Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 10:55   #3391
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post

My query is Do i really the need the GPS module?
HAs any one really found it useful apart from it displaying speed and the co-ordinates.

If there is no perceived major use, I'd rather not buy the GPS module at all.
GPS module will show you the speed and co-ordinates in the recorded video. In case if you need to show the video as a proof and you are legit, it will really help. In my opinion, go for GPS based one.
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 19:05   #3392
BHPian

Hi all,

After going through some youtube reviews and also this thread I am confused and would like your help.

I have a budget of max 7K for a dashcam for my car and because of the pandemic am unable to order anything through gearbest and Aliexpress. Basically forced to buy off Amazon. I have simple requirements it should have good enough quality to be able to read number plates in day and night, would prefer to have a screen(can compromise), safe to leave inside a car parked under hot sun(car color is black as well) and must have a reliable and user friendly app.

The two popular brands seem to be 70mai and DDPai. 70Mai comes with a screen and good video quality, app but with a Li-Polymer battery. Hence might be unsafe to leave it inside the car while it is parked under the sun.

DDPai on the other hand has competent products but no built in screen and also heard the app is not so great in comparison to 70mai. But it comes with a Super Capacitor which is safer.

So which brand would you suggest ? Am I overthinking on the battery part ? Should I just go for the 70mai ?

Edit : I already have a Xiaomi Mi Dashcam bought from Gearbest in my other car for the past 5 years and have had a superb experience with the Xiaomi product. Hence the confusion if I should just go for 70mai instead of DDPai.

Last edited by Shanksta : 18th March 2021 at 19:08.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:36   #3393
BANNED

Update for all dash cam buyers:

There is another site called deal extreme, which resolves to the url dx.com.
They generally ship products from HK and not main-land china, due to the embargo that we have with china right now.

I was looking up the prices from below and rates have increased very highly, due to a monopoly established because of bans on Aliexpress/Baba and other Chinese sites.

TLDR- stick to buying from reputable Indian sites or amazon.in, even if its a lil pricier,

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th March 2021 at 00:48.
Rama Kumara is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th March 2021, 21:57   #3394
Senior - BHPian

Have been offered a Maxxlink ML 512 DVR with front and rear camera and a 4.3 inch monitor for Rs.4500/-. How good is this make? There seems to be a shortage of good dashcams on Amazon or any other reliability sites.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 14:23   #3395
BANNED

PROBLEM WITH 70MAI DASHCAM PRO

Just got the older dashcam called 70mai dashcam pro from Here.
The video footage is very grainy at best, the license plates are un-readable even during bright sunny mornings.

Is there a way to resolve this poor footage? For now, i have scaled down video to 1440p instead of the default 1944p.
My car wind-shield has a sun-film installed on it. Will that cause an issue?

Also, is there a way to reduce the effects of reflection on the dashcam footage? I see all sorts of things placed on dashboard (like anti slip mat, coins etc) appear no dashcam footage!

Last edited by Rama Kumara : 26th March 2021 at 14:26. Reason: hi
Rama Kumara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 15:09   #3396
BHPian

Any feedback on the ADAS features on the 70mai A500, believe they advertise it supports collision alerts and lane departure alerts.

Thanks.
monish_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:10   #3397
BHPian

I am looking for a Dashcam, however, with a battery instead of running it using the Cigarette socket. Do not want wiring to be done (I can't have a wire running in front of me even for few mm.

I am even thinking to use GoPro camera as a Dashcam. If anyone else has been doing that or have another solution, please share. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th April 2021, 19:51   #3398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
I am looking for a Dashcam, however, with a battery instead of running it using the Cigarette socket. Do not want wiring to be done (I can't have a wire running in front of me even for few mm.
Sounds a bit too impractical in my opinion mate. Hard-wiring done right should blend in. GoPro or a Phone will only be a stop gap. It wont provide you with Parking record feature, motion sensor etc... If you are happy enough to spend 30-40 on a GoPro 8-9 might as well spend on a good dual channel dash cam and hardwire kit
MMinor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:48   #3399
BHPian

I could see a new dashcam model A400 of 70mai make (both front cam @6k and front+rear combo @8k) listed in Nexdigitron website. I guess it's a budget range upcoming model.

The specification sheet does not mention anything on ADAS, GPS etc. It is a battery based model, having a tiny display screen of 2 inch size.

I could not understand whether the dashcam can be removed from the windshield or it will remain in place always? Otherwise it is not suitable for the summer months in Gurgaon.

Does the dashcam with battery (Lithium polymer etc) and display screen work in Delhi-NCR summer? Such models with easy removal fitment would be suitable. Otherwise we have to search models with super capacitor?
RijuC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:44   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post

I could not understand whether the dashcam can be removed from the windshield or it will remain in place always? Otherwise it is not suitable for the summer months in Gurgaon.

Does the dashcam with battery (Lithium polymer etc) and display screen work in Delhi-NCR summer? Such models with easy removal fitment would be suitable. Otherwise we have to search models with super capacitor?
I checked youtube video on this model and it shows the cam being directly pasted on windscreen and from this it looks like, we will not be able to remove the display if parked in sun.
Based on the models available in NEX Digitron site, looks only DDPAI has Super capacitor and displayless cams which manage upto 85C.

Last edited by concorde24 : 9th April 2021 at 15:49.
concorde24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 12:40   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainali View Post
I recently got it hard wired from a place called car tunes, it's in whitefield. No wire cutting just connected to the fuse and they knew how to connect rear and front cam in a 6 air bag car. I had the dashcam as well has hardwire kit and all they charged me was Rs 1000.
The only problem is, I am noticing some noise from the panels they opened(not exactly rattling). Planning to get it fixed in first service. Kia service center denied on the face when I asked if they can install the dashcam. They were not co-operative when I told I wanted to install a dashcam for my own safety. This is Naara Kia Bangalore I am talking about.

The person whom I spoke to from Kia service center did mention, as long I don't cut original wires and not meddle with the wiring its not going to impact the warranty.
Hi I am contemplating to buy a dashcam for my Tucson (to be delivered soon). I am concerned whether it will void warranty. Tucson comes with Wonder Warranty, I shall be taking the 5 year option. I am looking for recommendation on ADAS based, front/back models however concerned about whether rear camera will be wired? void warranty? 70mai and DDPAI are the ones I found with good ratings.

I have been using a dashcam I bought from UK however the challenge I face that after over 3 years of use the vacuum lock does not work well and when parked in Sun, after I come back, find it fallen on the dash. There is no way to get another one as it is a proprietary slot integrated with the windscreen vacuum lock.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th April 2021, 14:51   #3402
BHPian

My 70 mai dash cam sticker (not the Electrostatic Sticker) damaged and every time it falls down. Is there any alternative solution to stick it in windshield properly?
Old 13th April 2021, 08:53   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
PROBLEM WITH 70MAI DASHCAM PRO

Just got the older dashcam called 70mai dashcam pro from Here.
The video footage is very grainy at best, the license plates are un-readable even during bright sunny mornings.

Is there a way to resolve this poor footage? For now, i have scaled down video to 1440p instead of the default 1944p.
My car wind-shield has a sun-film installed on it. Will that cause an issue?

Also, is there a way to reduce the effects of reflection on the dashcam footage? I see all sorts of things placed on dashboard (like anti slip mat, coins etc) appear no dashcam footage!
A polarised filter will help
Old 13th April 2021, 09:54   #3404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
My 70 mai dash cam sticker (not the Electrostatic Sticker) damaged and every time it falls down. Is there any alternative solution to stick it in windshield properly?
Yes, get 3M double-sided tape - it sticks even better than some of the double-sided tapes that come with dashcams. I have even my number plates fixed to the car's body using 3M double-sided tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
I am even thinking to use GoPro camera as a Dashcam. If anyone else has been doing that or have another solution, please share. Thanks in advance.
With my experience using battery-powered dashcams (they still will require wiring), I would say this is a bad idea. Heat will make sure that the battery goes bad permanently, soon into your usage. Your best option is to get a super-capacitor based dashcam, and hardwire with the help of a technician (or you can even DIY) by hiding the wiring effectively. You don't need to use the ciggy socket at all. I tap power from the OBD2 port. Many people use fuse taps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1225160049.jpg

This is my car's cockpit - there is a dashcam and there's wiring too! But it's not really visible.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th April 2021 at 10:06.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 12:22   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is my car's cockpit - there is a dashcam and there's wiring too! But it's not really visible.
hi the cockpit looks very cool, I want to install in my Tucson, will it void warranty if I tap power from OBD2 port!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2021 at 12:24. Reason: quote trimmed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks