

I agree the suction comes off when parked in the sun. VHB sticker based is the best
Quote:
Old 14th September 2023, 14:31   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BTW need the installation in Pune for BIL's car.
https://www.nexdigitron.com/pages/contact
They are in Pune. They can install it too.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 14:54   #4781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.nexdigitron.com/pages/contact
They are in Pune. They can install it too.
Nexdigitron confirmed they don't do the installation- bought from their website or otherwise.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 18:18   #4782
BHPian

Been driving for over 20 years on Bangalore roads and can't say I've felt the need for a dashcam so far.
However, a shocking incident occurred a few days ago.
My wife was trying to take a U turn in Whitefield, when a mini-truck driver stopped right behind her with no place to reverse to complete the turn.
She tried a couple of times by moving a couple of inches to no avail, and the driver at the back would not budge.
At one point she touched the vehicle and immediately the driver jumped out of the car and starts to bang on the windows, kicking the car etc. His companion tries to pull him away, but gets pushed to the ground.The barrage continued, and my wife tensed up as my 6 year old son was in the car as well.
Not being in a state of mind to think about calling the cops, she called my parents, who got worried and asked her to pay & get out of there.
He extorted 3k before letting her go.

Did not even take a pic of the vehicle or the driver's harassment to report to the cops. Just the Gpay number she transferred to, which probably isn't enough to report to the cops.
^^^ Reason enough to get a dash cam for her car.

I guess at this point I am looking for the 'best' there is.
Dual channel, capacitor, HDR (I want to ensure we can figure out the number plate), and while at it, buffered recording as well.

Seems like the only option is Viofi A139 Pro?
Chatted with them on Whatsapp, and the quote is 35k with no discounts.

A funny note - I asked him why is the app rated so poorly on the play store (3.2 or so), so he sends me a screenshot of 3 other apps that are rated 2.1- 2.5 and says we are better than the others
Old 14th September 2023, 18:41   #4783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You are right!! In Skoda Slavia, the 12v socket is always on irrespective of whether the car is switched off or not. What a pain this is! Any ideas on how to bypass this to install a dashcam? Do not want to hardwire as to avoid warranty. Removing the plug from the socket all the time is simply not feasible - people do tend to forget and also damage the dashcam connector - I damaged it after 2 months of usage.
Old 14th September 2023, 19:00   #4784
BHPian

I don't see why we are so particular about wanting the number plates readable in our dashcam footages, and spending more on them. I can bet that even the most sophisticated dashcam available in the market today wouldn't be able to capture number plates in most cases.

Of course it would be a nice thing to have, but all we need is a record of an incident or accident to prove our innocence, or to show evidence of a crime/traffic violation to the cops, right? Even the simplest of the dashcams would capture the color and make of the vehicle, which would be sufficient enough for cops. If number plates are needed, the cops would take care of it. When I lost some document on the road recently, the cop told me that they can track the person through public CCTV footages installed at traffic intersections even if they can't see the plates clearly.

Just get a decent 2 channel dashcam, and be at peace. Remember, most CCTV footages are barely watchable, but in most cases, cops are fine with it. Surveillance cameras are primarily crime deterrents.
JoaTMoN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 19:08   #4785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranknair View Post
You are right!! In Skoda Slavia, the 12v socket is always on irrespective of whether the car is switched off or not.
Not sure about your car but are there any USB plug-ins in your Skoda? You could check if those remain on as well. The dashcam will work fine even with the USB slot. If your dashcam wire does not have a removable USB slot you could get a long USB cable and use that to power the camera. Similar set up works fine in my Swift and I have two cameras one at the front and another at the rear. There are powered though with a USB splitter which sits in the 12V socket. Occassionally I connect a power bank to the camera USB wire to review footage and the camera works with no problem with the power bank connected by a USB wire.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 14th September 2023 at 19:10.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks