Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 16:27   #3751
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Airlines allow to carry power banks only in hand baggage, so that if there is fire, people will notice it sooner. When a power bank is left inside a car to power a dashcam, people may not be around all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Exactly.
Additionally, even if say the power bank is not connected to anything and nothing is drawing any power from it, still in a hot car, the battery can get heated and even catch fire.
True, possibilities are limitless and power banks aren't the trigger every time. My neighbor's Esteem caught on fire in Madras 20 something years ago. Started with the steering and then progressed. Some said short circuit, others said Madras heat.

I've invested on a 'premium' power bank and believe it's safer than tapping wires.
Old 11th January 2022, 16:18   #3752

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
In my case, the pipe is big while the draw is just a trickle. It would only overheat when you draw large currents from it, 18W fast charge and so on. Airline folks are fine with me carrying it and that's reason enough for me to not worry about using it in my car.
Hi Vinu, wondering if you had to make any adjustments to connect the dashcam to the battery pack.
I bought a Mi power bank which has trickle charge option, but even with that, the dashcam switches off after 2 hours as the power bank shutdowns after sometime.

I see nexdigitron is selling dedicated dashcam batteries which get charged by the cigarette lighter, which are priced at the same level as an entry level dashcam.
satyakidas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:18   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyakidas View Post
Hi Vinu, wondering if you had to make any adjustments to connect the dashcam to the battery pack.
I bought a Mi power bank which has trickle charge option, but even with that, the dashcam switches off after 2 hours as the power bank shutdowns after sometime.
Hi Satya - No adjustments whatsoever. Invested on a good quality powerbank like Anker and placed it on the sun visor with a very short cable to the dashcam that's right beside it. This is a 20000 mah power bank and lasts 24 hrs. I only use the power bank when I am driving or when parked on the road or at malls etc.

Note - Photo is a few months old, but, gives you a fair idea of my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img20210831wa0000.jpg  

vinu_h is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 12:52   #3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hi Satya - No adjustments whatsoever. Invested on a good quality powerbank like
=============
Note - Photo is a few months old, but, gives you a fair idea of my setup.
Hope its switched on only when you are in covered parking and not under the direct sunlight. How safe is power banks inside a locked car?
live_2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:15   #3755
Senior - BHPian

The battery pack from Nexdigitron is completely sold-out. Even Capacitors have a optimal-operating temperature range, so are as safe/unsafe as batteries
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_2drive View Post
Hope its switched on only when you are in covered parking and not under the direct sunlight. How safe is power banks inside a locked car?
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screen-shot-20220112-3.12.21-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:59   #3756
BHPian

Hi all, what software do you all use to combine / edit the dashcam videos? I have hours of videos from our December trip that I'm trying to put together. Tried the inbuilt Windows 10 video editor and that was a big pain. Anything that's faster and easier to use?

Thanks !
Old 14th January 2022, 17:59   #3757
BHPian

Facing a strange problem with my DDPAI mini which is hardwired. The power is tapped from the cigarettes' lighter fuse via a fuse-tap.

When the car is switched to ACC mode, the dashcam is switched-on however it is getting switched-off automatically after 2 minutes. To get the dashcam to switch-on in the ACC mode (after it switches off) i have to take out the key and then switch to ACC mode again.

Has anyone faced a similar issue or could it be the battery.

Note: This does not seems to be happening when the engine is running and hence the suspicion on the battery.

Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 20:53   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
When the car is switched to ACC mode, the dashcam is switched-on however it is getting switched-off automatically after 2 minutes.
. . .
Has anyone faced a similar issue or could it be the battery.
Please check your car manual if anything is mentioned about switching off cigarette lighter after two minutes. As the car is starting, it may not be battery issue, rather it might be a function to preserve battery.

I have "one hour mode" displayed in my TUV300 when the key is on ACC position. It will shutdown the infotainment system plus some other things after one hour to preserve battery.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 19:48   #3759

Installing Dashcam in my Baleno Delta

It all started with an itch to install a dashcam on my car. I wanted to install a dashcam in my Baleno LXI ’05. But could never finalize one at that time and the wish was buried!!

Last year when I bought my new car, this wish sparked again. In last 1 year I have ended up paying hefty fines for various signals that I never actually jumped, for over speeding when I was actually well within the speed limit, and a few more such instances!! And all this combined with my highway journeys, I finally decided to install a Dashcam in my car. I shortlisted the 70mai A800 duel vision and the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S. After a quick comparison, decided to go for the A500S. Ordered it on Amazon. Also ordered a Samsung 128 GB memory card and 70mai hard wire kit with fuse Taps. Here’s the total cost of package:

Dashcam: Rs. 10,499
Memory Card: Rs. 1099
Hardwire Kit: Rs.1599
Total: Rs. 13,197

The dashcam arrived within 3 days and I installed it on the following day. The box has following content:

• Front Camera Unit
• Rear Camera Unit
• USB Power Cable
• Rear camera connection cable
• 2* Electrostatic Stickers for front camera
• 2* Electrostatic Stickers for rear camera
• 1* Pry Tool
• 1* Cigarette Lighter Car Charger
• 1* Heat Resistant sticker for front camera
• 1* Heat Resistant sticker for rear camera
• Printed Material for front and rear cameras

Here are some pictures of the packaging and the contents:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6986.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6987.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6988.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6990.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6991.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6992.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6993.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6994.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6996.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6997.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_6998.jpg

The complete installation took not more than 30 minutes and it was a DIY! I concealed the rear camera wiring under the roof liner and the power runs through the roof, into the driver side ‘A’ pillar to the USB socket in the central console. I’ll replace it with the hardwire kit once it arrives.
I took the car for a small drive after the installation to calibrate the ADAS. The ADAS system works just fine once calibrated. Don’t expect it to work like the one on the XUV700 but the alerts are prompt. As per my understanding, it alerts the driver basis the speed of the vehicle and the distance from the one in the front. The quality on both the cameras is good and the recording is clear.

The system records clips simultaneously from both front and the rear camera. Each clip is of 3 minutes and the combined size is approx. 700 MBs (500 MBs for front and 200 MBs for rear). The mobile app is user friendly and easy-to-use. Gets connected to the camera via a hotspot.

I tried reading the number plate of one of the passing car from the rear camera's recording. Though it isn't crystal clear, however, was readable. Overall, the initial impression of the product is great and it exceeds my expectation. Will test is for some time and will share my views.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-untitled.png
sramdev9 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:32   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
I have hours of videos from our December trip that I'm trying to put together. Tried the inbuilt Windows 10 video editor and that was a big pain. Anything that's faster and easier to use?
In the last few days, I have been putting some effort to learn Shotcut video editor using YouTube tutorials. Shotcut is free and open source. I have found it much better than the Windows 10 Video Editor.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 22:31   #3761
BHPian

The itch to get a dashcam has been there for sometime, I have been windowshoping for a while and finally got the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S through Amazon today, it came at a discounted price of 9,999

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20220117_153143.jpg

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20220117_153653.jpg

Would try update the thread with installation experience ��
Arayan5614 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 09:48   #3762
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered the 70mai A400 dual channel Dashcam from Amazon yday, yet to receive the product. Any body installed the same can share their reviews/installation tips. Will be using the dual channel for the first time. The car to be installed is Tata Harrier.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 01:41   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have ordered the 70mai A400 dual channel Dashcam from Amazon yday, yet to receive the product. Any body installed the same can share their reviews/installation tips. Will be using the dual channel for the first time. The car to be installed is Tata Harrier.
There are many dashcam installation post throughout Team-Bhp. I installed 70mai A500+ dual channel dashcam in my Seltos. Should be similar for Harrier too. Check it out here (Review: A Glacier White Pearl Kia Seltos GTX+ Diesel Automatic).
dipdawiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 19:14   #3764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have installed the dual-channel Dashcam on my Harrier. The dashcam is from 70mai.

For the front cam, the way I wired was, roof-liner, A-pillar, roof-liner again, bring it down through the B-pillar, under the co-passenger seat, and connected it to the USB holder behind the arm-rest. Initially, I tested it with a power bank to check if everything worked.

For the rear-cam, I did pretty much similar to the front-cam until the B-pillar then moved along the roof liner and then to the boot door liner. I have fixed my cam on the boot glass. I have left around half-to-one feet of wire dangling so as to not hamper when I open and close the boot.

But, In the end, both channels work. I used the plastic prier to push the wires inside the A/B pillar covers.
shashi792 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 19:45   #3765
BHPian

Is CPL filter absolutely necessary or in most cases, we can do without it ? If yes it would be great if someone can link the CPL filter for 70mai dashcams since trying to find them on amazon is a task and I am not getting anything.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed