Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 22:50   #2611
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I am planning to order the same dashcam+Hardwire kit from Aliexpress.
Received the Blueskysea B1W WiFi mini dashcam + hardwire kit from AliExpress in 14 days flat.
Never expected such a quick delivery and I am pretty impressed with the product quality too.
A decent option for someone looking for a capacitor based dashcam which is not too expensive also.
The device is really compact and it is hard to notice it from outside the car.
Overall I am very much satisfied with the initial impressions of the product.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 11:09   #2612

Hi friends,

My team bhp membership got approved today. It's wonderful to be part of this amazing community. I'll introduce myself in the relevant thread later. Currently, I am waiting for the delivery of our new XUV 500 W7. But before I take delivery of the car, I want to order a dash cam which I personally believe is a must-have accessory for any car.

So after a bit of market research, I think the Xiaomi 70mai pro dash cam is enough for my needs, and have decided to order it from AliExpress. But I am a complete noob in shopping from that site (or any international site for that matter), and obviously have a few doubts. Kindly help me to find answers

1. The total order price is shown as 67 USD (excluding memory card). Is it too much?
2. Can I pay with an ordinary debit card without international payment activated? Is it safe?
3. I've read here about asking the seller to describe the product as a gift, to avoid paying customs duty. But the seller haven't responded to my queries in this regard yet. Does this really work?
4. What functions does that extra GPS module perform?

Thanks
Snowman
Snowman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 13:56   #2613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Kindly help me to find answers
1. Price is ok for - make sure that you are getting the English version with GPS. Also, make sure you get a card that's recommended for dashcam usage.

2. Safer to pay with a credit card, and uncheck the box that offers to store your card details. Also be advised that there shall be a foreign currency markup fee applied to your transaction by your card issuer.

3. You need not mention anything - normally all Aliexpress sellers undervalue their items. There's a debate on this though and govt. has become aware of the same - so be ready to pay duty just in case.

Reference - https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ed-gifts-94520

4. The GPS module ensures that the timestamp on the video is correct without manual intervention, puts a latitude/longitude stamp on the video, and displays the speed of the vehicle in the video.

Last edited by blackasta : 11th May 2019 at 13:57.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2019, 14:06   #2614

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

2. Safer to pay with a credit card, and uncheck the box that offers to store your card details. Also be advised that there shall be a foreign currency markup fee applied to your transaction by your card issuer.
Hi Blackasta,

Thanks for the reply. Presently I do not have a credit card that I can use for this. Is using a debit card unsafe? If so, are any other methods available that is safer?

Thanks
Snowman
Old 11th May 2019, 14:42   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Thanks for the reply. Presently I do not have a credit card that I can use for this. Is using a debit card unsafe? If so, are any other methods available that is safer?
I frequently order from aliexpress. Few years ago I didn't have a credit card so used to generate a virtual card on SBI net banking portal (other banks have it too) and use it.

Generally I keep my credit card saved in aliexpress and never had a fraudulent transaction ever. In case of debit cards, I'm a but weary but what you can do is keep less money in an account and use that banks debit card.

PS - just ordered 3X units of Jinsun 4k dash cam without GPS for a friend and myself. Current using Viofo and Yi cam.

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th May 2019 at 14:43.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:08   #2616
BHPian

Quote:

4. The GPS module ensures that the timestamp on the video is correct without manual intervention, puts a latitude/longitude stamp on the video, and displays the speed of the vehicle in the video.
The GPS on 70mai pro is only used for alert at high speed lane changing (>8-kmph). It doesn't yet have a speed timestamp on the footage. Maybe it'll come eventually, but I have been waiting for it for last 4-5 months and it hasn't come yet. I would personally not spend those extra bucks on the GPS module as it's literally useless as of now. That apart, the camera is pretty good. The Li-ion battery would seem a downside in extremely hot weather, but I like to believe that these are well tested; at least it hasn't blown up on my face yet.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:18   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Okay, somebody sell me...I need a good one with:
Looping
capacitor
night optics good
Image quality good...2560X1080 preferable
Good screen size
EASY to MOUNT
EASY TO USE even for dumb people
Old 13th May 2019, 12:33   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
The GPS on 70mai pro is only used for alert at high speed lane changing (>8-kmph). It doesn't yet have a speed timestamp on the footage. Maybe it'll come eventually, but I have been waiting for it for last 4-5 months and it hasn't come yet. I would personally not spend those extra bucks on the GPS module as it's literally useless as of now. That apart, the camera is pretty good. The Li-ion battery would seem a downside in extremely hot weather, but I like to believe that these are well tested; at least it hasn't blown up on my face yet.
If the GPS module does not work as I have mentioned (speed, latitude/longitude, time sync) then it is as good as not having one.

Also, it's better to get a capacitor based model, to do away with the headache of what might happen while having a Li Ion battery in a locked vehicle if it is parked under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Okay, somebody sell me...I need a good one with:
Looping
capacitor
night optics good
Image quality good...2560X1080 preferable
Good screen size
EASY to MOUNT
EASY TO USE even for dumb people
Do you have any set budget?
Are you hard set on the 2K resolution spec requirement?

Last edited by blackasta : 13th May 2019 at 12:41.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:33   #2619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any set budget?
Are you hard set on the 2K resolution spec requirement?
I suppose 1080 resolution would be minimum.

Budget...30,000???
Old 13th May 2019, 16:01   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Budget...30,000???
You can take a look at Viofo A119S (single cam), Viofo A129 (dual cam), Blackvue (both single and dual cam) - these would come well within, at maybe 1/3rd , of your mentioned budget.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 19:05   #2621
BHPian

I'm using Rexing V1P Pro. In addition to your requirements, it also has GPS, WiFi to see or copy videos to phone and dual camera. In dual camera mode the resolution is limited to 1080 and in single camera mode you get 2160.
nrahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 19:35   #2622
BHPian

Quote:

Budget...30,000???
With that budget, you can basically pick up almost everything in the market.

More than res and actual sensor, look at the real world clarity (youtube videos). So, in extremely hot weather, a capacitor-based cam is preferably, but then the tradeoff is mostly the parking surveillance, which is only possible with a battery in the cam. This feature is extremely useful when valets in hotels take the car and keep it in unknown zones.
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 22:22   #2623
BHPian

I am looking to change my dash cam. The current one I have is a Floureon action cam. It works well when it work, but tends to get over heated and hang (with battery removal as the only way to restart, which also causes timestamp reset). I have now punched multiple holes for airflow through the body to reduce heating and seem to have messed something in the circuit that it resets every time (battery or not) to default settings.

As the new camera, I am considering DDPai mini and 70mai. Had a few questions about these:
  • Are they actually from Xiaomi?
  • How reliable are they? My drives are mostly sub-2 hour long, so don't need the camera to do long hours frequently.
  • They don't have a battery, so how do they maintain the timestamp storage? Does it expect me to set the time after every 1 day+ gap in driving (and hence getting power from the car). I am not planning to use the hardwire kit.
  • I also landed on Noise Play. It is actually available from Flipkart, but I am skeptic about the quality considering the Sony sensor they use doesn't even support the features they boast.
  • Lastly, I have never gotten anything shipped internationally. How likely am I to run into customs if I order a dash cam (say 70mai) worth 4000/- Rs? How much can the custom charges be roughly? If my camera does get intercepted in customs, how and to whom will I pay the charges anyway?
Has anyone used the inexpensive camera which goes by the name SQ11? Eg, on banggood: https://www.banggood.in/IMars-SQ11-1...p-1139282.html
I am considering it as a secondary camera, which will be always on by a power bank and record when I park the car in an unsafe environment.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:34   #2624
Senior - BHPian

Just picked up a Roav Dashcam A1. Has the usual set of features. 1080p 30 fps, wifi, collision/parking detection with wide angle recording and night mode.
The accompanying app is really sorted and stable. It connects with the cam through the phone vpn connection and you can watch your recordings, play with settings etc. Using a 64 gb card, and the card formatting etc can be done via the app only.

The video quality is quite impressive, at least during day time and there is pinch zoom feature that can be used while watching the video to clearly see number plates and other details.. The cam itself is small and light.
Overall, after a week of use seems like a good product.

Last edited by bigron : 18th May 2019 at 09:35.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 11:51   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Just picked up a Roav Dashcam A1. Has the usual set of features. 1080p 30 fps, wifi, collision/parking detection with wide angle recording and night mode.
The accompanying app is really sorted and stable. It connects with the cam through the phone vpn connection and you can watch your recordings, play with settings etc. Using a 64 gb card, and the card formatting etc can be done via the app only.

The video quality is quite impressive, at least during day time and there is pinch zoom feature that can be used while watching the video to clearly see number plates and other details.. The cam itself is small and light.
Overall, after a week of use seems like a good product.

How did you buy it? I couldn't find any way to get it in India.

Most Viewed