Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 20:24   #1
BHPian

ICE for Tata Safari GX

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade the ICE in my Safari Gx. Currently its comes with Alpine HU and 2 speakers in front doors and 2 tweeters. I am looking for a Motorized unit with 7" good resolution display. My main requirements are

1. Bluetooth
2. USB Support
3. Should be able to pair with Iphone and after market steering controls.
4. Can be used as a screen for rear camera, I don't really like the center OVRM display units.

I don't want to cut the Safari's dashboard to install 2-din screen systems. I want to keep it as stock as possible. Once HU is finalized I will go for next stage of speakers, AMP etc.

Can you please advice a good motorized system, I am not sure about the budget but I want to keep it on the sane side of 25K

Please advise.

-Ijeet
Old 5th August 2012, 01:18   #2
BHPian

Re: ICE for Tata Safari GX

According to your requirements, the best suited head units are the JVC AV-70BT, Pioneer 4490BT and the Pioneer 8490BT. Cheapest among these is the 4490BT, which fulfills all your requirements (except a high resoulution screen). The 4490BT comes with a motorized 7" screen with a resolution of 480*240 pixels whereas the other two come with a resolution of 800*480. If you are gonna use an iPhone or Ipod extensively, I would recommend you to skip the 4490BT as it doesn't have 'full' app support. Also, the JVC comes with steering wheel interface in the box, whereas you have to buy it seperately with the Pioneer.

P.S- The JVC's screen has a motion sensor (Not sure how this works though)
97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 11:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
... I am looking for a Motorized unit with 7" good resolution display. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
According to your requirements, the best suited head units are the JVC AV-70BT, Pioneer 4490BT and the Pioneer 8490BT. ...
None of these match @ijeet's requirements. JVC AV70 and Pio 8490 are regular 2DIN units, and @ijeet wants to avoid those as he does not want to cut the center console (the Safari standard slot is 1DIN). Pio 4490 is a 1DIN unit without the retractable 7" display. AFAIK, none of the known manufacturers have a 1DIN HU with retractable 7" display in their India line-up.

One needs to check in US, Singapore, HK, Dubai or online for such receivers. The models that come to mind are (all of them are DVD receivers):
- JVC KD-AV7100 (no BT)
- Jensen VM9312 (no BT) or VM9225BT
- DUAL XDVD8181 (no BT)
- Power Acoustik PD-710 (no BT)
- Boss BV9965I (no BT)
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 14:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@ijeet wants to avoid those as he does not want to cut the center console (the Safari standard slot is 1DIN). Pio 4490 is a 1DIN unit without the retractable 7" display.
Oops! I must have overlooked that sentence. Sorry

All manufacturers have stopped selling 1 DIN units with retractable screens in India right? Then he will have to get one from abroad i guess.
Old 5th August 2012, 16:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... All manufacturers have stopped selling 1 DIN units with retractable screens in India right? ...
None of them had offered that in the first place. With most car manufacturers offering 2DIN standard, and most consumers preferring external ceiling / sun-visor mounted screens, the retractable 7" version was never popular even in other countries.
Old 5th August 2012, 18:05   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guys,

Yes, I am looking for a flip out screen. I don't really want to alter my vehicle in anyway, hence all this circus.

I found one which takes care of all my requirements but I have to get it from US. What you guys think of Pioneer AVH P6300 BT ?
Anybody using this? How is the sound quality etc? Lets see if i can find it in India in my budget. Its going for around 50k in ebay India.

BTW why flip out screens are not that common in India? I find it nice solution for space problem inany vehicles?

Ijeet
Old 5th August 2012, 21:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... What you guys think of Pioneer AVH P6300 BT ?
BTW why flip out screens are not that common in India? ...
Good find. Being a Pioneer, it would sound good. It even seems to have some kind simple Time Alignment.

The why is quite simple - with regular 2DIN units available at half the price, the 'flip out' screens are not VFM. And, as I wrote earlier, one gets 1DIN DVD HUs coupled with ceiling / sun-visor / headrest mounted screens, for even less than 2DIN units.
Old 5th August 2012, 22:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
None of them had offered that in the first place.
But a few years back Pioneer used to sell them officially? Anyways thanks for clarifying! I need your help again, if ijeet doesn't mind that is. Among the entry level Morel Maximos and JL Audio TR series components, which don't sound bright? I prefer laid back sound. After your suggestion, I went for the Rockfords and am very happy with them
Old 6th August 2012, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Among the entry level Morel Maximos and JL Audio TR series components, which don't sound bright? ...
The Morel Maximos are not bright. Haven't heard the JL Audio TR series.
Old 6th August 2012, 20:42   #10
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte,

I need to get the HU from U.S.A, just need to find one Mule

Can you please guide me what should i look for while getting HU from U.S.A. Will it work properly in India, like FM etc? I know i will not get any warranty etc but apart from that anything else should i look fir?

Thanks for your help?

-ijeet
Old 6th August 2012, 23:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please guide me what should i look for while getting HU from U.S.A. Will it work properly in India, like FM etc? I know i will not get any warranty etc but apart from that anything else should i look fir?
-ijeet
Some HUs do not have an option to tune FM. in US, satellite radios are more popular.

Secondly - you must check whether you might be required to pay 30% custom duties for a new HU. IF you are buying online, some products clearly mention that the product might not work outside USA-Hawaii.

Take shipping insurance if its being couriered to you from USA.
Old 19th August 2012, 20:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

Some HUs do not have an option to tune FM. in US, satellite radios are more popular.

Secondly - you must check whether you might be required to pay 30% custom duties for a new HU. IF you are buying online, some products clearly mention that the product might not work outside USA-Hawaii.

Take shipping insurance if its being couriered to you from USA.
Hi Bharath,

It has FM, thing I am worried about is the resolution. I have read some reviews and theymentioned about picture clarity.

There are no other options in good brands , everything else is chinese and I am not very keen on them.

I am planning to ask somebody to carry from US and hoping to save some money on shipping and duty.

-Ijeet
Old 27th August 2012, 15:27   #13
BHPian

I did this reseach sometime back. Pyle is a name you can look for comes around $180
Old 27th August 2012, 16:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I did this reseach sometime back. Pyle is a name you can look for comes around $180
A friend had Pyle on his Safari.
Pyle PLD71MU Touch Screen DVD/CD/MP3/CD-R/USB/AM/FM/RDS Receiver | Overstock.com

The above site ships to India now.

Alternatively, I would suggest that you get a decent I DIN and headrest mounted LCD

Or ! there are 7 Inch LCD in headrest available which has onboard DVD player, USB player etc on one and which has video out for second screen. WOuld cost you 13k.

Get Morel Maximos! Its awesome for that price!

Last edited by jkdas : 27th August 2012 at 16:32.
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas

A friend had Pyle on his Safari.
Pyle PLD71MU Touch Screen DVD/CD/MP3/CD-R/USB/AM/FM/RDS Receiver | Overstock.com

The above site ships to India now.

Alternatively, I would suggest that you get a decent I DIN and headrest mounted LCD

Or ! there are 7 Inch LCD in headrest available which has onboard DVD player, USB player etc on one and which has video out for second screen. WOuld cost you 13k.

Get Morel Maximos! Its awesome for that price!
Thanks Mandy and JK but i ak not really keen on chienese HU's

JK, i don't really want it for watching dvds. My main use will be rear camera screen, bluetooth and navigation screen. I have a GX and the IRVM acts as a screen for sensors. I don't really want to alter OEM arrangement

one question though, Is your friend happy with motorised arrangement? Did he face problems of any kind? Is the height of the screen enough for viewing screen comfortably?

I know lots of questions but this is the first time I am hearing about somebody using flip out HU in his Safari so I will be really greatful if you can talk to your friend and post his comments here. It will surely help me in decision making.

Thanks

-Ijeet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks