Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 20:04   #226
BHPian

Thank you all

finally got the deal settled. here is what i got

20k price reduced as per new safari
accessories: mud flaps, anti rust [told him no teflon] , reverse camera fitted alongwith sensors retained, mats.
discount on insurance [upto 6k]
extended warranty free
cash disc of 15k [now i had to pay some 12k as settlement for my thane registration [rto + agent] that they adjusted in this plus balance 3k
they were giving mne sunfilm [garware], i told them to give me vkool and adjust the amount there

he promised me to sms the VIN number as soon as he gets teh allotment of my car by onday and also told e that he would inform me once the car reaches the vasai stockyard for PDI

i have one final question. I have thane registration but iu would be taking my delivery from MUmbai [kandivali]. so how would the car be transported there and plus what happens if someone damages my car from thane to kandivali

thank you all for the su[pport which helped me get a good deal
Old 15th August 2010, 23:21   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

rahulraa, disappointing thought it is, isn't the gut feeling to say no to that car?

Sticky dashboard that can't be cleaned? Where did they make that up, for goodness sake? Could it be a bad batch of plastic that is breaking down already? If it is a "known problem" then it still sounds like a problem you do not want.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:43   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraa View Post
Hello Everyone,
I am awaiting delivery of a Tata Indigo XL Grand version from Shaman Motors via their Arya Honda oulet at Sewri I am aware that Shaman has shut down their TATA dealership but this car was a part of their stock and now they have decided to sell it at the price I was bargaining for, I had gone for the pre delivery inspection to their workshop and found that :

1) The dashboard is extremly sticky and te condition is only seem to be worsening from the time I had fist seen the car, the guys at Shaman say that they have treid their best and its a known problem with the TATA cars and cant do anything more besides trying to clean it once again.

2) The car is missing its XL size floor mats whihc I have been asked to procure on my own and due to this the carpet flooring has become dirty and when I pointed that out to the guys at Shaman they said that they cannot clean it and that they have only vaccuumed it, I asked them that I believe that the carpest which are fixed on the floor can be cleant with some kind of a foam or upholestry cleaner to get them clean and a wet vaccuum can be used after that, but again was informed very curtly that if we wet the floor carpets then your car will start stinking if its fine with you sir then we will do it.

3) The clutch when pressed and released feels a bit rough and makes little creaky swoosh noises.

There are other issues as well but these ones are the ones which I need help for at the moment. Requesting if some one could help me with the same and advice me accordingly.

Thanks and kind regards,
Hi Rahulraa,

With my limited knowledge what I understood from your post, please do not accept this car. Nobody is doing a favor here, you are paying quite a large amount of money for a brand new product and you should get a brand new product.
Just imagine, if this is what you get as an explanation for a new car what might happen if there are any issues post delivery.
Old 16th August 2010, 00:04   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) The dashboard is extremly sticky and te condition is only seem to be worsening from the time I had fist seen the car, the guys at Shaman say that they have treid their best and its a known problem with the TATA cars and cant do anything more besides trying to clean it once again.
To be fair, this is definitely a known issue with Indigos, but not *brand new* ones. We have a 4+-year old Indigo that is now exhibiting this problem (actually has been for a little over a year now) and we take adequate care to ensure it's not parked in the sun for longer than it should be.

All in all, it looks like there are too many issues with this particular piece you've been showed. Please avoid taking delivery of this particular car. The XL is a great car to have otherwise. So ask for another piece and be very firm about it.

Hopefully it will work out for you. Else just walk away with your money and approach another dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you all

finally got the deal settled. here is what i got
Hearty congratulations, lodhra!

12k for the RTO + agent stuff?! My word, that's steep (unless I've totally missed the picture).

It shouldn't matter where the dealer is. In my case, the showroom falls under AP-09 zone (Hyderabad Central) whereas my residence falls under the AP-28 zone (Rangareddy district, a neighbouring district to Hyderabad -- very similar to your case). I don't see why it should be any different in Mumbai. As for transporting the car, won't you just drive down to Thane after taking delivery in Mumbai?

Anyway, I wish you "loads" (pun intended ) of miles and happiness with the king of the roads!

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 16th August 2010 at 00:12.
Old 16th August 2010, 01:57   #230

Thanks Guys @ Avon, Thad & Spadix,

Was anxiously awaiting responses,

As things stand of now, the car is from their stock when they had shut their TATA dealership, I have asked for a discount on the already discussed price with them and now getting the car for lesser than the On road price of the same variant a the car is 2 years old but I shall be the first owner. Thanks to their CEO whom I met and explained my grievances and helped me get a further price cut, I know some of you might hate me for it but the thing being I chose the XL only for its leg room for my Grandmom and my parents, and am getting a discount of nearly close to a lakh and would not want to miss on the oppourtunity of buying the XL and hence would be needing your help and guidance in overcoming these minor problems, test drove the car feels better but still am not happy with the positioning of the clutch on the XL too high, have already ordered for a set of orignl TATA mats from an authorised dealer which he said will cost me around 1200 to 1500 Rupees, would like to sort out the dash board issue by wanting to get a leather covered dash board ( a good and a genuine job ), would request if anyone could guide me where and how to go about it, have also been informed that the company used to provide an old Nokia handset for the bluetooth ( this being the old types ) which they are unable to find, have informed them I would not mind not havint the blue tooth connectivity, mic cradle et al if they would further deduct the price of the whole bluetooth assembly from the price we last came too, checked with Fortune motors and was informed that the bluetooth assemble orignal Nokia is appox. for 7000 Rupees, hence was thinking would get rid of this old one and later install a full music system with integrated bluetooth and USB connectivity, the car as such is in good shape, the have finished the detailing on the inside, put new wiper blades, installed the orignal Nippon company provided DVD palyer, the airconditioning ( front and rear ) cools well, the tyres are in very good shape, and so is the spare in the boot an alloy and never used, the engine bay has been cleant well with an oil and filter change, would please request if someone could help me with the dashboard in leather and anything else that I may have forgotten or you would recommend to check before taking delivery, thanks once again.

P.S. : Also forgot to mention have made them agree to bear the cost of registration, octroi and insurance pls let me know if the deal feels fine now or shall have another round of discussions with them reg. the same.

kind regards,
Rahulraa
Old 16th August 2010, 12:06   #231
BHPian

@spadix

yes the rto stuff works like that here if the papers are not complete. In my case i would be getting possesion of my new house in 2 months so right now no electricity bill. though they can consider my request who lets the opportunity to earn a buck

a guy at another dealership had quoted 17k. they say 5k is official rto settlement plus some 3k of chai pani and rest they take it

anyways i see that my 60k is gettin saved. in mumbai and thane there is a price diff oif almost 60-70k

thank price on road is 10.80 while mumbai comes to 11.60

thank you so much
Old 16th August 2010, 12:35   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
same variant a the car is 2 years old but I shall be the first owner. Thanks to
And the car has just been lying unused for 2 years in their stockyard?

On some level I still don't feel it's worth it. You could probably get a very well-maintained XL used, for much less. At least you'll get a car that has been regularly used.

But if the deal still makes sense to you, I suggest you ensure you're getting full warranty cover as you would on a *new* new car. Let them not come back later and say there's no warranty because it's already been 2+ years since it was manufactured.

The sticky dash should be the least of your concerns. I'm sure you'll find some good interior detailing shop that's well-respected and does a thorough, professional job.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th August 2010, 11:09   #233
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the car is 2 years old but I shall be the first owner.
So effectively, you are buying a 2 year old car? Doesn't matter whether you are the 1st owner or 2nd. The car has either:

a) Been standing still for 2 years

b) Been used as a test-drive vehicle by the showroom

Either is bad news & I do not recommend a purchase. Look up this thread for more information.
Old 17th August 2010, 19:07   #234
BHPian

Hello

finally got my chasis no and engine no smsed to me. the car i am gettin is july 2010 make [tata sfari gx 4x2 bs4] is that good enough or should i insist on august make

secondly the dealer has promised me delivery next week, i told him saturday.

now should i go and do a pdi or leave it to him since i have confirmed the chasis no and all

advice required
Old 17th August 2010, 20:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
finally got my chasis no and engine no smsed to me. the car i am gettin is july 2010 make [tata sfari gx 4x2 bs4] is that good enough or should i insist on august make
These are the questions that need answering -
  1. Is there any difference in features and/or price/discounts between the July and August models?
  2. There may be a marginal difference in resale value because of the one month difference. Are you OK with that?
  3. Do you really care, if the answer to 1 is yes and 2 is no? (Consider that this vehicle may have been sitting idle in a yard for up to one and a half months.)
I personally would insist on an August make car.

Quote:
now should i go and do a pdi or leave it to him since i have confirmed the chasis no and all
Chassis # verification is just one part of the entire PDI. I will strongly suggest you go check the car out yourself before signing on any registration-related papers. This is particularly important with Tata vehicles as their quality control (both factory and workshop) isn't the best out there, in general. Make the effort and it'll be worth your time.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th August 2010, 20:40   #236
BHPian

@lodhra - as mentioned by spadix, check the car even though you have the chassis no. A July manufactured car also can be used for 100s of Kms before delivering to you, so only when you are satisfied then only sign Form-20.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:24   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...finally got my chasis no and engine no smsed to me. the car i am gettin is july 2010 make [tata sfari gx 4x2 bs4] is that good enough or should i insist on august make...
Have a look at the vehicle at the yard. If your PDI is fine, go ahead with it.

Does not make too much sense, IMO, to wait for August made vehicle, which, for all you know, you might get in September!
Old 18th August 2010, 18:56   #238
BHPian

Thanks guys ESP spadix

Yes I asked abt aug manufactured and was told I might get it in September and also may not get my color as since mineral red which I want was in production in July and aug will have some other color

It's raining here quite hopefully will go to bhiwandi to do a pdi

One more thing what happens if this guys damage car in transit

I have requested a pdi at showroom as soon as the car arrives
Can I reject the car then or I may have to settle for it

Also form20 has Been signed with loan papers so there is little I can do apart from req the loan guy not to hand papers till I do the pdi

But I want to know my options if car gets damaged in transit

Thanks to all for their time
Old 18th August 2010, 20:40   #239
BHPian

Quote:
I have requested a pdi at showroom as soon as the car arrives

Also form20 has Been signed with loan papers so there is little I can do apart from req the loan guy not to hand papers till I do the pdi

But I want to know my options if car gets damaged in transit
IMO there is nothing wrong in doing PDI at showroom. You may wish to check with the loan executive not to handle the form20 to the dealership.
And finally don`t worry about car getting damaged in transit, think +ve and all the best for your new car
Old 18th August 2010, 23:13   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I asked abt aug manufactured and was told I might get it in September and also may not get my color as since mineral red which I want was in production in July and aug will have some other color
Then just settle for the July make. Shouldn't make too much difference as long as the PDI results look good.

Quote:
One more thing what happens if this guys damage car in transit
Don't worry about it. Unless something like this happens, you'll be fine.

Quote:

As far as I know Form 20 contains the chassis # etc. and *if* the road tax has been paid and temporary (or permanent) registration obtained already, you can't do anything. So instruct dealer + bank to NOT submit the Form 20 until you've inspected the car. Signing on a Form 20 is OK in itself, so long as the signed document doesn't reach the RTO or in general hasn't been *processed* further after you signed on it.

Don't worry about in-transit damage to the car. Cars are secured tightly and all you'll get is some dust and maybe some water (not likely). If anything dramatic (like in that thread) happens, Tata should claim insurance and therefore can't even sell the car.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks