Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 15:50   #1756
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

My B40/A118 had been serving me very well, I am on a lookout for a dual channel dashcam for quite sometime now. The Street Guardian SG9663DC turned out to be very expensive.

I need a wedge shaped(stealth type) unit with a super capacitor and good quality day/night video for both front/rear cameras(if not THE BEST). Came across below two models, what are your opinion on it?

Aukey seems to be really impressive for it's price.
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-An...ar+dash+camera

And the Rexing
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Dashb...ds=rexing+V1LG
Old 22nd October 2017, 16:24   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Aukey seems to be really impressive for it's price.
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-An...ar+dash+camera
Delivery to India? Not to my city. And Amzon.in's offer is half the package with much higher price. And I don't see it on AliExpress.
Old 22nd October 2017, 16:33   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Delivery to India? Not to my city. And Amzon.in's offer is half the package with much higher price. And I don't see it on AliExpress.
Ya, it is not there in AliExpress. I trying to get it from US via a friend.
maverickmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:01   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am having the same rexing model and quite happy with the video resolution. Good quality videos from front and rear camera in daylight but the night video from the back camera is little above than average. The front camera is good at night as well.

Please check the videos I had posted in the same thread here . If planning to buy the same then buy the hardwire unit from the rexing site only. The one sold in Amazon will not fit this model.

http://www.rexingusa.com/en/store/#!...egory=18444674
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:00   #1760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The aukey one is unnecessarily expensive vs the A119 V2. The Rexing is quite overhyped as it is actually similar to the A118 old model.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/rexing-v1/

When Aliexpress has the Viofo A119 V2 and the Ddpai mini2 for a much lower, there is no reason to get the Rexing or Aukey.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:00   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am having the same rexing model and quite happy with the video resolution. Good quality videos from front and rear camera in daylight but the night video from the back camera is little above than average. The front camera is good at night as well.

Please check the videos I had posted in the same thread here . If planning to buy the same then buy the hardwire unit from the rexing site only. The one sold in Amazon will not fit this model.

http://www.rexingusa.com/en/store/#!...egory=18444674
Thanks. It appears to be a bit bulkier, does it make itself visible from outside?. I am not fully convinced about the video quality especially at the rear, it looks too poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The aukey one is unnecessarily expensive vs the A119 V2. The Rexing is quite overhyped as it is actually similar to the A118 old model.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/rexing-v1/

When Aliexpress has the Viofo A119 V2 and the Ddpai mini2 for a much lower, there is no reason to get the Rexing or Aukey.
The Aukey/Rexing I mentioned are dual channel models. Infact, Aukey single channel is cheaper than Viofo A119(Amazon pricing).
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-An...rds=aukey+DR02

Aukey has Sony IMX293(Front) and IMX322(rear) sensors even then the quality do not match with Street Guardian.

The Veckle mini 0906 dual channel too looks good even though the form factor/design is of not my liking. Video quality not very convincing I see.

https://www.amazon.com/Veckle-Channe...ckle+mini+0906
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:38   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Rexing is quite overhyped as it is actually similar to the A118 old model.
I think the link that you have shared is for Rexing v1. It is a single channel basic dashcam. Rexing v1lg is a dual channel cam with built in gps logger.

Quote:
Thanks. It appears to be a bit bulkier, does it make itself visible from outside?. I am not fully convinced about the video quality especially at the rear, it looks too poor.
Yes the V1LG model is bulkier (most probably due to it being dual channel though I am not sure) . Yes the rear camera video quality is not very good even though according to the specs it records in full hd at 720p. Having said that the day view is better but the night view is okish at best. In the video that I have posted the rear windshield was not clean so probably even that might have affected the video quality. Let me share another one today after which you can assess.

But if you are willing to spend a bit more moolah , than buy from blacksys. They have got some quality ones but again they are not so very discreet.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:09   #1763
BHPian

Adding my two cents into this thread, in which I've never commented before, although being someone who adamantly encourages everyone to use dashcams . Apparently, from my experience, cams with a Li-ion batteries won't last long in our climate, my two previous defunct cams stands a testimony to it. Those lasted atmost 1.5 months, after which I saw the battery bulging up and them behaving weird with sudden shut downs and such. My former cams were a Firefly 6s and 7s, which were a bang for the buck, if used for adventure sports. However, they had an option to be used as an in-car DVR too, with loop recording, auto turn-off/on and gyro sensors for crash detection.

Presently, I changed my dash cam to G1W-C (a technical downgrade from the 7s, but a proper dash cam), which shoots 1080 at 30 fps. Bought it for S$52 during a promotional sale and is cheaper to my previous Fireflys by S$100. The monetary worth is just incredible for the G1W-C.

The 'C' in 'G1W-C' stands for 'Capacitor', which means that it uses a capacitor instead of a battery. That translates into better reliability in hot weather. I used the cam for about 15 days, during which it hasn't had any problems. Couldn't check later on that as I left the country. The video quality in both Day and Night conditions suffices to record every important detail. Although, I wish for a bit more saturation on the colors, but hey, they are exceptional for a S$52 worth cam or even more.

It comes with the 'Motion Detector' turned on from the factory itself, which i highly recommend to be turned OFF. At night times, the motion detector would fail to detect any motion where there are no oncoming vehicles and assumes itself that there isn't anything moving in front of the car, despite the car still being in motion. That led to the cam being standby without recording for umpteen times to me. Rather, with the motion detector turned on, you wouldn't be able to catch everything from the start to the end that's happened in front of your car. Suppose, your car is in standstill without any motion happening in front of you. Suddenly, a car comes out of nowhere and surprises you with a fender bender. The cam would skip at least half of the incident from how and where the car approached from to the moment just before hitting your car. This precept of motion detectors in dash cams should be common to all, despite the brands or how super-sensitive the cam is. Rest assured, the point I'm trying to make is that everyone should stay away from turning on their motion detectors .

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-maxresdefault.jpg
Credits - Google Images

I'm away from the country at the moment, I'll try to source some video samples from the G1W-C (if I have any in my PC). Here's one which i recorded with my previous Firefly 7s.

E = mc˛ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:11   #1764
BHPian

A118C B40C on sale for $30 on gearbest. Good deal i believe in case anyone interested in this specific version.
https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_375217.html
techcoze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:52   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
A118C B40C on sale for $30 on gearbest. Good deal i believe in case anyone interested in this specific version.
https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_375217.html
Nice find! But it's not Viofo, reliability is a question. Am looking out for a rear camera too. Using A119 as front.
Strictly no battery type! Shortlisted the A118C2. Let me see!
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:43   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Nice find! But it's not Viofo, reliability is a question. Am looking out for a rear camera too. Using A119 as front.
Correct, the one that says B40 on GB isn't by VIOFO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Am looking out for a rear camera too. Using A119 as front.
A119S.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:51   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you check if the model is legit or not? Thiking of buying this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...701811121.html

Haven't seen Aliexpress recommended on dashcamtalk forums, so don't know if this is a genuine product. Simply shortlisted the entry with most sales and feedbacks for Viofo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How do you check if the model is legit or not? Thiking of buying this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...701811121.html

Haven't seen Aliexpress recommended on dashcamtalk forums, so don't know if this is a genuine product. Simply shortlisted the entry with most sales and feedbacks for Viofo.
Sorry couldn't edit the last post, past 30 mins.

How about this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A118...808974299.html

I know it's the older version but quality seems ok from the reviews. The car it's going on, doesn't see much of night drives, so am thiking even this would do. Plus costs only about 40% of A119s.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th October 2017 at 14:35. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 24th October 2017, 18:55   #1768
Senior - BHPian

I can see a lot of Viofo cams in these pages. Friends, has anyone bought from Lazada ? I see their pricing much lower than aliexpress ! My neighbor is going to KL next week. Planning to place an order, only thing I dont see in this product is lack of express shipping options. Their live chat is never accessible. Trying to figure out a way if I can place it as 'next day shipping' to the hotel address my guy will be accomodated. I feel the Viofo will be a perfect hidden dash cam behind my mirror due to its design and the way power cable is connected to the GPS portion. I am on SJCam4000 wifi since an year (having 2 of them), its 170 angle is perfect but its too big for my liking. Trying to use them as 'passenger monitoring' tool with its built-in battery
Old 28th October 2017, 21:30   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Right now one of the best models is the ddpai mini 2:
DDPAI Mini2 1440P Full HD WIFI Car DVR Camera Vehicle Digital Video Recorder APP Monitor G-sensor Night Vision
http://s.aliexpress.com/yIzUbmaa
(from AliExpress Android)
Thank you. Expecting delivery in 30 days. Little confused about the memory card. DDpai website says that this works with TF cards. From a quick web search, I understand that MicroSD and TF are similar but not identical.

Do you know if this card will work with this cam ?
Old 28th October 2017, 21:57   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Last time I was home, Kerala highway police (Bolero with NO speed radar or gun) flagged me down while driving along NH17. I was 6 kmph above the limit and they let go off people within 5 kmph, he told. His attention was drawn to dashcam and I had to explain him the reasons why I've one. The junior officer demanded a license for dashcam!

The senior officer just asked me to pay the speeding fine and let me go.

One of the excerpts from our conversation :

Quote:
Junior officer : The camera records everything on road? Even the ladies on road?

Me : Sir, no. Camera saves only if it senses a collision
The next day, I wrapped our silver Yi dashcam in carbon vinyl :

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img20170629wa010301.jpeg

I wasn't happy with the result. Went ahead and applied even more vinyl

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img20170629wa010401.jpeg

Last edited by Klub Class : 28th October 2017 at 22:03.
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks