Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 11:08   #1546
BHPian

I think 60 fps would be ideal if you are going to pause the video to make a note of the oncoming vehicle's registration number. Resolution too makes a difference, but fps is what really counts!
So i would suggest 720p with 60fps.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:24   #1547
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
What brand of memory cards do these sellers use? i can get a $15 discount if my order crosses a certain value, and that is possible only if I add a memory card. Also, did the installation interfer with the RIFD sticker that Mahindra sticks on the windshield?
Installed A119s today with cigarette lighter adaptor included in the kit, instead of hard wire kit, as I will use the camera in two cars. I found a Lexar sdcard also included in the box. The Lexar has a bad report on dash cam forums. Recommended card is Transcend hard endurance card available in the 128 gb size recommended for the long recycle times required for longer life.

Also found TWO gps adaptors in the box! Did not need to put the adaptor as my Versa windscreen did not interfere with the swing of the camera! Maybe I'll fix when I try out the CPL filter.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:31   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Installed A119s today with cigarette lighter adaptor included in the kit, instead of hard wire kit, as I will use the camera in two cars. I found a Lexar sdcard also included in the box. The Lexar has a bad report on dash cam forums. Recommended card is Transcend hard endurance card available in the 128 gb size recommended for the long recycle times required for longer life.

Also found TWO gps adaptors in the box! Did not need to put the adaptor as my Versa windscreen did not interfere with the swing of the camera! Maybe I'll fix when I try out the CPL filter.
I ordered the A119 V2 as I wanted a wider angle (160 v/s 135) decided to go in for CPL as well as GPS and also the hard wiring kit. Will pick up a micro SD from Amazon. The V2 can take cards only upto 64 gb.

My order comprised of the following:
1. Viofo A119 V2 with GPS and CPL
2. Hardwiring kit for Viofo
3. 24mm CPL for my 0826.

Purchased everything from one store, and got a $15 coupon from that store. In local currency, total amount paid came to ~ Rs. 7,800.

I also ordered for a G1W-CB from gearbest- its el-cheapo but with decent review on an independent dashcam review site. Was on a firesale and I had some $7 in Gearbest account. Paid a total of Rs. 1500. Will fix this on the rear windscreen of one my cars.

Cheers.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 17th June 2017 at 11:34.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:58   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I purchased a Blaupunkt BP 2.0 car dashcam in August 2015. The dashcam stopped working today .
An update on this :

I got in in touch with Blaupunkt's customer support through mail and they called me. After a brief discussion with their technical support team , it was obvious that the problem was with the DVR itself and not with the charging point or the cable. The product had a 1 year warranty which had expired. I shipped the DVR to their Mumbai office by India Post ( cost me 69/- ).

Got a call today saying that the DVR had been repaired at a cost of 450/-. Transferred the amount to their bank account and waiting for the DVR to be shipped to me.

Although it was disappointing to see a Blaupunkt device fail in less than 2 years of use , I'm happy that it's been repaired at a reasonable cost. A new one would have cost me 3K. I hope it runs fine for some more time . The Blaupunkt service centre was prompt in responding to my mails , keeping me updated with the status and with the repair itself.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 17th June 2017 at 13:09.
sdp1975 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 12:24   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
I think you could easily do option 2 and 3. For #2, check if your dashcam displays number of minutes of recording capacity left. If it does, you simply have to check the display periodically and change the card at the right time. It might also emit a beep when the card is full (try it out) and at that time you simply stop and change the card.
My dashcam has no display or beep but periodically changing card or taking backup frequently are only option to retain all clips on long trips.
Quote:
Also, 30fps should be more than enough for all practical purposes. At that frame rate, video is already very smooth. 60 fps might be useful if you are taking extreme action videos and want to extract frames from the video as stills, or you want to watch videos in slow motion. There might be other uses for 60fps, but I am not aware of any.
I would keep the 1080p resolution though.
Thanks, yes I am of the same opinion about the resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Loop-recording should ideally be kept ON if the Mobius is being utilised as a dash cam.

Leave it at 1080p and get a higher capacity card. I'm using a 64GB, 128GB also works. Do format the card using mSetup and it should be good to go.

60 FPS is not available for 1080p, only for 720p and below.
Appreciate your reply, I was not confident about 64gb as I remember someone on a different forum discouraging using it with Mobius. I will surely try that now but not sure about using larger 128gb. Have you tried there mobile App? I had free trail and ended up purchasing it recently. I thought this would be worth given that Mobius doesn't have screen to change the settings on the go. I am yet to test Live Video option though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I think 60 fps would be ideal if you are going to pause the video to make a note of the oncoming vehicle's registration number. Resolution too makes a difference, but fps is what really counts!
So i would suggest 720p with 60fps.
Thanks.
All said and done, my mind is still battling with 1080p @ 30fps Vs 720 @ 60fps. Primary intention of installing a dashcam if you think of it is to prove you are not at fault by capturing the events that lead upto the accident. 30fps might not be as smooth and fluid as 60fps but you need enough pixels to resolve license plate characters when required.
But I also buy the argument that a car that is moving quickly, smoother 60fps clips will come handy

My trip got postponed for next week. For now I will keep following settings:
Quote:
  • Frame Rate: 60fps
  • Loop recording: ON
  • File Type: MP4
  • FOV: Wide
  • Video Resolution: 720P
  • Time Laps: Off
Here's a youtube video with split screen showing 1080p @ 30fps Vs 720 @ 60fps

Old 18th June 2017, 14:12   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

I was not confident about 64gb as I remember someone on a different forum discouraging using it with Mobius. I will surely try that now but not sure about using larger 128gb. Have you tried there mobile App? I had free trail and ended up purchasing it recently. I thought this would be worth given that Mobius doesn't have screen to change the settings on the go. I am yet to test Live Video option though.

Thanks.
All said and done, my mind is still battling with 1080p @ 30fps Vs 720 @ 60fps. Primary intention of installing a dashcam if you think of it is to prove you are not at fault by capturing the events that lead upto the accident. 30fps might not be as smooth and fluid as 60fps but you need enough pixels to resolve license plate characters when required.
But I also buy the argument that a car that is moving quickly, smoother 60fps clips will come handy
I've been using a 64GB Transcend 400x and also a Samsung EVO+ with my two Mobius cams without any issues whatsoever. If you're formatting the card in-camera using mSetup, there shouldn't be any issues with higher capacity cards (even 128GB).

I use the Mobile app for aiming the camera while mounting and have used it to change settings a couple of times, works well.

The Mobius uses 'pixel binning', the chart snapped from the Mobius's manual explains how resolution and FPS is handled

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-untitled.png

Manual - http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf

If I had to choose between a higher resolution or higher FPS, my choice 9/10 times with the Mobius will be - higher resolution.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:39   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Ordered VIOFO A119S (with GPS and CPL) through AliExpress today. My main requirements are: Small / GPS / Decent quality video. Will post details once i received / installed. Looks like delivery will take couple of weeks (this is my first purchase through AliExpress).
Below is the item tracking details from India post. The delivery location is Chennai, but the item is sent from Bangalore to Mumbai now
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-indiapost.jpg  

Old 21st June 2017, 14:52   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Below is the item tracking details from India post. The delivery location is Chennai, but the item is sent from Bangalore to Mumbai now
It could be a case of wrong baggage. Just check in your order detail whether the address / Pincode is full and correct. Incidentally I have 2 shipments in transit from Aliexpress thru' Singapore post. One of their port of arrival is Chennai and for the other item, it is yet to be known.

I checked your item status in 'Singpost' website and it says 'Released from Custom' on 19th; So I guess, it should not be a cause for worry, although we can't do anything about the delay in receipt.
batman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 20:43   #1554
BHPian

Planning to buy the VIOFO A119 V2(GPS+CPL) along with hardwire and fuse kit from Aliexpress

Shortlisted to this seller below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...999.267.6AGtpl

The deal looks sweet with total ~6800(Thanks to a 15$ store discount coupon). I will buy a 64GB memory card separately from Amazon. Wanted to have some second opinions prior to placing order.
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:27   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Planning to buy the VIOFO A119 V2(GPS+CPL) along with hardwire and fuse kit from Aliexpress

Shortlisted to this seller below

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...999.267.6AGtpl

The deal looks sweet with total ~6800(Thanks to a 15$ store discount coupon). I will buy a 64GB memory card separately from Amazon. Wanted to have some second opinions prior to placing order.
I purchased from this dealer last week and am awaiting delivery. I think many others here have purchased from him only. The $15 store coupon makes it really attractive
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:11   #1556
BHPian

Does anyone how do I purchase a CPL filter for my Garmin 45 dashcam? Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:51   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased from this dealer last week and am awaiting delivery. I think many others here have purchased from him only. The $15 store coupon makes it really attractive
Thanks.. Just placed my order. First international order for my first dashcam for my first car and ultimately will be my first DIY. Too many firsts in one go, so might be in need of some assistance and will keep on bugging you
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:19   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Thanks.. Just placed my order. First international order for my first dashcam for my first car and ultimately will be my first DIY. Too many firsts in one go, so might be in need of some assistance and will keep on bugging you
Not much of a DIY person myself, but please do shoot queries here. Others will surely chip in and help.
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:32   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ajay, I'm also planning to get the same dash cam.

Which method did you choose for shipping? Could you please clarify?
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:38   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hi Ajay, I'm also planning to get the same dash cam.

Which method did you choose for shipping? Could you please clarify?
I chose Free shipping via Singapore Post. Did not see any reason to pay $10 for aliexpress shipping.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks