Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 20:07   #1
BHPian

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review

Hello Everyone! After lurking in the forum for years, I believe it’s time for my first review, and what’s better than reviewing my most used mode of transport for the past ~6 years: my Btwin RR540, a.k.a Red Explorer!

Before beginning with my review, I want to thank my parents for giving me the privilege to purchase the bike and (spoiler alert) upgrading some parts down the line; I am forever grateful to them.

My hunt for a new bike began back in mid-2016 when I had a Schnell Master Elite (Which was bought back in 2012). While the Schnell was a huge upgrade from the Hercules I had prior to that, it had started to show its age, and further research on bikes showed me the difference between the “basic” bikes and the premium ones.

After going through multiple forums on the web, I figured out my needs and wants for my next bike:
  1. Hydraulic brakes: Having a silky smooth lever with the ability to modulate the brakes with greater control is something that was on top of the needs/wants list.
  2. Hardtail: Since most of my rides were going to be on the road, with a fraction of the rides being on rougher surfaces, hardtail seemed like the right option; Moreover with the arbitrary budget of 30k, a full suspension or a road bike with desirable specifications was a big stretch.
  3. Quick Release on both the wheels and seat: Using a wrench to adjust the seat height or remove the wheels didn't seem ideal.
  4. Removable Derailleur Hanger: This was a no-brainer; When my Schnell fell over on the derailleur side, it bent the frame where the derailleur was mounted, which led to a lot of “jugaad” repairs done by my local bike shop, including but not limited to welding.
With all these requirements in mind, I started shortlisting bikes… and the shortlisting stopped pretty quickly; Why? The only bikes which fit the bill were:

Firefox Nuke 29er: This was a new release back then, hence stocks were extremely limited, and most of the shops in Navi Mumbai didn’t have them in stock. But apart from the stock issue, everything else was great about the bike, it had everything I wanted for the price of around 33k if I recall correctly.

Btwin Rockrider 540: This bike was a surprise find for me because I wasn’t aware of Decathlon’s presence back then *facepalm*. However, after seeing Rockrider 540 on the Decathlon website, I knew this was it; My teenage heart melted after seeing how clean the bike looked with its simple red and dark grey colorway, which was miles ahead of the tacky color options of the competition (at least in the price bracket)

Now, I had a bike in mind, so it was time to move on to the next (and arguably more daunting) task: convincing my parents to spend over 30k on a bike.

I followed a few simple formulas: “patience is key” and “recurring reminders/requests”
The proposal for a new cycle was submitted to the higher authorities in October 2016, with multiple reminders sprinkled throughout the following months while also showcasing the features every now and then.

The closest Decathlon store near Navi Mumbai was in Thane, an hour-long drive, so even getting a closer look at my potential new bike was not possible. After multiple attempts, on Saturday, January 21st, 2017, I finally convinced my parents to drive to Decathlon Thane to check out the bike in person; I was absolutely over the moon, even though they had explicitly mentioned that we are only going there to check the bike out and NOT buy it.

The hour-long drive felt like nothing, mostly because of the excitement. Upon reaching the destination, I was awe-struck with how HUGE the store was, like nothing I have seen before; The sheer width and depth of the store, with many cycles of the same kind, lined up in order of size. It did feel like a field day, albeit a bittersweet one, considering I was “only” going to get a glimpse of my bike.

I walked towards the mountain bikes section and saw the bike I want lined up in front of me. For those who aren’t aware, Decathlon encourages you to test their products inside the store itself, before going ahead with the purchase (you can see multiple people riding bikes and skateboards in a Decathlon store). The salesperson looked at me and took out a bike of an appropriate size from the rack and handed it over to me, basically implying to take it for a spin in the store.

Mind you, this was the first time I experienced hydraulic brakes in person, and boy did it feel good; It exceeded all my expectations which were solely based on reviews. I was SOLD. Everything was perfect, and buttery smooth; The front fork (Made by Suntour) had real shock absorption properties (and hydraulic lockout), unlike the ones found in cheaper bikes, including my Schnell. I did try out the other bikes present in the store, but I was (still) fixated on the Rockrider 540.

After the short test ride, I told my parents how great the bike felt, to which they answered something along the lines of “That’s great, but we aren’t buying it right now”, we walked out of Decathlon, empty-handed, to the supermarket below it. I couldn’t stop thinking about the bike while inside the supermarket either. The amount of thinking I’d done over the past week(s) made me forget about one thing: It was my birthday week.

I went up to the store again to give the bike one last look, my parents joined me soon after; I was ready to leave with them, however, my dad said, “We didn’t drive for an hour to go home empty-handed” and revealed that it was an obvious, hidden in plain sight birthday gift surprise! I couldn’t believe it but the bike I was looking for was now in the process of officially being mine.

The purchase process was pretty straightforward, and the bike was set up in accordance with my body proportions, and accessories (sold separately) were fitted on at the same time.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-607e9d8bb54f419bbfa36ebb6f1b5afc.jpeg

The bike was transported to Navi Mumbai in our car’s (VW Jetta) trunk with its wheel removed; It was one peaceful ride back home!

The next morning, the photographer in me decided to wake up before I did, so here are some pictures:

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201802.png

Red Explorer in all its glory!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201650.png

Shimano Altus 9-speed derailleur does the job well under loads and the 11-32 cassette offers a decent load.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201725.png

The 80mm upside-down stem comes with modular pieces to adjust the height; very clever graphics!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201743.png

Can't get over how clean the livery looks, minimal and modern.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201817.png

Red calipers up in the front give the bike a sporty look.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230329-201836.png

A weird quirk about the brakes: the bike came in two variants, one with Btwin by Tektro hydraulic brakes, and one with Hayes Radar brakes; I went with Hayes (mostly due to the looks :P). Braking performance is good, with a really linear actuation.

Living with Red Explorer is a breeze, nothing bothers the bike, be it flowy roads, or trails; The 27.5"/650b wheelset offers the best of both worlds; The agility of a 26er, and the smooth, fast rides of a 29er.

My first proper cycling expedition was a group event organized by Pedal Thirst Adventures to Tamhini Ghat in the month of October 2017. An overnight camp and riding the bike for 130 km sounded like bliss, so I went for it. I met many like-minded people, it was a great experience overall!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-a3e1544a1dd640e6848598e2450a0fbf.jpeg

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot_20230331162206.png

Tamhini Ghat ride had its ups and downs, literally! Going down the road at speeds of 50+kmph knowing that your bike can handle it is a new and awesome feeling!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot_20230331162014.png

That's me! Tired, drenched in sweat, and being bullied by the sun, but with a smile across my face because I am getting to explore new places with my Red Explorer.

At the end of this trip, the group leader proposed the idea of doing a bigger trip: Manali to Leh on our bikes.

Nothing was confirmed yet, but I was again super excited about it and potentially being a part of that trip. This meant a few things to me:
  1. I needed permission from my parents for taking a 14-day vacation from school in the month of July 2018. Not just any ordinary vacation, but an expedition on 2 wheels for over 450kms with a lot of factors not under anyone's control.
  2. Even though my bike was performing great so far, upgrading a few crucial parts felt like a good idea. Getting permission for the same would be an interesting task.

Now, the research phase of getting a few parts upgraded has officially begun. Since the entire bike industry couldn't agree on a single standard for all the parts, it was a pain to figure out which parts are compatible and which ones are not. I had intended to upgrade the following components:
  1. Drivetrain: I always loved the SRAM style shifters (i.e you can shift up and down using just your thumb) and also felt the need for smoother and more reliable shifting. Added gears would be a bonus.
  2. Brakes: This was an upgrade that I actually needed since the stock brakes felt lacking at times, plus finding brake pads for Hayes calipers was difficult and more often than not, an expensive affair.
  3. Pedals: There's something about metal platform pedals grabbing onto your shoes and keeping them in place, which the default Wellgo composite pedals couldn't offer.

For the drivetrain, I decided to go for Shimano SLX M7000 Derailleur and an 11-36 10-speed cassette, paired with a KMC X10 Chain. Huge credit goes to Sheldon Brown for clearing out all the doubts I had in my mind regarding the conversion from a 9-speed to a 10-speed cassette.

Brakes were an easy choice too; Shimano SLX M7000 Brakes in the front and rear, with the fronts getting a bump in rotor size too, going from 160mm to 180mm. An additional post-mount adapter was required to accommodate the bigger rotor.

Getting pedals without actually seeing them in person was a gamble which thankfully played off wonderfully in my case; I went for Xpedo SPRY for their lightweight magnesium build and aesthetics!

Since most of the parts were wildly overpriced in India, I ordered them from Bike Components, which is based in Germany. This move would however later bite me in my butt when India Post asked for customs duty upon delivery, but I guess you lose some to gain some

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230731-163343.png

All the parts arrived in a big box safely; The cardboard did its job pretty well.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230731-163753.png

These were all the parts, customary top-down shot!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230731-163911.png

180mm vs 160mm rotor; The additional 20mm goes a long way in slowing down your bike quicker while dissipating more heat in the process.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-screenshot-20230731-163956.png

SLX Brake levers look and feel amazing, adjustable levers are a sweet touch.

Here's a short clip showing the derailleur in action!

These upgrades were worth every penny; Each and every part has held up to the test of time, which included a lot of moisture, a few falls, and all types of terrain, be it the smooth tarmac or wading through a river!

With upgrades out of the way, the next step was convincing my parents for Manali-Leh trip; Long story short, it was difficult to convince my mom (who had a lot of questions regarding the safety and my abilities), but in the end, just a day before the trip was scheduled to commence, my mom agreed to the plan, and I'm once again so grateful for that.

While my Manali-Leh expedition on my bike deserves a separate thread, I can't recall all the details of the 14-day long trip, so I shall let pictures do the talking!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali1.jpeg

Various accessories attached to my bike:
  • Axiom Journey Bike Rack: Built like a tank, can carry upto 70kgs and adds rigidity to the bike frame
  • Ortlieb Back Roller Classic Waterproof Pannier: The industry standard for bikepacking adventures, truly lives up to its waterproof claims if used properly. Very easy to mount and dismount. With a total of 40 litres of combined storage, it easily stored everything I needed for the trip.
  • Voltaic Arc 10W Solar Panel with Xiaomi Powerbank: This setup helped to keep all my gadgets fully charged. The solar panel trickle charged the power bank over the course of the day.
  • GoPro Hero5 Black: Run-of-the-mill action cam; Was mounted with really cheap bar mounts.
  • Casio Tough Solar Watch: A solar-powered watch to keep track of time and set intervals for breaks. This stayed on the handlebar.
  • A very cheap bungee cord (more on this later)
  • American Tourister Backpack with Quecha Rain Cover

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali2.jpeg

Scenic routes and great company made me forget that I had to attend regular school classes after 2 weeks...

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali3.jpeg

Conquering the Rohtang Pass was a huge achievement for me, but also a massive middle finger to all those people who had to give in their unasked opinions about my strength to my parents.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali4.jpeg

Deepak Taal and Red Explorer in all its glory!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali5.jpeg

Many passes were conquered throughout the 450km journey.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali6.jpeg

Remember the cheap bungee cord I mentioned earlier? It snapped and its hook managed to leave a deep scratch on my rear brake caliper. It could've been a much bigger issue, but I believe luck was on my side back then!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali7.jpeg

Before going for an impromptu bike wash session...

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali9.jpeg

Washing the bike in a cold water stream; Not a common sight to see!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-manali8.jpeg

These were some of the many pictures clicked during the trip. The bike gave me no trouble throughout the journey, apart from a puncture which was fixed quite easily. Here's the vlog of the entire trip:

Last edited by elampumpkin : 23rd August 2023 at 07:57.
elampumpkin is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 01:43   #2
BHPian

re: Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review

With all the major events covered in the starter thread, attached below are snippets of life with Red Explorer.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-flood.jpg

Monsoon rides are absolute fun, if you aren't commuting! Brakes do get quite vocal in the rains, but they still remain effective!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pbr1.jpg

Random evening rides on Palm Beach Road with my buddies are a true stress buster...

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pannier1.jpg

The same rides being a mini off-road session makes it even better!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-khopoli1.jpg

My first proper century ride was done almost a year after the manali trip.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-service1.jpg

When my friends ride my bike, they are in awe with how smooth and effortless my bike feels; A part of that feeling is the regular service and tune ups done to keep my bike in its best form!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-lockdown1.jpg

My first ride after covid lockdown was a visit to SGC Mall with my friend to test out the cycle parking.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad1.jpg

Rockrider 540 is a relatively rare bike to see out in the open, spotting another one during an offroad ride was memorable to say the least!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad2.jpg

Brown explorer?

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad3.jpg

With Covid still in the air, masked rides were the only option; I can confirm breathing through the mask for multiple rides built a lot of respiratory strength; Riding without a mask later felt like an air filter upgrade!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-crow.jpg

One with the nature.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad4.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-marine.jpg

Rides to mumbai are always fun, the roads become ultra smooth near CSMT, and you get to ride through lanes which aren't exactly accessible with 4 wheelers. Bonus: you get free parking!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad5.jpg

Red Explorer has allowed me to connect with so many like minded individuals and groups, one of them turned out to be one of my closest friend (Hello Arindam!)

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-flood2.jpg

With our shared interest in cars, cycle, and technology, our usual off-road ride location was Owe Dam, Kharghar; 15 minutes for the ride, 45 minutes for catching up with each other.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-offroad6.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-friendship.jpg

Our rides ended with a customary snack break (usually the unhealthy kind, but hey the rides balance it out)

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-wash.jpg

Power washing to make sure Red Explorer is allowed inside the house..

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-lonavala.jpg

You know it's officially Lonavala once you see Maganlal's!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-diwali.jpg

Celebrating diwali with Red Explorer, at its usual residence.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-topune.jpg

I had to move to Pune for my higher education, and there was no doubt about Red Explorer coming along with me. Daily commutes in Pune are done with Red Explorer; Sometimes I reach earlier than my friends on their 2 wheelers!

Attached below are the pictures I initially clicked for the review; It was a very impulsive thought that struck me while I was having coffee at Third Wave Coffee, Kothrud. I am glad I proceeded with writing this!

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune1.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune2.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune3.jpg

Do note that the brakes on my bike are inverted; i.e the left lever controls the front brakes and right lever controls the rear. This combined with how powerful the brakes are, people who ride my bike for the first time are prone to injuring themselves unless I warn them beforehand.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune4.jpg

Xpedo has done a wonderful job with the pedals; They may look beaten up, but they are still as smooth as day 1.

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune5.jpg

I did eventually upgrade to the J04C Ice tech brake pads (mostly for aesthetics, but they work well in all types of weather)

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune6.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune7.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune8.jpg
Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-pune9.jpg

Not everything about the Red Explorer is sunshine and rainbows though; Here are some of the problems I have faced so far and things that could've been better:
  1. Headset bearings gave away prematurely.
  2. Hydraulic lockout on the suntour fork no longer does what it's supposed to do.
  3. The rear hub/hub bearings are not durable enough; As of writing this, the rear hub is due for replacement/service for the second time.
  4. Square tapered bottom bracket is inconvenient to maintain.
  5. 27.2mm seatpost limits upgradability as compared to a 31.4mm seatpost
  6. Only 1 bottle cage can be mounted to the frame.

Let's see what future has up it's sleeve for Red Explorer, I will keep you all updated!

Last edited by elampumpkin : 23rd August 2023 at 08:26.
elampumpkin is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 09:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Moving thread from Assembly Line to Bicycles forum. Thank you so much for sharing.

What a detailed review of the Rockrider! Very well written. And congratulations on your successful Manali-Leh expedition. Wishing you many more such rides in the future.
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful thread. Are you on Strava?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Beautiful thread. Are you on Strava?
Thank you! Yes, I am on Strava; My Athlete ID is 36806148.
Old 23rd August 2023, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elampumpkin View Post
Thank you! Yes, I am on Strava; My Athlete ID is 36806148.
I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to find you on Strava. Or for that matter, that I had an Athlete ID!

Also, how much was you total cost of goods for the German package, and how much Customs over and above that were you asked to pay?

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd August 2023 at 16:28.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 19:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to find you on Strava. Or for that matter, that I had an Athlete ID!

Also, how much was you total cost of goods for the German package, and how much Customs over and above that were you asked to pay?
You can search by my name, it's Adarsh Elamplavil.

I believe the total cost before customs was somewhere around 20k, and they estimated the import duty at 10k; So total cost was around 30k (which is very close to the price of the bike itself). Even after the duties, it was still cheaper than buying everything from India, so that's the only save and grace of that!

I did buy brake pads and other smaller accesories from AliExpress (when that was a thing), but I never had to pay duty for that...
elampumpkin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Wonderful to read about your bike and your experience on it. I used to be quite an active cyclist but now my bike is gathering dust. I too have a btwin; the entry level my bike 7s.

Reading your thread gives me motivation to start biking again, thank you.

To the people who question your 'strength' while you attempt long endurance rides - they don't know the first thing of what it takes to ride; just don't bother.

From my limited experience, my only 2 cents for you are to keep yourself well hydrated during long rides.

Why have you switched your brakes? Does that offer you any advantage?
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:27   #9
BHPian

Re: Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Wonderful to read about your bike and your experience on it. I used to be quite an active cyclist but now my bike is gathering dust. I too have a btwin; the entry level my bike 7s.

Reading your thread gives me motivation to start biking again, thank you.

To the people who question your 'strength' while you attempt long endurance rides - they don't know the first thing of what it takes to ride; just don't bother.

From my limited experience, my only 2 cents for you are to keep yourself well hydrated during long rides.

Why have you switched your brakes? Does that offer you any advantage?
Thank you for the wise words!

My initial motive behind changing my brakes were the lack of availability of the stock brake pads (even in Decathlon). After watching and reading a lot of reviews of different brakes, I made a decision. The new brakes are in a completely different league; The lever feel, and having the ability to brake with just 2 fingers on the lever is something one should experience.
elampumpkin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elampumpkin View Post
My Btwin RR540, a.k.a Red Explorer!
Awesome review elampumpkin. It is a tempting enough review for me to consider cycling seriously. These machines are simply joy to ride.
On a different note, can you tell me the headlamp that you have been using on this bike?
ron82x3 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
Awesome review elampumpkin. It is a tempting enough review for me to consider cycling seriously. These machines are simply joy to ride.
On a different note, can you tell me the headlamp that you have been using on this bike?
Thank you! It is never too late to start cycling!

The first headlight was a CatEye VOLT100; It worked really well, and in my opinion has the best mounting solution, but was on the pricier end at around 2k

The second and current headlight I use is a CatEye VOLT400XC; It is designed for offroad use (hence the rubber band mount), and has multiple light modes. Really good battery and reasonably priced at 2.5k

In a nutshell, you really can't go wrong with offerings from CatEye; They are durable, well designed and most importantly, provides great illumination.
elampumpkin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:05   #12
BHPian

I own the 540 as well! I am sorry if I missed reading, but what was the underlying reason to upgrade from 9 gears to 10 on the rear derailleur?
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 22:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
I own the 540 as well! I am sorry if I missed reading, but what was the underlying reason to upgrade from 9 gears to 10 on the rear derailleur?
Hello! The upgrade from the basic 9 speed cassette to a 10 speed Deore/SLX cassette gave me the following advantages:

1: The range went up from 11-34 to 11-36.
2: Having 10 individual gears meant smaller jumps between each gear. This prevents your cadence from changing too much with each shift.
3. The cassette has HyperGlide technology built into it. Basically each sprocket is engineered with designated shift points all.over it, enabling really fast and smooth shifts, without any of the chain grinding. I must say the shifting feels like it's a DCT.
4. The cassette is optimised for shadow derailleurs. (these derailleurs dont protrude much when compared to non-shadow version)

While the cassette/derailleur may not have been an absolute necessity, it did boost the overall quality of life while riding Red Explorer!
elampumpkin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 08:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bicycles have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Red Explorer | Story of my Btwin Rockrider 540 | A Long-Term Review-br.png
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 11:35   #15
BHPian

A great review. You have done thorough research and analysis before picking up your ride. When it comes to strength it’s not the muscle that matters but the mental strength. All the best for all your future endeavours. Let’s hope that one day you will get to stand on the podium of RAAM (Race Across America).
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks