Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 09:58   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
IT's called a GoPro or SJCam. Both of these will work with handlebar mount or helmet or chest cam mount.
Thanks - My key requirement was that it should be at a price point where it wouldn't hurt to be stolen. Any GoPro is expensive. SJCAM's are cheap but are not waterproof without the housing, which means they cannot be powered permanently. The costlier SJCAM's are, well, costly!
So, neither device actually meets the target use case. Moreover, I would need TWO of those, further pushing up costs.
Old 18th March 2020, 14:11   #2942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Apologies for bumping up my previous post, which saw Zero response!
Blueskysea B1M and Innovv C3.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 17:03   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Blueskysea B1M and Innovv C3.
Thanks, but the former is expensive and the latter has issues with respect to battery getting hot and possibly exploding.

:(
Old 18th March 2020, 17:22   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but the former is expensive and the latter has issues with respect to battery getting hot and possibly exploding.

:(
Sorry, I meant the K2, not C3. Yes, Innovv is expensive.

Didn't know the B1M has a battery, does it?

Edit:

Yes, it does - Power supply: Built-in battery (130mAh)

Last edited by harsh79 : 18th March 2020 at 17:25.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:03   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Sorry, I meant the K2, not C3. Yes, Innovv is expensive.

Didn't know the B1M has a battery, does it?

Edit:

Yes, it does - Power supply: Built-in battery (130mAh)
Are there no products within a 200$ mark? Something that won't hurt to lose? Not hung up on 1080p.
Old 18th March 2020, 18:46   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Are there no products within a 200$ mark? Something that won't hurt to lose? Not hung up on 1080p.
Not many choices specifically for motorcycles.

Bummer the B1M has a battery, I'd assumed they were using capacitors.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:02   #2947
BHPian

Genuine question for members here.
Why do branded dash cameras cost so much? A good Xiaomi phone with a great touchscreen, gps and other sensors and a much better processor can be bought for less than 6,000. A dash camera from the same company costs 5000. Why? Temperature ratings for both types of devices are the same- around 50 degree Celsius maximum.

Also, why are cheap dash cameras costing less than 2000 not recommended? In my experience, they record decent videos but last for about a year before getting into issues related to the SD card mounts etc. But the branded cameras, or any non-flagship smartphones, don't do much better unless they are from super expensive brands like Garmin. Cameras from DDPai which cost over 7k INR in 2016 are now not working.

Is it better to use the cheap unbranded cameras that do not have any fancy features except a collision sensor? Many are available for less than 1000 INR without a battery, so the safety aspect does not apply. Super capacitor based cameras can also malfunction.
Also, most of the currently popular dashcams from Xiaomi use batteries.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 18th March 2020 at 21:03.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:50   #2948
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you guys manage the shutdown of the dashcam when the engine is cranked? I face this issue with my dashcam . During the crank the dash cam shuts down since the power is cut to the 12V socket momentarily. But it refuses to turn back on until i remove and reinsert the plug from the 12V ? Mine is a capacitor based don't-remember-the-name dashcam.
Old 19th March 2020, 11:31   #2949
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
During the crank the dash cam shuts down since the power is cut to the 12V socket momentarily. But it refuses to turn back on until i remove and reinsert the plug from the 12V ?
I've had three dashcam's so far (Viofo A119S V2, DDPai Mini & Viofo A129) - all of them hardwired. The dashcam restarts immediately after the engine starts, recording starts a second or so later.

Can you hardwire the dashcam and see if the issue exists? Have you checked if this issue is there with any other dashcam using the 12V socket?
Old 19th March 2020, 12:30   #2950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do you guys manage the shutdown of the dashcam when the engine is cranked? I face this issue with my dashcam . During the crank the dash cam shuts down since the power is cut to the 12V socket momentarily. But it refuses to turn back on until i remove and reinsert the plug from the 12V ? Mine is a capacitor based don't-remember-the-name dashcam.
I have an additional 12v socket powered always on via a Fuse Tap. I use this mainly to charge my devices when car is parked for long hours during outstation trips. I noticed that whenever I connect my Dashcam to this socket instead of the OE one, the Dashcam doesn't turn off during the crank that it would normally do when plugged to the OE socket.

So you may want to try looking for a Fuse socket that is always ON, just to try and see if the camera works without shutting down during a crank. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using this for the Dashcam because it will end up draining battery if car is parked for days together.
Old 19th March 2020, 12:37   #2951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I've had three dashcam's so far (Viofo A119S V2, DDPai Mini & Viofo A129) - all of them hardwired. The dashcam restarts immediately after the engine starts, recording starts a second or so later.

Can you hardwire the dashcam and see if the issue exists? Have you checked if this issue is there with any other dashcam using the 12V socket?
https://www.thedashcamstore.com/full...r-m880c-g1w-c/

This is the dash cam that i have.

I do not have any other dashcam to test. This was purchased 4 years ago. Apart from the mentioned issue the dashcam is pretty good. The problem exists from the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have an additional 12v socket powered always on via a Fuse Tap. I use this mainly to charge my devices when car is parked for long hours during outstation trips. I noticed that whenever I connect my Dashcam to this socket instead of the OE one, the Dashcam doesn't turn off during the crank that it would normally do when plugged to the OE socket.

So you may want to try looking for a Fuse socket that is always ON, just to try and see if the camera works without shutting down during a crank. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using this for the Dashcam because it will end up draining battery if car is parked for days together.

I would not prefer this approach because of the con that you mentioned .

I think i will need to get a hard wire kit and see if the issue persists. If so then i may need a new dashcam
Old 19th March 2020, 12:44   #2952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would not prefer this approach because of the con that you mentioned .

I think i will need to get a hard wire kit and see if the issue persists. If so then i may need a new dashcam
Try a different fuse socket from the available empty ones. You may get one that is not always on but won't shut down the cam during a crank. This is what I meant when I asked you to try so you are able to rule out the issue with the camera vs fuse socket being used.
Old 19th March 2020, 13:26   #2953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Try a different fuse socket from the available empty ones. You may get one that is not always on but won't shut down the cam during a crank. This is what I meant when I asked you to try so you are able to rule out the issue with the camera vs fuse socket being used.
Ok. I understood. I will try different fuse sockets and see if any of those solves the issue.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:14   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Try the boot-delay setting if the camera has one. Newer Novatek based cams with capacitors have it.
Old 20th March 2020, 13:54   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During the crank the dash cam shuts down since the power is cut to the 12V socket momentarily. But it refuses to turn back on until i remove and reinsert the plug from the 12V?
I don't face this problem with the Blaupunkt 2.0 Dashcam (with 300mah battery) in our Xylo and Elite i20. I use the 12V Socket for powering the Dashcam in both cars.
Quote:
Mine is a capacitor based don't-remember-the-name dashcam.
I am not sure whether it is due to Dashcam itself or the Capacitor is playing the role here or might be the 12V Socket of your i20 is programmed in that way.

You can check in some other car (your friends') whether same behaviour occurrs.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th March 2020 at 13:02. Reason: edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks