Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Yet another XUV500 (as new as Aug 2018!) unhappy with sound.

My requirement is increase in bass. I am looking at options like JBL GTO600c + JBL coaxial (14k+4k) OR POLK DB+6502 + POLK DB+ 652 (11k+6k). POLK option the guy told me works well even without amps!

So a quick question, do coaxials provide the bass or the comps? My take was coaxials. However 1 shop in koramangala, blr said JBL GTO600C (reminded me of our GTO ) gives awesome bass BUT another shop said POLK coaxial gives good base and comps dont generally give bass.

PS: I am not referring to chest thumping bass and neither do I want a subwoofer setup.
Sam, the components will not give you as much base as regular JBL coax. I did try that during my installation as well. I had compared Rockford comps as well but JBLs give the best bass. You can stick to comps on rear doors and comps on front.
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:26   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Sam, the components will not give you as much base as regular JBL coax. I did try that during my installation as well. I had compared Rockford comps as well but JBLs give the best bass. You can stick to comps on rear doors and comps on front.

Thanks supertinu. I think that was a typo from your end. I hope you meant coaxials for rear and comps for front. And your finding is that jbl coax gives better bass than most others. Please confirm.
Old 3rd October 2018, 00:27   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks supertinu. I think that was a typo from your end. I hope you meant coaxials for rear and comps for front. And your finding is that jbl coax gives better bass than most others. Please confirm.
Oops. Yes i meant that JBL Coax were best performing in terms of bass, even compared to Rockford Coax which have much better mid range. So stick to comps on front and coax on rear if you dont plan to get a sub. If you get a sub then you can get better coax or comps on rear doors as well.
Old 3rd October 2018, 00:46   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Oops. Yes i meant that JBL Coax were best performing in terms of bass, even compared to Rockford Coax which have much better mid range. So stick to comps on front and coax on rear if you dont plan to get a sub. If you get a sub then you can get better coax or comps on rear doors as well.
Thanks!

At the moment my final bet is between

1) Polk DB series comps (6501) & coaxial (651) which according to my JC Road guy is the best combo for bass with a sony 4 channel amp. DB+ series seems to be the newer model however I am thinking of the DB series since all together he gave a quote of 21k incl kits and fitting.

2) JBL GTO600c comp + JBL coaxial with JBL 604a 4 channel amp suggested by Manoj, Sachins Autoshop Koramangala. He is quite confident that this set is the best to go for since my requirement is bass without a subwoofer. Total around 27k

@all please let me know if the JBL combination is worth the extra premium or i should stick to Polk.
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:41   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

1) Polk DB series comps (6501) & coaxial (651) which according to my JC Road guy is the best combo for bass with a sony 4 channel amp. DB+ series seems to be the newer model however I am thinking of the DB series since all together he gave a quote of 21k incl kits and fitting.

2) JBL GTO600c comp + JBL coaxial with JBL 604a 4 channel amp suggested by Manoj, Sachins Autoshop Koramangala. He is quite confident that this set is the best to go for since my requirement is bass without a subwoofer. Total around 27k

@all please let me know if the JBL combination is worth the extra premium or i should stick to Polk.
I would suggest adding a shallow sub and using a 4 channel Amp to power GTO600C comp and power the coax through the head unit directly. The advantages of a shallow sub are that you get good bass without losing space and the bass is not too deep.

Another suggestion is the install the tweeters for the comp lower than the window level. That would give a better sound mapping and the sound won't be too shrill at higher levels.

You may refer my name(Mayank) to remind Kumar or Manoj at Sachin's, of the setup They would be able to recollect as I have pestered them numerous times to finally get the correct sound map.

Drop me a DM in case you need any additional input/help
Travelator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:02   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

You can start with this but my view is that a sub is required to get complete music. I did exactly what you have here but eventually included an under seat sub to get things completed. As travelator sad, either you can go for shallow sub or get an underseat option.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 09:01   #232
BHPian

Guys now one extra ordinary update (BUDGET UPGRADE) :-

After so much R&D in Team-bhp, I head to a accessories shop near my home (Car Tunes, Mahadevapura, Bangalore who has a whopping 4.8 rating). I usually go to JC Road but this time went in the opp direction seeing the reviews. The guy Pramod Reddy is very knowledgable and doesn't push for unwanted upgrades. If we say we have budget he will open up options. So when I told him that my requirement is to let go of the horrible Nippon speakers and improve bass and clarity, he immediately suggested Pioneer TS-C601IN comps for both front and rear WITHOUT Amplifier. Ok wait, I know, Pioneer !!! WTH, I had the same thoughts. But he was so assuring and even offered to take back the speakers if I did not like and -

RESULTS are amazing! MUST change for all XUV500 owners (atleast the Plush model, I cant vouch for older models since headunit is now revised). And tell you what it costs just 6000rs for 4 comps (front and rear set) but I did damping for all for doors as well totalling to 12k. May not be in the league of top end comps (I had hertz in my 2011-12 Swift), but these do the job really really well and even on the cover it was written, "Tuned for India - Strong Bass" and it does give strong bass and decent clarity and mid range, highs are bit too much sometimes though. 100% satisfied and my search ends here.

Note: Apart from the lack of bass, clarity and bad jarring, I had a slight 'noise' in my speakers in some songs in the Nippon speakers (like some loose thing vibrating). Unfortunately that did not go and proves it is some issue with the Headunit. I will continue to fight with Mahindra on this. I have the case with them still open and talking to Mahindra Customer Care Area Manager, Karnataka.

OFF TOPIC - I changed the fog lamps to Auxbeam LED and again outstanding improvement. Again it was suggested by Pramod, Car Tunes. Feel like the new Fortuner low beam now when used with Stock Low Beam projectors+new LED Fog lamp. Happy happy me!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 10th October 2018 at 09:05.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 22:06   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Guys now one extra ordinary update (BUDGET UPGRADE) :-
Hi Sam,

Could you please provide more details about the ICE upgrade you did. I also own the Plush New XUV500 and want to get rid of the mediocre sounds it currently has. I am not so aware of this sound thing for car..

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2018 at 07:06. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.Thanks!
Old 28th October 2018, 08:27   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Hi Sam,

Could you please provide more details about the ICE upgrade you did. I also own the Plush New XUV500 and want to get rid of the mediocre sounds it currently has. I am not so aware of this sound thing for car..
The setup I did is 2 pairs of Comps for Front and Back (Pioneer TS-C601IN) - Total cost 6k

Damping all four doors - Total cost 6k.

THATS IT!

The outcome is very good with punchy bass and leaps and bounds increase in clarity with NO jarring. I have shown this setup to a few friends (one of them owns an xuv), and all are happy. I play even at 100% volume now and no jarring! If you take out the damping cost, it is after all only 6k! On another note I have even challenged Anand Mahindra to have a look at my setup to learn how to do a decent ICE Thats a different fight, will update on that later.

However please note that this is only a secondary path to glory. If one is a die hard music fan, they should opt for the Amplifier+Polk(or likewise) premium upgrade. The Pioneer I suggested here is just to take the BEST out of the Mahindra headunit, when I say BEST, look to be really astonished on how good the stock headunit is, which was unfortunately spoiled by the terrible nippon speakers.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 28th October 2018 at 08:31.
Old 28th October 2018, 09:45   #235
BHPian

Hi Sam,

I own a Plush XUV500, and while the audio quality is better than my previous cars, I've always felt that it could be even better. But i was not keen on getting an amplifier based setup.

I think i will try your upgrade path. Couple of questions though.

Does the tweeter of the component speakers go into the A pillar?

Are the wattage and ohm ratings of the OEM speakers, same as that of the Pioneer ones?

Also, this does not void any warranty, right? (No spliced wires i hope).
Old 29th October 2018, 06:11   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Hi Sam,

I own a Plush XUV500, and while the audio quality is better than my previous cars, I've always felt that it could be even better. But i was not keen on getting an amplifier based setup.

I think i will try your upgrade path. Couple of questions though.

Does the tweeter of the component speakers go into the A pillar?

Are the wattage and ohm ratings of the OEM speakers, same as that of the Pioneer ones?

Also, this does not void any warranty, right? (No spliced wires i hope).
Yes the tweeters get into A and B pillars (since I have 2 pairs of Comps). I am sorry not sure about the wattage of OEM. The pioneers work well with the stock headunit. However in future if you have plans to go for Amps, then choose more premium speakers. I did not have a plan for Amps, so for such people this works.

No this does not void warranty, no wires spliced.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:21   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the tweeters get into A and B pillars (since I have 2 pairs of Comps).
Do post a pic of the B pillar tweeter placement.
Old 8th November 2019, 17:27   #238
BHPian

Guys, I'm planning to get the New Xuv 500 W3 model. As you all know, it doesn't come with any audio system. I would appreciate if experts would suggest a decent head unit + speaker combo. The head unit should be capable of acting as reverse cam display as well.
I'm at Chennai and my max budget would be 30k.

Thanks!
Old 11th December 2019, 15:32   #239
Team-BHP Support

Any leads for the silver box thingy repair apart from Nippon? My former colleague's car in Bangalore has lost audio and the dealer is saying it costs 30k new one. Or any other alternative for a head unit while not losing out on OE functionalities?
Old 8th November 2020, 15:58   #240
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians

Its been very long since i have posted on the forum.

I have 2016 mar XUV W10 and was updated with android auto suite in aug 2016. However, recently mahindra updated scorpio to apple carplay but no update for new age xuv W10.

Would anybody please guide if there is a possibility of upgrading new age xuv w10 with apple car play?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks