Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 23:41   #2026
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Is anyone using gopro as a dash cam? I was planning to use hero 5 session.
No loop recording, no timestamp. Get a dash cam.
Old 15th March 2018, 10:06   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
For me its a real challenge. The height from which the low beam falls it directly flashes on the plate. Its a blindingly whitewashed patch that gets captured....

Moreover, I even tried with reducing EV to -3 which is the lowest supported. But then a washout is a washout and reducing the EV does not really help.
I have a SUV where I fixed the Dashcam right behind the IRVM which sort of mitigates this issue. Partly because I have a small patch of suncontrol film in the windscreen top.
In your case, why not try Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) ?
In my case the reflection from the top of my dashboard is still an issue. I borrowed a CPL and tried. What a difference it made !

EV setting is only for the display and it doesn't affect the camera's settings. All dashcams will have auto aperture to provide 'reasonable' resolution across a wide range of light conditions. When the light level shifts drastically, they take a finite time (within a couple of seconds maximum) to adjust.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:55   #2028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Why not get one of GoPro's Chinese (cheaper) competitor - SJCAM's offerings?

SJ5000, SJ6 Legend, SJ7 etc. are all used often by car owners for its "car mode" with loop recording. When done driving, take it out and clip in on your bicycle or motorcycle or helmet. Or go swimming or diving.

I'm in love with the SJ6 Legend actually ...I'll buy one soon enough and we'll seee if the love lasts!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 13:30   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In your case, why not try Circular Polarizing Filter (CPL) ?
I suggested one earlier albeit its not a polarizer exactly, but does the job.

The sweet box yellow films are easy to get, thick enough to handle and will handle high temperature and sun exposure to some extent. Little bit of sticky tape to hold them will make this an easy DIY.
Old 15th March 2018, 17:04   #2030
mxh
BHPian

What is the average lifespan of Dashcams in Indian heat and humidity?

Which dashcam would be recommended in 2018 as a reliable long term product?
Old 15th March 2018, 17:12   #2031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
What is the average lifespan of Dashcams in Indian heat and humidity?

Which dashcam would be recommended in 2018 as a reliable long term product?
I wont say which one is the best but I am using Trancend DrivePro 200 Series since 4 years now.

It has undergone all types of use/abuse : Continuous recording for over 27 Hours in one go (With display off) to driving all day in hot summer conditions including parking in open in places like Ahmedabad/Gandhinagar (May).

Have to say that both the suction mount as well as camera has had no failure till date. To me, this usage is a good use case to recommend it at least now rather than using it for 6m-2y for just 1-2 hours everyday and call it 'niggle free'.

Basically these dashcams are designed to withstand cabin temperatures under hot conditions and hence heat would generally not be the sole reason for their failure ever.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:04   #2032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I wont say which one is the best but I am using Trancend DrivePro 200 Series since 4 years now.

It has undergone all types of use/abuse : Continuous recording for over 27 Hours in one go (With display off) to driving all day in hot summer conditions including parking in open in places like Ahmedabad/Gandhinagar (May).
I've been using the DP220 for over a year now. Barring a few instances when the suction mount came off, everything has worked well.

I tend to keep the display on; perhaps I should switch it off during long drives. Since I haven't hard-wired the cam, the display is a reminder that I have to take the adapter off the 12v socket! (the 12v socket in the EcoSport is directly powered from the batter, regardless of whether the car is in use or not)
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:12   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Is anyone using gopro as a dash cam? I was planning to use hero 5 session.
I have the Hero 5. I use it mostly for my longer drives and if going to new places. The biggest drawback is the memory size. Quality is top notch, but I have observed that recording in 2.7k gives the best result - i.e good enough quality to take a screen grab and still end up with a legible number plate. This also means that a 64 gb card will get over in 2-2.5 hrs max. (recording time). Battery life is also on the lower side, so I have a wire connected to it or spare batteries.

On super long drives, I usually take time lapse or keep it on 5 min loop. Only if something important comes up I switch to normal video.

To get the best best video, I usually downsize it post edit to retain the quality. You can try mixing and matching the settings to get the optimum quality for your need. But, if you plan to buy the goPro Hero 5 session as a dash cam, its a bad idea - it's best to use it as camera that doubles as a dash cam. Reason being, there are far more cheaper dash cams that you can use.

Would add that the Session makes more sense than the regular, but the Hero 5 gets GPS built in which you can use for overlays. Looks cool.

Quote:
You do have the loop mode, but no time stamp. However when importing the videos, you can see the time they were shot on the Quik Desktop App.

Last edited by blackwasp : 16th March 2018 at 12:16.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:13   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've been using the DP220 for over a year now. Barring a few instances when the suction mount came off, everything has worked well.
Each time I remove the mount (Washing center or ASC), I wipe the internal areas of the windshield with a glass cleaner (Colin etc). Then I use a drop of water on my finger tip, spread that across the contact area of the suction mount and then slowly pull the suction lever. This is the same case with my Phone holder too. I am sure it will hold on for indefinite period then. Try it out .

Quote:
I tend to keep the display on; perhaps I should switch it off during long drives. Since I haven't hard-wired the cam, the display is a reminder that I have to take the adapter off the 12v socket! (the 12v socket in the EcoSport is directly powered from the batter, regardless of whether the car is in use or not)
Yes, I am aware of the Always On feature of Ford cars for 12v socket. In fact I have 3 sockets (I did a DIY for 2 more) and I too haven't hardwired my dashcam.

However, the second socket in front is connected to a fuse via fuse-tap such that it ended up powering all the times. I didn't change the fuse location for this one because I ended up using this for charging Phones or other devices when we step out of the car for few hours and it has always helped.

The thing with display was the that it distracts me when I am driving, especially the all night drives when the IRVM gives a vision of moving vehicles tailing me and this display from the dashcam confuses with those in front. I have simply set the 3 minute interval for display to turn off each time after the Dashcam starts.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 23:58   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You do have the loop mode, but no time stamp. However when importing the videos, you can see the time they were shot on the Quik Desktop App.
Doesn't work as it should with a dash cam, the latest file in the current session is overwritten, not the oldest file on the card - https://community.gopro.com/t5/Camer...ing/td-p/58705

GoPro's are not ideal for use as a dedicated dash cam.
Old 17th March 2018, 00:13   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't work as it should with a dash cam, the latest file in the current session is overwritten, not the oldest file on the card - https://community.gopro.com/t5/Camer...ing/td-p/58705
In GoPro's loop mode, it over writes per session - i.e. if you set up 5 min interval loop, it will always save the last 5 mins, before overwriting. Now, when you stop recording, the last 5 mins are saved and when you resume, these 5 mins are not overwritten. As long as you understand the functionality, its not too difficult to operate.

Plonk in a 64 gb card and it could last you a long time on lower resolution or loop mode. Yes, its not the ideal dash cam, but pretty good quality if you have it already.

Quote:
GoPro's are not ideal for use as a dedicated dash cam.
True, just that I use one as I have it lying around..
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
But, if you plan to buy the goPro Hero 5 session as a dash cam, its a bad idea - it's best to use it as camera that doubles as a dash cam.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 01:40   #2037
BHPian

Hi Guys

I want to buy a budget dashcam and have finalised on yi & DDPAI mini, both costing 3500 INR approx from AliExpress. I really like the form factor of mini but yi looks better on papers. Can you guys suggest which one is a better buy.

Also there is another one from mi which looks just like DDPAI mini and has very good reviews but does not have ios app. Please suggest which one should I go for.

Last edited by nik0502 : 17th March 2018 at 01:47.
Old 17th March 2018, 19:36   #2038
BHPian

Friends....just bought Mini 0906 for my Hexa. The guys fixing the cam on the dash mentioned that the adhesive would not be strong enough to hold onto the camera for a longer period, due to the changing weather conditions & hence it is necessary to have a separate "clamp". Conventionally, the installation is supposed to be as seen in the attached image. Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-mini0906.jpg  

Last edited by m3_07 : 17th March 2018 at 19:38. Reason: additional info
Old 18th March 2018, 10:38   #2039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Friends....just bought Mini 0906 for my Hexa. The guys fixing the cam on the dash mentioned that the adhesive would not be strong enough to hold onto the camera for a longer period, due to the changing weather conditions & hence it is necessary to have a separate "clamp". Conventionally, the installation is supposed to be as seen in the attached image. Please advise.
My 0805 is mounted pretty much the same way, except 2 drops of feviquik, and it has held on for ~ 4 years now. No complaints even in peak Delhi summer. I do take care to not park directly under the sun too often as mine is a battery model.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:42   #2040
BHPian

Is anyone aware of some good shop/person to fit and conceal the wiring of dashcam if I buy it though online. I dont want the cables to be hanging aeound and looking shabby but at the same time also dont trust the local accessories waala to fix it neatly.

Last edited by HalfOctave : 18th March 2018 at 12:43.

Most Viewed