Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2023, 10:58   #4696
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Hi Warrior,

Any issues with the mirror cam vibrating since it is clamped onto the OEM mirror?
Not yet. Seems to be firmly placed.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 12:19   #4697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Worried if it could get fried on long journey. Am I just worrying too much?
Me too a nerd so I put my worries to rest by doing this 2 years ago.
Here is a very simple solution to the heat problem.

Procedure:
1> First buy this "Rubber Wedge Door Stopper" on Amazon.

Name:  1140.png
Views: 718
Size:  109.5 KB

2> Keep aside the rubber wedges, we just need a single white plastic cone.

Name:  Wedge.png
Views: 716
Size:  170.9 KB

3> See above, the plastic cone comes with self adhesive tape but it isn't of good quality, it won't last so remove it with WD-40. Then clean it with IPA to remove oil traces.

4> Buy a genuine 3M dual adhesive tape, watchout for fakes, there are many fakes available in the market, even on Amazon. Apply the tape first on the larger surface of the cone.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-pair.jpg

5> Clean the area on the windscreen with IPA to remove any smudges. Then lightly paste the cone on to the windscreen. Check for alignment / symmetry then insert a finger inside the wedge cavity and press hard.

6> Then, with the GPS unit attached to the unit and keeping the display ON, paste the GPS side on to the other side of the cone, with one eye on the display so that horizontal alignment is not skewed.

7> It never came off during my 2 years of usage however my car is mostly parked in shade. Even when exposed to sunlight for long hours, the unit remains cool as it does not touch the windscreeen. See below picture, few days ago I had to remove it as I am selling my car, it took quite an effort.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-final.jpg

Bonus step --> Paste the unused rubber wedges underneath your computer keyboard. A slanted keyboard is really nice / comfortable for typing and allows good visibility of keys.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-keyboard.jpg

Last edited by Chewbacca : 13th August 2023 at 12:24.
Chewbacca is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 12:54   #4698

Is the ADAS feature on Dashcams such as 70mai any good? Is it really useful in Indian conditions? Should I consider it while buying a new dashcam? What are your recommendations for dashcams? I am not concerned about the video quality as long as the information is visible day and night.
Old 13th August 2023, 13:33   #4699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthu25 View Post
Is the ADAS feature on Dashcams such as 70mai any good? Is it really useful in Indian conditions? Should I consider it while buying a new dashcam? What are your recommendations for dashcams? I am not concerned about the video quality as long as the information is visible day and night.
ADAS of dashcams is useless. In fact quite a nuisance.

Video quality is what is most important. Better quality gets you more information.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 13:45   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthu25 View Post
It depends on your budget. What's your allocated budget for it? ADAS in dashcams might not be very useful across brands in my opinion. Additionally, the voice prompts from the dashcam could become bothersome after a few minutes, especially considering the challenging road conditions in India.

Check this one - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...DFHXWA1M&psc=1 And watch a few videos on YouTube for this device with that feature ADAS Voice, which will give you a clear understanding.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 02:19   #4701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
3. HDR
4. Budget- Rs. 15000/-
AFAIK at present you can get one or the other, not both of these together.
Old 14th August 2023, 10:02   #4702
BHPian

Quote:

I want following Features in the New Dashcam not in any particular order-
1. Good Video Recording Quality
2. Capacitor Powered (No Battery powered)
3. HDR
4. Budget- Rs. 15000/-
5. GPS
6. Suction Mount (as the Dashcam needs to be shuffled between two cars- Elite i20 and Alcazar)
Except for the suction mount, Viofo A119 Mini 2 satisfies all your conditions. It is reliable too.
Old 14th August 2023, 11:53   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
AFAIK at present you can get one or the other, not both of these together.
If I want HDR Dual Channels Dashcam, by how much will I have to stretch the budget (of Rs. 15000/-)?
Old 14th August 2023, 16:09   #4704
BHPian

Quote:
If I want HDR Dual Channels Dashcam, by how much will I have to stretch the budget (of Rs. 15000/-)?
70MAI has a model for about 18k which is dual channel & has HDR support. But it does not have super capacitor & instead has a LI-ION battery in it (all 70MAI models afaik).

Other than that, only 2 CH dashcam, available in India with warranty, which does HDR is Viofo A139 Pro which will be about 35k. In that case you might consider going with 2 units of Viofo A119 Mini 2 - that will still work out cheaper than A139 Pro. Also, the rear unit of A139 Pro does 1080p without HDR (afaik) - so HDR is only on the front unit.

If HDR is a deal breaker for you & you're not willing to go to 30-35k then I'd suggest go with A119 Mini 2 on front & put up a cheaper dashcam for rear. You don't really need HDR on rear, most incidents if they occur are frontal.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 18:40   #4705
BHPian

I'm looking for equipping all vehicles of my household with dashcams.

Ideally want to do it via a fusetap - chauffeurs will invariably charge their phone via the 12v port or mess with open wiring, and splicing is absolutely no go for any potential impact on warranty. Am I on the right track?

I am also looking for someone installation support - happy to buy offline or online, but averse to DIY. Please share any recommendations in Mumbai if you have had a good experience with an accessory shop.
sidoxic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 23:38   #4706
BHPian

Hello all,

Looking for a dashcam (2 channel) for our car. I have a budget of max 20K.
I would like to go for a cam with the new Sony Starvis 2 sensor which really seems to be good at video clarity (most important requirement of a dashcam).

In my budget the only cam is 70mai A810.
I would have preferred a supercapacitor powered cam but 70mai is battery powered.

The only dual channel supercapacitor powered with the Starvis 2 sensor is Viofo A139 Pro which is a good 16K more.

So the question I have is, is the safety of a supercapacitor really that important?
I mean obviously its safe to have it and one can have the peace of mind but we havent really heard of dashcams with batteries catching fire even though there are many dashcams running for a long time all across the country presumably in all weather conditions?
So is the battery issue really being made bigger than it actually is?

Do dashcams that use batteries have protection measures in place to prevent fires?

Last edited by arijitkanrar : 16th August 2023 at 23:44. Reason: fixed info
arijitkanrar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 01:21   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Hello all,

Looking for a dashcam (2 channel) for our car. I have a budget of max 20K.
I would like to go for a cam with the new Sony Starvis 2 sensor which really seems to be good at video clarity (most important requirement of a dashcam).
If Sony Starvis 2 sensor is mandatory, there is no point of asking others. Viofo A139 pro is the only in the market with that sensor.

Quote:
In my budget the only cam is 70mai A810.
So the question I have is, is the safety of a supercapacitor really that important?

Do dashcams that use batteries have protection measures in place to prevent fires?
90% of the time, the Lithium Ion battery dashcam should work without major issues. However, if you want complete 100% peace of mind, supercapacitor dashcams are the ones to opt for. It's even more imperative if you often park your car in the open. Finally, its upto your priorities - if 10% risk is worth the saving the extra 16K, stick with the cheaper option.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 01:47   #4708
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone setup TWO wifi based cameras in the same car (front and rear)
asking as getting 2x of the entry level ones are cheaper than the cheapest dual channel ones.
How do you connect - my experience with having one is that the app autoconnects to the wifi the moment it is launched, but when there are two compatible wifi networks, is there any way to choose, or will it be just random?
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 02:59   #4709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
How do you connect - my experience with having one is that the app autoconnects to the wifi the moment it is launched, but when there are two compatible wifi networks, is there any way to choose, or will it be just random?
If you can change the network name for any of the units then it should be straightforward as you should be able to choose which wifi network to connect to in your wifi options.
Old 17th August 2023, 09:49   #4710

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Has anyone setup TWO wifi based cameras in the same car (front and rear)
asking as getting 2x of the entry level ones are cheaper than the cheapest dual channel ones.
I geuss you are considering Viofo A119 Mini2. I recently got one and hardwired it.

1. This one would fit in most of your requirements except dual channel. Camera quality is much better than most i checked out and HDR really helps.
2. Wifi doesn't automatically connect once switched on. I have to go in Viofo app and select Connect camera > Select wifi I want to connect to.
3. Not sure how other brand apps work, Viofo app has some limitation. Besides needing to manually connect through app everytime, You cannot work on anything else on your mobile once you are connected. If you switch window from app, it would stop the download and restart recording.
4. Also, the settings change through app is a little sketchy. I found not all changes got saved when done through connected app. When changed through camera menu setting, these got saved.
5. This model doesn't have provision for 60fps, even at lower res. It reads number plates clearly during both day and night if the vehicle is straight ahead (in angle of around 45deg) and driving in same direction. For vehicles coming from opposite direction or driving at fringe angles of camera, number plate readability is far lower (although camera feed is still clear). If catching number plates is of utmost importance, I feel something with 60fps would be needed.
6.Besides safety at higher temp, Longetivity of capacitor vs battery would also be a consideration. Battery has higher backup but degrades faster (I would expect 2-4yrs, degrading faster at higher temp operations and frequency of usage). Capacitor has life of maybe 10yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks