Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2021, 07:56   #496
Team-BHP Support

Re: Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!

Restarted on the early morning weekend ride, did not stretch too much - 70.5 kms.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_3235.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_3236.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_3242.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 08:32   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Restarted on the early morning weekend ride, did not stretch too much - 70.5 kms.
You have about as much as 2-3 cm of height adjustment left for your handlebar should the back continue to be grumpy.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 16:03   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
You have about as much as 2-3 cm of height adjustment left for your handlebar should the back continue to be grumpy.

Cheers, Doc
Yes, thank you
But so far good, after 3 hours+ riding this morning; hope it goes on like that.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 17:26   #499
Senior - BHPian

Slow last two weeks. Not to mention it's not cold at all. Did easy 60km ride with reasonable avg speed. Tyres have developed cracks on the sidewalls which is worrying me. Anyhow,

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20211127_100653.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20211127_100712.jpg

We got our own Khadki.
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20211127_103015_remastered2.jpg

Not to mention Khandala as well.
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20211127_103938_remastered2.jpg

There's also Singapore nearby here...

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th November 2021 at 07:58. Reason: Photo orientation
amol4184 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 06:38   #500
BHPian

On the almost complete Samriddhi Expressway

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-466f54a9ddf04732939f52be32d35ecc.jpeg
2himanshu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:52   #501
BHPian

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20211128_084504.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20211128_095705.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20211128_065442.jpg

From the hills of the North-Eastern part of India
Adjustable Headset Stem, Pannier Rack, Saddle Bag and Bottle Cages are from Decathlon
docmoya2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:26   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Will share the race/event experience by EoD Sunday.
Happy to share with you all that I completed the 3 ghats, 100kms challenge successfully. Sharing some pics of the event. Will share the complete details on how the event unfolded, hopefully by tomorrow. Now feeling extremely sleepy & want to hit bed asap.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.27.22-pm-1.jpeg
Medal presented to each cyclist who successfully completed the race

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.29.54-pm-6.jpeg
The three of us who practiced and participated together

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.31.35-pm-3.jpeg
Brief pit stop in the neutral zone to enjoy the sunrise

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.31.34-pm-5.jpeg
The beautiful morning sunrise atop Bhillar ghat

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.31.33-pm-1.jpeg
On one of the hair pins in the Bhillar Ghat

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.31.33-pm-3.jpeg
The customary pose

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.31.34-pm-6.jpeg
Other cyclists enjoying the view from top of Bhillar ghat

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-8.29.51-pm-1.jpeg
Today afternoons lunch - Chicken thali and Jagdamba, Khed Shivapur

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-2.33.41-pm-1.jpeg
The winners taking the prize

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-whatsapp-image-20211128-2.33.41-pm-2.jpeg
Participants cheering up the winners
AutoIndian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:31   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to share with you all that I completed the 3 ghats, 100kms challenge successfully. Sharing some pics of the event. Will share the complete details on how the event unfolded, hopefully by tomorrow. Now feeling extremely sleepy & want to hit bed asap.
Fantastic ride there. And it looks like you took the time out to enjoy yourself when you could too!

Looking forward to your detailed commentary.

Cheers, Doc
Old 30th November 2021, 13:02   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
There's also Singapore nearby here...
Singapur.

Cheers, Doc
Old 30th November 2021, 17:37   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic ride there. And it looks like you took the time out to enjoy yourself when you could too!

Looking forward to your detailed commentary.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc. The organizers had clearly mentioned that only the ghat ascend timings would be considered. After the climb ends i.e. in the neutral zone, no need to race as that time won't be counted. Hence I followed the instructions to the "T". Stopped at some scenic spots to take pics, kept myself hydrated and took it easy. After the 3 ghats and 100kms, my legs didn't give way and could have attempted 2 more ghats and additional 100kms, but then I have kept that as a target for next years edition of this race. I am now hooked to this fantastic challenge.

The detailed commentary is still in draft stage, almost 50% completed. If work permits, I will try to publish it tonight itself.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 22:30   #506
Senior - BHPian

The Arkade Sahyadri Classic - Ultra Climbing Challenge was my first cycling event/race in which I have ever participated & after completing it I am speechless. It was worth the time and money spent. The whole event was planned in such a meticulous manner that there was hardly anything to complain. The level of energy, the army of volunteers to support the participants, the hydration support at strategic points, the route selection etc everything was simply perfect.

The run-up to the race:
The three of us put our bikes in our cars and reached the Starting point, Hotel Sanai Residency at Wai on Friday evening at 05:30pm. We filled up the non-disclaimer form and collected our welcome kit. The kit contained the number plate (with RFID tag), Arkade Sahyadri Classic (ASC) brochure, some goodies (jellies), electrolyte tablets & a wrist band. We has some photo sessions there. Our stay arrangements were made at a place called Madhura Agro Tourism, which was 4kms from the race starting point. We didn't want to risk riding the bike for 4kms around 04:30am in the morning to reach the starting point. Hence decided to check if accommodation was available at Sanai Residency itself. To our dismay the hotel was overbooked. However the receptionist was courteous enough to check at a nearby hotel, Sayli, if it could accommodate us. We were lucky, they had a room available for three at a reasonable rate. We immediately went there, checked the room and found it very clean and decent enough for an overnight stay. Paid the advance and moved our stuff in. First thing we did was to assemble our bikes and check their roadworthiness by taking a small ride. Fortunately all nut-bolts were in place and we could ride them without any issues. Attached the bib/number plate to the handle bar and made the bikes ready. We had dinner in the same hotel (good protein intake in the form of clear soup, chicken angara, chicken banjara, daal khichadi). We then hit the bed at 10:00pm but then we could hardly sleep. New place & race anxiety took away the better part of our sleep.

The D-day:
We got up at 03:00am itself as the reporting time at the start point was 04:30am, race starting time was 05:00am. Freshened up. Did some stretching to warm up. Wore the jersey provided by organizers and were ready by 04:00am. Fortunately the hotel had arranged for early morning tea, which we gulped gleefully and were all set to hit the tarmac. We had to carry our luggage from the hotel to starting point and the organizers had arranged to transfer it from race starting point i.e. Hotel Sanai Residency, Wai to race end point (Hotel Savoy Village) in Mahabaleshwar. It was a 1km ride on pitch dark road with 6 kilos of backpack. We handed over our bags to the organizers to transfer them to the race end point and our countdown to the race flag off started. There were various categories as mentioned below. These were the planned list of participants. Actual count might be different.

* 4 Ghats Challenge – Men Open - 32 participants
* 4 Ghats Challenge – Men Masters - 29 participants
* 4 Ghats Challenge – Women Open - No participants
* 4 Ghats Challenge – Women Masters - 4 participants
* 4 Ghats Team of Two – Men, Women, Mixed - No participants
* 2 Ghats Challenge – Open - 98 participants
* 2 Ghats Challenge – Women Open - 12 participants
* 2 Ghats Team of Two – Men, Women, Mixed - 5 participants
* 2 Ghats Challenge – U/18 - 5 participants
* 4 Ghats Challenge – U/18 - 4 participants

The 4 Ghats groups were flagged off first (@5am), followed by women only groups, then under 18 & lastly (@05:15am) the 2 ghats mens open, in which we had participated. In the 4 ghats group there were some minor crashes right at the start, but nothing serious. I started slowly and steadily along with the group. In pitch darkness all around, the curvy road of Pasarni ghat lit up with blinking lights of all bikes. Hope the organizers have done a nice recording of that. During the uphill I didn't exert too much pressure and took it easy. I let couple of road bikes overtake me (3 to be precise), but then I too overtook 10 bikes on the way to the top of Pasarni ghat. I could see few unprepared cyclists taking a break very soon into the climb. I could manage to climb the 9.82km long Pasarni ghat in 54 mins, averaging out 10.9km/h and an elevation of 497m (5% gradient). After the ghat ended the neutral zone started. Almost 5kms after the ghat ended and going through Panchgani market there was a sharp left turn going up towards Bhillar. There were prominent markings made on the road and there were even volunteers giving directions. The tar road ended and concrete road started till we crossed Bhillar village. There were couple of strawberry plantations on either sides of the road and the road would suddenly dip and then rise abruptly, it was nothing less than a roller-coaster ride. After the village ended a bad patch of the road started. Fortunately it was just for 3-4 kms. After this rough patch the tarmac suddenly turned smooth and it was a downhill. Didn't realize when the bike picked up speed and everything seemed to be sailing smoothly. After this steep descend suddenly the road turned left. I hit the brakes hard, but then bike started skidding, hence tried to simulate ABS action (apply & release the brakes at quick intervals) & I had my "heart in my mouth" situation, when my front wheel almost went into a ditch. Fortunately at the last moment I could land on my two feet and hold back the front wheel falling into the ditch. The other cyclist following me with almost the same speed got the scare of his life as he thought I had an accident, but by God's grace it was not my day that day.

25kms into the race and we were at the first pit stop, Nirvana Eco Resort. Very nice arrangements were done here for breakfast (poha, upma, sprouted moong, tea, coffee etc). There was a Physio to treat anyone who had cramps, back-pain or any other issue and their treatment was very effective. Then there was Tech support as well. I had breakfast and tea, did some stretching and then started the Bhillar Ghat descend. Within 2 kms from this spot, I saw a bunch of cyclists on the road side trying to help a fellow cyclist who was lying flat on the ground, he was yelling in pain. This guy had a very bad crash and landed on his head and back. His helmet broke in 2 pieces and his right shoulder was in a very bad shape. Fortunately he was in his senses, but 2-3 times he felt unconscious. We were continuously talking to him and not letting him lose his senses. The rescue van reached the spot in 2 mins & the ambulance followed immediately after that. The guy was bulky and 6 to 7 of us helped putting him on the stretcher and then in the ambulance. He was initially shifted to Wai hospital but then CT scan there showed that he had a fracture in his spine and shoulder as well. He was then shifted to Sahyadri Hospital in Pune. He was riding a full carbon bike (Factor). Hats off to the organizers for making emergency medical arrangements & saving a life. The organizers even thanked couple of us who stood by the fellow cyclist in need and helped him get in the ambulance knowing that we were in a competitive race. From there onwards we rode our bikes very very carefully as the 14km downhill ghat had too steep slopes and scary hair-pins. Finally we reached Medha village. There was a pit stop with refreshments (bananas, energy bars, electrolytes etc) & from this spot we had to take a "U" turn and start the Bhillar ghat climb. We took the necessary break, re-energized ourselves and 3 of us started the climb together. Slowly but steadily we were progressing together. However midway the other 2 riders fell behind and I took a lead. The hair-pins and steep climbs started testing my legs. It was mostly first or second gear, also it was getting hotter. After great efforts and determination I could climb the 14.07km long Ulta Bhillar ghat in 1:15 hours. Elevation gain was 491m with a gradient of 3.5% at an average pace of 11.2km/h. The pack of riders who had taken early lead and were doing downhill were cheering for me while I was climbing up, this was a great morale booster. Finally the 2nd ghat climb ended at Nirvana Eco Resort. Spent there some time stretching and relieving my bladder. Waited there for my fellow riders to end their ascend. One of the fellows was completely exhausted and had very bad cramps. He took Physio's support & overcame it. After few minutes of break we again started the descend of Bhillar ghat and reached Medha village around noon time. By now we had covered 73kms distance. We then took a right turn on Satara - Mahabaleshwar road. This was a very wide road and most stretches being concretised. We reached the pitstop before the Medha ghat climb around 12:20pm. We had some bananas, electrolytes, energy bars and started the Medha ascend exactly at 12:30pm. I was worried about the scorching sun over the head. Hence I covered my head and ears with the neck warmer and wore helmet on top of it. I started the ascend in a relaxed manner. Since the slope was gentle and very good road condition, I was in 3rd & 4th gear and could maintain a steady speed of 10km/h. Major part of the road was covered in tree shades so was saved from the scorching sun. After every 2-3kms I kept myself hydrated by sipping the electrolytes. This prevented any cramps in my legs. Slowly and steadily I could climb the Medha ghat (16kms) in 1:31 hours, 608m elevation and a gradient of 3.5%. I reached the end point of the race, Hotel Savoy Village in Mahabaleshwar at 02:00pm. The race end time was set at 03:00pm. I was presented a medal on successfully completing the race. It was such a gratifying experience. All the weekends of practice and preparation to this race finally culminated in this moment. Then we had a photo session followed by lunch & of course a glass of chilled beverage.

Around 4pm we checked in the nearby Dina Hotel. Took a hot water shower and a cup of tea. Took rest for about an hour and then again at 7pm we headed back to the Savoy Village for presentation ceremony and dinner. It was a simple ceremony. We cheered the winners and drew inspiration from them. Thus concluded a very eventful race.

What went well:
1. Route selection was simply awesome
2. Army of volunteers ready to help
3. Hydration arrangements were decent
4. Medical/Ambulance support & Physio was very good

What could have been better:
1. Accommodation arrangements should have been made at the starting point (even if a paid one)
2. Similarly accommodation should have been provided at the race end point.
3. Some danger spots on the route should have been clearly demarcated
4. Cycling jersey design was good but quality could have been better.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-route-map.jpeg
AutoIndian is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:47   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Arkade Sahyadri Classic - Ultra Climbing Challenge was my first cycling event/race in which I have ever participated & after completing it I am speechless. It was worth the time and money spent. The whole event was planned in such a meticulous manner that there was hardly anything to complain. The level of energy, the army of volunteers to support the participants, the hydration support at strategic points, the route selection etc everything was simply perfect.
Heartiest congratulations on cracking the Sahyadri Classic in your debut attempt. Its no mean feat. And great to see that you are hooked. Its a big race to train for systematically and you must have learned a HUGE amount in this try which you should go back, slowly capture in race notes, so that you have something to refer to while designing your training plan from month to month leading up to next year's edition.

Also if you are serious, and not just doing this because of your love for the hills and scenery and climbing, and especially if there is no separate category for Hybrid/MTB, then you really must look at getting yourself a road bike for next year. And lose the mirrors, bags, running webbing belts, Camelbak etc. Get light. Get strong. Ride hills. Lift if you can (I've still not gotten around to doing that ... its on the cards though).

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 1st December 2021 at 14:51.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:49   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heartiest congratulations on cracking the Sahyadri Classic in your debut attempt. Its no mean feat. And great to see that you are hooked. Its a big race to train for systematically and you must have learned a HUGE amount in this try which you should go back, slowly capture in race notes, so that you have something to refer to while designing your training plan from month to month leading up to next year's edition.
Doc, you have almost read my mind. I am definitely going to take part in next years edition and upgrade to the 4 ghats challenge. Have captured the learnings and nuances in my mind, but as you suggested it's a good idea to jot them down for future reference and improvements. I want to start the prep for next year's race in the earnest & to begin that I want to get a decent road bike now.

Quote:
Also if you are serious, and not just doing this because of your love for the hills and scenery and climbing, and especially if there is no separate category for Hybrid/MTB, then you really must look at getting yourself a road bike for next year. And lose the mirrors, bags, running webbing belts, Camelbak etc. Get light. Get strong. Ride hills. Lift if you can (I've still not gotten around to doing that ... its on the cards though).

Cheers, Doc
Thanks for that suggestion. Yes a road bike is definitely on the cards (if not this month then at least early 2022). Which one would you suggest? Budget would be between 50K to 100K (I am flexible on that). I will keep the current Marin Hybrid for leisure rides and use the road bike for races/events like the Sahyadri Classic. I was not sure about the hydration and nutrition arrangements during the recent race, hence carried some energy bars, electrolytes, hydration backpack etc. I can get ride of these if I want to target decent timings. Just would like to clarify that since this was my first ever race my primary target was to finish it comfortably and not after clocking the fastest timing. But next race onwards will target for some decent timings. What do you mean by "Lift if you can"? It's not clear to me.
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:59   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc, you have almost read my mind.

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes a road bike is definitely on the cards (if not this month then at least early 2022). Which one would you suggest? Budget would be between 50K to 100K (I am flexible on that). I will keep the current Marin Hybrid for leisure rides and use the road bike for races/events like the Sahyadri Classic. I was not sure about the hydration and nutrition arrangements during the recent race, hence carried some energy bars, electrolytes, hydration backpack etc. I can get ride of these if I want to target decent timings. Just would like to clarify that since this was my first ever race my primary target was to finish it comfortably and not after clocking the fastest timing. But next race onwards will target for some decent timings. What do you mean by "Lift if you can"? It's not clear to me.
Whatever you need in a race should either be in your bottle/s or your jersey.

By lifting, I meant lifting weights to get stronger. It might be too early since I'm sure you have a lot of improvement you can still do, but if after a lot of training you find yourself plateauing, then lifting is the next breakthrough tool.

For now work on your climbing but don't overdo it and mess your knees up.

Also, you run a lot. You know my views about running and cycling. If you are competing, do them both only if you are competing in both.

But then expect pure cyclists to be faster. No free lunches in sport as in life.

Cheers. Doc

P.S. At least for the race please remove the side stand too. And thinner tyres would have been great, even if competing on the hybrid. In a climbing event people even strip their bar-tape and cut off the drops to reduce however many unnecessary grams of weight. You needn't go to such extremes, but definitely remove everything from the cycle (and yourself) that's not performing a critical function during the race. A key weight component is water. If your climbs are max an hour, and you have re-hydration and food points between all climbs, you do not need two bottles. You just need one. And a 600 ml bottle is more than adequate. You do not need the XL one liter ones. A bottle and cage is a full kilo! That's HUGE. When you spend thousands of rupees to get a cycle a few hundred grams or a kilo or max two less. You can simply omit a bottle for free.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2021 at 13:21.
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:05   #510
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant race and congratulations for completing it successfully. I can't even think of such brutal, not one or two but four climbs back to back.

Quote:
Within 2 kms from this spot, I saw a bunch of cyclists on the road side trying to help a fellow cyclist who was lying flat on the ground, he was yelling in pain. This guy had a very bad crash and landed on his head and back. His helmet broke in 2 pieces and his right shoulder was in a very bad shape. Fortunately he was in his senses, but 2-3 times he felt unconscious. We were continuously talking to him and not letting him lose his senses. The rescue van reached the spot in 2 mins & the ambulance followed immediately after that. The guy was bulky and 6 to 7 of us helped putting him on the stretcher and then in the ambulance.
Great sporting spirit. A good deed goes a long way. Its comforting to know there are such helpful people out there. Kudos my man!

Quote:
He was initially shifted to Wai hospital but then CT scan there showed that he had a fracture in his spine and shoulder as well.
This is really scary. Not an expert but any injury related to back/spine sends shivers down my body. Hope he gets better without serious aftereffects.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks