Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 17:36   #331
BHPian

that must be a quick install buddy, i was there till 7pm and i came in the morning 11am , one thing i didn't liked was they deviate from the install many times , its like multitasking for them.

so how does it sound?
Old 5th June 2007, 13:26   #332
Team-BHP Support

The TBHP "Cheapskate" ICEs his Mom's NHC

My mom got an NHC CVT 6 months ago but we were busy. So finally I got it ICED.

Part 1 of the ICE was to convice Arya Honda to give me a 9843 instead of the 9846. The 9843 is a nicer machine and it is IPod compatible. No additional costs.

Part 2.
Infinity 6020cs in the front and 6022i in the rear. 6 sheets of American Dynamics damping for all 4 doors, trunk and under carpet and and 3 sets of Monster interlink were installed so that when the amp comes the install goes fast.

Part 3 (to be added later)
The bass will be managed by a Infintiy 12" ref. sub in a sealed custom box made by Sanen - the box is well made, braced (ok it has just a single cross brace) and filled with about 2 lbs of poly fill and it has a beautiful spray painted black matt finish.

The amplification will be (it has not yet been installed) a JBL 755.6.

Sam Kapasi did help me obtain the 755.6 (under the condition that it will be paid for) but I did not bother him with the components and coax. My dealer offers me a small discount anyway and the install for the speakers is free if you buy from her. So I let her earn a bit.

I have not yet got the all bills yet. So far all I have been charged for is 12.5K incl 12.5% VAT for the components and coax and rs. 1.5K towards labour for the damping and wiring (3 sets of RCA wire, power cables, etc..) 6K for an ipod cable and 8.4K for 6 sheets of damping. Costs so far 28.4K.

I have still to pay for the amp, the sub box and the wires/power cables. The sub rescued / salvaged so did not cost me. See I said I was a cheapskate.

What I liked about my installer was she did a really nice job of the install (a la B&T and Gunbir) including fabricating a mounting bracket (by chopping and modifying the installation accessories provided by Infinity) for the tweeters (in the front) since the options provided by infinity could not be used (for a flush mount in the door) in their natural state.

Estimated final costs:
HU: free from Honda
Ipod cable/adapter - KCA 420i: 6K
Speakers: 12.5K incl VAT, B&W.
Install labour: 1.5K
Damping: 6 x 1400 = 8.4K
Wires: 3.5K (estimated)
Box: 2K (esitmated)
Amp: 20-25K (estimated)
Sub: salvaged so free
Total - 28.4K pair so far and 25.5-30.5K expected. So 54-59K depending on final cost of amp and wires.

Pics will follow, I gotta learn from Sam, B&T, and ofcourse Gunbir and the boys from the North (Zak, Hydra, LBM etc..).

This is the first system where i have not DIYed anything. Even the XOs were left alone. Oops, I think Sam and B&T just fainted...gotta go and get them some water.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:15   #333
BHPian

Hmm... 54K for a cheapskate. I need to rethink my standards :-). Makes me wonder

But looks really good. And being selfish a few questions

1. Are 6 sheets enough for damping? I thought the trunk itself would take 4 sheets considering that you need to damp the spare tyre area and then the trunk lid as well as the sides. Or am I wrong? I am not too sure about damping, but all that my research says is that the trunk should be damped so I am assuming that all the metal area should be damped But then it would take away the OEM look that you seem to be fond of wouldnt it?

2. I was not aware that the Honda City had a place for the tweeters. Is that with all the NHCs or with the ZX version alone?
Old 5th June 2007, 17:33   #334
BHPian

@Ketchup. Ah Yes. I remember now. I was surprised as well when I had put on some Art Leather seat covers. It is more a bench rather than a seat and yup you could fit an amp there and it is decently ventilated as well.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:54   #335
BHPian

Navin, congratulations to you & your mom on the new ICE setup. Can I ask a few questions?
How do the Infinity 6020 comps differ from the 6010 ones & how would you compare their sound with that of the JBL GTO607?
How do the American Dynamics (AD) sheets compare in quality & price to Dynamat Extreme? I presume AD is also butyl based.
Thanks in advance.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Hydra & Zak are from the south, while LBM rules the north.
Old 6th June 2007, 23:22   #336
Team-BHP Support

I have not heard the 607s but I have heard the 6010 (my wife has those) and the 6020. The 6020 is a bit brighter but that maybe becuase I have not modded the XO yet. I fully intend to do that at a later date.

Extreme is a better prodcut but at 3 times the price and someone has to carry it down. If you buy Extreme locally it is even more expensive. AD for me was available cheap so I picked up 24 sheets. Used 4 in my wife's sail, 7 in my Octy (along with 2 sheets of Extreme I already had), and 6 in my mom's NHC. The remaining 6 sheets are awaiting our next car (I want another CVT, my wife is holding out for the Fit or Yaris which ever gets here first).
Old 6th June 2007, 23:25   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
Hmm... 54K for a cheapskate.
In audio circles I am known as the cheapskate. Salvaged the sub and got Honda to "upgrade" the HU for free.

Come to think of it I did follow my own advice. 12K out of 54K is just damping and RCA wires.
Old 6th June 2007, 23:51   #338
Senior - BHPian

Congrates for new setup navinji.. When will you post the pics ? All audio lover in your family ?
Old 7th June 2007, 01:35   #339
Senior - BHPian

Navin Ji any pics of the install , if yes then maybe a new thread from your side.....
Old 7th June 2007, 11:47   #340
Team-BHP Support

No picsyet. the pics will come when the amp and sub go in. I'm still in the film world.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:23   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No picsyet. the pics will come when the amp and sub go in. I'm still in the film world.

So this time we will be using the D80 for the job.....
Old 7th June 2007, 19:12   #342
BANNED

Congrats NavinJi! Ok, it is your mom's car but I'm sure you were the one behind the ICEing up!

54k - 59k??? And you call it cheapskate???
My god! I wanna see your EXPENSIVE install!

Anyway, good choice of equipment. Though, I am a bit confused if that iPod adapter is way too overpriced. Please, could you clear it out.
Old 7th June 2007, 20:04   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Congrats NavinJi! Ok, it is your mom's car but I'm sure you were the one behind the ICEing up!

Anyway, good choice of equipment. Though, I am a bit confused if that iPod adapter is way too overpriced. Please, could you clear it out.
I think it is not Just the cable it is the whole adapter thing thats why it is expensive....
Old 8th June 2007, 12:38   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
So this time we will be using the D80 for the job.....
I have a N80. My D80 is in Singapore.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:42   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

I was branded The Cheapskate by the community. It is not a self given nick.

Alpine makes atleast 2 types of Ipod adapters. the 420i is expensive and for older decks. the 422 is cheaper and for new decks. the 9843 is an older deck. the 9855/56 are newer as are decsk from the 9881 line.

Most Viewed