Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 22:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeepster's Armada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

Have there been any soundproofing discussions in this forum?

The DI Marshal I have in mind to buy is presently doing daily tourist duty to Rohtang Pass (despite lacking a taxi registration) and being that they're raking in money with it in-season, the owner doesn't want to sell it till after June. Let's see if that works out. Might give the Armada owner a lowball offer in the meanwhile (he got it at auction from the company he works for, most likely at close to scrap value, guessing 30-40k or so - so he might be happy with 55-60k???).

-ERic

PS: anyone know whether the DI range has wet liners? Machine shops up here are best avoided entirely.
There are threads on Damping for ICE.

No thread for sound proofing though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...er-thread.html

I dont have much information about the DI liners type, will ask my mechanic.

Quote:
Bend a steel wheel and you can either straighten it or replace it for very little cash. Break an alloy wheel, it's a little tougher.
You MIGHT find someone to TIG weld / re-form it - but I'm not very sure about that.

So if you can get some steel rims off a newer vehicle (Scorpio?) that can accommodate tubeless tires, I think that's best for hard use if basic functionality / serviceability is your top priority.
Alloy -
  • -costly
  • -not repairable
  • +looks
  • +rigidity
Steel wheel -
  • -bends easily
  • -plain looks
  • +cheaper
  • +repairable
IMO for mild offroading & long tours a steel wheel + tubeless tyre will do the job just fine.

Tyre puncture can be repaired with right tools the DIY way too.

In India offroaders use tubed tyres so they can lower the air pressure.

For tubeless tyre you need BEAD-LOCK RIMS which are Expensive & not locally.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 16th June 2012, 09:21   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
In India offroaders use tubed tyres so they can lower the air pressure.

For tubeless tyre you need BEAD-LOCK RIMS which are Expensive & not locally.

rgds,
Nikhil
Nikhil Sirji: I have been offroading since 2005 in my MG413W and have been using TL tires since I bought the vehicle.

I do not use Bead Locks on my stock RIMS and have lowered my tyre pressure as required in OTRs as per my discretion. I use dry Nitrogen in the TL tires

And I live in INDIA
Old 16th June 2012, 11:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I do not use Bead Locks on my stock RIMS and have lowered my tyre pressure as required in OTRs as per my discretion. I use dry Nitrogen in the TL tires
BTW are you sure its safe ?

will you recommend this to every offroader ?

rgds,
Nikhil

BTW I dont have any real time experience on this or even offroading.

Last edited by jeepster : 16th June 2012 at 11:23.
Old 16th June 2012, 13:43   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW are you sure its safe ?

will you recommend this to every offroader ?

rgds,
Nikhil

BTW I dont have any real time experience on this or even offroading.
I WILL - But only to people who have their head over their shoulders

Last edited by headers : 16th June 2012 at 13:51.
Old 31st August 2012, 08:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nikhil Sirji: I have been offroading since 2005 in my MG413W and have been using TL tires since I bought the vehicle.

And I live in INDIA
I used to live in a coastal state where a lot of 4x4 enthusiasts went out on the beaches, lowering air pressure to 10-15psi to float over (rather than cut through) the sand. Absolutely no issues doing this with tubeless tires under those conditions, at least. I worked for tire shops in the U.S. and can say that the beads on tubeless tires are extremely tight and very often don't break even when tires are run completely flat for extended periods.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 08:50   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nikhil. I've put a deposit (finally) on the 2001 Marshal 4x4 (DI, disc brakes, Scorpio 16" styled steel wheels) that I've had in my sights for the past eight months or so... There are only three of these DI LWB Jeeps up here (Manali, HP), and this is the only one an owner was willing to part with (which means I didn't get it at too great of a bargain, but I guess it's still a relatively cheap way to get into a diesel 4x4). I'd made a lowball offer on the '99 4x4 Armada I looked at earlier, but the owner didn't bite and I was just kind of thinking I'd like the extra couple kmpl that the DI would offer me. Could've been a great car with an easy XD3P conversion (quieter/more powerful than the DI), but not presently any of those engines in running condition available at the salvage yards.

Still working out a couple paperwork / mechanical issues before the final sale / transfer for the Marshal, but seems it's going to happen. Just did a little 4x4 driving yesterday with wife/baby/friend up on a steep, muddy link road - looking forward to more of that in the future.

Anyway, wondering whether it would be worth starting a more unified/specific LWB thread (if there's nothing along those lines yet) since that there are at least a few of us now with longer Jeeps...
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Nikhil. I've put a deposit (finally) on the 2001 Marshal 4x4 (DI, disc brakes, Scorpio 16" styled steel wheels) that I've had in my sights for the past eight months or so...

Could've been a great car with an easy XD3P conversion (quieter/more powerful than the DI), but not presently any of those engines in running condition available at the salvage yards.

Still working out a couple paperwork / mechanical issues before the final sale / transfer for the Marshal, but seems it's going to happen. Just did a little 4x4 driving yesterday with wife/baby/friend up on a steep, muddy link road - looking forward to more of that in the future.

Anyway, wondering whether it would be worth starting a more unified/specific LWB thread (if there's nothing along those lines yet) since that there are at least a few of us now with longer Jeeps...
Congrats !!

Finally you have a 4x4 .

Please check out following threads & get needed documents.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18859-article-how-buy-used-car-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-india.html

When taking delivery of the vehicle get a Delivery note (which says he has delivered the vehicle to you), Payment receipt (that you have paid (all) money to him) along with RC & all RTO FORMS.

& a 100 rs BOND (bought by the previous owner on his name) which should state that he is willingly selling his vehicle to you at $$$ amount (which is on the payment receipt) & will bear any legal issues & legal expenses arising in future in his ownership period (before the delivery date).
EDIT: & that he will return all the money if such issues arises or the vehicle can not be transferred on your name due to any legal issue.
& get it NOTARIZED.

Yes you can (& should) start a separate thread for your LWB 4x4 ownership .

rgds,
NIKHIL

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd September 2012 at 09:12. Reason: legal notice
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 01:50   #113
BHPian

Quote:
you see due to the health department folks i really dont know the manufacturing date of the armada.

as they have lost the RC book.

from my guess its 1998~99 , from the first lot of the NGCS armada. (& manual borgwarner too)

my armada also has the 160 PCD similar to newer Mahindra, Tata & Force vehicles.

your 540 & 500di have 139.7 PCD.

its really difficult to answer.

this depends on your personal choice, available money & use pattern.

i had a choice of big MT , AT tyres but they were costing tooooo much & they need alloys so i went for the these tyres as they were cheaper.

now a 31 inch tyre is costing approx 12K+ & with 20~25K 8J alloys total sum will be around 85K+.

so i will still vote for standard 550 tyres that is MRF sand grip , APOLLO bullets & JK sand cum highway all cost 6.5K to 7K due to low or no production.

or you can buy ATF sand/highway at 4K till you decide what you want.

rgds,
Nikhil
Hi Nikhil,
Can you please tell me where to get the 7.50x16 ATF sand grip tyres for my ngcs 550? I'm from Bhubaneswar Odisha.
Old 15th November 2015, 01:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
Hi Nikhil,
Can you please tell me where to get the 7.50x16 ATF sand grip tyres for my ngcs 550? I'm from Bhubaneswar Odisha.

I bought them from a dealer in PUNE.

You can call directly to the company. (for dealer info, they also ship directly to you.)

Note: only buy tyres from them, use MRF tubes.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 01:15   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I bought them from a dealer in PUNE.

You can call directly to the company. (for dealer info, they also ship directly to you.)

Note: only buy tyres from them, use MRF tubes.

rgds,
Nikhil
Thanks Nikhil. Have already contacted the company and got the quote. They are willing to ship it directly but want to levy VAT. Trying to source it through a dealer so that the price comes down a bit. The tube point taken. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2015, 01:21   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nikhil. Have already contacted the company and got the quote. They are willing to ship it directly but want to levy VAT. Trying to source it through a dealer so that the price comes down a bit. The tube point taken. Thanks.
Try local tyre walas who deal in tractor /trailer tyres, they have these Brands.
(ATF, Speedways, MRL, Superking, Eastman,MRL, etc.)

some recent pics.
Jeepster's Armada-wp_20150928_14_49_35_pro-.jpg

Jeepster's Armada-wp_20150928_15_15_56_pro.jpg

Tyres are ok, had to replace tubes.
rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 15th November 2015 at 01:45.
Old 15th November 2015, 01:56   #117
BHPian

Tyres are ok, had to replace tubes.
[/indent]rgds,
Nikhil[/quote]

Hey what had happened ? How come both rear tyres got punctured ?
Old 15th November 2015, 12:34   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey what had happened ? How come both rear tyres got punctured ?
Mechanic needed jeep for towing. (not my trusted mechanic)

The tyres were low on air (jeep had dead battery from 3 months, you can see the front tyre) but instead of removing them & filling air, He just thought "500 ft ke liye tyre kyo nikalneka" & drove it to tyre wala guy hardly 700fts from where jeep was parked.
Within 200~300ft's the tubes lost the valve stems, but he still drove 70fts.

I got a call from his saying " sir tyre puncher ho gaya".

Rest as seen in pics.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 15th November 2015 at 12:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks