Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 13:31   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideDown View Post
Hi Arun, can you share what you finally ended up installing, and how much was the damage to your pocket? I ask because I am also looking for an ICE Upgrade for my month old W6.

If fellow BHPians can suggest something that would be great. I listen to everything. Yes, quite literally everything - from Mandarin ballads, to Thumris, to American Country Music, to JS Bach, to Janelle Monae to Rabindra Sangeet to typical bollywood hits.

My requirement is very simple, the ICE should sound as close as possible to the way the composer intended the piece to sound. I am no audiophile, but I do tend to appreciate the little nuances that make a piece beautiful. If a section has deep baritone male vocals, my speakers/woofers should be able to render them crisply. Same for the mids and highs.

Total sound pressure (volume) is not priority, but the clarity is.

I would like to retain the original HU so as to not mess with Bluetooth, reverse camera etc. My budget would be around 30-40k.

Also can our Pune BHPians recommend a good place to get the work done? The dealer I bought the car from (Sahyadri Motors) is one option and I have a single good review from a co-worker. But I want to look at more options before finalizing.
Try getting Morel comps if you want close to neutral sound. They are laidback and sound good.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 22:41   #197
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you do never get the ICE installed from the showroom's accessory guys, these people are hands on when it comes to splicing wires.

In Poona, there is this shop somewhere in Bibewadi or near MIT who does ICE installs in the notoriously difficult to work on Fiats. Here again he retains the original HU and manages by changing the speakers, adding amplifier, subwoofer etc. per the customer's demands.

IIRC fellow bhpian 'parimal_g' got his Punto ICED from this guy, you should pm him for better details.

Quote:

I would like to retain the original HU so as to not mess with Bluetooth, reverse camera etc. My budget would be around 30-40k.

Also can our Pune BHPians recommend a good place to get the work done? The dealer I bought the car from (Sahyadri Motors) is one option and I have a single good review from a co-worker. But I want to look at more options before finalizing.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 20:55   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Whatever you do never get the ICE installed from the showroom's accessory guys, these people are hands on when it comes to splicing wires.

In Poona, there is this shop somewhere in Bibewadi or near MIT who does ICE installs in the notoriously difficult to work on Fiats. Here again he retains the original HU and manages by changing the speakers, adding amplifier, subwoofer etc. per the customer's demands.

IIRC fellow bhpian 'parimal_g' got his Punto ICED from this guy, you should pm him for better details.
Appreciate the info. I was looking to get it done somewhere closer to either home (Pimple Saudagar) or work (Kalyaninagar) - Just in case I have to visit them multiple times in case something goes wrong or needs adjustment.

But I did ask around a little bit and the consensus seems to be the Focal Integration Series Comps up front and Focal Coaxes in the rear with the option of adding an under seat woofer later if required.
Since I want to retain the stock HU, my options are somewhat limited based on what I am hearing (no RCA outputs)
I have a couple quotes of abount 23-25K - with the speakers set, labor and padding. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:09   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Guys, what effect on the warranty of the electrical if we install an AMP and component setup on all four doors. Heard that the XUV infotainment unit doesn't have a detachable socket at the back and its only wires direct to the speakers.
In such a scenario would changing of the stock speakers with a set components without wiring the amp suffice (to preserve the warranty).

Any insights will be really helpful.
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:42   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
Guys, what effect on the warranty of the electrical if we install an AMP and component setup on all four doors. Heard that the XUV infotainment unit doesn't have a detachable socket at the back and its only wires direct to the speakers.
In such a scenario would changing of the stock speakers with a set components without wiring the amp suffice (to preserve the warranty).

Any insights will be really helpful.
I had the exact same question. And from what I heard at multiple places where that they (claim to) do speaker upgrades on XUVs all the time, is that there is no issue with warranty. That is without an Amp. When adding an amp, it depends on the service center you go if you have a warranty issue. Some will be ok with it and others may not.

And you are right - the stock HU in XUV is somewhat limited in that it does not provide RCA outputs. You do have the option of adding an amp but it needs another device (converter?) between the HU and the Amp. And that device also has to be a decent one otherwise it introduces hum and noise.
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:27   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I had the exact same question. And from what I heard at multiple places where that they (claim to) do speaker upgrades on XUVs all the time, is that there is no issue with warranty. That is without an Amp. When adding an amp, it depends on the service center you go if you have a warranty issue. Some will be ok with it and others may not.

And you are right - the stock HU in XUV is somewhat limited in that it does not provide RCA outputs. You do have the option of adding an amp but it needs another device (converter?) between the HU and the Amp. And that device also has to be a decent one otherwise it introduces hum and noise.
Thanks RubberSideDown. As of now, i have done just that. Replaced the speakers with Focal polyglass components. The clarity has indeed increased but the loudness is just about adequate. anything beyond the 50% sound the rear speakers end up producing "NOISE" while the components huffs and puffs to give me some quality music.

Will be visiting the service center over the coming weekend to check further.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:31   #202
Senior - BHPian

Dont be afraid guys about the warranty, you would not face issues. Go ahead with the set up you want.
Heres my thread in case you missed it (just to give you little courage )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...00-iced-3.html
Old 4th June 2016, 12:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arun, can you share what you finally ended up installing, and how much was the damage to your pocket? I ask because I am also looking for an ICE Upgrade for my month old W6.

If fellow BHPians can suggest something that would be great. I listen to everything. Yes, quite literally everything - from Mandarin ballads, to Thumris, to American Country Music, to JS Bach, to Janelle Monae to Rabindra Sangeet to typical bollywood hits.

My requirement is very simple, the ICE should sound as close as possible to the way the composer intended the piece to sound. I am no audiophile, but I do tend to appreciate the little nuances that make a piece beautiful. If a section has deep baritone male vocals, my speakers/woofers should be able to render them crisply. Same for the mids and highs.

Hi
I actually havent installed anything yet, when i enquired lot of them in Bangalore including Some of the best guys are suggesting to change the HU too to see the real differene nd then it would mean 70-80k affair which i am not keen to spend at this time...so still enquiring!

Will keep you posted if i decide!

Thanks!
Arun
Old 18th July 2016, 19:29   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I recently upgraded to the XUV in June 2013 (you can see my ownership thread here) and got the ICE installed at the dealership itself, Anant Cars. They have done an excellent job, too. Here's what I have changed/added:

Infinity PR6500CS component speakers (4 Nos., one on each door + 4 tweeters two on the A pillars and two on the B pillars, just around shoulder height)

JBL GT-X626 4 Channel amplifier, placed under the front passenger seat.

If you want some pictures, let me know, I will click some and upload it here.
Can you share the details of the SA and the Accessory guy who helped you setup the system and also retain warranty. My recent visit at Anant cars and the accessory guy was pleading and swearing by God to not install amps as that would certainly void warranty. I even tried to lure him for a full install at the his place but he wouldn't budge.

I am in a catch 22 situation right now where I NEED a good music system and I can't have one
Old 17th August 2016, 00:09   #205
BHPian

Last weekend, upgraded ICE of my December'2014 red cheetah.
Opted for Sportstage Peak Power 3000 Watts audio enhancement kit by JBL. Its kind complete plug and play audio upgrade package.The package includes an 8-channel audio solution with a built in DSP, two front speakers, two rear speakers, two tweeters, amplifier. The system is sub-woofer ready . Sub-woofer needs to be purchased separately (optional)
No splicing or cutting of electrical and speaker wires.
No drilling of holes in the car body that disrupt the sound quality.
Super Fast installation process.

I will buy a sub-woofer later... but, to be honest, IMHO, the improved quality of sound is so good that i am not finding any necessity for a sub-woofer.

The JBL package includes
IX-60C component speakers - 2
IX-60 coaxial speakers – 2
DSP Amplifier
Konnect kit
Complete installation, testing and commissioning took about 2 hours at Car Jewels- Minister Road, Secunderabad / Hyderabad
Total Damage 24K
Night_Hawk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 15:05   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Opted for Sportstage Peak Power 3000 Watts audio enhancement kit by JBL. Its kind complete plug and play audio upgrade package.The package includes an 8-channel audio solution with a built in DSP, two front speakers, two rear speakers, two tweeters, amplifier. The system is sub-woofer ready . Sub-woofer needs to be purchased separately (optional)

I will buy a sub-woofer later... but, to be honest, IMHO, the improved quality of sound is so good that i am not finding any necessity for a sub-woofer.

The JBL package includes
DSP Amplifier
Konnect kit
Complete installation, testing and commissioning took about 2 hours at Car Jewels- Minister Road, Secunderabad / Hyderabad
Total Damage 24K
Congratulations. I am interested in this product as it does not void warranty.

The Harman website does not list XUV refresh w10 in the compatible list of cars. Would it be possible to check with your installer if Sportstage is compatible with W10 as well?

Thank You.
Old 24th October 2016, 16:58   #207

Hello ICE Gurus,

I am picking up Xuv500 W4 variant, I didnt like the Monchrome Headunit which is given with the car, can I swap the Headunit only with an after market one? If yes, which one is a direct fit, not keen on changing the speakers for now.

Cheers
Abhi aka Dirtrider

Last edited by dirtrider : 24th October 2016 at 17:13. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 28th October 2016, 14:09   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post

The JBL package includes
DSP Amplifier
Konnect kit
Total Damage 24K
Hey, congratulations on this purchase and I too am interested in it.
Can you please provide some more details -

1. How easy was it to install, possible to upload any pics?

2. How much better are these compared to OEM?

3. These are available in snapdeal/amazon etc. Where did you buy from and whats the total cost including the installation?
Old 8th November 2016, 17:11   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_inasu@gma View Post
Customisation:
I decided to go with a black and white look, did a computer generated image of the same before I went all out to spend that kind of money. Here are a pics from concept to actual.
That was a very good idea to generate a computer image before going for the actual trial. It looks great. Hope it is a paint job. Very well done. How is the ride quality? My cousin was not very happy when he traveled in Second row in highway. He reported that he was tossed up quite a few times. It could even be some thing connected with the way it is driven. What is your view? By the way how much did it cost to redo the top in black?
Old 8th November 2016, 18:12   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
That was a very good idea to generate a computer image before going for the actual trial. It looks great. Hope it is a paint job. Very well done. How is the ride quality? My cousin was not very happy when he traveled in Second row in highway. He reported that he was tossed up quite a few times. It could even be some thing connected with the way it is driven. What is your view? By the way how much did it cost to redo the top in black?
Thank you for your comment. Its not paint - its 3M's car wrap thats on the roof and sides. If I remember right, it was around 20K. The ride quality is fine for the price paid for it :-) thats all I can say. You feel a little cheated when you go in for the higher variants I guess. I bought the lowest version, so Im pretty happy with its performance (as of now)
jacob_inasu@gma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks