Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2023, 12:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands

You can say a lot about the British, but few would argue that when it comes to producing cars they have an impressive record. British classic cars are very well represented in the classic car scene, just about anywhere in the world I have found.

You will find British classic cars on any car show and event all over the world. The Dutch MG club started some 26-27 years ago for a small car boot sale for their members. Over the years it has grown to a very substantial event.

As all car jumbles should be, the event is free for both the entrants and the public. You simply rock up in your British car and find a place on a massive field. Some 20 Dutch British car clubs are present, but you don’t need to be a member.

Waalwijk is less than half an hour drive from where we live. So early Sunday morning I fired up my Jaguar and drove south.

Of course, on any British Classic events you will find some E-types:

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2250.jpeg

Some five (different) London Taxi’s, with luggage!

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2256.jpeg

A gorgeous Aston Martin. Beautiful colour, although not original apparently.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2258.jpeg

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2259.jpeg

How about a V8, Stag Estate? First time I have across this one. I must admit, I don’t like it at all. I do like the regular Stag very much though.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2267.jpeg

A very nice Ford Capri. The only one I spotted. Capri’s were made in the UK for a number of years. Of course, Ford is not a British brand, but I think the organisers allow just about anything that has some British heritage and is or was build in the UK at some time.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2275.jpeg

They even had modern electric MGs present. You could take them for a little test drive. Which I did not. Electric cars are bad enough, this monstrosity embodies just about everything I hate about modern cars. A badge that has nothing to do with the original brand, pig ugly design and no proper engine. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2301.jpeg

This is what these car jumble are all about. You pile all the parts and tools you don’t really need in the boot and display them on a rug.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2252.jpeg

Lots of people selling all kinds of stuffs and some merchants as well. When you are on a British event, any British event, somebody will be selling picnic baskets.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2243.jpeg

I spotted this model. It looks as something from a SciFi movie, but it is a model of an actual car. This is a modified Citroen that was used for road testing different tyres.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2245.jpeg

This gentlemen was selling a lot of very nice and interesting model cars. I had a little chat with him. Turns out he knows my friend model collector Berndt really well! Small world.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2246.jpeg

A Mini Make. You don’t see them very often here in Europe. My wife grew up in the Caribbean, on Barbados. Still lots of Moves around there. You can still rent them too. Tourist love them. That is till they find that on a tropical island, driving around in a completely open car is not a good idea. You will burn badly!

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2274.jpeg

A piece of art I think.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2262.jpeg

Four different generations of RRs and a Bentley at the far end.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2277.jpeg

I like most Bentley, but I am still not convinced on this interior though.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2278.jpeg

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th June 2023 at 12:55.
Jeroen is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 13:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands

The very vintage and the not so vintage.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2279.jpeg
British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2281.jpeg

I always like these Rovers, great cars with some interesting engines! Spare tire/wheel on the boot!

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2283.jpeg

Of course, a British Classic car event would not be complete with some Land- and Range Rovers. There were plenty!.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2284.jpeg

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2305.jpeg

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2290.jpeg

An immaculate Jaguar XJR/X308, very well maintained.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2289.jpeg

Not MG finest, but it has a pretty loyal following. The mid engined MGF. Classic car ownership does not come much cheaper.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2286.jpeg

I only saw one TVR. As cars go, they are completely bonkers.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2293.jpeg

Lots and lots and lots of MGBs about of course. Still one of the most popular ragtop vintage sports cars.

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2296.jpeg

Another example of how the British car industry lost the plot, during the late 70s, the TR7. How could anybody ever consider this a worthy successor of the earlier TR4, 5 and 6s?

British Car Jumble, Waalwijk the Netherlands-img_2297.jpeg

I found some very large size ring spanners. One of the few tools I did not have yet.

All in all a very enjoyable day. Of course, it is nothing like the mother of all classic car jumbles, the auto jumble, Beaulieu in the UK. If you ever get the chance to visit it, please do. Even for people who have little interest in (classic) cars this jumble is a real experience. I have been several times, have a look here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...aulieu-uk.html (Outdoor sale of unique cars & parts at the International Autojumble, Beaulieu (UK))

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th June 2023 at 13:07.
Jeroen is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 06:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 07:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
All in all a very enjoyable day. Of course, it is nothing like the mother of all classic car jumbles, the auto jumble, Beaulieu in the UK. If you ever get the chance to visit it, please do. Even for people who have little interest in (classic) cars this jumble is a real experience. I have been several times, have a lookparts-international-autojumble-beaulieu-uk.html[/url]
Lovely cars. Europe has so much respect for the classics. Like the Mille Miglia which was just on. Amazing beauties those cars. Indeed Ive visited Beaulieu and the New Forest. And seen one of those Auto Jumbles back in 2010 or something.
Must go again for some of those superb Brit Car events, maybe Goodwood itself some day. And definitely the Mille Miglia and the Targa Florio one day too. Maybe drive the Furka and the St Bernard passes in an open top car.
Lots of dreams. Need to do them one by one.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks