Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 17:42   #766
BHPian

Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List at Dealership

Hello folks

I am planning to take delivery of my WagonR ZXI+ in 2-3 days from Varun Motors Kukatpally, Hyderabad.

I told the sales guy I would like to do the PDI in the stockyard (Balanagar - for Hyd folks) but he was discouraging me saying it will be too cumbersome. He said he would bring the car to the dealership where I can do the PDI.

He agreed that if I notice any issues I am free to reject the delivery.

My question is: Is there a red flag in the sales person insisting on a "in dealership" PDI instead of at the stockyard?

Last edited by ksakotai : 26th June 2023 at 17:50.
Old 27th June 2023, 08:57   #767
BHPian

Re: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List at Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post

My question is: Is there a red flag in the sales person insisting on a "in dealership" PDI instead of at the stockyard?
It’s a good thing I feel.
They will likely wash the exterior to a more presentable form as compared to all dirtier version that stockyards would have. Easier to do PDI.

A downside that I can remember from my time is when you are actually looking for a particular colour/trim or some other specifics, and for whatever reason the dealer doesn’t want you to see other cars and figure out that he lied. I doubt that would be a case here.

Last edited by rjainv : 27th June 2023 at 08:59.
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 18:33   #768
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargee View Post
Thanks to the moderators and it indeed feels special to be a member of this elite group.

Here is an updated PDI checklist. It may not be possible to do all these checks while the car is in the yard. However, it will be safe to complete these checks at least within a day after taking delivery of the car.
Thanks for this list. Would it be possible to do the test drive as mentioned here before full payment and they send car for registration?
Old 8th July 2023, 19:13   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarprabhatn View Post
Thanks for this list. Would it be possible to do the test drive as mentioned here before full payment and they send car for registration?
Yes, if you insist. However, we had made the full payment. It is better to check the car before it is sent to registration, as rejecting the car if there are any problems will be difficult/impossible after registration.
Old 9th July 2023, 09:17   #770
BHPian

Quote:
You have full rights to do a complete/thorough PDI before making any payment other than booking amount. I believe same applies for Test drive, it may not be long but less than a KM drive on road will help you tick some of the boxes in PDI checklist (like engine sound, accelerator, etc). You have full right to reject a car if you find a genuine issue even after making full payment, but before registration
Old 10th July 2023, 10:00   #771
BANNED

Quote:
Ideally they wont mind starting up and rolling few meters as part of PDI, while the payment has not been made in full. Some dealers may have some reservations on test drive, if the payment is not made considering chance of that particular car being rejected. You can persuade your SA and keep the test drive logical so that in case you reject the car for whatsoever reason, the odometer / interior should not shout "USED" for the next customer.

In case, full payment is made, practically it is your car. The dealership should have no objection on your test drive as long as it is under legal scope of motor vehicle act (Car is not registered and has no insurance).

Hope it clarifies.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:08   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
In case, full payment is made, practically it is your car. The dealership should have no objection on your test drive as long as it is under legal scope of motor vehicle act (Car is not registered and has no insurance).

Hope it clarifies.
The thing is, once you've made the payment, you've lost the leverage and it boils down to trust. If you've found any fault during PDI, a severe one at that, ideally the dealer should replace it. But the dealer will choose to get it repaired and give it you. You may refuse to accept the car but you've already done the full payment. This can lead to an impasse that can drag on.

Last edited by kumarprabhatn : 10th July 2023 at 10:09.
Old 10th July 2023, 10:36   #773
BANNED

Quote:
The thing is, once you've made the payment, you've lost the leverage and it boils down to trust. If you've found any fault during PDI, a severe one at that, ideally the dealer should replace it. But the dealer will choose to get it repaired and give it you. You may refuse to accept the car but you've already done the full payment. This can lead to an impasse that can drag on.
Agreed and Agreed. I just put it in both prospective. I practice not paying a penny over booking amount till PDI for my cars.

What I wanted to say here, test drive a yard car falls under grey area of ethics of both dealer and us customers.

Firstly, the car has not registered and insured, which make it illegal to be on public road. Legally, we can only drive it within the yard.

Secondly, there is a possibility of the car getting damaged (other cars in yard also in process) during the customer test drive and the responsibility falls totally on the dealer. As we have seen many instances in this forum, no one prefers to pick a damage repaired car from yard (rightly so). Most of cases, such instances would put the car as a write off on dealer. This would definitely make them over anxious.

Thirdly, do we prefer some unknown person drove our new to be car for 10s of KMs and kind of abused it (break test etc) in the yard? If the answer is no, that is generic.
Considering all these, I personally don't test drive a yard car as I believe unless I drive that car for 10s of KM, obvious issues would not pop up. Break test / gear slotting / other electronics issues can be check with just starting the car in the yard itself and rolling few meters..

An anecdote here, I recently picked up a Tata Punch and dealership was more than accommodating in the PDI process. But, still I had the issue in the new car, where the theft alarm censer was loose and the car alarm used to go on intermittently. The dealership fixed it free of cost after delivery. But, my point is, if I had to find out that issue in yard itself, I had to spent an entire day in the yard, irrespective of how long I would have test drove the car.

All I am saying is, be vigilant and do intense PDI along with being logical and practical to other aspect too. This goes long way in forming the dealer - customer relationship.

This is purely my opinion, to each of their own.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 15:18   #774

Hi all,

I went for PDI of Kiger today. Thorough checklist helped, so thanks to this forum!

They didn't let me drive the car but I could carry out most of the other checks.

Some of the things I couldn't find / check were when are the tires manufactured as they were covered with little bit of mud due to this being rainy season, and couldn't check if the A/c air was coming through the rear vents and the various modes i.e. sports, eco etc.

Almost everything looked good. Odo reading was just 6 kms.

However, found a couple of scratches and wasn't sure if I should go ahead with this car or not. One of the scratches was visible on the car once the door was opened - inside the door, so I can ignore that. To be honest, I couldn't find it next time I tried to look for it.

But the more prominent one was outside the driver door. SA told me that they will take care of it.
ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-inkedscratch-driver-door.jpg

Also, it's June manufactured vehicle.

So should I try to get more discount or just ignore the scratch and go ahead with purchase.

The VIN is MEEHBC008P6100806. As far as I could interpret it, it's manufactured in June 2023. Hope i.e. right?

Regards
Car_noob

Last edited by Car_noob : 21st July 2023 at 15:26.
Car_noob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 15:35   #775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_noob View Post
Hi all,
The scratch looks minor and may vanish with a little bit of polishing. The dealer can take care of that for sure.

June 2023 manufactured vehicle is very reasonable and do not think the dealer will give any discount for that.

Good luck with your purchase and wishing many happy miles in your new Kiger.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st July 2023 at 15:39. Reason: quote content trimmed
Gargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 07:04   #776

Hi BHPians,.

Today, I am going to do an inspection of my car VW Virtus, and compiled PDI Checklist. Attaching it here for everyone. Suggestions are welcome
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pre Delivery Inspection.pdf (58.1 KB, 748 views)
prashantsoni23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 21:24   #777

Saw one post re. Innova Hycross including PDI. It talked about checking compliance to E20 fuel.
Do we have latest version of PDI checklist mentioning this point?
Please post link here if there is one updated. I believe I referred to version 2.3 but don't think it had this point related to E20 compliance.

Regards
Car_noob
Old 26th July 2023, 22:30   #778
BHPian

Noob question.
What def level is expected during delivery of new vehicle?
I saw a 50% level in my pdi of my safari today. Is that okay or it should be full at delivery?
Apologies for ignorance.
Old 27th July 2023, 14:40   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Noob question.
What def level is expected during delivery of new vehicle?
I saw a 50% level in my pdi of my safari today. Is that okay or it should be full at delivery?
Apologies for ignorance.
Am sure many have taken diesel vehicle deliveries , can someone tell please?

Thanks!
Old 28th July 2023, 12:33   #780
BHPian

My SA is insisting for invoicing, insurance, loan processing, by this month end. He is fine with doing registration when we want i.e. next month mid. My concern is a lot can happen during this time and not sure if dealership will honor PDI or any concerns out of it, before registration mid next month, once payment is done already. What do you recommend? Do I insist on invoicing on next month itself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks