Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 07:56   #106
BHPian

@elf: looks interesting..

I'll let you know about the rubber today evening..

cheers!
Old 8th May 2007, 08:43   #107
Team-BHP Support

I got something like this done 4years back. was really effective in reducing road noise. Although the only reason I got it done was to prevent from scraping speed breakers directly on metal. very thick black rubberised paint.

I think it cost 800bucks total. will find out from HM guys and let you know.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:08   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
navin or anybody else: Any idea where I can find 0.5mm SS or Aluminium sheets? At 0.5mm, I'm thinking I'll need to look for 'varak' suppliers - the kind one finds on mithai or paan. Also, could normal flex be used instead of the SS/Al sheet? That stuff's quite cheap, & because it's a plastic compound, should'nt deteriorate as fast as foam would.
Elf/Sam, when I post here I am often just thinking aloud. SO come to think of it AL is out it is stoo soft and wont damp nothing. I would have said Lead but it is a carcinogen.

0.5 mm is too thick to be used on mithai (gold or silver). On Mithai they use something in the order of 0.05mm. I did find 05mm SS sheet but it was not economical and the AL sheet I got (as thin as 0.3mm) was reflector grade which is not economical again.

What is the normal flex? What we are looking for is a material that is soft, UV/humidity/dust proof, and can deaden a panel.

Sam I think you need 8 sheets for your Verna. 6 that you have detailed and 2 more for the underbody (under carpet). A lot of road noise comes in from there. Also some heatlon on the firewall is usefull as well.

I want to damp my mom's (Floor and doors), wife's a 3rd car (floor and doros) and some to play with in my car. So 8 sheets x 3 cars is 24 sheets. Besides if I have any left over my nephew, Rtech, GTO or Elf will be only too happy to grab it.

Last edited by navin : 8th May 2007 at 10:15.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:17   #109
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... What is the normal flex? What we are looking for is a material that is soft, UV/humidity/dust proof, and can deaden a panel. ...
Flex is a large plastic sheet, often used in advertising for hoardings & glow-signs. It's really really cheap (12 bucks a foot) & because it's nothing more fancy than a plastic sheet, is humidity & dust resistant. Deadening of a panel I don't know, but was thinking of using that in place of the metal foil on the double sided adhesive butyl sheet that shrivz found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... Besides if I have any left over my nephew, Rtech, GTO or Elf will be only too happy to grab it. ...
Ewwwww! 'Pre-owned', sticky rubber?

Quote:
Guys, what do you think about the Bardahl Ultra Coat?
HOEC BARDAHL INDIA LTD. ... Since it's a liquid, it should be easier to apply in nooks & crannies as well.
No response on this yet? navin? Sam?

Last edited by elf : 8th May 2007 at 10:19.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:19   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am ordering 27 sheets of this material. 24 are for navin (dont ask me why, ask him). 3 are for my verna.
Sam I'd suggest getting 2 for the underbody (under the carpet as well). BTW guys this offer will exprire very soon. I need my sheets by Saturday (12th May) so I can do all 3 cars next week.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:20   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If anyone else wants, PM me now, or hold your silence forever.
I thought I had already booked a few of these sheets!
Old 8th May 2007, 10:26   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, what do you think about the Bardahl Ultra Coat?
HOEC BARDAHL INDIA LTD.
[i]" Underbody CoatingSince it's a liquid, it should be easier to apply in nooks & crannies as well.
Looks interesting. Looks like something that STP once sold. Fine for underbody and external surfaces but I dont know if it should be used in doors.

So maybe a combination of this stuff as well as the damping sheets might be best.

We are now talking of not only damping but sound deading and isolation from road noise as well. Elf I think you are on the rigfht track. Where can we soruce this? How many cans do we need per car? Who wil apply this. My installer wont touch this product (atleast she refused to mess with the STP stuff) beucase it is so messy.
Old 8th May 2007, 10:28   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I thought I had already booked a few of these sheets!
Exact quantity. Rtech think minimum 6-8 sheets per car. My recomendations 8 for a Octavia, 7 for a NHC/Verna, 6 for a Getz/Swift. Why not ask GTO as well (he is getting to enjoy his ICE more everyday).
Old 8th May 2007, 10:39   #114
Team-BHP Support

Hop over to lamington road and you will find various cans of spray on insulation/underbody protection. They sell for around Rs.300/can. I guess this is good for area's like the boot, wheel wells and underbody, but not the doors, as the overspray may end up fouling with the power window/lock mechanism.

Navin, I'm only looking to add those sheets to the doors. How many would I need for that?

Last edited by Rtech : 8th May 2007 at 10:40.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:00   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Navin, I'm only looking to add those sheets to the doors. How many would I need for that?
2 per door. 4 doors = 8 sheets. Sam will use 6 for his Verna (by the time he has done all 4 doors) but he really should use 7.

Sam any idea how thick the sheet is. 2mm? 3mm?
Old 8th May 2007, 11:12   #116
Senior - BHPian

Navin - How many do you think an OHC would need? Considering that it's quite a tinny car & this one has already seen a lot of miles & years. Also, do I need to damp the rear doors even though there are no speakers mounted on it?
Old 8th May 2007, 11:30   #117
Team-BHP Support

for an OHC like Sam's Verna you'll need 6-7 sheets for the 4 doors. After this the rear deck, boot lid, trunk and floor. I would put a layer under the carpet as well as some underbody coating. If one was doing a comphrehensive job I would say 10 sheets but with a bit of frugality and intelligent placement I believe one can make do with 8 sheets.

I am using 8 sheets per car in my case. The reason I am using the same number of sheets for my Octavia as I am for my wife's Sail and Mom's NHC is that my Octavia already has a sheet of Extreme each front door.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:35   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

OK so I'm ordering some for Rtech as well. Am calling for 30 sheets, nice round figure. Then We'll see.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:41   #119
Team-BHP Support

Sam 30 wont be enough. 40 is more like it. 24 for me. 5 for you (3 for doors and rear deck 2 for under carpet), 8 for Rtech, 37 gone - you get the drift, who knows maybe Elfy will wake up and take a few then guys like Monkey and GTO will also get in on the action (they dont visit ICE so have no idea this is happening). 40 sheets will go easy.
Old 8th May 2007, 11:43   #120
Team-BHP Support

Even as a worst case measure 24 for me, 3 for you, 4 for Rtech we exceed 30 between the 3 of us. Add Elf, GTO, Monkey (who I know is looking for more damping) as the balance 9 sheets will be easily distributed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks