Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2023, 10:55   #4726
BANNED

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Dear All,

1.5 years back, I finally decided to go for a dashcam and settled for 70mai M300. I did went for the economy model just to get a feel of it and to get my understanding correct about its usefulness. The model works absolutely fine for my type of vehicle uses.
To be fair, I am a noob in photography. But what I noticed is that the area of coverage on width wise cross section (left to right part, I don't know what it is call on photographic world) is a bit narrow and I can get only bonnet left tip to bonnet right tip. I have a feeling, it would have been much greater if the coverage also can includes some part of front fenders also. I tried to focus the camera angle bit downward, but ended up viewing the hood more than the road. Verna front windshield angle didn't do much on helping either.
Am I asking too much? Or should I look for some specifications if I need to upgrade the dashcam just to get the part of fenders under coverage also?
Uploading a screen grab below for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-imagedashcam.jpeg  

Old 28th August 2023, 11:15   #4727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Dear All,
But what I noticed is that the area of coverage on width wise cross section (left to right part, I don't know what it is call on photographic world) is a bit narrow and I can get only bonnet left tip to bonnet right tip. I have a feeling, it would have been much greater if the coverage also can includes some part of front fenders also.
You probably are looking for a wide angle coverage. The problem with wide angle lenses is it creates telltale fisheye effect and the distances get distorted. You will need an ideal balance which is why most dashcams go with the current kind of lenses which focuses more on the front rather to the sides. But I think there should be models with wider lens than your picture.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:27   #4728
BHPian

Had bought the safecam SC01 a product form safecam dashcam, a company based out of Pune almost 2 years back. This is a 100% made in India product and hence decided to go for it. Due to various reasons was not able to install it however this weekend got it installed. I must tell this is an amazing product with 4k recording and amazing wide-angle and clarity. Posting a couple of snaps from front and back. Will share the picture of the cam shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20230828-11.20.30-1.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20230828-11.20.30.jpeg  

sumathindra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 13:13   #4729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Had bought the safecam SC01 a product form safecam dashcam, a company based out of Pune almost 2 years back. This is a 100% made in India product and hence decided to go for it. Due to various reasons was not able to install it however this weekend got it installed. I must tell this is an amazing product with 4k recording and amazing wide-angle and clarity. Posting a couple of snaps from front and back. Will share the picture of the cam shortly.
Hi Sumathindra, nice to know that you are one of the users of Safe Cams and the quality seems to be pretty decent. Infact, I'm one of the first buyers of SC01 in 2019 to install in my Ford Ecosport and pretty happy with the image produced so far. I've not installed the rear camera since I thought it is not required though it came with rear camera too. Since they are in Pune and to encourage an Indian entity went for it and was a worthy buy for me
Organic Chlorin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 13:56   #4730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Chlorin View Post
Hi Sumathindra, nice to know that you are one of the users of Safe Cams and the quality seems to be pretty decent. Infact, I'm one of the first buyers of SC01 in 2019 to install in my Ford Ecosport and pretty happy with the image produced so far. I've not installed the rear camera since I thought it is not required though it came with rear camera too. Since they are in Pune and to encourage an Indian entity went for it and was a worthy buy for me
Can you please update me the price? And what type of battery does it have---is it the cheaper one that is potentially a fire hazard, or the safer one? I don't remember the names of those battery types, but I guess you have understood my question.
Old 28th August 2023, 14:20   #4731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can you please update me the price? And what type of battery does it have---is it the cheaper one that is potentially a fire hazard, or the safer one? I don't remember the names of those battery types, but I guess you have understood my question.
In the manual it says Battery - Super Capacitor. Hope that answers your query
sumathindra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 01:55   #4732

Hello everyone,

I have been using Viofo A129 Plus Duo dashcam. I wanted to know if there is any easy way to remove base(with 3m sticker) from windscreen.
Looks like I installed it little too behind IRVM and I have to bend forward a little to check if it's recording while driving.
RapidBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 08:48   #4733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidBoy View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been using Viofo A129 Plus Duo dashcam. I wanted to know if there is any easy way to remove base(with 3m sticker) from windscreen.
Looks like I installed it little too behind IRVM and I have to bend forward a little to check if it's recording while driving.
Check in the packing box, if you could find a thread. Otherwise use dental floss to cut though the tape. Refer below video

Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 17:35   #4734

Hello bhpians,

I am looking to buy a dual channel dashcam for my Jeep Compass. I have narrowed down to the following two options:

1. 70MAI A800S
2. Viofo A129 Plus Duo

I have read through detailed reviews of the products. I like that Viofo A129 Plus Duo has capacitor instead of a lithium battery that 70MAI A800S uses. However, the latter has 4k output vs. 2k for the former. The rear cam of Viofo is better than 70MAI but it is more expensive as well.

Which one would the community suggest I go for and why?

Thanks.
Old 29th August 2023, 20:18   #4735
BHPian

Most of the dash cams (below 6K price range) are subpar when it comes to number plate recognition from their video grabs at higher speeds - not the usual driving at 5kmph in your apartment driveway or in a traffic signal. Some are decent enough with number detection in 80% of the cases but they mostly fail for night time grabs.

Any recommendations for a decent priced model which produces good quality video in which number plate detection is possible under all conditions - daylight, bright sun, night time, in rains?

If you have installed that model of dash cam, is it possible to upload some clips under various conditions to try automatic number plate reading from those samples?
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 22:53   #4736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravp View Post
I have read through detailed reviews of the products. I like that Viofo A129 Plus Duo has capacitor instead of a lithium battery that 70MAI A800S uses. However, the latter has 4k output vs. 2k for the former. The rear cam of Viofo is better than 70MAI but it is more expensive as well.

Which one would the community suggest I go for and why?
Don't buy one without HDR if you intend to read number plates at night. It is practically useless at night. I have shared videos in my previous posts in this thread. Search with 'Viofo', you'll find them. You can see for yourself how it fares at night.

20k for dashcam without HDR seems a little expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Any recommendations for a decent priced model which produces good quality video in which number plate detection is possible under all conditions - daylight, bright sun, night time, in rains?

If you have installed that model of dash cam, is it possible to upload some clips under various conditions to try automatic number plate reading from those samples?
None. If they could sell decent dashcams at 6k, why would anybody buy expensive ones?

You'd need one with HDR, atleast 1080p at 60fps to read plates. Don't think you'd get one at price range you're expecting.

Last edited by batish : 29th August 2023 at 22:56.
Old 30th August 2023, 07:54   #4737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidBoy View Post
Hello everyone,

I came across a video clip where they sprayed wd40 and then used a flat plastic tool to lift the sticker away from the glass. You can try using dental floss or pry tool or an old credit card.
Old 30th August 2023, 10:36   #4738

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
20k for dashcam without HDR seems a little expensive.
Will you please suggest a good dashcam with HDR under 20k?
Old 30th August 2023, 17:53   #4739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravp View Post
Will you please suggest a good dashcam with HDR under 20k?
I have been using Viofo so can only suggest Viofo. You won't get any dual channel in this price but A119v3 is nice. Even Viofo A119 Mini 2 is great. Both are single channel but value for money.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:06   #4740

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I have been using Viofo so can only suggest Viofo. You won't get any dual channel in this price but A119v3 is nice. Even Viofo A119 Mini 2 is great. Both are single channel but value for money.
Noted, Batish. Thanks for your inputs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks