Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 13:23   #286

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

Hey guys,

Almost locked-in on a new car (BMW 3 series) and now pondering over the Extended Warranty. While there's no question of whether or not to purchase it (getting it for sure!), just confused on whether to buy it from the official BMW Dealership or a third party?

BMW is offering the 2+3 years Extended Warranty @ approx INR 1.60L. Where as I'm getting the same through a third party Extended Warranty Company (Edel Assurance) at around 1.30L. The latter claim to be offering the exact same coverages as BMW themselves, with the costs of any claims/repair that may arise to be sorted through an authorised BMW Dealer Workshop itself (such as Navnit/Infinity/Bavaria etc).

With a saving of 30k upfront (and potentially some more with a bit of haggle), for an apple-to-apple policy & considering any potential work on the car would be dealt via an authorised workshop - is it wise to purchase this from a third party rather than the manufacturer itself?

While in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge difference but every drop counts! Any inputs here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!
GRP92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 14:29   #287
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Just came across a new offering from MSIL, which they have introduced recently ‘Customer Convenience Package (CCP)’ for its customers. The package covers unwarranted and unforeseen failures faced by the vehicle engine due to hydrostatic lock or fuel adulteration (exact words of MSIL).

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot-20220325-2.24.51-pm.png
Package details can be looked further here.

Is this a good warranty/insurance to add on or take individually considering a lot of issues have been reported recently due to water entering the engine or/and due to improper fuel quality ? Adding to this if we don't take the package is anyone aware how much does it cost for the repairs or any method/practice to avoid the same ?

Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 15:45   #288
BANNED

I have been satisfied with the extended warranty on my VW’s. The Hyundai got a transmission Mount changed for free. The Toyotas & Marutis we owned never needed anything changed lol. I will still buy the warranty, makes some heavy expenditures free.
The VW has got
Steering rack
Multi clutch
Flywheel
Mechatronic
Ignition transformer
Water pump
AC Flap Motor
Fuel lid actuator
All under warranty/extended warranty
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:25   #289
BHPian

Had bought a Mahindra XUV 5OO last year. Since the 1 year service was coming up, thought of buying the extended warranty for 4th and 5th year. It was INR 26K. However, last night the servers were down and today morning when I checked, it said it is INR 40K now. Increased by 50%.

When I checked with service center, they confirmed that the server was down since they were changing the price.

Can any esteemed member suggest if the XUV warrants an extended warranty or will insurance along with add-ons such as engine secure suffice? Thanks.

Mine is a W11 (O) AT model.

Last edited by brownkaiser : 25th July 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Added model detail.
Old 27th July 2022, 17:36   #290
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,
I am a newbie to driving and I had bought a 23000km run 2017 Honda Jazz VX MT Petrol in June 2022 in Cars24. It is out of warranty but in good condition.

Considerations:
1. Cars24 offers 6 months powertrain warranty on Engine+ gearbox and 1 year warranty on other parts.

2. Honda offers extended warranty for 5th year at Rs.9500.

3. My annual drive is going to be 5000kms.

4. Honda service interval is 6 months/10000kms for 2017 Jazz. For my low mileage, I would prefer to do once a year service.

5. Need to do service as per owner's manual (every 6 months/10000kms) to avail extended warranty claims.

6. Extended warranty for 5th year= Rs.9500
One service= Rs.7000

Here are the choices:
1. Buy Honda 5th year Extended warranty:
Extended warranty+ 2 services a year= Rs.9500+7000+7000= Rs.23500 a year.

2. Do not buy extended warranty:
Just 1 service a year= Rs.7000 a year.

Is it recommended for me to buy a Honda Extended warranty or not? Thanks in advance.
Old 28th July 2022, 13:00   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

Is it recommended for me to buy a Honda Extended warranty or not? Thanks in advance.
I am no expert in this but if I were in your shoes, I would skip the extended warranty this time since you anyway have coverage from the dealer. Also for a 5-year-old Honda, the increase in cost is unjustified with respect to the risk. I would rather get bumper-to-bumper, zero dep insurance if it is still available since you are a new driver.
Old 4th October 2022, 10:18   #292

Dear fellow BHPians,

I am a Newbie to this forum. I need your help on the cancellation procedure of the Extended Warranty. Due to some situations, I am selling my three months old Innova Crysta. Unfortunately, my buyer is not interested in the extended warranty which I had already bought during the purchase of the my car.

In this case, can I cancel my warranty and get a refund? If so, what will be the procedure? My sales guy says it is not possible. May be because he is reluctant to take up the matter?

Can you please help.
Old 20th October 2022, 16:44   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n' White View Post
Dear fellow BHPians,

I am a Newbie to this forum. I need your help on the cancellation procedure of the Extended Warranty. Due to some situations, I am selling my three months old Innova Crysta. Unfortunately, my buyer is not interested in the extended warranty which I had already bought during the purchase of the my car.

In this case, can I cancel my warranty and get a refund? If so, what will be the procedure? My sales guy says it is not possible. May be because he is reluctant to take up the matter?

Can you please help.
You can't cancel the extended warranty nor will you get the refund.
Old 14th November 2022, 11:26   #294
BHPian

I have a question on when exactly does the Warranty and Extended warranty start? I recently brought home an #Altroz #iTurbo on 30th October, 2022 (the Invoice date and delivery date), however, as per Form 22, the car was billed to the dealer #AryaMotors (in Sector 14 and Gold Course Road) Gurugram on 30th September, 2022.

Checking the Tata ConnectNext application - start of both Warranty and Extended Warranty date shows up as 30th September, 2022 which I believe is incorrect as it should be when the customer purchased the vehicle and in my case it should read as 30th October, 2022. Upon checking with the sales executive (SE), he elaborates that when a car is ordered specifically for a customer - here iTurbo in dual tone red/black, then warranty and extended warranty will be from the date when Tata motors sells the car to the dealer i.e. the time car moves out of the Tata factory. I countered this argument by asking -

1. What if, the customer decides not to go ahead with the purchase OR declines to take the car as it failed the PDI, then what? How can, the next customer who does indeed purchase the car later, have the warranty and extended warranty be of month(s) earlier?
SE Answer - the warranty and extended warranty will *still* be the one when car rolled out from factory.

2. For any item, e.g., refrigerator, electronics (mobile phone, laptop, etc.) - the month/year of manufacture can be much earlier than the sale date - which is when the warranty starts.
SE Answer - no answer!

Am fairly confident that the executive is talking out of his ass, but before I call-out their BS and escalate, thought of checking with folks here. Am I incorrect to believe that a vehicle's warranty and extended warranty will start from the date of sale to customer (invoice date to customer) OR when car rolls out of manufacturer's factory (as per Form 22)? Have asked him to give his explanation in writing in an email so that I have documented evidence. Also, to ensure my warranty claims (if any I make in future aren't rejected) will follow the service schedule albeit - 1 month earlier that it should be because that's what the ConnectNext application says.

Any inputs from experts here will be much appreciated!

-Djay.

Last edited by djay434 : 14th November 2022 at 11:31.
Old 14th November 2022, 12:52   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Upon checking with the sales executive (SE), he elaborates that when a car is ordered specifically for a customer - here iTurbo in dual tone red/black, then warranty and extended warranty will be from the date when Tata motors sells the car to the dealer i.e. the time car moves out of the Tata factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Am I incorrect to believe that a vehicle's warranty and extended warranty will start from the date of sale to customer (invoice date to customer) OR when car rolls out of manufacturer's factory (as per Form 22)?
This sounds very strange to me. The car was anyway being manufactured and coincidentally, allotted to you. It is not a custom car made for you - even if it was, the warranty and maintenance packs should always start from the date of delivery. In fact this gets clearly documented - I am attaching a service estimate from both Skoda and BMW, you can see that the warranty and maintenance packs are linked to the date of delivery. This must be a cover up act for a typo.

Why don't you ask them to just add an additional month at the end of the warranty term instead?

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot-20221114-12.31.03-pm.png

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot-20221114-12.37.23-pm.png

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot-20221114-12.46.02-pm.png
HighRevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 14:11   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
This must be a cover up act for a typo.

Why don't you ask them to just add an additional month at the end of the warranty term instead?
Thanks a ton for sharing the docs, crystal clear that sale/manufacturing date of car from factory to dealership is different from Invoice/sale date to end customer - am Pretty sure it's a typo. Had a chat with the SE couple of minutes ago - he has asked for sometime to consult with his boss, who in-fact was the same person who peddled all the BS about the start of warranty/ext. warranty in the first place. Plan to visit the dealership in-person and have a chat directly with their GM/CX head about the same. Have an inclination that dealership would've billed the car as it was month end to inflate the monthly sales numbers and thus Tata motors app has the 30th September date.

Your idea about extending the warranty by a month - yeah that's pretty neat; hadn't thought of it to be honest but, only if they accept AND more importantly, Tata motors has to accept it and update in their records else warranty claims, if any - are going to be a huge pain! I've also tweeted to @TataMotors about the same, they replied asking for my mobile number in DM (which I've provided already) and am now waiting for their call back. Hopefully they respond - will keep following up with them.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-tweet_sc.jpg  

Old 30th November 2022, 14:01   #297
BHPian

Update on the above saga -

1. With multiple back and forth with the SA, then his manager and finally the GM of Arya Motors, Gurgaon the two options presented to me were -
a. Free accessories worth Rs. 5000/-
b. Reduction in the final price of Extended warranty from the original Rs. 17,200/- by Rs. 6,000 which is approximately 1 year worth of the original 3-year Extended Warranty cost.

2. Had escalated to Tata Motors as to why did the dealer invoice the car in Tata Motors system on 30th September, when the car wasn't even sold to the customer. No response from them and even after providing feedback and having multiple rounds of conversations they couldn’t explain OR commit if the date correction can be done in the Tata Motors system.

3. After all this fiasco I made the following counteroffer to Arya motors -
a. To waive off the entire Extended Warranty amount of Rs. 17,200/-.
b. Get the data correction done in Tata Motors record to reflect the true date of Sale, Warranty and Extended Warranty.

The part of all this drama which worked in my favour was that I had held off paying the amount in its ENTIRETY to Arya motors – all of Rs. 10,05,000/- (final amount yet to be arrived at after the change in Extended Warranty price). This happened as the vehicle has been bought on lease and perhaps, in a hurry to offload the car from their inventory Arya motors was OK for me take delivery of the car on 30th October, while the paperwork was still being sorted with the leasing company - Sundaram Finance. This point greatly influenced the approach Arya Motors took and made the manager and the SA handle the situation in much calmer manner. Instead of me following up to get my matter resolved, I was getting multiple calls from the team and even the GM to please accept their offer.

Heck, as I write this, about 30 minutes back the Sales Manager again called asking to get the payment released by Sundaram Finance. I had firmly requested Sundaram Finance to hold off payment till a resolution is arrived at for the final Invoice amount. Arya motors asked if there can be two invoices created, one for the car and another for Extended Warranty – luckily, that wasn’t part of the leasing process which Sundaram Finance <-> my office <-> myself had in the agreement and there was to be only one invoice to be generated for the car.

With option #3a above, not looking to come to fruition, I’m proceeding with option #1b and get the discounted price of Extended Warranty. Plan to have a final chat with my leasing company advisor and get the payment released soon.

While there are multiple learnings to be derived from this sales drama, the silver lining was – no one became unruly, raised voices, used profanity, or have any sort of physical altercation (people of Delhi-NCR will know how easy it is here to get into a tussle). All conversations were in a clam voice with each party trying to explain what transpired – although one party was clearly selling BS stories and with an intent (I believe) to have no bad blood for future business.

Added the email(s) I received from Arya Motors post my escalation with Tata Motors regarding the date fiasco and some screenshots from the ConnectNext application.

Oh Tata Motors - never does a day go by when interesting things don't unfold with your dealers! Why-o-why

-Djay.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-arya_motors_email1.png  

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-whatsapp-image-20221102-09.22.53.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-whatsapp-image-20221102-09.23.24.jpeg  

Attached Images

Old 17th July 2023, 09:22   #298
BHPian

Hi

My Honda Amaze Diesel V CVT's 5 year warranty is getting over this month. My service center is offering me 1 more year warranty at around 11,000 rupees. I have opted in for the RSA offered by them for 1800 rupees. Also, I have got a Zero dep B2B Insurance from ICICI Lombard for the next year.
Could you please advise me on whether I should go for this additional warranty?
Thanks in advance.
Nazzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 10:17   #299
BHPian

After hearing lot of horror stories, I have some good news to share.

When I purchased my Ford Ecosport in 2019, I had opted for the 2 year extended warranty plan (total 3+2) making it total 5 years warranty (till 2024).

Recently I visited their workshop in Kolkata for some routine service and niggle fixing, the starter motor was changed under warranty and I was offered extended warranty for the sixth year. I was also offered 10% discount on the warranty cost which worked out to be around ₹15K making it a lucrative offer I couldn't deny.

This came as a pleasant surprise from a company which left India quite some time back. Seems Ford is committed to its customers unlike many others who have left the country only to leave the customers to fend for themselves.

Sharing the extensive details of coverage provided to me by the workshop.

[ATTACH=leaflet - EW coverage (1)-1.pdf]2476872[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf leaflet - EW coverage (1)-1.pdf (920.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 17th July 2023, 12:04   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post
Hi

My Honda Amaze Diesel V CVT's 5 year warranty is getting over this month. My service center is offering me 1 more year warranty at around 11,000 rupees. I have opted in for the RSA offered by them for 1800 rupees. Also, I have got a Zero dep B2B Insurance from ICICI Lombard for the next year.
Could you please advise me on whether I should go for this additional warranty?
Thanks in advance.
Sir, extended warranty and zero dep insurance are two different things altogether.

The insurance company will cover any damage due to accident but not any technical fault, unless coverage taken specifically for the same, for eg engine protection cover.
Any part/component failure will be covered by the extended warranty. They also have exclusive clauses which should be read in detail.

So I would recommend you go in for the extended 6th year warranty as this is the age of cars around which mechanical parts/components start failing. I feel it's better to have the vehicle especially mechanical, electronic/ electrical and emission parts covered under warranty.

Hope that helps.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks