Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2022, 11:36   #1336
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Hello,

I was wondering how much difference would an acoustic felt mat make a difference if laid throughout the floor , for a car that does not have one equipped from factory?

For instance , I have seen the felt mats running through out in cars like the Skoda Rapid and also a thick one on the Renault Lodgy which we own. I can say for Renault with a first hand experience that the vehicle has its NVH well sorted when compared to the other car , the Figo Aspire that we own.

For instance , here is a video that shows the cabin floor mats in Rapid ( Watch from 6:00 )

Is this the same as material as seen here?
Name:  acousticfelt500x500.png
Views: 2865
Size:  393.7 KB

The Figo does not come with a full floor Acoustic felt mat and hence this question . I am interested in putting in one , but would like to hear from the members here on their opinions?

Last edited by r24x7 : 18th February 2022 at 11:43.
r24x7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 21:00   #1337

Hi folks,

I have been going through this thread with interest & would like to share my own experience of having double layered sound proofing installed on the flooring of my Octavia.

Reason for installation: I upgraded my tyres to a lower profile 225 45 R17 (Michellin PS4) & this, coupled with the ever-increasing presence of concrete roads made my travels noisy, especially at highway speeds. I wanted to do something about all that vibration & sound making its way into the cabin

Vendor selection: I opted for Concept 12V, based out of South Bangalore. My brother had used them earlier in his X1. Its Run-flat tyres are notorious for noise & vibration & my brother expressed a lot of satisfaction post-installation

The product: Two layered Russian brand which added about 12mm to the thickness of the carpet. Installation was done by AudioFidelity, channel partner of Concept 12V

Driving experience: A very perceptible reduction of tyre noise in the cabin has made highway journeys pleasurable. While no cladding was done on the door as well as the cavernous boot (it would have almost doubled the cost), yet there is a definite reduction in ambient sound as well. I am quite happy with this investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
Can some one please suggest me a good place in Bangalore to get damping done on doors and boot of my Seltos HTX+, preferably South Bangalore.

Also what would be the approximate cost.

Vijay
HI vijay,

I just posted my own experience of using sound insulation product from Concept 12V. can share details if your are still interested
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-photo20220203111510-2.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-photo20220203111510-1.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2022 at 05:12. Reason: back to back posts merged; duplicate image deleted
amitmanjul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:37   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in installing this in my Nexon. Can you please inbox me the relevant contact numbers. How much did it cost? And is this mat 'water resistant'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmanjul View Post
The product: Two layered Russian brand which added about 12mm to the thickness of the carpet. Installation was done by AudioFidelity, channel partner of Concept 12V
Old 25th April 2022, 09:50   #1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in installing this in my Nexon. Can you please inbox me the relevant contact numbers. How much did it cost? And is this mat 'water resistant'?
HI, you may reach out to Naveen at 9886003036. I had paid 40K for product & installation. I believe he has various options at different price ranges.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2022 at 08:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 25th April 2022, 10:24   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
https://drartex.com/library/car-soundproofing-overview/

From the pic - it looks like a Dr Artex product. We can check this website

And that blue sheet listed on this page:
https://carcomfortlab.com/product-ca...ation-dampers/

Last edited by condor : 25th April 2022 at 10:27.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 00:34   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need some help to understand the dampening concept. I own a Ford Figo and wish to get it damped. Earlier had pasted few strips of Wruth Sound Deadening material during which the installer removed the stock vapour plastic. Ever since that, long drives are getting unpleasant with my wife and/or other co-passenger feeling giddy. (May be it is my psychology and there may be some other reason)
Looked at few brands and it seems like most are quite similar and costing is as per the brand value. My questions where I need your expert guidance are:
1. Most tines it is just me and my wife in the car so will it make sense to damp only the front 2 doors?
2. Why is it important to damp internal and external of the door? Will only external not help? More so because my car has no stock plastic on it anymore.
3. One of the vendor mentioned that for a hatchback only the external dampening should be good enough. True?
I wish to also get a decent component speaker installed - may be Infinity Primus or Pioneer TS C602 IN.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 2nd May 2022 at 00:37.
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:05   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
For instance , I have seen the felt mats running through out in cars like the Skoda Rapid.

For instance , here is a video that shows the cabin floor mats in Rapid
Are you refering to the thing removed at 6:26? That's interesting. Doesn't all cars have it? It would naturally obstruct road noise coming through the floor.
Old 2nd May 2022, 23:23   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Are you refering to the thing removed at 6:26? That's interesting. Doesn't all cars have it? It would naturally obstruct road noise coming through the floor.
Thanks for responding. Most cars that are well built may have it. But budget cars such as Figo have just one sheet of the usual carpet with very conservative pieces of foam or felt attached to it , not full layer of felt like you see in that video ( 6:26)

I'm planning on this experiment very soon.
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:09   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Hey Guys,

I wish to also get a decent component speaker installed - may be Infinity Primus or Pioneer TS C602 IN.
Any amount of dampening will reduce road noise,make sound quality of speakers better and dampening done right will also have a effect on how doors close with a nice thud.

Would suggest you get all four doors damped and even the boot lid, do it once for all and finish it rather then doing in parts.Sound dampening should be done both to external surface as well as inner door surface for best effect.

Lube all window channels while you open it so that you dont have to do it again .Also post closing all holes while you use damping sheets makes it difficult to replace any window channels etc, so have a good look at them and do replace them if required.

Regards,
Manoj.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 20:44   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Thanks for responding. Most cars that are well built may have it. But budget cars such as Figo have just one sheet of the usual carpet with very conservative pieces of foam or felt attached to it , not full layer of felt like you see in that video ( 6:26).
I have a Vento. If Skoda Rapid has that floor liner, am sure Vento also it. A lot of Kushaq and Taigun owners have been complaining about road noise intrusion into cabin. I wonder whether similar floor damping exist in these cars. If not, whether it would be possible to retrofit.
Old 25th May 2022, 20:44   #1346

Can anyone advise which brand of damping sheets would be best for Tata Harrier? I would like to install additional damping material on the doors, floor and luggage area.
Old 27th May 2022, 23:17   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shans281 View Post
Can anyone advise which brand of damping sheets would be best for Tata Harrier?
There is no single best product. It all depends upon how much you wish to spend.

Known brands: DampMat, CTK, StP, Dr Artex, Vibromax, Vibrofiltr, Blaupunkt, i-Copper etc.

Selection tips:

Material: Aluminuim + Butyl
There are more combinations such as Aluminium + butly + foam etc.

Thickness:
Entry level sheets have a thickness of 1.5 to 1.8mm.

Most routine ones are 2 to 2.5mm thick.

Then there are 2.5mm and beyond (7mm or more).

Generally, 2mm ones are the commonly used sheets.

Price: Prefer buying a bulk pack for cost effectiveness. One needs around 2 sheets per door.

For floor, luggage area and boot, consider around 3 bulk packs of 10 sheets each (I am not too certain about this quantity).

I have been using DampMat since Sept 2013.

My personal recommendation:
1. DampMat Exceed
2. Vibrofiltr
3. Vibromax
4. Dr Artex
5. CTK/StP
PaddleShifter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 00:14   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Update: I installed Vibrofiltr damping sheets today in my S-Cross.

Product: Vibrofiltr 2.3mm damping sheets.
Price: Rs900/sheet.
Place: Kalra auto accessories, Sector 50, Gurugram (Delhi-NCR region).

Quality of work: Poor/pathetic.

They used 4 sheets for driver door (four). Three sheets were used on front passenger.

Issues: The use of roller was paid I guess. They used roller for around less than half the sheets. I am sharing the photos. The work was so shoddy that I stopped the work and didnt get rear speakers or damping. I am attaching photos and you can see that the edges of many damping sheet pieces are not even rolled properly. They will eventually fall off in due course of time. Correct me if I am wrong. My Punto was damped with 10 sheets of DampMat in 2013 and the quality of work was proper inlike this one.

Avoid this place. I contacted Motor Concept by the way and perhaps they install higher end equipment (amps+subs+capacitors+speakers+damping etc). They sort of consider JBL GTO series as local stuff so didnt avail their service.
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-3082035af97547c6bee6ada7f1ff6326.jpeg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-4f9ec80d17984710823b7220ffc5ce21.jpeg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-4ff366e88c43405f9d6db0fe039052c0.jpeg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-8e156fb7738144eb9bb4ee7b4a0469c9.jpeg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-63b6e0f283dc4951a32512a22cdcbe08.png  

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 30th May 2022 at 00:18.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 00:37   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Update: I installed Vibrofiltr damping sheets today in my S-Cross.

Product: Vibrofiltr 2.3mm damping sheets.
Price: Rs900/sheet.
Place: Kalra auto accessories, Sector 50, Gurugram (Delhi-NCR region).

Quality of work: Poor/pathetic.
Thanks for sharing. There is dearth of good accessory shops in Gurgaon. I think motor concept would take up sole damping jobs but only when there's nothing else in their pipeline. Not sure why they made so many cuts on the damping in your car - 1 sheet in the inner layer and 1.5-2 sheets on the outer layer (picture you've posted) pasted in the size it came in the box would have sufficed. Good decision to not do it for the rear doors.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 09:50   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Thanks for sharing. There is dearth of good accessory shops in Gurgaon. I think motor concept would take up sole damping jobs but only when there's nothing else in their pipeline. Not sure why they made so many cuts on the damping in your car - 1 sheet in the inner layer and 1.5-2 sheets on the outer layer (picture you've posted) pasted in the size it came in the box would have sufficed. Good decision to not do it for the rear doors.
How about Jai Auto in Delhi NCR. Their work seems to be good based on their youtube videos. I haven't done any personal work with them.
shans281 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks