Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2023, 18:17   #4666
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

My requirement of dash cam is simple. I don’t want to see the videos at all unless we need some evidence to be shown in a situation. My other important requirement is that it should be discreet and not visible glaringly as it may create trouble for me when I am travelling through any military areas unknowingly.

I already have 360 degree camera installed by Dealer for 30 K to an already on road price of 31.5 L for my Crysta Z auto Diesel. This also records video on a 16gb flash drive whenever the cameras are activated. Whenever I want some video to be recorded on Demand, I immediately put on the left or right signal and the recording starts. It may look silly for the driver behind as he doesn’t know my intentions. To avoid this, I just walked into the car accessory shop nearest to my home and he suggested the below dash cam for 5K including installation. I immediately started looking for its price and reviews on line as I never heard the name but could not find it. The shop guy told me that there are some models which are exclusively sold on line and some models exclusively sold in shops. I trusted him and he installed it in a matter of minutes and gave me a stamped warranty card etc. So far so good. It works OK with my I phone and 64 gb card. The video is not very great but serves my purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_1272.jpeg  

Old 30th July 2023, 17:29   #4667

My last order on Aliexpress before it was blocked in India was a Viofo dash cam.. It was period when lots of packages were getting blocked in customs and either never delivered or delivered with huge duty. My dash cam never arrived but thankfully the refund did.

Coming to present times, have been seriously considering a good dash cam with parking monitor system since I moved to Noida from Gurgaon 6months back. The traffic here combined with careless drivers in parking lots have left a few scratches and lots of heartburn. Vehicle I drive is a 2014 Ecosport.

My targeted budget was upto 8-10K, but am inclined to increase it to 15k, if necessary. Reading through the forum as well as different articles, have figured following points on which would welcome inputs from experts and peers here.

1. Prefer Sony Stravis 2 sensor (either IMX675, 678, 585) over Stavis 1 (Not considering cams based on other image sensors). Does it really make as big a difference in night-time and varying light scenarios as the sony articles and videos make it to be?

2. Need to hardwire the Dash cam and activate parking monitor. Viofo talks about additional feature of motion sensor which records pre event too. Viofo product comparison also claims that in other brands recording starts a few seconds. Is that a significant factor?

3. Prefer one with Supercapacitor. Supercapacitor has advantage of slightly more acceptable temperature range, lesser chance of fire and longer lifetime compared to Li batteries. However, Supercapacitors have lower charge holding capacity compared to battery. As I am planning to hardwire, I guess it would not be a significant factor?

4. Needless to say, 5GHz wifi is a must have.

5. So is a GPS Logger.

6. Screen is preferred, but not a deal breaker.

7. I had a rear view camera installed many years ago which had a display connected over the IVRM. When i was checking fuse wiring for a DIY installation possibility, was surprised to see it was it wasn't connected to fuse box at all. Any idea how else can it powered (and be responsive when car is put in reverse gear)? Or is it something only a mechanic would be able to tell after inspection? Will it affect my DIY aspirations. Using the existing cam as reverse cam is a consideration, though not sure of its compatibility.

Basis these, following were in consideration set
Viofo 139Pro - Complete Package. Except that its way out of budget.
Viofo 129 Plus Duo - Liked this one as I can get front cam now and install rear later if I have to. But, image sensor here is Stravis and not Stravis 2. And slightly over of Budget.
Viofo A119 Mini 2 - Ticks all boxes. Has motion Sensor parking mode. But, is single channel. Would not accommodate rear cam.
DDPAI Z50 - Stravis instead of Stravis 2. Feature-wise, like Viofo A129 Plus but without motion parking sensor. And 3-4k Cheaper.
DDPAI Mini 5 - Same as Above minus display and 2k cheaper in price.
70mai A810 Dual - All ok except it has a basic Parking mode and has battery instead of Supercapacitor. And slightly over the budget.
70mai A800S - Stravis instead of Stravis 2, and same problems as A810. Almost within budget.

Among these I am more inclined towards Viofo A119 Mini2. Followed by either 70mai 810 or Viofo A129 Plus (both over the budget). DDPAI did not seem to have any model with Stravis 2 sensor.

What would be the Jury's recommendation? Suggestion based on Real-life experience with these models and their video quality? Is there any other model/ brand I am missing. Would welcome inputs if my evaluation is missing some important factors altogether. Any model within 10k which gives equally good performance and saves some money.

Long story short, which Dash cam is recommended.
lord_almighty is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 09:39   #4668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_almighty View Post
My targeted budget was upto 8-10K, but am inclined to increase it to 15k, if necessary. Reading through the forum as well as different articles, have figured following points on which would welcome inputs from experts and peers here.

1. Prefer Sony Stravis 2 sensor (either IMX675, 678, 585) over Stavis 1 (Not considering cams based on other image sensors). Does it really make as big a difference in night-time and varying light scenarios as the sony articles and videos make it to be?
Yes, there is a lot of difference especially when you consider price. Viofo is no cheap these days. If you're going for Viofo don't get one which is without HDR. You'll repent after shelling out so much.

See this video. This is of A229 Duo, which is without HDR.

Quote:
2. Need to hardwire the Dash cam and activate parking monitor. Viofo talks about additional feature of motion sensor which records pre event too. Viofo product comparison also claims that in other brands recording starts a few seconds. Is that a significant factor?
True. It is good feature provided your car's battery is in top shape and you drive every single day to keep it at the optimum levels. Why? It is because this hardwiring kit cuts off the power when battery reaches at 12V. Usually it is around 14.4V and you need atleast 12V to start your car comfortably.

If your running is low or battery is not at optimal levels, it shuts off to prevent discharge. So won't be of much use then.

Quote:
3. Prefer one with Supercapacitor. Supercapacitor has advantage of slightly more acceptable temperature range, lesser chance of fire and longer lifetime compared to Li batteries. However, Supercapacitors have lower charge holding capacity compared to battery. As I am planning to hardwire, I guess it would not be a significant factor?
Super capacitors do not hold any charge. The moment you shut off your car, camera switches to parking mode. I'd recommend avoiding battery stuff especially in Northern India where temperatures are around 45º in summers.

Quote:
4. Needless to say, 5GHz wifi is a must have.
You'll only require this to transfer files and to set it up. Very useful feature though. It makes screen redundant.

Quote:
5. So is a GPS Logger.
You'll find this in any dashcam you buy. Available in most of the dashcams these days.

Quote:
7. I had a rear view camera installed many years ago which had a display connected over the IVRM. When i was checking fuse wiring for a DIY installation possibility, was surprised to see it was it wasn't connected to fuse box at all. Any idea how else can it powered (and be responsive when car is put in reverse gear)? Or is it something only a mechanic would be able to tell after inspection? Will it affect my DIY aspirations. Using the existing cam as reverse cam is a consideration, though not sure of its compatibility.
Usually they tap power from other sources, whichever they find nearest to the accessory.

Quote:
Basis these, following were in consideration set
Viofo 139Pro - Complete Package. Except that its way out of budget.
Would be the best.

Quote:
Viofo 129 Plus Duo - Liked this one as I can get front cam now and install rear later if I have to. But, image sensor here is Stravis and not Stravis 2. And slightly over of Budget.
Don't, it doesn't have HDR.

Quote:
Viofo A119 Mini 2 - Ticks all boxes. Has motion Sensor parking mode. But, is single channel. Would not accommodate rear cam.
Would be great too.

Quote:
DDPAI Z50 - Stravis instead of Stravis 2. Feature-wise, like Viofo A129 Plus but without motion parking sensor. And 3-4k Cheaper.
DDPAI Mini 5 - Same as Above minus display and 2k cheaper in price.
70mai A810 Dual - All ok except it has a basic Parking mode and has battery instead of Supercapacitor. And slightly over the budget.
70mai A800S - Stravis instead of Stravis 2, and same problems as A810. Almost within budget.
Not familiar with other brands.

Quote:
Among these I am more inclined towards Viofo A119 Mini2. Followed by either 70mai 810 or Viofo A129 Plus (both over the budget). DDPAI did not seem to have any model with Stravis 2 sensor.
A119 Mini 2 is good too. Ticks most of your boxes.

Quote:
What would be the Jury's recommendation? Suggestion based on Real-life experience with these models and their video quality? Is there any other model/ brand I am missing. Would welcome inputs if my evaluation is missing some important factors altogether. Any model within 10k which gives equally good performance and saves some money.
Don't think you'll find anything in 10k range anymore from Viofo these days. Alas, gone are the Aliexpress days.
If you can wait, then Viofo would be releasing 2 new models soon. Don't know about the pricing yet.

Last edited by batish : 31st July 2023 at 09:42.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 10:09   #4669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing View Post
I was planning to buy the same and have a few questions , can you please help me ?
* Any specific reason to buy from Amazon ? Because the prize on Amazon currently is 4399 and on the nexdigitron website it is 3999.
* How is the app connectivity and usability ? I see a lot of reviews on the forum that DDPAI app is not so good to use.
The price on Amazon is always more than Nextdigitron by 500 to 1000. The only time I found amazon to have a better deal was during prime day sale where the price went below the quoted price on Nextdigitron and added benefits with CC discounts. I ordered a a CPL filter from Nextdigitron, they packed it neatly and shipped it to me.
Old 31st July 2023, 11:09   #4670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulmohars View Post
I did quite a bit of reading of almost all posts on Dashcams on Team-BHP and also did quite a bit of research online. Thanks everyone for sharing your views and experiences on the forum.

Post a lot of research, i zeroed in on a lesser known/ talked about Dashcam ie the IROAD X11. This is a korean make and is one of the cams in the premium segment. Am a person who likes to avoid Chinese products largely due to their unreliability, i do not mind spend the few extra bucks when a choice is available.

While Thinkware and Blackvue are super premium and out of reach, i personally feel that Viofo and IROAD are good VFM products. Pls do note Viofo is a Chinese product but is reliable and extensively sold in the European markets. IROAD is largely focussed in the Asian markets ie Japan, Singapore, Australia, Hongkong and over the last year or so available in India.

I got this fitted today on both my i10 and XL6 and the quality seems pretty good. License plates clarity is good, the app for iphone is intuitive and easy to use and it records in segments and hence easy to pick the videos you require. Will share more on user experience over the next few days.

If there are other users of IROAD, would like to hear from them too.

Thanks
Hi, does IROAD use Li ion batteries, or super capacitor? Sorry, I wasn't able to figure it out from their website.
Old 31st July 2023, 11:28   #4671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing View Post
I was planning to buy the same and have a few questions , can you please help me ?
* Any specific reason to buy from Amazon ? Because the prize on Amazon currently is 4399 and on the nexdigitron website it is 3999.
* How is the app connectivity and usability ? I see a lot of reviews on the forum that DDPAI app is not so good to use.
Nexdigitron is the seller on Amazon as well. It might be charged extra due to Amazon commission. However when you order via Amazon, you get Amazon customer support to help with any delivery issues / return /replacement as per the TnC. You may also like to avail prime offers or card cashback if applicable.

It's up to you whether you prefer to buy directly from Nexdigitron or via Amazon.

70mai android app is reasonable and can be used to transfer recordings to phone.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 31st July 2023 at 11:37.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 23:49   #4672

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Ye
If you can wait, then Viofo would be releasing 2 new models soon. Don't know about the pricing yet.
I am also looking for viofo mini 2. Only drawback is no option to add rear camera. Its out of stock on amazon and viofo.in

Any idea of release date and model series.
Old 1st August 2023, 00:34   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_in View Post
I am also looking for viofo mini 2. Only drawback is no option to add rear camera. Its out of stock on amazon and viofo.in

Any idea of release date and model series.
Release would be August end/September probably. Series would be A229 - with improved sensor and HDR.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 01:41   #4674

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav_in View Post
Had checked with Viofo support team. Said it will be back in stock in 5-6 days.

Quote:
If you're going for Viofo don't get one which is without HDR. You'll repent after shelling out so much.

See this video. This is of A229 Duo, which is without HDR.
Thanks.. Hadn't checked HDR benefit in detail. Realize now that it definitely makes a significant difference.

Quote:
If your running is low or battery is not at optimal levels, it shuts off to prevent discharge. So won't be of much use then.
Car runs almost 7 days a week, so shouldn't be an issue. However, if ever I want to switch it off does hard-wired dash cam have a power off switch or is it just pulling out power cable?

Quote:
A119 Mini 2 is good too. Ticks most of your boxes.
Thanks. Gravitating towards this. Only if had dual channel, would have been finalized by now. Also, its out of stock everywhere.

Quote:
If its A229 series, I doubt it will be anywhere less than 28-30k range.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st August 2023 at 08:27. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
lord_almighty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 15:13   #4675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Nexdigitron is the seller on Amazon as well. It might be charged extra due to Amazon commission. However when you order via Amazon, you get Amazon customer support to help with any delivery issues / return /replacement as per the TnC. You may also like to avail prime offers or card cashback if applicable.

It's up to you whether you prefer to buy directly from Nexdigitron or via Amazon.

70mai android app is reasonable and can be used to transfer recordings to phone.
I know 2 friends who have purchased cams directly from Nexdigitron. The price is less when compared to Amazon. However you will get faster deliver if you order from Amazon, on the other hand, delivery from Nexdigitron would take 1-2 weeks or more.
Allwynstanley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 19:16   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Had checked with Viofo support team. Said it will be back in stock in 5-6 days.
Please update the thread once you order. I am also waiting for its availability.

Thanks
ImranHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 22:50   #4677
BHPian

Quote:
Car runs almost 7 days a week, so shouldn't be an issue. However, if ever I want to switch it off does hard-wired dash cam have a power off switch or is it just pulling out power cable?
Nope. There's no power off switch in hardwiring kit. There is slide switch for setting minimum voltage at which it will cut off power to dashcam to switch it off, to prevent battery drain and save some juice to start the vehicle.

You can switch it off from camera itself. Nothing complicated. Just go to parking mode and choose 'Off'. Refer my A229 thread I have posted camera menu images.

Quote:
If its A229 series, I doubt it will be anywhere less than 28-30k range.
Considering the prices now, it is quite possible.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 22:58   #4678
BHPian

Hello All,

I need advice on buying the best 3 channel dashcam that should not burn our pockets. It should have parking mode and super capacitors. Any advice?

Thanks,
TK
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 23:16   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Hello All,

I need advice on buying the best 3 channel dashcam that should not burn our pockets. It should have parking mode and super capacitors. Any advice?

Thanks,
TK
I got wolfbox i07, a 3 channel, capacitor based dashcam for 16k, including a memory card and hardwire kit. It has a continuous and time-lapse recording mode for parking, but not buffered parking mode. This one is a standalone setup, but they also have rear view mirror models as well.

Last edited by JoaTMoN : 1st August 2023 at 23:18.
JoaTMoN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:36   #4680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranHyd View Post
Please update the thread once you order. I am also waiting for its availability.
Got message from viofo team, Most of their Dashcams are back in stock on their website.

They are pretty responsive on the whatsapp chat, if anyone has any query.
lord_almighty is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks