Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Front Speaker upgrade for my Ford Ikon

Hello Friends,

First of all, Wishing you all a Very Happy and Mighty Prosperous New Year

Now coming back to my question - Sometime back I had fitted a Blaupunkt MP57 HU along with Blaupunkt TH Series speakers in the rear in my Ford Ikon; but had retained the stock Ford speakers in the front. Though I am very happy with the TH Series rear speakers, the sound is more tilted towards the rear speakers than the front speakers. I tried pushing the Fader by about +2-3 stops to enhance the sound coming from the front speakers (for a more uniform sound distribution). It works, but it also results in significant loss of sound clarity from the rear speakers. As a result, I wish to upgrade my front speakers so that I can have uniform sound output from all the 4 speakers without any loss of sound clarity.

For my existing audio setup, which front speaker brands / models are recommended to achieve my needs? My budget is till 4-5k. Any suggestions are most welcome.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front Speaker upgrade for my Ford Ikon

Change the front speakers to components. What size speakers do you have in the front (Ford OE): 5.25" round, 6.5" round or 5"x7" oval?

Assuming that most Ford cars have 5x7 speakers in the front doors, you could search around for Polk 5x7 components. But
* First check the current speaker size
* Do take time to ask for an audition of the components before committing
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir-ji, IIRC the slots for the front speakers is actually enough for 4". Anything bigger needs a spacer. The slot is round, and is covered by the storage tray/space on the door.

I would suggest 5.25" components, with the tweeters mounted near the ORVM adjustment levers. This set-up will keep things looking stock. Anything more than this will need more work.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 23:40   #4
BHPian

I am not sure about the exact size of the front speakers, but the description about the front speaker section as given by condor fits it perfectly.

Now that I think of it, it suddenly struck me that I had tried installing JBL speakers in the front when I installed Blaunpunkt HU and Blaupunkt speakers in the rear, but somehow the JBL speakers didn't fit perfectly in the front speakers slot and thus I had retained the stock Ford speakers in the front at that time.

Going by your suggestions, I will definitely go for the components. Any particular brand / model that you guys suggest? (Preferably Blaupunkt - though I am open to try other models as well)

Cheers,
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:08   #5
BHPian

I have used 5.25" bull audio and alpine comps in the front doors of my ikon without a spacer ring or any other modification so I don't think installing 5.25" speakers should be a problem. However I feel that without an amplifier, the front comps will still not be as loud as the rear coaxials but the quality will definitely be better.
If your budget is around 4-5000 bucks, do give bull audio comps an audition, they sound good for the money and will fit without any modification.

Last edited by Astleviz : 3rd January 2012 at 01:10.
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

5.25" drivers will work without cutting the doorpads.
The actual provision by ford is for 6x8 speakers such as this : Infinity 680.9cs 6" x 8" 2-way Kappa Series Component System

I personally would either use the example above or cut the doorpads, damp the doors properly and run 6.5" drivers....Nirvana.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:12   #7
BHPian

You could also try the JBL 608C components and they sound really nice and soft. They dont sound loud/boisterous. You can go for a 2 channel amp and can connect your rear speakers as well to the amp to get a good punch out of the setup. Most importantly as our fellow bhpians have said, its important to audition the speakers and choose the one which gives you the right feel and matches your expectations. Good luck for your speaker hunt pal.
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
5.25" drivers will work without cutting the doorpads.
The actual provision by ford is for 6x8 speakers such as this ...
That means it is the 5x7 slot (Ford tradition) which can take 6x8 oval, 5.25 round and 6.5 round also!

Anyhow, plenty of options now in that price range - Polk, JBL, Infinity, Bull, Auditor, Morel ... listen to them before you buy - a couple of them you may not like personally. An amp would definitely improve the listening experience, but you can plan for it later. Just make sure the speakers are mounted properly with the right mounting adapters.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
That means it is the 5x7 slot (Ford tradition) which can take 6x8 oval, 5.25 round and 6.5 round also!
Not extactly . The stock hole is designed for 5.25" or less round that have square edges.
Adding a 6.25" in stock mount means cutting the metal + the plastic cover which is a n extension of door pocket.
Or esle custom made spacer can be added and bolted on some were below door handle ,but door needs to be drilled to fix this.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:48   #10
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys - this gives me quite a good head-start in my quest for replacing the front speakers. I will audition a few and see which I can opt for.

Can someone from Mumbai point out a decent dealer with whom I can get a live demo of the speakers? Last time I changed the rear speakers the dealer (in Thane) didn't give me any option to hear them out - luckily I had asked for Blaupunkt TH Series speakers (going by reputation) and escaped any ignonimity of ruing over the choice of speakers later on. Anyway I don't wish to take any chance this time and want to make sure I hear them out before-hand. After all a car is as good as its music system
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:24   #11
BHPian

Just wanted to add one important point. Please audition the speakers in a car and not in the rack in a shop. Most of the times, the audition room in a car accessory outlet is closed and you would not be able to get the actual feel of the sound. Just ensure that the ICE setup is done in a neat way so as not to impact your warranty and make your car retain the showroom look.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikon front speakers - spacers & door pads etc

Quote:
nitrous : 5.25" drivers will work without cutting the doorpads.
The actual provision by ford is for 6x8 speakers ..
@Nitrous, are you sure of this size ? Here's two pics from my Ikon:
1. the 5.25" components with the 5mm spacer. I dont think they will fit without the spacer.

Front Speaker upgrade for my Ford Ikon-ikonfrspkspacer.jpg

2. The door pad with the spacer & the 5.25" speaker. This is from bottom. The door pad does not fit properly. I have this problem on both sides.

Front Speaker upgrade for my Ford Ikon-ikonfrspkr1.jpg

Quote:
nitrous : I personally would either use the example above or cut the doorpads, damp the doors properly and run 6.5" drivers....Nirvana.
May not try the 6.5", but am going to try the damping for a start .. thanks !
Old 11th March 2012, 21:33   #13

I had a similar requirement for my 2006 Ford Fusion. I fitted Image Dynamics CTX-57 in place of the front stock speakers. They were of size 5x7. The CTX 57 fitted perfectly on the stock mounting position.

They were purchased from Driven, East of Kailash, Delhi
Old 14th March 2012, 00:20   #14
BHPian

You guys should keep checking the classified section. 5x7 components speakers are on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks