Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 15:06   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Or how about if I sell off the boring Indigo instead? I don't want to expand my garage to more than 4 cars. Period. Between the Indigo and the Vtec, what would one sell? . Took her out on the open road yesterday, was a delight to high-revv, came back from lunch, parked next to the Indigo and went "hmmmm".
What an idea Sirjeee!. Implement it right away. Get the Vtec off classified and put the indigo for sale instead. Indigo VS OHC vtec: - I believe you know the comparison much better than most of us!
Old 21st December 2009, 15:33   #182
BHPian

Wow.This is an excellent Thread.I still believe that the Lancer's,OHC's and Baleno's were the Best cars (Enthusiast) that came in Indian Market .I was also thinking on selling my lancer some time ago but then no new cars available now impressed me except for the civic (but way out of my budget).So i had to drop the idea and wait for the civic to fall under the 6 lacs bracket (I had made up my Mind that my next car will be a Honda)
Till Then the Mitsubishi rules my Garage !!
Old 21st December 2009, 15:37   #183
BHPian

This is an excellent thread, when i was looking for buying a new car i test drove almost all car in 8-10lakhs range and dropped my idea of selling my car - Ikon 1.6 (i had put that in Classified section as well) as i didnt find a match. Still enjoying the drives with it.

Last edited by mail4loys : 21st December 2009 at 15:38.
Old 21st December 2009, 15:56   #184
BHPian

Nice Thread GTO :

Belive Getz & Accent should also be a part of the list
Old 21st December 2009, 16:37   #185
BHPian

Brilliant thread. have rated it 5 star. In my opinion this thread should be moved to "The collection of the best threads" section of the forum.

I vote for the V6 Accord too, but have heard that a lot of cars have aircon problems and cost quite a bomb to fix. Can anyone confirm?
Old 21st December 2009, 17:58   #186
BHPian

Very interesting thread. The best part is the selection of the photos of each car, mostly matches with the character of the car itself. Look at that mahindra 4X4 and Gypsy photos, those are really nice. I bet that swift's snap is also intentionally a modded one .

Last edited by Ajay_J : 21st December 2009 at 18:00.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:12   #187
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
So, the pricing for a slightly older Accord or a car with more mileage will definitely be below 10L. I am inclined to think the 6-10L range is realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have in mid 2009 come across many Accord V6 in the range of 6-8L for model years 2004-2006 in mumbai. So thats definately doable.
Further to what ACM posted, V6' have very poor fuel efficiency. That's why they go dirt cheap. Prices are on par, or in some cars, even lesser than their 4 cylinder siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
What an idea Sirjeee!.
Still thinking. Mods have given this idea the go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Wow.This is an excellent Thread.I still believe that the Lancer's,OHC's and Baleno's were the Best cars (Enthusiast) that came in Indian Market .
I have just the thread for you : Linky. Happy reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
This is an excellent thread, when i was looking for buying a new car i test drove almost all car in 8-10lakhs range and dropped my idea of selling my car - Ikon 1.6 (i had put that in Classified section as well) as i didnt find a match. Still enjoying the drives with it.
So true. I can't think of any new 10 lakh car that I'd replace my Vtec with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Belive Getz & Accent should also be a part of the list
Both of them are rather uninspiring to drive. That's why they haven't been included. But hey, its just my opinion. Feel free to add it here if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Brilliant thread. have rated it 5 star. In my opinion this thread should be moved to "The collection of the best threads" section of the forum.
Thanks Farhan!

Quote:
I vote for the V6 Accord too, but have heard that a lot of cars have aircon problems and cost quite a bomb to fix. Can anyone confirm?
Not that I heard of. Brake pads + rotors, yes, but not come across frequent complaints on the air-con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Very interesting thread. The best part is the selection of the photos of each car, mostly matches with the character of the car itself.
Full credit for choice of pictures goes to Dippy.

Quote:
Look at that mahindra 4X4 and Gypsy photos, those are really nice. I bet that swift's snap is also intentionally a modded one .
Yup, these pictures have been hand-picked from a fairly large sample.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:54   #188
BHPian

Kudos to GTO.

A really well formatted thread, which was really interesting to read. It took my 2 (work) hours , @ company cost to read it.

Though, GTO, you are giving me nightmares now, since I am going to touch 50k on my vRS in another week I guess..!!
Old 21st December 2009, 19:21   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Between the Indigo and the Vtec, what would one sell?
hmmm, this one's a no-brainer unless you have an extremely compelling reason to keep the Indigo.

I'd retain the vtec till it completely runs into the ground. Well kept, that'd take another 5-10 years.
Old 21st December 2009, 21:20   #190
BHPian

Love my ikon, dont know if any other car drives better than that. A perfect driver's car.

And Lancer is probably is the most mod friendly car in the Indian market.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:14   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I'd retain the vtec till it completely runs into the ground. Well kept, that'd take another 5-10 years.
+2 to that

Any petrol head out there contemplating buying a new car right now should give this thread a read, it really is an eye opener!
Old 22nd December 2009, 03:44   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congrats on a sensible buy! That Accord will serve you well for a long time to come. If you don't mind sharing, and for the benefit of others, how much did you pay for the car?
Not at all. Purchase price was 3.40 lakh (with another 15K spent on sundry minor work). The car is Mumbai registered and M/T (not sure if I mentioned that). I got the car inspected by the Apex and Solitaire service stations separately as well as an independent mechanic. Tyres are almost new; alloys original. I love the somewhat classic look of the 1st gen accord. Very American look although some may find it a little staid.

Like I said, I saw the potential in the car to offer relatively hassle free ownership for about 4 - 5 years and 50,000kms at least. If it does that, I'd consider the investment recovered so not too fussed on subsequent resale value at that point.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd December 2009 at 17:02. Reason: Correcting quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:48   #193
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
Though, GTO, you are giving me nightmares now, since I am going to touch 50k on my vRS in another week I guess..!!
Well, its niggles here and there. Look up existing RS ownership reviews and you should be well prepared. Small price to pay for the driving pleasure, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
hmmm, this one's a no-brainer unless you have an extremely compelling reason to keep the Indigo.
Well, the heart seems to erase all the compelling reasons that the brain churns out. Lets see how things pan out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
And Lancer is probably is the most mod friendly car in the Indian market.
So true. The Lancer is still a great looking C segment sedan, perfectly proportioned lines. Great mod support for both, the exterior as well as under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Not at all. Purchase price was 3.40 lakh (with another 15K spent on sundry minor work). The car is Mumbai registered and M/T (not sure if I mentioned that). I got the car inspected by the Apex and Solitaire service stations separately as well as an independent mechanic. Tyres are almost new; alloys original. I love the somewhat classic look of the 1st gen accord. Very American look although some may find it a little staid.

Like I said, I saw the potential in the car to offer relatively hassle free ownership for about 4 - 5 years and 50,000kms at least. If it does that, I'd consider the investment recovered so not too fussed on subsequent resale value at that point.
Well, congratulations to you on a superb buy! Can't get anymore of a reliable, all-rounded, D segment sedan for the price.
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:19   #194
BHPian

excellent thread

with 6lac in pocket and accord in mind, this thread provides some very good alternatives.
many thanks to GTO..

btw, i could not find even a single accord even close to 6 lacs price bracket since 2 months now.

search is still on..
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:31   #195
~~h
BHPian

Gaurav: I could see a few in carwale in the price vicinity.. do checkout

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks