Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 20:29   #811
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Look for a used Suzuki Swift petrol, preferably the K12 model (not the earlier G13B engine- that one would be too old at this time). You should get one which is about 7-8 years old at around the INR 2 lakh price (maybe slightly higher), especially in north India. A great mix of reliability and performance, and also very easy on the pocket. Typical high revving Japanese engine.
Thanks man, I never thought about it. Now that I see it, it's a really great car. Thanks a lot. You're a lifesaver.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2020 at 21:12. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots. like... this... Thanks!
Old 20th June 2020, 14:46   #812
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaam View Post
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing? I have heard bad things about the non-availability of SGP parts of the old Baleno so I am quite hesitant towards buying it. Can someone help me?
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:18. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 14:25   #813
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Swift is an easy recommendation however the 1.2K series engine might feel a bit lacking in grunt especially at higher altitudes.

My recommendation would be an SX4 petrol. The M series 1.6 petrol has enough oomph, the ride height and suspension is perfect for bad roads, 16 inch alloys on the top-end give you some neat chunky tyre options, and the build quality is better than most Marutis so you need not worry as much about the consequences of wrapping yourself around a tree

Alternatively if maintenance costs are not too much of an issue, look no further than an old 1.6 Fabia (an absolute lost gem) better knee room than the polo both for the driver and rear seat passengers, along with less resale value to the buyer's benefit.
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport? To be honest, the Ecosport is like a bull which gets pneumonia in the winter and can't go up snowy slopes, but I think the SX4 has a better power to weight ratio or is the Swift lighter and better?! This dilemma is giving me a headache. Sorry if I sound too much like newbie , but there aren't too many people to talk about this here. Again thanks!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Please take the time to construct your posts properly.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:05   #814
BANNED

Quote:
I think you are right about that, but do you think it can pull itself better than a Swift on high slopes? I am asking this as it snows here and driving becomes a disaster. My sister still owns a Zen Estilo and it pulls itself better than my dad's Ecosport tdci which is the worst car for Kashmir in my opinion. But I don't know why my dad likes it. Must be something sentimental I guess. So do you think the weight might play a factor here like the Ecosport?
You are absolutely right. Weight does play a huge factor however there isn't much of a difference between the three here. You father's Ecosport probably struggles because of the diesel engine playing foul when it comes to linearly delivering power. The 1.6 M16A motor in the SX4 is a peach and the car does have a bit of rally pedigree behind it so I doubt it should be an issue. I believe it should also be possible to retrofit the AWD system if it can be imported at a later stage.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2020 at 20:16. Reason: Quoted post edited.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:49   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello! What can you suggest as a first car for a student under the 2 lakhs scene? I really want to get started with a good project car in my time. Are there good powerful fun to drive used cars under this price point which wouldn't be that crazy with servicing?
The choice is limited by your risk appetite (or lack of the same). Given your budget, I'd suggest Ford Fiesta, preferably, Fiesta S. It has enough exclusivity, coupled with fun to drive factor. However, you may not find much support for customisation in India, if that is your aim. Global fiesta is another incredible platform, but the petrol engine is the most useless one Ford has launched in India.
You'll get Cedia sports too. Again, the support is limited and you need time and energy to maintain one. Btw, it is one of the most reliable cars you can buy used.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 12:54   #816
BHPian

Should add Low Ground Clearance also to "What you won't like". The one I had would rub itself on every other speed breaker, especially some in parts of Old Gurgaon
bosem123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 03:39   #817

Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Hello Everyone,
Hope you all are safe, healthy and doing well. I have just joined Team-Bhp, and am thrilled to be here. This is my first post. I am an enthusiast, who has been driving for more than 6 years now. I have been tuning and testing ABS in vehicles, as an application engineer for BOSCH for almost a year now.

I have been planning to buy a car for quite a while now. I would really appreciate if you would suggest a few viable options as my first car purchase, and in doing so also answer the questions- Should I buy a pre-owned classic car, or a brand-new budget alternative?

What do I want the car for? Well, for starters, I have always dreamt of owning one. I want to travel to my office at Chakan, Pune, 25km away from my home and back. And a monthly visit to Nashik, my hometown. Also occasionally, I want to wander off in the ghats after a hectic week.

What are my priorities while looking for a car?
1) Safety- Braking performance, other safety features like ABS and so on are very welcome.
2) Performance- Manual transmission, good power & torque, Good Highway manners and handling
3) Pocket-Friendly- Cheaper to run, and one that would require fewer pit-stops, and would not be a trouser-trouble when it comes to spares
4) Classy Looks and Image, perhaps even a bit of history would delight me.
5) Reliability- Well, it should be a given.
6) Comfort

The list can go on....

Being a petrolhead, I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may,
- a 2010 Honda Civic 1.8V, an absolute beauty
- a Ford Fiesta 1.6l, although I think they are very rare nowdays, and would fetch a higher premium
- a Skoda Octavia vRS,

But as I discussed my plan with my parents, it became very clear that they are not open to buying used cars. We have had a couple of bad experiences in the past- One with a two year old Toyota Innova in 2011 and another with a used Toyota Corolla Altis. My parents would have me pay EMIs on a brand new car, than pay much less for a used car and then spend on maintenance. Also, other so-called "Anubhavi People" in my circle say that new cars are a wise option- feature rich and easy to maintain. So, I want to also consider new cars, which are fun to drive, but also fit my budget. I am looking for the cheapest fun to drive car, with my above mentioned priorities fulfilled..

On a side note, I am really rooting for a Honda Civic. I have never driven one, but based on reviews, I think it is the best that I could possibly get based on my priorities. I am only worried about its running and maintenance costs.

I request all to kindly tell me what you think I should buy.
Old 19th October 2020, 07:59   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshV10 View Post
I have been tuning and testing ABS in vehicles, as an application engineer for BOSCH

I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may

But as I discussed my plan with my parents, it became very clear that they are not open to buying used cars.

Also, other so-called "Anubhavi People" in my circle say that new cars are a wise option- feature rich and easy to maintain.
Welcome on board, Harsh !! I wish I could do the tuning and testing work that you're doing.

You should be getting a used 2014-17 Honda City OR Maruti Ciaz. Good engine options plus not very heavy on the pocket to maintain; lot of excellent options in the used car market today.

Please read up the number of issues that have been cropping up in new cars and then decide if you think it is worth it. In my view, a new car today is more risky than a 4-5 year old used car than has done, say, 50k kms.

If you must go new, the Brezza, Urban Cruiser and Ciaz would be my pick for you.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 04:38   #819
BANNED

Here's my recommendations from the used car market:
  1. Kizashi/Laura 1.8 - both leagues above the Civic in terms of stability and driving dynamics. The Laura feels more light on its feet, while the Kizashi feels more grippy and brakes better. Take your pick.
  2. SX4 - gen 1 non variable valve timing 1.6 petrol SX4s are sublime when it comes to cheap no nonsense thrills
  3. Fabia 1.6 - lackluster engine but supreme ride and handling mixed with the perfect power to footprint ratio makes this my all time favorite car to drive in the city

When it comes to new cars the Tiago JTP is all I can think of. Nothing else seems worth the money and taxes you end up paying these days IMO
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:23   #820
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned Classic car or brand new? Suggestions needed for my first car purchase

Quote:

Simply go for POLO GT TSI and have fun for some years before moving on to Sedan/SUV.

The pleasure of driving polo is unmatchable and at your age, it is going to be memorable experience
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:20   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Being a petrolhead, I had originally shortlisted-
- a Type-2 1.5l Honda City- my childhood crush if I may,
- a 2010 Honda Civic 1.8V, an absolute beauty
- a Ford Fiesta 1.6l, although I think they are very rare nowdays, and would fetch a higher premium
- a Skoda Octavia vRS,
Being an owner of a used Fiesta 1.6, I would certainly recommend it, given your requirements. I was in a similar situation a few years back, but I always wanted to buy the Fiesta, so it was more of a heart-over-head decision for me.

You will have to look carefully for a good example in the used car market. More often than not, the 1.6S models would be well maintained since the owner mostly would have been an enthusiast.
Maintenance costs would be slightly higher than a new car definitely, but I guess that is to be expected of any used car which is 5+ years old. You can check for the regular service costs and replacement part costs on the Ford website and then make a decision whether those are okay with you.
Mine is a 2012 SXI variant, which had covered 53k kms when I bought it. Over 3 years of ownership, the only major replacements I had to make were:
  1. Discs, which had scoring marks
  2. Power steering hose - part of a recall, which had not been changed in mine.
  3. Coolant tank and associated pipes - Seems like a recurring issue, maybe due to inferior tank quality. But not a costly affair.
  4. Rear wheel bearings
I'm sorry I don't remember the exact costs for these but I don't remember anything being too heavy on the pocket. If you have a trusted FNG, then these will be even lower.
P.S. There is a blue Fiesta 1.6S on the TBHP classifieds, for sale in Mumbai. Might be worth a look.

You could also go for a new Figo or a sparingly used GT TSI. Both may cost you around the same, although Polo service costs might be higher(not sure).
The old Octavia VRS might be costlier to maintain, and since all of them will be more than 10yrs old, you'll have to budget for a lot of part replacements that inevitably come with age.

Is size a criteria? If not, the Brio is also a fun little pocket rocket to consider, with a peppy, rev-happy iVtec.
Rohan24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:31   #822

Hey man! I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for a cheap fun to drive car. Been on a lookout for more than 3 months. My college is in Pune but I'll be moving to Delhi after getting my degree, so I intend to keep it afterwards as well. I narrowed my search to a few options, let me know if they're any good:
2011-2014 Honda Jazz
Honda City Type 4
2012 Honda Civic
Kushagra_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:44   #823
BHPian

Kushagra_29 I have owned two different models of the Honda City over the last 15 years and they are a great city car. Would be my recommendation over the Civic (low ground clearance is a real problem) or the Jazz (which in my opinion is under powered and not a fun car to drive).
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 14:59   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Kushagra_29 I have owned two different models of the Honda City over the last 15 years and they are a great city car. Would be my recommendation over the Civic (low ground clearance is a real problem) or the Jazz (which in my opinion is under powered and not a fun car to drive).
Thanks for the advice! I recently came across a 2001 City Vtec, which is in Hyd. The owner is asking for 2.25 for the car. Is the price he's demanding reasonable?
Also, any idea about the spare part availability and Service costs of the Type 2 Vtec?
Old 4th April 2021, 22:18   #825

A Wish Come True!

Quote:
On a side note, I am really rooting for a Honda Civic. I have never driven one, but based on reviews, I think it is the best that I could possibly get based on my priorities. I am only worried about its running and maintenance costs.
Update on my Car situation:
Well, it's been more than six months since I asked you guys what car I should get, as my first. Thanks to you all, there were some really intriguing suggestions. But I want to really cut to the chase and say that I have been gifted a white FD2 F/L Honda Civic by My Dad on 26th December! And the best part- I never told my parents I wanted one, nor did I ever test drive it. I had told them about the Type-2 Honda City and Maruti Esteem, and they had initially turned the idea down! And no, my Dad did not read my post here on Team-BHP nor did he ask any of my friends! Like the Universe answering prayers in some Bollywood movie, he answered Mine. And boy am I grateful to him for this, for all that he has done for us and for all he goes through everyday to make our family happy.

Well, here is my situation update before the Civic bomb was dropped in December, and why it was an even more special moment for me:

1) I had decided on buying the Type-2 Honda City. But nowhere could I find a decently maintained example. One that I had my eyes on was sold in no time, for more than what I was willing to pay. Also, the lack of safety equipment was a concern, as I was going to spend a lot of time on highways. And Lets be realistic: owning a Lancer or a Cedia, in this day and age, is a hassle- Lack of spares and dedicated mechanics (atleast in my area). Although The Lancer Owners Club has played a key role in making the spare business much easier, I felt the ownership experience to not be rewarding enough. Plus, parents opposing the idea and no safety equipment!!

2) After posting on Team-BHP, I had a lot of interesting inputs from fellow BHPians. For obvious reasons, I really didn't want a Maruti Suzuki. Thus, Ciaz and Brezza (even though these were the only crash-safe options from MSIL, as per Global NCAP) were ruled out. I felt they are just too vanilla.

2) Polo GT was one more gem that I could not ignore, but was really out of my budget, even the pre-worshipped ones. The cheapest ones that I found were the 2013-14 models, with quoted prices just below the 5 Lakh-mark. I guess I could have brought some of quotes down to 4 Lakh, but then again, there are so many GTs in my circle, that I just couldn't see myself owning another. There is always this one car that is really great. So great in fact, that almost everyone owns one. It was the same with the Maruti Esteem in the early 2000s, the Zen in the 90s, the Swift in the late 2000s- I hope you get what I am saying. And the Polo GT is one such car. Anyways, so GT was out of consideration, and a regular Polo would make me a huge joke. I needed to make a statement- A bold, unique and yet a tastefully chosen beauty, atleast in my circle.

3) I couldn't bring myself to peace with the idea of paying a monthly installment for a brand new car either, when I knew that depreciation was breathing down my neck. Also, I am a hostelite living in Pune on a fresher's pay. And while I was fortunate enough to not experience any paycut, it would be just too much to handle. So, the brand new cars were concluded to be a big no-no in my case.

4) Honda City is a still a great option to have. And I did look for a lot of 2010 examples. A few tasty ones that I really loved, were in the 3-4 lakh bracket. I was about to book one, and then... disaster struck. All of my savings (which were not that much to begin with) had to be spent on coming out of a family emergency. I will not bore you with the details, but I was just glad, that we rose back stronger than we were before. But the inner ten-year old felt disappointed as my dream of owning a car was, in conclusion, put on a strong hold!

7) My Dad had other ideas. While I moved back to Pune, and threw myself at work immediately, he was approached by his friend (Let's call him Mr.Stig ) with an opportunity. Mr.Stig, a pre-owned car dealer, owed my dad some money, and offered to give him a car to call it even. He shared pictures of this white Honda Civic, which had done slightly more than 1lakh kilometres. These were the exact images which he shared with him:
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa00142.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa00102.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa0013.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa0009.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa0007.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img20201222wa0008.jpg
My Dad shared these images to me, asking whether we should test drive it. The car was in Thane. Not knowing about his dues, I agreed, while wondering how I was going to come up with the payment. Now, here is the fun part- On 25th December, Dad called me saying he really wanted to celebrate Christmas with family, and that I should come to Nashik immediately. And how the stars aligned, it was a weekend- My uncle was going to travel to Nashik that very day. I reached Nashik later that night. And there she was, standing just outside our gate - A white Civic!
'Maybe Mr.Stig had left the car for test drive with Dad', I pondered. But then Dad handed me the keys and told me it's mine!! He had bought the car (merely based on pictures and on Mr.Stig's word), and got it delivered that very day, before I got home.

Speechless as I was, I immediately hugged him, and cried for it had been a really overwhelming experience. Needless to say then, 26th December, 2020 was a memorable day!

Emotions all cleared up, let me tell you about the car:-
- 2010 FD2 Facelift Honda Civic 1.8 S, manual transmission; Completed 107000km;
- Scratch laden front bumper, and not so tidy rear;

No matter what the previous owner says, once you purchase a pre-owned car, you should always change all the fluids and belts in the car, is what I learnt as I nerded through Team-BHP, Wheeler Dealers,Fifth Gear, YouTube and whatever I could possibly find. So, we did that first in the nearby Honda Dealership. I think 80% of the problems were solved must have been cleared almost immediately.

1) The Engine and gearbox:
- Butter smooth power delivery, with short & crisp a gearshifts. And boy does that V-Tec further add to the drama. Torque too is decent by modern standards.
- The gearing though, very long, especially for spirited driving, but good for getting higher speeds on freeways.
- I, especially, like the fact that the engine is very tractible at lower speeds- third gear at 20kmph, and the car can still pull easily.
- Now, Civic is a very popular gas-guzzler. But I found that, if we sit on the highway at a constant 80-90kmph in fifth gear, I can manage well-above the company claimed fuel economy figures quite easily. And that works for me, coz now there are surprise speed traps almost anywhere, due to stricter traffic enforcement and I listen to Audiobooks as I cruise through the straights, and only spirit up in the ghats.
- In short, a mechanically fault-free powertrain;

2) Suspension & Chassis:
- The suspension setup felt almost brand-new, with no bumps tall enough to rattle or thud into the cockpit. And I feel this is a praise for an 11-year old car. The ride is as comfortable as it gets, and yet stiff enough to play around on the twistys. Classic Civic trait.
- The body is not very low too. It only seems low. I can manage easily over 99% of Pune's mega Bumps (Those who have been to Pune would relate here) without scraping the belly anywhere.

3) Steering:
- Honda's superb Hydraulic steering system ensures ample heft and feedback through the steering wheel.
- Accuracy is good too.
(I don't understand how the Team-BHP review of the Civic put it in such bad light. But then again, it's only my amateur experience against senior reviewers. Whatever that maybe, I am in love with the package so far.)
- The car is looong, by Indian standards. And maneuvering in the city can be cumbersome, but that is something I have made peace with as well. Afterall, it's a Civic!!

4) Brakes:
- Discs on all 4 corners;
- The brakes are okay. They have good bite, but on my car in particular, there is some serious juddering at triple-digit speeds. On inspection it was revealed that the front right disc is wornout unevenly, causing that judder. So, the discs have to go.

5) Interior:
- The dashboard simply inspires speed and luxury at the same time. The somewhat HUD and the swooping lines just drops jaws every time anyone gets into the car.
- The interior though was masked by a very dense Watermelon flavoured air-freshener. There were no seat covers. On removing that horrible air freshener, we quickly noticed the rotten smell that was coming through the seats and the carpet. Even after having a thorough interior cleanse from professionals, the smell persisted. And now, the seats have been removed and kept in sunlight for nearly two days. Let's see what results from this activity. Some more suggestions are also welcome here.
- No fancy touch screen, no Rear parking sensors and no bluetooth :(The AUX cable comes in handy for listening to Audiobooks and songs)
- The front passenger power window does not wind up correctly, due to old and worn out winder assembly. And a new one will cost me close to 15k. The front passenger window switch at the driver end is also gone, replacing which will set me back 11k. Maybe a month or two more, and I would have enough to sort them out.
- The Auto Climate control works like a joy, just like the rest of the car.

In short, couple of niggles aside, I feel I have been blessed with a genuine bargain. Dad claims he only had to pay 25k extra to his friend for the car. And he owed him about 2lakh rupees.
ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_20210101_0946332.jpg

ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less-img_20210101_094838.jpg

Thankyou for all your suggestions fellow BHPians, and thankyou for patiently reading through my elaborate and lengthy account. I will be posting the financials as well in sometime, as soon as I get all the issues sorted, and in so doing, I hope to answer the question- In 2021, an era when Petrol prices are through the roof, cars are becoming more compact and flimsy, and electric cars slowly creeping in, does owning an FD2 Honda Civic still make sense?

P.S. I am still new to this interface and am learning quoting people and all. I couldn't quote everyone's suggestion here. But I intend on getting there as quickly as possible, one post at a time. Apologies.
HarshV10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks