Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:12   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Truebil what would this site and app mean to the used car market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A lot of car portals seem to be doing this - cartrade has been doing it for years in the US and now in India as well. So - more portals doing that is always a good thing.

The curation needs to stay at a high standard if we have to believe the portal more than we usually believe a random used car dealership salesman though.

At least, the critieria these are rated on are out there for everyone to see and they can compare the car based on those criteria.

The key differentiator will be if they are able to look for signs of tampering (eg: odo being monkeyed with to show lower mileage, decals and badges of higher version stuck onto lower end cars) and weed those out of their listings.

Dont trust these portals , in India, not even as far as olympians could throw them. Their checks are pathetically cursory, and the warranties will have your head explode if you came to collect.
Apart from the odo tampering and dressing up of bad cars, there is no integrity in stock either.
Eg: My tucson, it was shown to me by a dealer, then by another dealer, and then by Cartrade guy.

Be extremely vigilant. If there is ANYTHING wrong with the car that bugs you, could be just a dirty roof liner, drop it. There is always another vehicle available. DOnt just settle. And if you do, settle based on your own understanding, and not on these guys' "it's ok, sir", or "we'll fix it before delivery.".
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 19:21   #527
BHPian

Re: Truebil what would this site and app mean to the used car market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
DOnt just settle. And if you do, settle based on your own understanding, and not on these guys' "it's ok, sir", or "we'll fix it before delivery.".
-- This is exactly what needs to be sorted out in these kind of apps or websites, else they are just another in the herd. The trust in their inspection needs to be developed,.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:29   #528
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Dear All,

The dilemma is as follows:

Due to my recent reallocation to Mumbai, I am on the lookout for a pre-owned automatic car in the range of 5-6 Lakhs. Although at first I was open to all suggestions, soon the cars got shortlisted. It was to be either of the following:

1. Volkswagen Vento
2. Honda City
3. Honda Civic

Out of the above, the Vento has a soft-corner. We have one in the family and it has been fairly reliable. Also the City for some reason does not feel exciting enough and the Civic has now started showing it's age.

Till now I have come across 3 Vento Automatics which seem to be desirable. They are as follows:

1. November 2011 model white color with 33,000 Km's on the odometer and asking price of Rs.5.75 Lakhs. This car is being sold by the authorized used car outlet of VW. Which means that it has gone through some 160 checks and VW will offer a one year(paid) warranty on the engine and the gearbox. This is a very tempting option specially considering the VW warranty. After hard negotiations, the dealer has come down to 5.25 Lakhs. However the car is not Mumbai Registered and hence the transfer charges along with the octroi would have to be borne by me. Hence the final price along with warranty and the transfer would go up to roughly Rs. 5.5 Lakhs.

2. 2012 model white color with 35,000 Km's on the odometer and asking price of Rs.5.85 Lakhs. This one is well maintained and Mumbai registered. Upon hard negotiations the price will come down to somewhere around 5.20 Lakhs. This model of the Vento came with an upgraded Head Unit and Steering mounted controls. I'm not sure whether any other upgrades were done to this model.

3. 2011 model blue color with 25,000 Km's on the odometer and asking price of Rs.5.50 Lakhs. This one is also decently maintained and has a couple of add-ons such as a reversing camera, paring sensors and a touch screen head unit. Upon negotiations, the price will come down to somewhere around 5 Lakhs.

The first one seems to be a good option considering that it comes with a one year warranty from VW. But then again the second option is a newer car with certain upgrades and would cost approximately 30K less. However the third option is the least run and would also be the cheapest. As you can see, I am thoroughly confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Enigmatic.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 5th August 2015 at 17:32.
Old 5th August 2015, 18:37   #529
Senior - BHPian

Do you plan to keep the car for say 5 years, or do you plan to resell it later?

If you plan to keep the car then 2011 / 25k km / 5 lakhs sounds like a great deal. It is a very lightly used car and assuming a known mechanic looks the car over and oks it, buy it without a second thought.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:04   #530
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Need quick advise on buying Skoda Superb 2010 AT Petrol model with 60000 km done for 7lacs. Do you think its worth looking into?
Old 11th August 2015, 10:22   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Snake View Post
Hey Guys,

Need quick advise on buying Skoda Superb 2010 AT Petrol model with 60000 km done for 7lacs. Do you think its worth looking into?
Both carwale and cardekho user car valuation seem to think this is the right price-range for this car from 2010. I used June as the month of manufacture since you did not mention it and also the City of registration as Gurgaon.

Make sure that the service history is intact and you can always get a third party valuation, check absure or private garage owners that are open to doing it.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:22   #532
BHPian

Hi,
I am buying a used car from an individual. He is not able to provide me the original tax paid receipt. He has a xerox copy though. The reason given is that being a business man the original owner before him submitted it for audit. The RC mentions that LTT paid. Does anyone foresee any problem with this? Appreciate your advice. Thanks!
Old 24th August 2015, 22:19   #533
BHPian

I own a late 2011 Hyundai i10 kappa2 - bought in March 2012. Till now it has run 30K kms. I was looking for a car which is much safer (since me and my wife are expecting) and fun to drive - the i10 is a bit scary on the highways due to it's bumpy suspension.

My total budget would be 2.5L above what I get for my i10. What would be an ideal used car for me?

Personally I am inclined towards a low run Fiesta classic 1.6 or Fiat Linea P / D.

Your thoughts guys?
Old 24th August 2015, 22:41   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I own a late 2011 Hyundai i10 kappa2 - bought in March 2012. Till now it has run 30K kms. I was looking for a car which is much safer (since me and my wife are expecting) and fun to drive - the i10 is a bit scary on the highways due to it's bumpy suspension.

My total budget would be 2.5L above what I get for my i10. What would be an ideal used car for me?

Personally I am inclined towards a low run Fiesta classic 1.6 or Fiat Linea P / D.

Your thoughts guys?
Assuming that your current car is a used car (i.e. you are the second owner), I think the price you should get for it would be upwards of 3 Lacs. Add to that the 2.5 Lac you want to put in and you have a decent budget of 5.5 Lac for a safe hatchback/sedan which performs well on the highways.

I would say keep the 50k aside for some repairs that might crop up and look for a used car under 4.5 to 5 Lac Max. You can get an i20, Polo, Swift (Top end variants) in Petrol easily. For petrol sedans, Linea and City will fit the bill very well. If your running isn't much, don't go for a diesel as diesel cars command a premium even in the used market and are usually higher run than petrol ones.

My personal choice would be a Honda City S/V MT, not more than 40k kms run and not more than 3 year old.
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 07:42   #535
Senior - BHPian

Given your safety and drive requirements - and as you say you want the highway - diesel seems required rather than petrol. Else a polo petrol would be a decent idea. Your idea of buying a low run ford classic seems quite good. Or even a new one - Ford has dropped the prices on their classic substantially to clear inventory for the new sedan they're introducing.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 14:18   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post

I would say keep the 50k aside for some repairs that might crop up and look for a used car under 4.5 to 5 Lac Max. You can get an i20, Polo, Swift (Top end variants) in Petrol easily. For petrol sedans, Linea and City will fit the bill very well. If your running isn't much, don't go for a diesel as diesel cars command a premium even in the used market and are usually higher run than petrol ones.

My personal choice would be a Honda City S/V MT, not more than 40k kms run and not more than 3 year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Given your safety and drive requirements - and as you say you want the highway - diesel seems required rather than petrol. Else a polo petrol would be a decent idea. Your idea of buying a low run ford classic seems quite good. Or even a new one - Ford has dropped the prices on their classic substantially to clear inventory for the new sedan they're introducing.

Thanks for the inputs. I will look into Honda city as well as the classic. I am also inclined more towards petrol engines. Which is the cheapest car to maintain if I intend to keep the car for more than 5 years with a yearly running of 9000 KMs?
Old 28th August 2015, 10:07   #537
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2015 at 11:22.
hserus is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th August 2015, 16:24   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks for the inputs. I will look into Honda city as well as the classic. I am also inclined more towards petrol engines. Which is the cheapest car to maintain if I intend to keep the car for more than 5 years with a yearly running of 9000 KMs?
Planning to keep it for 5 more years, are you? Then try to pick a new car, maybe from a segment below. Try the Dzire Zxi (if you can increase your budget) or else try a used City 1.5, Dzire Zxi or Verna (not as FTD). Maintainence wise, I think most used cars from reputable brands (Honda, Hyundai or Maruti) will be reasonably good. Avoid discontinued cars as maintainence might be a problem (sourcing spares might take time even with ASS).

Used cars are all about searching in the market. You shouldn't particularly have fixed requirements when buying used. Condition and availability of a used car matters more. Your ultimate choice would depend on the car you are getting. I mean, a Dzire in immaculate condition would be the one instead of an average City. Therefore, narrow down your options and explore the markets for your choices. Just my 2 cents.
Old 28th August 2015, 21:50   #539

Hello All,
Been reading/browsing the forums on team-bhp for many days now. I must say, there is a wealth of information out here. I am planning to buy my first car. Still not decided if I would go for a new one or used one. Reading all the forums to enable me to make a good decision. But there is one question that I have on my mind..

Does it makes sense to buy a used car for which manufacturing has been discontinued or a completely new version out there? I am a big fan of Santro and Figo (soon to be replaced by new Figo). Love both these cars. Have driven them. Lot of good deals on Santro available too in used-car market. But would it make sense to buy these cars ?

I plan to drive mostly in the city. Need a hassle free car. With some decent storage space/area at the back.
Old 31st August 2015, 23:21   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhpatil View Post
Hello All,
Been reading/browsing the forums on team-bhp for many days now. I must say, there is a wealth of information out here. I am planning to buy my first car. Still not decided if I would go for a new one or used one. Reading all the forums to enable me to make a good decision. But there is one question that I have on my mind..

Does it makes sense to buy a used car for which manufacturing has been discontinued or a completely new version out there? I am a big fan of Santro and Figo (soon to be replaced by new Figo). Love both these cars. Have driven them. Lot of good deals on Santro available too in used-car market. But would it make sense to buy these cars ?

I plan to drive mostly in the city. Need a hassle free car. With some decent storage space/area at the back.
It is perfectly fine to buy a discontinued model, if you get hold of a good condition car. Spare part availability is not an issue for at least 5 years for discontinued cars. Santro is one good car, that has mechanical support at almost every FNG and would serve you well within the city.

Figo would also be apt but i10 (1.2 Kappa old one) and Dzire (again, old one) would be better choices, at more or less the same price.

I would suggest the Ritz Petrol. It is VFM, Good in the city and highways alike, decent boot space and backed by Maruti network.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks