Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2007, 13:03   #406
BHPian

At what point do you need damping for sure? Say, for example, if you got a entry-level setup of an amp and front components only would you need damping? What about if you add a 10" or 12" sub to that setup?

My car is a Zen Estilo.
Old 9th November 2007, 14:04   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
At what point do you need damping for sure?
At the point where the volumes at which you listen to music cause the door/boot (or something else) to rattle more than you'd like -- enough to drive you nuts

Quote:
Say, for example, if you got a entry-level setup of an amp and front components only would you need damping? What about if you add a 10" or 12" sub to that setup?
With amped front-comps, you are very likely to need damping for the doors.

About the boot -- maybe. Depends on how loud you play the sub.

Veb, the best way is to get the stuff (ICE) installed first, listen to it for a couple of days at volumes you're comfortable at (your usual music at the usual volumes), and then make a call. You'll then know exactly where the damping is required and probably how well those areas need to be damped. (But usually it's the doors and boot that need damping first anyway.)

This is a bit of a hassle as you will need to visit the installer twice, and you may need to pay a little extra for two sessions of labour. But you'll be sure you did exactly what was necessary (and did not spend money unnecessarily). And you'll be able to judge how well the money was spent.
Old 9th November 2007, 15:02   #408
Senior - BHPian

My question is very simple. Sorry for not going through whole thing. How much is the cheapest sheet of damping?

My objective is not better acoustics, but I wish to get rid of door trim rattles in my Swift. So I just need something with some thickness and some adhesive on the other side. It's an experiment. Anybody has any left overs?
Old 9th November 2007, 15:06   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Anybody has any left overs?
Food or Damping ?
Old 9th November 2007, 15:12   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Food or Damping ?
What I know, I haven't been paying attention throughout the thread. But, sure if they've been sticking food in the inside of their doors, through the thread, I wouldn't mind trying what seems like a tasteful experiment. Can I order my own toppings?
Old 9th November 2007, 15:36   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
How much is the cheapest sheet of damping?
Welllll, I'm not sure about prices per sq feet, but I'll put it this way:

To damp your front doors, expect to pay about 2K for the cheapest (but still effective) damping job. Again, this depends on the car also. You'll need to pay a bit lesser than this if you're talking about a Skoda or a Palio, but you'll definitely need to pay about 2.5 to 3K to damp the front doors of an NHC or say a Swift.

To damp the boot of a hatch at minimum expense), it would run to about the same (1.5 to 2k). You can cut corners by going in for some VFM damping like stuffing some closed-cell foam into every crevice. Finding closed-cell foam is another matter. Quite a few people use open-cell foam (A/C foam) but this retains water, and will cause rusting in the long run. The boot of a sedan would need about 2K to 3K worth of damping overall.

American Dynamics and Wuerth are pretty reasonably priced brands of Damping Sheets.
Old 10th November 2007, 09:38   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
You can cut corners by going in for some VFM damping like stuffing some closed-cell foam into every crevice. Finding closed-cell foam is another matter.
Any hints on where i could look for it ?
Old 10th November 2007, 11:06   #413
BHPian

you can buy closed cell foam, also known as cross-link foam.

Gymnasiums use floor mats for exercising which are made of pretty much the same material, try sourcing them and the applying adhesive on one side, or you might be lucky to find one side adhesive foam readily available!

this will serve your purpose and will be relatively cheap, some 200 buks for a 3' x 4' sheet.
Old 10th November 2007, 16:45   #414
BHPian

Is damping also good for non-ICE related creaks and rattles? Maruti is notorious for bad build quality, but I wonder if a moderate investment of a few thousand would help improve that kind of stuff also.

Also, does damping have any disadvantages? i.e. in terms of things like loss of warranty, fire hazard etc.
Old 10th November 2007, 16:47   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is damping also good for non-ICE related creaks and rattles? Maruti is notorious for bad build quality, but I wonder if a moderate investment of a few thousand would help improve that kind of stuff also.

Also, does damping have any disadvantages? i.e. in terms of things like loss of warranty, fire hazard etc.
That will be the core of my research. And it will be well documented on the forum. Once my exams get over, that is.
Old 12th November 2007, 01:08   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
My mistake. I thought you are saying I can do it in my order of preference. Now I know that's your order of preference though. Thanks so much.
no offense. I am aware that most of what I say is misunderstood. I have to improve my communication.

Quote:
Is damping also good for non-ICE related creaks and rattles?
sure! damping can also be used to reduce road noise and engine noise.
Old 12th November 2007, 21:34   #417
Senior - BHPian

I have a Getz and the the damping of noise is quite good. Do you guys think damping would make much difference?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 12th November 2007 at 21:35.
Old 12th November 2007, 22:27   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have a Getz and the the damping of noise is quite good. Do you guys think damping would make much difference?
Do you mean to say you have already done some basic damping and it is good ? Or meant to say stock doors of getz is good enough ?

Best thing to check it out: knock the centre of your door with your fingers, do you hear a hollow, empty sound ? Best exercise would be park your car close to a M800 or swift, knock those doors and try knocking your getz. Any difference found ? If no noticeable difference found, then you can go ahead for a damping, it will make a world of difference in the audio, road noise cutting etc.

I was under the impression that Swift has a solid door panel compared to M800, Alto, Wagon R, Santro etc. But it proved wrong while I did my knocking test.
Old 13th November 2007, 01:38   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
No, you dont need damping in the Getz unless you are going for an above average ICE setup. The car has nice OE damping in the doors and it works for most people.
Old 14th November 2007, 08:45   #420

Hey Shrez!!!

Did u get to know what is the name of the stuff that ur dampening sheets are made of and what does your tyre wala actually call it and is use it for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks