Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 18:59   #2701
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

A119 v3 is having new mounting system for GPS. Infact in that GPS unit in v3, the power socket is also present on GPS unit directly.

I think the contest is between better picture quality of A119 v3 and 5GHz wifi in A129.

Last edited by ottocycle : 1st August 2019 at 19:03.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 22:59   #2702
Senior - BHPian

A119V3 still has the single leg mounting system, check it out on their website. Power through GPS and HK3 compatibility is new. Still doesn't get WiFi though.

The importance of the new 4 leg mount of A129 is ease of upgradability. When upgrading to A129Pro need not go through base change again. (This is the third cam after Transcend DP220, LukasR900+, A129 in the same vehicle and base change is a hassle everytime) So A129 with the newer mounting does it for me. Wifi is useful, with Viofo app it's a breeze to change settings as well as download files. It's hard to read the screen as it's mounted behind irvm out of sight.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 23:12   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Power through GPS and HK3 compatibility is new.
My (almost 2 years old) Viofo A119s V2 has power through the GPS module, so that's not new.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 23:35   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My (almost 2 years old) Viofo A119s V2 has power through the GPS module, so that's not new.
Does it support HK3 hardwire kit? I guess not.
Old 2nd August 2019, 00:04   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it support HK3 hardwire kit? I guess not.
It does support the hardwire kit and shall be powered on all right, but as the camera hardware does not support parking mode, the same shall not be available.

https://www.viofo.com/accessories/10...29-a129ir.html

Quote:
Also fit for A119/A119S/A119 PRO dash cam, but ACC function will not be available.
Also, parking mode for A119 V3 shall only be available if the camera is powered directly by the HK3 cable and not via the GPS module, so I guess one can't have both GPS and parking mode together.

Quote:
With ACC detection feature, the dash cam will switch to parking mode automatically if the vehicle engine off, and switch back to normal recording after vehicle engine on. Please be sure the cable is connected to the camera directly, not through the GPS mount.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd August 2019 at 18:35. Reason: typo fixed
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 00:51   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Viofo's parking mode and feature set is a joke when compared to Lukas r900+. Viofo's win is in its video quality, lukas is a proper dvr with an input for an obd logger to record driving parameters.

After using Lukas with prebuffered motion detect (selectable areas) parking mode and 3 wire 12v direct input with in cam customisable low voltage cut off even viofo's 3 wire on a129 feels primitive. Less said about older 2 wire hardwire kit the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It does support the hardwire kit and shall be powered on all right, but as the camera hardware does not support parking mode, the same shall not be available.

https://www.viofo.com/accessories/10...29-a129ir.html
A119v2 not A129.

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd August 2019 at 00:54.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:29   #2707
BHPian

Which one should I bite the bullet for a129 vs a129 IR vs ddpai mini 3 vs Mai70 pro. I wanted the GPS tagging feature. If I understand ddpai mini 3 does have not have GPS. Mai 70 pro GPS is a gimmick as it show the GPS overlay only in app and can not be viewed by third party players.

If I had to get only front camera is there any difference in front units of a129 and a129 IR?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2019 at 21:09. Reason: Typo.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:41   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Which one should I bite the bullet
Did you drop the A119 v3 due to the single leg mounting system?
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 15:10   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Did you drop the A119 v3 due to the single leg mounting system?
I am dropping a119 v3 for unavailability of wifi. It would have made perfect sense for me buy it otherwise.
ottocycle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:47   #2710
Senior - BHPian

I have made a comparison between VIOFO A129 and the existing Lukas R900+
  • VIOFO clearly is the winner when it is about video quality - Day and Night!
  • In Build quality Lukas has a slight edge (plastics, fit&finish) over Viofo .
  • Lukas is leagues ahead when it is about features (ADAS, advanced buffered parking mode, OBD connectivity, large easy to use touch screen monitor) but sadly no Wifi in this model.
  • Lukas R900+ and VIOFOA129 use the same FHD Sony sensor in the front.
  • At the rear VIOFO gets same FHD sony sensor used in its front camera and Lukas gets a low rent HD sensor.
  • Viofo is mod friendly with custom firmware available from dashcam geeks for even improved recording quality (at the cost of more heat and file size).
  • VIOFO has better support from the manufacturer and community.
  • Max memory card capacity for both is 256GB.
  • Both are super capacitor powered.
  • Both get buffered parking mode on both front and rear cameras.
  • Both use 3 wire hardwire with ACC mode detection to enter parking mode.

GPS

Daytime

Night video is yet to be uploaded but results are as expected, A129 is better. I noticed that the VIOFO gets marginally hotter than Lukas while in use but have not had any issues so far. Also noticed that Lukas's GPS+Glonass refreshes faster than the one in the VIOFO A129.

VIOFO gets buffered parking with the HK3 kit and latest firmware but this has been a feature in Korean dashcams from 5 to 6 years ago, so not new to me and relieved that finally A129 got it. For VIOFO as you know takes 5 volt (USB votage) and needs a step down DC-DC converter and low voltage cutoff is set in the hardware unit of HK3 wire kit.

Lukas R900+ (and other Korean dash cams) can take direct 12volt input using three wires (Acc, Batt, Grnd) doesn't need a DC-DC step down converter. They can also be powered by a cig lighter adapter for those who need that convenience. Low voltage cutoff can be programmed in the camera and doesn't need external hardware.

Buffered parking mode is better implemented in Lukas, we can select the area within the frame where it should detect movement. This feature is good to have. I selected the vehicle's boundary area (as seen in the frame) and it will only record (save) when a movement is detected in that area and since its pre-buffered the story will still be captured. What happens in the rest of the frame is irrelevant it doesn't have to trigger recording and fill the memory card.

When i was looking to upgrade from the R900+ to another dash camera for better video quality and wifi I had two choices; first option was a higher end FHD-FHD Lukas Dual Channel because I don't have to re-run the power cable and the second option was Viofo A129.

After going through countless videos on youtube and elsewhere I finally concluded that for the best video quality VIOFO was the best choice, VIOFO punches above it's weight (read price range) in image quality. Lukas, Blackvue, Blacksys, Thinkpro and all other premium Korean dashcams fall short when it comes to image quality but of course the Koreans have a lot of other cool features which are not really relevant for me (except buffered parking and cloud connectivity - I decided to sacrifice on cloud connectivity) but those cameras cost nearly three to four times more than a VIOFO and need to think whether it is really required.

Lukas R900+ 2 channel might get moved to the other car which currently has a Transcend DP220 or it might get sold. I thought of retaining the Lukas for its better parking mode, along with the Viofo, but decided to remove it as it would clutter the windscreen.

I bought another A129 (not Duo) to mount in the front, it is on its way. The current A129DuoIR will be moved to the rear glass looking out and the IR cam will face inside for a three camera setup. Short cable supplied with the DuoIR will make it tidier.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 15:09   #2711
BHPian

I think low-bitrate is a better option than buffered mode.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:29   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
I got my Blueskysea B1W WiFi Mini Dash Cam with 64GB TF Card a couple of weeks back via Amazon.in. The orders got mixed up, the package was shipped to Bihar and eventually made it to Bangalore. I have mounted this using the Rearview Mirror Bracket which I purchased separately.

I had 2 close calls in the latter part of last year and I wanted a dash camera to be on the safer side.

It is very discreet and the images and video are good enough for the price paid. As of now I have connected this to the cigarette lighter socket and the images/video can be viewed through the phone app. I am happy with the product as of now. Night time images are decent.

Could someone please tell me what role does a hardwire kit play here?
Hi, I have just purchased the Blueskysea b1w cam but the micro sd card is not capturing video. The micro Sd card is san disk with 64gb grade 10 and formatted in the laptop in FAT32. Am I missing something?

Last edited by ajmat : 12th August 2019 at 19:34. Reason: typo
Old 7th August 2019, 13:33   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Hi, I have just purchased the Blueskysea b1w cam but the micro sd card is not capturing video. The micro Sd card is san disk with 64bg grade 10 and formatted in the laptop in FAT32. Am I missing something?
Try to format the micro sd card in the camera if there's such an option.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 14:24   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
I have made a comparison between VIOFO A129 and the existing Lukas R900+
Thanks for the comparison.

My car is having sunfilm on the windshield, so if I use the adhesive mount of A119 v3, will it cause any issues if I try to remove the cam? Any idea?

Also, which is the best website to purchase the A119 v3? Any advantages in buying from Viofo website or Amazon US?
Old 8th August 2019, 14:28   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Blueskysea b1w cam but the micro sd card is not capturing video. The micro Sd card is san disk with 64bg grade 10 and formatted in the laptop in FAT32.
Hi ddriver, I followed the instructions and did not face any issues.

I hope what blackasta suggested works, else Customer Support is the best option.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks