Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2024, 12:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands

I like tractors! All tractors. I don't know much about tractors at all if I'm honest. I just like to look at them and see them at work. As it turned out, this particularly event I visited also showed me a vintage demonstration on making barbed wire. That in itself was worth the trip. See below for the little video!

I have posted about tractor-pulling and vintage tractors before. Last weekend the 43rd edition of the IHF Panningen was held.

https://ihf-festival.nl

The largest gathering of vintage tractors in Europe. I had never been yet, so I started my vintage 1982 Mercedes W123 early Sunday morning and headed south. For those familiar with the Netherlands, Panningen is a small town southeast of Eindhoven. It is located in the province of Limburg, the most southern province of the Netherlands.

This International Historic Festival is pretty huge. It attracts some 25000 visitors. I must admit although I did hear some German and Flemish, my impression was it is largely a Dutch crowd, both participants and visitors.

It is entirely run by volunteers. One of the reasons I like these tractor festivals is because of the crowd it attracts. These are, as you would expect, mostly from the farming communities. And as you will see it is a real family outing, watching tractors. Lots of things for the kids to do and see.

The lady with the trolly is very typical for Dutch people on a day out. Be it at the beach, out in the woods, or here at a festival. You pile the kids and everything you need for the day into the trolly and pull it along!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280001.jpg

First things first. After an hour and a half driving on a warm, sunny day in a vintage car with no AC, I was ready for some coffee and a snack. So I got myself some of these tokens. One token cost one euro. You pay in all the food stands with tokens. Everything was quite cheap! Coffee, tea, softdrinks and even a glass of beer or wine was one token!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280005.jpg

One of the first vehicles I bumped into, was a working steam model tractor!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280007.jpg

Look at this; vintage tractor galore! Next to vintage tractors, there were also a lot of stationary engines on display. You will get to see some of those too. Stationary engines were used in the olden days to provide power to all sorts of farming machinery.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280010.jpg

Gorgeous combination!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280011.jpg

Love the engine details

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280012.jpg

This tractor was an aircraft tug, that worked in the UK for many years, around the 1960/70s.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280013.jpg

Although the vast majority of vehicles on display were tractors, there were a couple of vintage cars. And some vintage trucks too.

Here you a gorgeous Saab. In Dutch, it is known as a "katterug" (A cat's back)

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280015.jpg

One thing about tractors, more often than not, the colour will tell you immediately what brand it is!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280016.jpg

Of course, on an event like this there were quite a number of these market stalls selling model Tractors and farming equipment.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280018.jpg

As the day wore on I saw more and more little boys and their dads walking around with some of these!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280027.jpg

Look at this, it might be vintage, it is still impressive!!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280020.jpg

If you have read some of my other threads you will have picked up on the fact that I am a huge Unimog fan. Mrs. D has vetoed getting one, but at least I can have a good look at quite a few of them here. They come in a bewildering amount of different versions. This appears to be the Long Wheelbase version.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280019.jpg

There were also quite a number of these "track" vehicles. Here is a whole trailer full on them. These were all built in the early 1940s.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280034.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280035.jpg

Two of my friends from my model engine building forum were present as well. They were giving a demonstration in brazing. Here you see Wiel explaining it all. He is quite amazing, he can braze weld just about any material. If you like, you could have a try yourself!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280032.jpg

This articulated tractor is massive, from the 70s!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280036.jpg

You will notice that some of these tractors have been restored to factory-new conditions, while others look as if they have received no maintenance at all for the last twenty years. One of each, restored and unrestored side by side.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280039.jpg

Tractors as far as the eye can see. And make no mistake, just about every single one of them, was brought onto these display fields under their own power. Some might look old and beaten, but they still run!!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280041.jpg

A gorgeous Hanomag.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280042.jpg

The show was spread out over multiple fields. On each field, they also had an area where the old tractors were put to work. Here you see one of these vintage tractor pulling a vintage ground levelling machine.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280045.jpg

It also meant there was a constant coming and going of tractors driving through the public on their way for a demonstration or coming back to be put on display again.

Another huge articulated tractor. John Deere.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280047.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st August 2024 at 18:51. Reason: Minor edit.
Jeroen is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 12:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands

Lots and lots of vintage tractors!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280050.jpg

I bumped into this Unimog bargain. Euro 600! You can't even by a decent bicycle for that sort of money. But when consulting with Mrs. D she would have none of it!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280052.jpg

There were also several dozen of these vintage caravans. They used to be very popular with the gipsies and the circus folks. I am not sure about circuses in India. But when I grew up, there were still proper circuses roaming around Europe. Several of the big names in the circus world were Dutch. They brought lions, elephants, clowns, jugglers, magicians, a huge tent and lots of these campers.

From age 10 till about 18 I was part of a youth circus! We did not have a tent, or such caravans. We performed in regular venues and we had some great acts.

I was part of a juggling act (saucers on a stick), gymnastics (I came second twice in the Dutch National gymnastics) and of course a bicycle and uni-cycle act! Good fun.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280054.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280056.jpg

As I mentioned before, I don't know much about tractors. I go by visuals mostly. So I liked this little tractor a lot. Took an image!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280055.jpg

Row after row after row of vintage tractors.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280057.jpg

This was a lovely combo!. This model was beautifully made!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280058.jpg

I might not know a lot about tractors, but I can almost guarantee that this choice of colour will not get much traction (pardon the pun) in the tractor community!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280062.jpg

Combine harvesters are amongst the most impressive pieces of farming machinery. Little boy enjoying himself, with his little tractor!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280059.jpg

We have had an extremely wet summer so far. This has meant that a lot of outdoor events have been cancelled due to the fields being in bad shape. These fields were pretty ok. There was the odd, muddy patch. I attended a similar, but but smaller event last year. The fields were very muddy. You needed wellies to walk around. Also, the field in which all the cars were parked got extremely muddy as the day wore on. Most cars had to be pulled out of the parking by tractors. Luckily that day I had taken my Jeep. I needed a four-wheel drive to get myself out of the parking field and back onto the normal road.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280060.jpg

A vintage mobile generator unit.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280061.jpg

I spotted these gorgeous mopeds. Immaculately restored!!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280063.jpg

On one of the fields they held a proper "trekker-trek" or tractor pulling. These tractors might be old, but they can still pull!

They had a bunch of vintage tractors tearing around to even the grounds after every pull!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280068.jpg

I can look at this for hours, and I did!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280069.jpg

Old and somewhat battered engine

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280070.jpg

Restored to perfection!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280071.jpg

It was time to have something to eat. Lots of food stalls about. I am on a permanent diet. So a simple chicken wrap did me fine!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280072.jpg

This sawmill was in full operation. It still belonged to the same family from new. Of course, these days not in commercial operation. Just a family hobby.

Look at how that cut is made, horizontally, so they are making planks!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280073.jpg

The previous saw was driven by a stationary engine, but many tractors were used to power other machinery. Such as this band saw. Of course, these days, tractors come with hydraulic PTO (Power take-off). By and large, they still power the same things. With (irrigation) pumps probably being the most widely used.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280074.jpg

Another stationary engine

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280075.jpg

If you follow my "fiddling with cars" thread you will have bumped into this vintage truck. I came across it at a vintage car show a few weeks ago. Lovely little truck.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280077.jpg

Did I mention I like Unimogs? Here are some more!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280076.jpg

The car on the left is a Volkswagen, a Kubelwagen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Kübelwagen)

But the one on the right was the real gem. I have never come across anything like it. Russian made

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280080.jpg

Last edited by Jeroen : 31st July 2024 at 10:06.
Jeroen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

There were several steam tractors as well.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280081.jpg

Some of our members will remember Porsche used to make tractors too.

They are not as rare as you might think!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280104.jpg

Of course, Porsche is still cashing in on its legendary reliability and longlevity.

Lots of these track tractors too. I don't remember them as such from my youth. At least not on farms. But I saw plenty of them here.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280103.jpg

In one of the other demo-fields a pair of vintage tractors kept ploughing away!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280112.jpg

And the crowd goes wild!!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280109.jpg

If there is one thing you will not find here it is over-exited and hyped folks. As I mentioned this is an event run by and attended by, largely, the farming community. It is the only event that I am aware of, that opens its doors on both days at 08.00 o'clock. And everything will be open and ready for the public. Tractors will be demo-ing, cafes are pulling pints, and hamburgers being cooked.

25000 visitors in two days and not an official in sight. No cops, nobody with a badge or yellow safety jacket. All in perfect harmony, to be enjoyed by the whole family.

And to that effect a lot of stuff for the kids to do as well!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280084.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280086.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280087.jpg

And lots of kids driving small tractors!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280116.jpg

Gorgeous!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280113.jpg

This is probably borderline as to what is considered acceptable in these circles!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280122.jpg

This was fascinating. I saw barbed wire being made. All mechanical, very clever machine. The normal capacity was 14 meters per hour. They had slowed it down to about 1/50th of its normal speed so you could have a good look on how it all worked

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280141.jpg

Some of these tractors are restored to perfection.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280144.jpg

Some, not so much. I like them both! Different visuals, different appeal, both interesting.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280145.jpg

boys with their tractor!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280147.jpg

Boys with their dad. Traditionally, farming families have always been big. They are not as big as they used to be, but they top the average Dutch family by at least 1.5 kids!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280127.jpg

Lots more stationary engines

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280128.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280133.jpg

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280140.jpg

Have a look at how they start this engine. You need to apply a lot of heat onto a special dome on the cylinder head. That is a propane bottle/burner and it is going at full blast. Once a farmer managed to start his/her tractor in the morning, it would never be shut down during the day. Too time consuming to get it to restart.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280153.jpg

I am sure some members will remember similar household appliances? I certainly do. My mum did not get her first real proper washing machine till the mid/late 60s.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280142.jpg

I am not sure if this little boy understood what he was looking at and turning? But that is an early tumble washing machine, powered by hand

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280143.jpg

These types of tractors tended to be used in the vineyards in Germany and France.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280149.jpg

It doesn't get more Dutch than this; Clog-making demonstrations! Lots of farmers still use wooden clogs! So do truckers.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280159.jpg

Another demo area with lots of (tractor, digger) activities ongoing.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280156.jpg

By about 1400 it was getting very hot. I started to make my way back to the car park. Notice all the bins provided? Not a single wrapper was thrown down. Everybody tidies up themselves and uses the bins provided.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280176.jpg

On my way back to the car park I had to make room for this steam tractor. Pretty cool. They had two small kids in the back too!

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280167.jpg

I think there were 4-5 of these massive fields for people to park their cars. And, this is the Netherlands, also hundreds and hundreds of bicycles from people living nearby.

Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands-p7280179.jpg

I spend about 4,5 hours here. Entry was just Euro 10 (I get a Euro 2 discount as I'm over 65 these days!). An extremely well-organised event, with lots to see and do. I enjoyed it and have made a note in my calendar for next year.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 31st July 2024 at 11:26.
Jeroen is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 17:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Amazing collection of tractors Jeroen. Do these events occur in a rural farm area as it seems very well organized.

We own a Massey Ferguson - similar to the one which Jeremy Clarksons wife has on Clarksons farm but i dream of a day that we get bigger and higher capacity tractors.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Amazing collection of tractors Jeroen. Do these events occur in a rural farm area as it seems very well organized.
Thanks. Yes this is a rural area near Panningen. A small village in the south of the Netherlands. From what I could see, there was one farm house and barn on the fields. Might have been multiple owners though, because the event stretched over several field and so did the parking.

The Netherlands is a small country. So it might be rural but it is always within easy reach for the public by bicycle, cars and public transport.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 14:27   #7
BHPian

Re: Vintage Tractor Show | Panningen, The Netherlands

Thank you so much for sharing. Jeroen. These photos were wonderful. Envious of your varied interests and life.

The photos of the caravans reminds me of the caravans described by Enid Blyton in her 'Famous Five' and other series.

At one time, me & my kiddo used to obsessively watch this channel on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/@Tractorspotter/videos

Regards,
Venkat
venkat_partha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 22:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice event! Always fascinating to see old machines.

I sometimes wonder what today’s electronics laden machines will look like 50 (or even 25) years down the road. Will they be just as reliable and still run, or will they be equally easy to repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

If you have read some of my other threads you will have picked up on the fact that I am a huge Unimog fan. Mrs. D has vetoed getting one, but …
I am sure you’ll find a way!

We are rooting for you to get one..
Old 2nd August 2024, 09:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
There were several steam tractors as well......

If there is one thing you will not find here it is over-exited and hyped folks. ........

25000 visitors in two days and not an official in sight. No cops, nobody with a badge or yellow safety jacket. All in perfect harmony, to be enjoyed by the whole family.

By about 1400 it was getting very hot. I started to make my way back to the car park. Notice all the bins provided? Not a single wrapper was thrown down. Everybody tidies up themselves and uses the bins provided.

Jeroen
Thats a whole lot of beautiful tractors Sir. Thank you for the post. I enjoyed the pictures and the narration very much.
Apart from Unimog and Volvo, I haven't heard of the other manufacturers.
The steam engined tractors are just awesome and were in a class of their own.
What got my attention apart from the tractors is how much civil the people are over there. The day and night difference compared to Indians is evident.
I wish for Indians to become well mannered with good civic sense to make our country a better place for living.

Thanks again.
Prakritij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I sometimes wonder what today’s electronics-laden machines will look like 50 (or even 25) years down the road. Will they be just as reliable and still run, or will they be equally easy to repair?
Ultimately it is a supply and demand issue. As long as there are sufficient people who like to own and run old machinery, there is likely to be a supply industry catering for parts and know-how.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks