Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:13   #3481
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Thanks Dharmen for sharing these. A few questions:

1. How is the video quality? Would be great if you can share some real-world footage.

2. Can you see the number plates of vehicles etc. (especially from the rear camera)? Is glare a problem?

3. Can the hardwiring done as DIY? Or professionals are required?

4. The material seems to be some form of cheap plastic - would it stand the heat of Indian weather? How does it feel in person?
1 and 2. Video has very good resolution. I don’t have a clip readily available to upload and will inbox you later on. Attaching pictures both front and rear. It was raining heavily when this was taken so you may find little distortion due to continuous wiper movements. Auto rickshaw you see is from rear camera, you can see the number plates clearly. Front videos are 80 MB file for 1 minute clip and rear is 60 MB file. One downside I found is there is no option to reduce the resolutions.

3. Hardwiring can be done DIY. I faced challenge in routing the cable to rear camera neatly and visited the installer to ensure the same. It was worth.

4. The material does not sound super premium but is acceptable. Does not feel cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-61b5f3c7a53f45f0a1077e12fb14eb38.jpeg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-6e7c61bbb90a456992403256227b9638.jpeg  

Dharmen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:03   #3482
BHPian

Need advise on installation of dual dash cam
I have got 70 MAI dual dashcam to install in my Octavia; but unfortunately I am not able to find a solution to install the rear cam without any cuts. Can someone throw light on how to get this done?
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:54   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmen View Post
Auto rickshaw you see is from rear camera, you can see the number plates clearly.
Please check setting for rear cam, you are getting mirror image. In dash cams you can read number plate as normal and not as in rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
Need advise on installation of dual dash cam
Can someone throw light on how to get this done?
Can you be little more specific which wire you need to cut? If you don’t need parking mode, no need for complicated hard wiring. Just 12v plug and play is good enough. Please search forum for dash cam hardwiring DIY it will give you all the idea about wire routing as well as hard wiring via fuse tap.
Old 24th July 2021, 15:02   #3484
BHPian

Hello Team bhpians ,
My camera requirements are a little different. I live in apartment complex with multi level podium parking.
Off late, there have been incidents of Fuel thefts from the parked cars. Also , there have been sporadic instances, where mischief mongers have scratched or defaced new cars.
Because of continuous rains, children have started playing high impact games like football in the parking podium, instead of designated play areas. All these are giving me sleepless nights , for the fear of my cars getting damaged.
I need surveillance monitoring for my cars .
I checked both 70 Mai and DDPAI dashcams. Even though both have parking surveillance, the system does not do automatic monitoring, when ignition is not on. The system gets active only impact is there. There is no provision for Time lapse or if minimum impact harm like scratching or fuel theft . So both seem inadequate for my needs.
What is the opinion of experts on our forums.
Should I contemplate installing CCTV , in my garage area. Or if there any dashcams , which can give good time lapse coverage, within budget of 10k.
Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by NitSat : 24th July 2021 at 15:13.
NitSat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 00:45   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Update: Today the DDPAI Z40 was launched. And it is available for pre-order. ...Total invoice value Rs. 12,947/-.....Now I am waiting for the unit. Shipment will start from 25th July, as per the website. Will update with feedback.
Update: Today I visited the "Hello Car" store in Lajpat Nagar, Delhi, referred by the dealer Nexdigitron service person for installation of the DDPAI Z40 dash cam. I called up Mr. Rohit of Hello Car yesterday for installation appointment today at 10:30 AM. But due to Guru Purnima puja I had to visit somewhere. Informed the stored that I'll late. Finally I could reach the store by 2:30 PM.

The dash cam installation was done by Mr. Rohit himself. First he explained me the route options. He said it's better to avoid puncture/ cutting of any flexible conduit, cable openings etc. near the hatch area. He laid the cables nicely. Another technician did the fusebox termination. Time taken was approximately 1 hour.

Video quality, picture quality of the dash cam are not good. I am not able to read any number plates. And the exposure seems to be very low! All plastic stickers on lens were removed. There is no provision of CPL filter. Still, the exposure was low. I need to check the settings options in details.

There seems to be some bug in the rear camera. The video, still images taken are all inverted. It should not be the case. I'll report to DDPAI. Don't think they would bother to rectify.

The phone App is not smooth at all. It doesn't get connected with the dash cam easily through WiFi.

The 10 second video size is about 25-30 MB. I could not understand why it couldn't capture number plate details.

I have attached some sample photos, and screen shot of a video of rear cam. I'll update if there is any improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-g_20210724173429_013_0005_l.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-g_20210724173630_025_0005_l.jpg  

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-screenshot_20210725002304.png  

RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 07:24   #3486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There seems to be some bug in the rear camera. The video, still images taken are all inverted. It should not be the case. I'll report to DDPAI. Don't think they would bother to rectify.
Take it back to the installer and ask them to rotate the camera 180 degrees? You could do it yourself too.

BTW, did you not notice all these issues after installation, at the installer's place?

Since your product is under warranty and you have got it installed by the company recommended installer, ask them to either fix the issues to your satisfaction, or ask for your money back.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 08:08   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
BTW, did you not notice all these issues after installation, at the installer's place?
Actually this was my shortcoming. I couldn't understand that rear image is coming inverted. The rear camera lens was facing towards the store display area which was full of head unit package boxes. So it was kind of a square matrix!

When the rear cam has a 360 deg rotation provision, the image/ video shall not be inverted in one position. If you see the brand name, cam information, speed etc. details in the image, those are imprinted correctly (not in inverted fashion). Hence I think there is a bug.
Old 25th July 2021, 11:58   #3488
BHPian

Hello guys,
Is anyone of you using a Samsung Evo plus sd card with a 70 mai dashcam?
I recently bought a 70mai pro plus + rear cam set. I also bought a samsung Evo plus class 10 U3 sd card 64gb from flipkart. However, whenever I insert the sd card, the dashcam says 'sd card level low, needs upgrading'. Sometimes, it reaches the format stage and even if format succeeds successfully, the dashcam returns back to format in a loop. I got another replacement from flipkart and same thing is happening with the new card as well. The card works well in laptop.
Also, I tried to use an old Sandisk Ultra 32gb class 10 card and it works perfectly in the dashcam.
What could be the problem here? The samsung Evo plus card is a well recommended card for dashcams. I have also updated the 70 mai firmware.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:10   #3489
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I also bought a Samsung Evo plus class 10 U3 sd card 64GB from Flipkart. However, whenever I insert the sd card, the dashcam says 'sd card level low, needs upgrading'. Sometimes, it reaches the format stage and even if the format succeeds successfully, the dashcam returns back to format in a loop. I got another replacement from Flipkart and the same thing is happening with the new card as well. The card works well on the laptop.
I think this SD card is NOT compatible with dashboard cameras.

Quote:
Application - Samsung Evo plus class 10 U3 sd card 64GB
Mobile phones, smartphones, Tablet, etc

Warranty does not extend to the dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive uses
You'll need to get micro SD cards specifically built for this purpose. Look at Endurance type cards and also micro SD (Video) cards from Lexar. Here's what the Application section says for the Endurance type of cards:

Quote:
Application
Surveillance (IP/Home/Network) cam, Dash cam, Body cam, and other always-on applications.
Link to Endurance micro SD cards from Samsung.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th July 2021 at 12:15.
Old 26th July 2021, 01:17   #3490
BHPian

I am looking for a dash cam (front only) for my creta. Purpose is largely recording in case of a mishap. Parking is covered and secured in both apartment & at office.

have narrowed down to DDPAI mini dash cam or A2 or 70MAI smart dashcam 1s. Both are similarly priced in the current sale at amazon and have good reviews. Any of the two recommended by members here? or any other i may consider. Budget <5k.
Old 26th July 2021, 09:43   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Video quality, picture quality of the dash cam are not good. I am not able to read any number plates. And the exposure seems to be very low! All plastic stickers on lens were removed. There is no provision of CPL filter. Still, the exposure was low. I need to check the settings options in details.

There seems to be some bug in the rear camera. ...

The phone App is not smooth at all. It doesn't get connected with the dash cam easily through WiFi.

The 10 second video size is about 25-30 MB. I could not understand why it couldn't capture number plate details.
Hi @RijuC,

Any improvement over the weekend with this dashcam.

I am thinking of getting the same model and didn't expect issues with video quality (especially the rear camera).

I am curious to see how good Nextdigitron customer service is.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 11:01   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hi @RijuC,

Any improvement over the weekend with this dashcam.

I am thinking of getting the same model and didn't expect issues with video quality (especially the rear camera).

I am curious to see how good Nextdigitron customer service is.
Nexdigitron customer service responded yesterday (Sunday) on whatsapp which I didn't expect, being holiday.

Coming to rear cam set-up first. Nexdigitron reply was the image/ video won't rotate if we rotate from interior to exterior. We need to change the installation direction for either of the mode. Hence I pulled it out and fixed again with the lens direction to exterior view from hatch door. Now the image & video are proper, and interior image/ video is inverted/ upside down.

I am attaching an image when it was pointed towards interior (before the change above). Though it is extremely grainy, but somewhat ok considering the low light condition inside all black interior. The installer Mr. Rohit of Hello Car tried to keep the rear cam mount concealed within the metal frame part. Now in this new position rear cam mount could be seen from outside.

Apart from that, I could feel the front camera unit is getting heated up (I guess about 50-60 deg C). But today I could see this product in Amazon, and it was mentioned the units get heated up while in operation. So it is normal I guess.

However, the video quality when the car is moving is not good at all. I mean it cannot live up to its sony imx 335 sensor or 2k claimed resolution. Probably I am expecting too much from a tiny 5 MP sensor!!

I couldn't find any relevant setting for the image/ video exposure control (may be I am expecting too much in a dash cam. I am more used to DSLR).

One good thing is speaker volume can be controlled through the app. It's funny to hear that "dingdingpie" during startup!!

If you need to see the sample videos you can PM me, I can share those through whatsapp etc.

Amazon price is INR 9999/- now (I bought it for 9499/-). But using some specific bank offers, you can get upto 999/- off.

This is my first dash cam, and none from my friend circle have dash cam. Hence I am not able to compare the videos and images. YouTube videos of DDPAI and 70mai are much better than what I am seeing from this Z40. There seems to be a firmware update available. But I am not able to download it through ddpai app and mobile. The app is really good for nothing (except the speaker volume control).
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-b_20210725115204.jpg  

RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 11:57   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
However, the video quality when the car is moving is not good at all. I mean it cannot live up to its sony imx 335 sensor or 2k claimed resolution. Probably I am expecting too much from a tiny 5 MP sensor!!
I couldn't find any relevant setting for the image/ video exposure control (may be I am expecting too much in a dash cam. I am more used to DSLR).
If you need to see the sample videos you can PM me, I can share those through whatsapp etc.
Amazon price is INR 9999/- now (I bought it for 9499/-). But using some specific bank offers, you can get upto 999/- off.
Happy to hear that the rear camera issue is fixed.

I guess it's might be the processor playing spoil sport. Unlike some other ddpai models (which use a HiSilicon processor) this one uses a SigmaStar 8629q processor.

It might take some time for them to figure out how to best make use of this processor. The firmware update might help but the app not functioning well is a major concern.

Can you upload day and night capture samples to your Google drive account and just share those specific files here? It will benefit others too and I guess most SM apps tend to run their own compression algorithms on any video data sent over them which would make any video we see not a true 1:1 representation of quality.

I actually plan to buy a dashcam by tomorrow using Amazon prime day sale with HDFC card.

Edit: Also, can you let me know which phone you are using right now (I am using my mom's Oppo A5 for now). It might be an issue with the phone rather than the app.

Last edited by JithinR : 26th July 2021 at 12:00. Reason: Additional question added
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 12:34   #3494
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's might be the processor playing spoil sport. Unlike some other ddpai models (which use a HiSilicon processor) this one uses a SigmaStar 8629q processor....

Can you upload day and night capture samples to your Google drive account and just share those specific files here? It will benefit others too and I guess most SM apps tend to run their own compression algorithms on any video data sent over them which would make any video we see not a true 1:1 representation of quality.....

Edit: Also, can you let me know which phone you are using right now (I am using my mom's Oppo A5 for now). It might be an issue with the phone rather than the app.
The processor could be an issue here. I am also not happy to this unknown name. Hope DDPAI release proper firmware update soon.

Social media videos get compressed hence I am not providing link here. However, you can search in facebook with the name Rajat Chakraborty. I have marked the posts with #z40rearcam and #z40frontcam (not sure whether it is allowed to provide such information in this forum).

I am not an IT guy. Hence do not know how to upload video in youtube or make channel.

I am using a Motorola one fusion plus Android based mobile. Mobile seems to be ok, I use this phone for Nikon DSLR wifi interface and photo/ video download. Those just work fine.

Please note wifi works on 2.4 GHz band only. No 5 GHz band.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 13:48   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
...It might take some time for them to figure out how to best make use of this processor. The firmware update might help but the app not functioning well is a major concern.

Can you upload day and night capture samples to your Google drive account and just share those specific files here?
Update: I had a conversation with Nexdigitron customer service. They advised to wait for some more time for the firmware update.

Meanwhile, they suggested the same procedure as you mentioned to upload the files in Google drive. Take the memory Card out and put it in PC/ Laptop. Transfer the files in Google drive for lossless transmission. I'll try this.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks