Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 23:07   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
might sound stupid but . Has any one tried to damp their Engine bay cover to reudce sound from say a noisy diesel engine?
Or are these "Damping mats" not heat resistant and would catch fire or melt due to the engine heat.
is there any suitable alternative to this ?
Not recommened.
They are not meant for engine bay area.
In some specific cars, there are manufacturer provided Engine Covers which help in damping the engine sound to a decent extent. Not sure if they are available for all cars.

I am refering to the fabia here, which has an engine cover for the diesel available, albeit at a cost which'd make you think twice
Old 17th June 2010, 08:23   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Not recommened.
They are not meant for engine bay area.
In some specific cars, there are manufacturer provided Engine Covers which help in damping the engine sound to a decent extent. Not sure if they are available for all cars.

I am refering to the fabia here, which has an engine cover for the diesel available, albeit at a cost which'd make you think twice
I saw that in Safari also, will check if that can be done in a petrol engine car.
Old 20th June 2010, 19:20   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
, That comes around 7.5k for damping a lancer. Fellow bhpian shankar got his a star damped at 700/Door, and i guess it is reasonably done.

I am thinking of going the DIY way, i and JK might order in bulk and do it ourselves.

Pramod

I got the front doors of my i10 damped from galaxy,cochin. they charged me rs.1700 for both doors. only the first surface was damped, not the inside of the door.

oh yeah, the damping material used was noisekill.
Old 1st July 2010, 17:42   #724
BHPian

I went to local market in Faridabad for damping, no one knows what damping is . One guy told me he can do it for 1300 full car, material he was going to use was same as black foam kind of thing used in car A/c's , Will it be good to damp with that material?
Old 1st July 2010, 18:06   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I went to local market in Faridabad for damping, no one knows what damping is . One guy told me he can do it for 1300 full car, material he was going to use was same as black foam kind of thing used in car A/c's , Will it be good to damp with that material?
Wont form absorb/keep water/humidity ? Kind of humidity lock if it gets wet?
Old 1st July 2010, 18:16   #726
Senior - BHPian

I think they use closed cell foam to insulate car a/c pipes. CC foam wouldn't absorb moisture.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:22   #727
BHPian

This is closed cell foam, Will it be good for damping?
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:55   #728
Senior - BHPian

CC foam rolled and packed is good only to reduce rattles in some places (like hatch/rear door/boot lid), but pasted on large surfaces it does not have a significant damping ability. Check with our dear old Dr. LBM Singh Freedabadwale (low_bass_makker), and he can point you in the right direction in Faridabad.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:02   #729
BHPian

Need to get my car damped as its messing with the sound, even at the lowest volumes, my doorpads have begun rattling.

Could someone suggest a good place for damping in South Mumbai?
And if possible, what is the cost im looking at?
Old 10th July 2010, 14:22   #730
BHPian

My installer quoted-
Rs. 1200 per door and
Rs. 1400
for the boot of my Fiesta Sports
The brand he said is Kicker, is the price quoted justified?
Old 16th September 2010, 22:00   #731
BHPian

Revisiting an old thread.Gurus kindly advise

I recently installed a pair of Bull components in my swift along with a pioneer 3250 HU.
I was told that , since I'm not installing an amp I wouldnt require any damping.
Now the issue is that when I crank up the volume , my door panels start to vibrate, a lot.

Searching the forum I learned all the brands of damping materials but I dont want to spend a lot at the moment.

But recently I came across this brand called Wurth, which I understand has been used by some of the bhpians here.

A direct deal from the company is being offered at an attractive rate of about Rs.2400/- for a pack of 6 sheets of 21" x 10" ( http://www.wuerth.com.ph/Catalog/WPI%20006%200005.htm ) The first one in the link catalog.

Is this worth in this price bracket ?? or shall I look elsewhere/alternate option cheaper option ?

Cheers

GT
Old 17th September 2010, 12:53   #732
Senior - BHPian

Damping question:

Does applying patches of damping material, instead of covering the whole area, on the inside of the outer door skin produce good result? Shouldn't this work to cut down resonance and vibrations and be effective?
Old 17th September 2010, 13:37   #733
Senior - BHPian

Depends on the size of the patches applied. Small ones like the size of one's hand or smaller are unlikely to make any difference. Swathes of 10-12" wide damping sheet would. That's how one does it - it would be *very* difficult to put one large sheet otherwise at one go.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:56   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Depends on the size of the patches applied. Small ones like the size of one's hand or smaller are unlikely to make any difference. Swathes of 10-12" wide damping sheet would. That's how one does it - it would be *very* difficult to put one large sheet otherwise at one go.
I'm talking about not covering the entire outer skin of the door. But applying patches like in the picture below. Random patches here and there.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-deaden_doors_10.jpg

Source: Car Audio Tech: Damping Your Doors For Better Sound
Old 17th September 2010, 18:36   #735
BHPian

Wurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm talking about not covering the entire outer skin of the door. But applying patches like in the picture below. Random patches here and there.

Attachment 425165

Source: Car Audio Tech: Damping Your Doors For Better Sound
@ sankar

I was also about to do the same with wurth sheets which have the dimensions of 22'' x 9 '' by slicing them in pieces , lemme know if this works out for you.

Cheers

GT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks