Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 18:37   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I got 24 sheets of AD (4 boxes - 6 sheets to a box) for rs. 1400 per sheet. this sufficed for my Octy, my wife's Sail and my Mom's NHC. I did NOT damp the roof.
33.6K for 3 cars that averages to about 11.2K per car. This sounds decently expensive
Old 7th September 2007, 20:00   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
I requesting you guys to go through this link, & post your opinion on this,
EMC & Inductive Solutions Product Catalog
Sir, this is for EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) protection, to protect against interference from other RF sources, and also to prevent leakage of RF from small RF equipment.

Assuming you mentioned this one in the context of sound damping, this may not have mechanical properties suitable for that application, and is likely to be costlier than the ones talked about here.
Old 7th September 2007, 20:05   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
33.6K for 3 cars that averages to about 11.2K per car. This sounds decently expensive
Bhaya, the actual benefit in Navin-ji's cars is itself paisa vasool.

(Even though I have not heard it personally) Imagine being able to hear ONLY music, silence otherwise, no outside noises. Imagine bliss. Sighhhhh!!! (You will automatically forget cost)
Old 7th September 2007, 20:07   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did NOT damp the roof.
Pray, why the emphasis?
Old 7th September 2007, 21:07   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sir, this is for EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) protection, to protect against interference from other RF sources, and also to prevent leakage of RF from small RF equipment.

Assuming you mentioned this one in the context of sound damping, this may not have mechanical properties suitable for that application, and is likely to be costlier than the ones talked about here.

Yes, i know this is for EMI, that's what i confused, thanks for ur info, actually i got link to the person of wurth from navinji's post,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/432189-post130.html

& LBM sir, is it the same wurth material what ur showned in your post, if not, please give us the link to the person who deals in bangalore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/432231-post136.html
Old 7th September 2007, 21:59   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post

& LBM sir, is it the same wurth material what ur showned in your post, if not, please give us the link to the person who deals in bangalore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/432231-post136.html

Sir if you look in the post in the end I have written the name Bass & Trouble.

He had sent me the Wurth damping sheets. Try PM him.
Old 7th September 2007, 23:17   #367
Senior - BHPian

Again I did lot of bargaining, searching, finding new shops after my previous post and getting finalised with a deal from Carshringar (vikram). According to our last phone conversation my Dynamat Xtreme order is on its way to bangalore from mumbai by air. I have the contact numbers of the main dealer in India, sub dealer in Bangalore, sub dealer's permanent installer, few other outlets who sell and install Dyanamat etc.

Now its time to stop searching and start pasting the sheets up on my doors ( 4 doors + hatch door ) as 1st part of my damping project. Vikram gave me the best price in Bangalore for my Philips Crystal vision headlights 3 months back. So this time he is giving me the best quote for Dyanamat too ( 15% discount from the retail price ). With this offer, I am getting the work done mostly on 8th Sept Saturday. Will post more details as I get my 1st part done. I am not doing whole car in one shot just because doing the work in 2 parts gives enough time to feel the difference. Too excited to do this work than the spirit and enthusiasm I had in buying the HU, Alloys and Headlights. Dynamat website features Chip Foose (overhauling fame) and Jay Leno with lot of video clippings. Its interesting !! The Official Dynamat Website
Old 8th September 2007, 10:33   #368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pray, why the emphasis?
Becasue I wish I had. I could not damp my car's roof (damn car came with a totally useless sun roof) and my wife and mom could not give me the car long enough to do the same for them.

I do recommend damping the roof if you can. The liqiuid Wuerth (Viper got me some) is really useful here. it is thin, does not peal, and does a satisfactory job.

As far as pure silence is concerned that is not only diffcult (save using double glass a la Daimler et. al.) but also undesireable in Mumbai (one needs to know what is happenig al around with the chaotic traffic conditions).
Old 8th September 2007, 10:39   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bhaya, the actual benefit in Navin-ji's cars is itself paisa vasool.
I am sorry to say this but I think Jap cars (Civic, City, etc..) need damping more than Opel, Skodas, etc... I found the Elantra to be better damped than the Civic.

BTW the old Zen was better damped than the Santro.

So the requirement of dampig varies from car to car. The rap test (as popularised by Sam on his TV appearance) is the best indicator.
Old 8th September 2007, 10:57   #370
BHPian

A Quick Q, does Damping Material help in reducing the engine sound, horn etc heard inside the cabin too ? I guess it should, if it cuts off the outside noise but most of the engine noise should be coming from the front, thru the dashboard and the section under it, the members who have done dampening can share if they have done it there too and what is the overall effect on the engine noise heard inside the cabin ? If it really helps to reduce it to almost silence, I would like to try it too.
Old 8th September 2007, 12:12   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
A Quick Q, does Damping Material help in reducing the engine sound, horn etc heard inside the cabin too ? I guess it should, if it cuts off the outside noise but most of the engine noise should be coming from the front, thru the dashboard and the section under it, the members who have done dampening can share if they have done it there too and what is the overall effect on the engine noise heard inside the cabin ? If it really helps to reduce it to almost silence, I would like to try it too.
You need to layer the firewall on both side to make a noticeable difference.

If you damp the firewall make sure you use butyl rubber based products on the cabin side. On the engine side a heat resistant material like heatlon will be safer.
Old 8th September 2007, 22:54   #372
BHPian

Quote:

If you damp the firewall make sure you use butyl rubber based products on the cabin side. On the engine side a heat resistant material like heatlon will be safer.
Thanks Navin,

Have you done it in your car ? Can you share any products which can be used for the firewall for both engine compartment and cabin, I guess this will also involve the dashboard removal etc and probably is best in the hands of a good installer or the OEM itself , do you know of any such good agencies ?

Any one in Delhi, who has got it done, pls share your experience and any details for the products/prices/dealer etc.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th September 2007, 10:38   #373
Senior - BHPian

Another quick question - how do I damp the spoiler on my OHC.

Yesterday, I maxed the Base in order to do an external Audio check and realized that a lot of vibration is due to the spoiler. If i grasp the spoiler tightly, the vibration goes away i.e. basically the hollow internals of the spoiler are vibrating !!!

Not a lot of this spoiler noise reaches inside the cabin, but if its audible outside, kinda looks cheap IMHO. What to do?

Edit:
forgot mentioning - the Boot lid is decently Damped.

Last edited by manveet : 9th September 2007 at 10:39.
Old 9th September 2007, 16:37   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Navin, LBM, and all other ICE gurus can you suggest a website from where i can get dampening sheets/mats ( which one you suggest?) that i can purchase from here and get it delivered in the US as my mom is coming back in Oct end and can ask her to carry it back for me.

And, also please suggest how many sq.ft i would need to damp 4 doors and my boot? Thanks
Old 9th September 2007, 17:10   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Quote:

Navin - any specific recommendations? I want to use damping on my firewall too. Can you recommend specific brands to be used on the inside (not planning to do it engine-side as it will require a lot of work to remove the engine and stuff.

PS: Someone was also mentioning some sort of very-high-density rubber-based spray on material for damping. What could that be?

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th September 2007 at 17:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks