Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 17:02   #5896
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I got my road bike serviced by Velo Doctor (velodoctor.in). They do servicing at home - need a small space and a few hours to do the service. Quite happy with their work

Attachment 2171981

+917904459541 is their contact number.

Btw I thought Cyclo Cafe was a good setup (never used their services though) ? Any reasons for not going back to them?
Wait, what?? I thought TBHP was supposed to remain sponsorship free

Obviously, no clue if Ninja bhaiya has already addressed this.

On an unrelated note, received a forward in the Pune cycling group for novices. Of course, helpful for ones who are just getting into bicycling .
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-1624908254_wouupk1ji9.jpg  

Old 29th June 2021, 17:18   #5897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post

On an unrelated note, received a forward in the Pune cycling group for novices. Of course, helpful for ones who are just getting into bicycling .
I couldn’t find the arrow thing on my bike…should I take it back to the dealer

In other news, I went out and looked at the so called branded lids in the market. Atrocious prices to say the least. They all felt like hats to me. Decathlon it is.

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th June 2021 at 17:20.
Old 29th June 2021, 17:31   #5898
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I couldn’t find the arrow thing on my bike…should I take it back to the dealer

In other news, I went out and looked at the so called branded lids in the market. Atrocious prices to say the least. They all felt like hats to me. Decathlon it is.
I'm wondering if you are trying out the right size (most good helmets have at least two) and also using the dial adjuster at the rear. Also, you need to place the helmet such on your head that the front edge is about two fingers above your eyebrow line. The shell of a road helmet is shaped different to a mtb/hybrid urban helmet because the head (and eyes) is tilted differently. In addition to the rear closure, the strap V should end a couple of centimetres below your earlobe. And the strap should be fitted well behind your chin, snugly. In the end even with all of this some helmets will feel moulded to the top and sides of your skull, and some feel weird. Buy the one which feels neutral,because over longer distances otherwise it will become really irritating, even painful

Cheers, Doc

P.S. lots of you tube videos on how to wear/fit a road bike helmet.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th June 2021 at 17:35.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 17:46   #5899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post

It's called giving feedback on existing service providers. We have a full directory section for it. And feel free to report if you feel otherwise.

Quote:
This is the problem I see with forwards - that image is hardly useful to a newbie cyclist. So someone marked out 'head tube' - what does it do? What is it's use? Are there variants of it available?

Also the image is of road bikes of the 70s & 80s. My uncle has a 30+ old bike like that - the 'control levers' you see in the center are gear levers which was how one used to change gears back then. 'Hand lever' in this image are just the brake levers, not for gears.

You just saw a similar Q from @Red Liner on another part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Most road bike riders eventually migrate to cleats.

It's painful. But a rite of passage.
I guess I don't fit the usual - I used them for a year and then abandoned them. Since then they have been in storage for half a decade.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 17:51   #5900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess I don't fit the usual - I used them for a year and then abandoned them. Since then they have been in storage for half a decade.
I'll be happy to take them if you have no use for them.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th June 2021, 17:58   #5901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be happy to take them if you have no use for them.

Cheers, Doc
Haha - I'd be able to do that if I knew where my cycling shoes (with the cleats) were

Blame it on the life of a traveling consultant (pre-covid). A good chunk of my stuff is in suitcases/boxes (some of it won't even fit me now I guess).
Old 29th June 2021, 18:01   #5902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha - I'd be able to do that if I knew where my cycling shoes (with the cleats) were

Blame it on the life of a traveling consultant (pre-covid). A good chunk of my stuff is in suitcases/boxes (some of it won't even fit me now I guess).
Don't worry about the shoes and cleats. I have my own.

What about the pedals?

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th June 2021, 19:44   #5903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry about the shoes and cleats. I have my own.

What about the pedals?

Cheers, Doc
Ah, no doc - I'm fond of those. Don't ask why but I never got them off and have been riding with them since then (you can see them in the pic I shared with the velodoctor post).
Old 29th June 2021, 20:44   #5904
BHPian

Quote:
It's called giving feedback on existing service providers. We have a full directory section for it. And feel free to report if you feel otherwise.
Ahem ahem. I was trying to be funny as should have been signified by that emoji. Of course, we have no affiliations with product/process creators/owners/implementers on Team-BHP, only recommendations based on experiences. In case the message got lost in translation, do forgive me . I don't even have half the experience you have in cycling.

I just received a pic on WhatsApp which everyone started to praise on the group and one that looked reasonable, but obviously looked old school. But, since, most of the novices in the group are oldies (relative term), I assumed it to at least cover the basics.

Nevertheless, forgive the ignorance.

Cheers.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:45   #5905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, no doc - I'm fond of those. Don't ask why but I never got them off and have been riding with them since then (you can see them in the pic I shared with the velodoctor post).
Ok I remember now. You have the MTB style ones with the cage. I have the three point SPS-SL road ones. Wouldn't work.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th June 2021, 20:55   #5906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok I remember now. You have the MTB style ones with the cage. I have the three point SPS-SL road ones. Wouldn't work.

Cheers, Doc
Why do you have these pedals? Why change what comes on a regular road bike? I saw these in a store and they looked nice and shiny. School us.
Old 29th June 2021, 21:32   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you have these pedals? Why change what comes on a regular road bike? I saw these in a store and they looked nice and shiny. School us.
Since the begining of time (cycle wise) riders have used systems to anchor their feet to the pedals through a variety of mechanisms built into the pedals and the shoes. It's simply more efficient. Your pedaling becomes a lot smoother and faster. You become a lot more secure on the bike in tricky sections. It's a huge boon in the climbs and sprints. And set up right, they prevent bad habits of compensation creep in on long rides, which eventually lead to injuries. There are many other advantages, but to me personally the cadence and climbing ability were a revelation.

Also, most (all?) Bike fitters will not even touch you without the first step of the entire process, which is setting up your cleats. From there they move to the other two contact points. Saddle and then handlebar.

A 1 cm shift of your feet on the pedals changes everything else in the rider body-bike dynamic chain. And the fitter will keep chasing his tail essentially.

The reason I was asking Ninja was because I have gotten so happy with them that u wanted to fit my ACT with the same.

The shoes and cleats remain common.

All I need is a set of pedals for the ACT.

I have Shimano 550s on my Cannondale.

But they are expensive (5.5-6k a set).

Decathlon set at 2.5k is cheap,but they are not compatible with Shimano cleats.

Shimano pedals (which I have) are Not compatible with Look-Keo cleats (which are the ones Decathlon sells).

The Decathlon cleats however are less than half the price of the Shimano cleats. Actually a third. 1500 bucks for the Shimanos versus 500 for the Decathlon Look-Keo (the originals cost about the same as Shimanos ... about1300-1400). Also availability is a serious factor for ANYTHING Shimano nowadays.

For rough riders like me who live in a bungalow with a large compound of gravel driveways, and a lot of city riding, I wear through cleats pretty quickly. So it is not an insignificant cost.

But if I change to Look cleats, on my shoes, then I need to buy not one but two sets of new pedals, and then the Shimanos get wasted, or need to be sold. At a hit.

And Shimano pedals are far superior in terms of the clipping mech as well as the longevity and serviceability as well as the smoothness compared to the Decathlon Look copies. Wider base for power transfer as well. Metal plate reinforced.

The cleats are near about the same except that the Shimano ones have a slightly higher stack height. But do provide a more stable and slightly wider platform of engagement.

If Ninja had Shimano road pedals it would have put me in business.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 29th June 2021 at 22:01.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 07:24   #5908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the begining of time (Doc
Is this the one from Decathlon? Not anywhere close to the price you mentioned lol

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8486991/c...8486991&type=p

Shimano and a bit more expensive https://www.cyclop.in/products/shima...ss-pedal-black

Would these be more comfortable than regular pedals? My feet keep coming off the pedal on the upswing.
Old 30th June 2021, 08:58   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the one from Decathlon? Not anywhere close to the price you mentioned lol

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8486991/c...8486991&type=p

Shimano and a bit more expensive https://www.cyclop.in/products/shima...ss-pedal-black

Would these be more comfortable than regular pedals? My feet keep coming off the pedal on the upswing.
That's 500 bucks more than what I mentioned, and what they were last time I checked. It's inflation and plain pandemic profiteering / demand and supply.

Most bikes have increased 5-10k since the past 12 months, as an illustration.

The Shimanos are not the ones I have. They are the most basic narrower resin body ones.

I think it's too early for clipless pedals for you since you've hardly ridden the bike yet. And clipless pedals involve a number of falls initially. Even riders who have been using them for long fall once in a while.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:02   #5910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's 500 bucks more than what I mentioned, and what they were last time I checked. It's inflation and plain pandemic profiteering / demand and supply.

Most bikes have increased 5-10k since the past 12 months, as an illustration.

The Shimanos are not the ones I have. They are the most basic narrower resin body ones.

I think it's too early for clipless pedals for you since you've hardly ridden the bike yet. And clipless pedals involve a number of falls initially. Even riders who have been using them for long fall once in a while.

Cheers, Doc
Okay. I will.reinstall the foot clips loop thing on the bike instead and practice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks