Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Rajasthan on a Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wonderful thread. Threads like these remind me of similar cycling travelogues by another member (@adc I think?) to the mountains. Of course, he wasn't the foodie you are Loved the focus on the food options.

Suggestion : can you add a post on the preparations you did and the accessories and tools you carried. There are many budding long distance cyclists (guilty!) who can then look up to threads like yours for inspiration.
Nice to hear from a D-BHPian & a fellow cyclist! and congrats Ninja!!
Food is half the motivation for all my travels.

I lived in Bangalore for few years before moving to Hyderabad. Thanks to groups like Bangalore Ascenders & Bangalore Bikers Club, met a lot of lovely people with interest in cycling long distances and we all started around the same time with similar fitness levels.
I used to commute to office on my bicycle which is 12km each way. It felt like a lot initially. On the weekends, I used to ride long distances with friends from the above groups to Nandi hills or Kanakpura road ranging from 60-120km. This kept me in shape for all my bicycle tours. The key is to ride regularly. Even a distance of 20km is fine. Also, do not get overwhelmed by the distance when training for touring on a bicycle. 20km of cycling needs way less energy when compared to running the same distance. It's the time you spend on the saddle that matters. Measure your training in terms of time like 30mins or 90mins etc. This is of course a simple suggestion for a beginner ignoring a lot of other parameters. I'm sure you know this Ninja, just putting it out here.

Coming to the accessories, I carry an allen key, puncture kit, chain lube, spare tubes, spare tyres based on the age of the tyres and conditions that I am going to encounter, magic link for chain, spare spokes, spoke wrench, brake pads and cable. This sounds like a lot but they hardly occupy any space in the pannier.
Also, I carry a sleeping bag. It helps me sleep in peace in any dingy hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanlover2021 View Post
One word. Mesmerizing. I am from Rajasthan settled in Bengaluru. I had a gush of nostalgia I cannot explain in words. Ride on my friend!
Thanks, sedanlover2021!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Superb! Mind blowing! Amazing would be an understatement!

The trip per se and the photographs are something you don't see often on the forum. This is more like a photologue than a travelogue. Kudos to you.
Thanks, BoneCollector! Glad you liked the pics!
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion : can you add a post on the preparations you did and the accessories and tools you carried.
Lovely thread and equally lovely photographs. The only details missing is as requested in the quote.
This type of trips requires stamina of the physique and mind that too in Rajasthan which is supposed to be dry. Kudos to you
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:54   #18
BHPian

It was wonderful reading your travelogue. I would like to know how you carried your bicycle.

I am guessing you carried it as check-in. In that case, did the airline allows you to check the bicycle in without any cover? From the way I have seen them load that luggage, I can guess there is a good possibility of getting your cycle damaged in the process.
RoadAtlas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! What an amazing travelogue!

One measure of the quality of a travelogue is the strength of the urge it creates in the reader to go out and go there and visit those places and do the things mentioned in the travelogue. Your travelogue has created this huge urge to try to mimic this. Truly inspirational stuff! Thank you for sharing this.

The most charming part of this trip to me is that you were solo. I love solo travels. Solo travels create some memorable experiences and give the traveler a unique vision to spot beauty in many routine things. Your travelogue is one such travelogue that shows the beauty of solo travel.

The photographs of the solo bicycle in the desert are really nice.

Although I am not a bicyclist, I would love to repeat your circuit in a car. I have been discussing a Rajasthan drive with some friends, and while in that mood, I see this travelogue today. Thank you for sharing the details of all those food places too. Really valuable material for future travelers!

Rated a well-deserved 5-star!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th June 2021 at 12:42.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Lovely thread and equally lovely photographs. The only details missing is as requested in the quote.
This type of trips requires stamina of the physique and mind that too in Rajasthan which is supposed to be dry. Kudos to you
Thanks, pugram! I have listed the accessories in my previous post. Do let me know if you need more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAtlas View Post
It was wonderful reading your travelogue. I would like to know how you carried your bicycle.

I am guessing you carried it as check-in. In that case, did the airline allows you to check the bicycle in without any cover? From the way I have seen them load that luggage, I can guess there is a good possibility of getting your cycle damaged in the process.
Thanks, RoadAtlas! Yes, airlines accept a "packed" bicycle as a check-in. Some airlines treat it like any other luggage and you need to pay for the excess weight if you are crossing the allowed limit. Some charge a fixed amount like Indigo as a special equipment and charge a flat rate of Rs1000.
Hyderabad airport insists you to get the bicycle wrapped in plastic. They was no such requirement in other airports.
Check the fourth pic in this post from my other travelogue: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4838162

Here is a video for packing the bicycle for airline travel:

I donot follow all that completely. I deflate the tyres, remove the front wheel, reduce the height of the saddle to absolute minimum, loosen the handle bar and tie it to the frame with old tubes. You can find that pic in the 2nd post in this thread. The chances of getting damaged is low. It does not get thrown like the other baggage or go over a conveyor belt. It is carried by a staff to the flight and back.
papr23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Your travelogue has created this huge urge to try to mimic this. Truly inspirational stuff! Thank you for sharing this.

The most charming part of this trip to me is that you were solo. I love solo travels. Solo travels create some memorable experiences and give the traveler a unique vision to spot beauty in many routine things. Your travelogue is one such travelogue that shows the beauty of solo travel.

The photographs of the solo bicycle in the desert are really nice.

Although I am not a bicyclist, I would love to repeat your circuit in a car. I have been discussing a Rajasthan drive with some friends, and while in that mood, I see this travelogue today. Thank you for sharing the details of all those food places too. Really valuable material for future travelers!

Rated a well-deserved 5-star!
Thanks, Dr.AD! I'm happy this travelogue further strengthened your plan to tour Rajasthan

I am relieved you did not ask "why solo?" and know the answer. I struggle to explain it to my family & friends. Some even wonder if I am alright.

The pic in the opening post took nearly 20mins. It's hard work if I want to be in the frame!
papr23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post

Coming to the accessories, I carry an allen key, puncture kit, chain lube, spare tubes, spare tyres based on the age of the tyres and conditions that I am going to encounter, magic link for chain, spare spokes, spoke wrench, brake pads and cable. This sounds like a lot but they hardly occupy any space in the pannier.
Thank you. I'm aware of cycle taken on flights in a box (like a new cycle purchase box) or in cycle bags/covers. Done the former on an international flight, but going by the first pic you'd shared, I'm guessing you had a simpler option to package the cycle on the flight? Which airline was it and what was the packaging you opted for?
Old 11th June 2021, 14:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, wow, wow! What a trip! Best way to see the country, two wheels (though in my case, i don't have the stamina to cycle, so it'll have to be a motorcycle!) But what a journey. Imagine all the time in the world, Indian Railways and a bicycle (or small motorbike). What a way that would be to spend a few years really seeing this amazing country that we are so lucky to have!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 15:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
North by Northwest
I hope this travelogue inspires you to tour on a bicycle or visit the wonderful state of Rajasthan!

A word of caution if you are planning to ride a bicycle. The terrain is F-L-A-T !
Amazing travelogue, absolutely lovable pics and YES you have just inspired me to do it on bicycle. Me and office group had made a rough cycling plan for Rajasthan pre covid, this one will inspire us to implement it when given a chance.

F-L-A-T terrain will bring a smile for someone who has been riding in Pune ( Every ride has elevation here )
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:01   #25
Team-BHP Support

What an amazing travelogue! Those roads, the loaded bicycle, the food, the architecture, the scenery, everything makes one want to go on such an adventure. Like Dr.AD rightly pointed out, the measure of a travelogue is how much it makes one feel to go on such a trip. And your travelogue does exactly that. Hats off for making such a wonderful solo ride and thank you for putting together this travelogue and sharing your experience.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I'm aware of cycle taken on flights in a box (like a new cycle purchase box) or in cycle bags/covers. Done the former on an international flight, but going by the first pic you'd shared, I'm guessing you had a simpler option to package the cycle on the flight? Which airline was it and what was the packaging you opted for?
That is how I packed my bicycle for all the tours, Ninja. I don't carry a bike bag as it will fight for space in my already cramped panniers. I don't recollect what airlines I used for this tour but over the years I have travelled on all airlines except Vistara & AirAsia. The rules are dynamic, so check for the rules before booking your ticket. Some aircrafts like ATR cannot accommodate the bicycle. You need to consider that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, wow, wow! What a trip! Best way to see the country, two wheels (though in my case, i don't have the stamina to cycle, so it'll have to be a motorcycle!) But what a journey. Imagine all the time in the world, Indian Railways and a bicycle (or small motorbike). What a way that would be to spend a few years really seeing this amazing country that we are so lucky to have!
Absolutely! So much to see in this country. I originally wanted to ride across 2 states and start from Ahmedabad and ride till Jaipur. When I started researching I realized it is better to stick to one state at a time. What absolute gems these 2 states are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Amazing travelogue, absolutely lovable pics and YES you have just inspired me to do it on bicycle. Me and office group had made a rough cycling plan for Rajasthan pre covid, this one will inspire us to implement it when given a chance.

F-L-A-T terrain will bring a smile for someone who has been riding in Pune ( Every ride has elevation here )
Thanks, silverado! It will not be strenuous to ride in Rajasthan for the Pune folks for sure. Hope your gang enjoy the tour when things improve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
What an amazing travelogue! Those roads, the loaded bicycle, the food, the architecture, the scenery, everything makes one want to go on such an adventure. Like Dr.AD rightly pointed out, the measure of a travelogue is how much it makes one feel to go on such a trip. And your travelogue does exactly that. Hats off for making such a wonderful solo ride and thank you for putting together this travelogue and sharing your experience.
Thanks, graaja! The beauty of Rajasthan is the destination is as beautiful as the journey!
papr23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:10   #27
BHPian

Great to read about another bicycle solo tour experience. The pics are awesome.

In this journey and other journeys, did you feel the need for disc brakes on downhill runs?
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:43   #28
BHPian

Very nice travelog and beautiful photographs.

Your food photography makes me think to visit Rajasthan again.

If you don't mind may I know your camera/lens?
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:15   #29
BHPian

Even though I was not born in Rajasthan, I consider myself the adopted son of Rajasthan. My parents were both born in Jaipur and my wife is from Jodhpur. Every time I visit India I spend most of my time in Jodhpur.
nitinsharma1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 22:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Great to read about another bicycle solo tour experience. The pics are awesome.

In this journey and other journeys, did you feel the need for disc brakes on downhill runs?
Thanks, mr.sinha! AFAIK disc brakes are useful in wet conditions. I never crossed 45kmph while descending and did not feel the need for disc brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Very nice travelog and beautiful photographs.

Your food photography makes me think to visit Rajasthan again.

If you don't mind may I know your camera/lens?
Thanks IP_Man! I have used Nikon D3100 with its kit lens 18-55mm.
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks