Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 23:30   #1
BHPian

Powering up Power of Gypsy, Should I go for it?

Hi Guys,

The follwing modifications has been done in my 1994 White Colour Gypsy :

- Fibre Body Hood Cover.
- 5 Gear Box Installed.
- Sofa Seats.
- Direct Distributor ( without point and condensor).
- A.C & Heater fitted with Maruti Agency.
- Front Hub Locks.
- Power Break.
- Double Din Ice.
- Roof Top LCD.
- New Flooring Matts.
- 5 Alloys with 5 Dominator Tyres of Size 275R15
- Rally Silencer.
- Garware's Suncontrol Film with Certificate under Motor Vehicle Act.

These all are the modification done and not even a single penny this White Beast needs.
But I guess that i need to spend more on it after reading specially, how khan_sultan and my other friends have worked hard on thier Gypsies, I really admire thier patience and hard work they have put in and I am really impressed by them.

I have two things in mind at present after reading all the threads on Gypsy's

1 Diff Locks.
2 Crawler Gears.

But both are not available in India, can any one help me out in sourcing/getting it? I'll be really thankfull !!!

Please advice me for the same.

MODS. If this thread is not in its proper place, then maybe shifted to its place, from where i can get to know all the details am asking for. Thanks!

Regards.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:03   #2
BANNED

Re: Powering up Power of Gypsy, Should I go for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post
Hi Guys,

- Fibre Body Hood Cover.
- 5 Gear Box Installed.
- Sofa Seats.
- Front Hub Locks.
- Power Break.
- Double Din Ice.
- Roof Top LCD.
- New Flooring Matts.
- Rally Silencer.

These all are the modification done and not even a single penny this White Beast needs.
But I guess that i need to spend more on it after reading specially, how khan_sultan and my other friends have worked hard on thier Gypsies, I really admire thier patience and hard work they have put in and I am really impressed by them.

1 Diff Locks.
2 Crawler Gears.

But both are not available in India, can any one help me out in sourcing/getting it? I'll be really thankfull !!!

Please advice me for the same.

MODS. If this thread is not in its proper place, then maybe shifted to its place, from where i can get to know all the details am asking for. Thanks!

Regards.
You are Bang on with all the Above.

1) Reduce the rear overhang.
2) Why not an old Multijet engine

I dont think a 5 speed gearbox would help you much.

Go in for the 1995-1999 Gypsy gearbox (MG410W)

They are the short ratio gearbox's and works perfect for off-roading.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You are Bang on with all the Above.

1) Reduce the rear overhang.
2) Why not an old Multijet engine

I dont think a 5 speed gearbox would help you much.

Go in for the 1995-1999 Gypsy gearbox (MG410W)

They are the short ratio gearbox's and works perfect for off-roading.
Thanks Pawan for your advice, and i have given a thought of changing GB but again was double minded that the cost i have to spend in changing GB, why not that cost should be spent on Crawler Gears, which will give more power than of 1995 - 1999 GB.

What do you say?
Old 30th January 2011, 18:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
==============
==========

What all modifications did you do to the Gypsy to accommodate 276R15 size tyres? What's the profile?

Quote:

1 Diff Locks.
2 Crawler Gears.
Why? It's your decision but do think why you want to put them in your gyspy? What would be the purpose of the gypsy?

Do note that all mods come with lots of several downsides and can lead to headaches if you are not sure of what you are doing. You decision should not get influenced just because the person next door has done it.
Old 30th January 2011, 18:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
What all modifications did you do to the Gypsy to accommodate 276R15 size tyres? What's the profile?

Why? It's your decision but do think why you want to put them in your gyspy? What would be the purpose of the gypsy?

Do note that all mods come with lots of several downsides and can lead to headaches if you are not sure of what you are doing. You decision should not get influenced just because the person next door has done it.
Thanks Khan_Sultan for your reply
I dint do the modification to accomodate 275/60R15 size tyres, here i would like to correct myself on tyre size : its size is 255/60R15 instead of 275/60R15.

The purpose for modification in Gears is for just Offroading and Snow riding, its my 3rd Gypsy and i did loads of headache in modification into it, and i have been using it just for 2 months in a year (i.e. during Snowfall or for Offroading)
When there is about 2 feet of snow or even more, all the gypsies get stuck, no matter whats size of your tyres is and no matter whether they are offroad tyres or specially designed for mud and snow.
So in this kind of situation i would like to go for the modification and install Diff. lockers and Crawler Gears.
What do you suggest in this kind of situation?
Old 31st January 2011, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

A diff lock alone should be sufficient for SNOW. But you gotta be aware of black ice that could take you by surprise.

Crawler Gears give you lower speed at higher engine rpm and almost 2 times the std torque. Also like KS mentioned, the usages of these are different IMO.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The purpose for modification in Gears is for just Offroading and Snow riding, its my 3rd Gypsy and i did loads of headache in modification into it, and i have been using it just for 2 months in a year (i.e. during Snowfall or for Offroading)
When there is about 2 feet of snow or even more, all the gypsies get stuck, no matter whats size of your tyres is and no matter whether they are offroad tyres or specially designed for mud and snow.
So in this kind of situation i would like to go for the modification and install Diff. lockers and Crawler Gears.
What do you suggest in this kind of situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A diff lock alone should be sufficient for SNOW.
Once snow gets around the 24 inch mark it gets all caught up into your underacarriage and wheel wells creating friction. This coupled with the fact that with snow of depth you are almost going up hill, up slope all the time against (through) the snow. The resistance of the snow on the undercarriage combined with the lack of traction on the tyre patch are going to stop you regardless of 4x4 drive. Crawler gears won't help much, if at all. A locker will help some but maybe not as much as you might intuit. Ground clearance, tyres (right tread pattern) and maybe tyre chains are more helpful. And, if the accursed 4x2 and SUV people have managed to get themselves stuck or wrapped around each other in front of you, you ain't going no place anyway.

Another thing that may sound odd but I have found very true. In snow, I mean REAL heavy, coming down at you SNOW, one thing that is a must is a clear windshield. Make sure you have the best wipers you can get but also make sure you can put volumes of hot air on the inside windshield to melt snow and keep the glass fog free and snow free. You do not want to have the best tyres, suspension, lockers etc. and then be brought to a halt because you can not see where you are going..........been there, done that and bought the T-shirt, thank you very much. A heavy, fast accumulation of snow-ice coupled with wind can actually shred your wipers leaving you blind at the wrong time.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 31st January 2011 at 15:08.
Old 31st January 2011, 21:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A diff lock alone should be sufficient for SNOW. But you gotta be aware of black ice that could take you by surprise.

Crawler Gears give you lower speed at higher engine rpm and almost 2 times the std torque. Also like KS mentioned, the usages of these are different IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Once snow gets around the 24 inch mark it gets all caught up into your underacarriage and wheel wells creating friction. This coupled with the fact that with snow of depth you are almost going up hill, up slope all the time against (through) the snow. The resistance of the snow on the undercarriage combined with the lack of traction on the tyre patch are going to stop you regardless of 4x4 drive. Crawler gears won't help much, if at all. A locker will help some but maybe not as much as you might intuit. Ground clearance, tyres (right tread pattern) and maybe tyre chains are more helpful. And, if the accursed 4x2 and SUV people have managed to get themselves stuck or wrapped around each other in front of you, you ain't going no place anyway.

Another thing that may sound odd but I have found very true. In snow, I mean REAL heavy, coming down at you SNOW, one thing that is a must is a clear windshield. Make sure you have the best wipers you can get but also make sure you can put volumes of hot air on the inside windshield to melt snow and keep the glass fog free and snow free. You do not want to have the best tyres, suspension, lockers etc. and then be brought to a halt because you can not see where you are going..........been there, done that and bought the T-shirt, thank you very much. A heavy, fast accumulation of snow-ice coupled with wind can actually shred your wipers leaving you blind at the wrong time.
@ Headers i am looking for more power from the same engine and also not to get stuck in some silly type of situation, and black ice points are very well known, so i always be careful at such points.

@ Dirty Dan Thanks for your suggestion, and i myself keep in my mind to change wipers once a year, just before winters always.
I have driven in snow upto 3feet with snow chains, and it was unbelievable ride, where ever i used to take the gypsy it had good traction and not even stuck once though it was fresh snow and once your tyre marks are there on the snow, then you give way to people, rather not you waiting for the people to give you way
Anyways, here i am discussing about to increase the power of the gypsy plus more traction by installing diff lockers as this gypsy is used only in snow or sometimes offroading.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to a few tuners (Jiggy for one) and the common opinion is that for an MPFI 1.3L engine the easiest mods for more power (15% bump) is to install the twincam head from the 1.3L swift. Couple this with a piggyback ECU, BMC intake and Free Flow exhaust and you should see a 20% bump in power.

Anything else is too complicated (Turbo, Supercharger).

Another thing you can try is to get tires which have the optional "screw-in" studs for driving on ice/snow. You will have to import these I think.

Diff-Locks should offer enough traction with the above tires but these tires are really wide for a Gypsy. You may need to use crawler ratios as well. These wide tires will foul in the front wheel-well so as weird as it may sound, for pure snow driving a wider rear and narrower front might be the ticket?
Old 1st February 2011, 10:16   #10
BHPian

Bro is that your gypsy on sale in classifieds . I found out by reading the description which is same as in this thread. If yes but why after all the worksd you have done to the gypsy
Old 1st February 2011, 16:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

My Gypsy on sale? I hope you are referring to someone else!

Last edited by gsferrari : 1st February 2011 at 16:06.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
My Gypsy on sale? I hope you are referring to someone else!
Not yours buddy , airwolf's? . The description in the first post of this thread matches that of the gypsy in the classifieds .here is the link

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ti/Gypsy.html/
Old 1st February 2011, 22:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I spoke to a few tuners (Jiggy for one) and the common opinion is that for an MPFI 1.3L engine the easiest mods for more power (15% bump) is to install the twincam head from the 1.3L swift. Couple this with a piggyback ECU, BMC intake and Free Flow exhaust and you should see a 20% bump in power.

Anything else is too complicated (Turbo, Supercharger).

Another thing you can try is to get tires which have the optional "screw-in" studs for driving on ice/snow. You will have to import these I think.

Diff-Locks should offer enough traction with the above tires but these tires are really wide for a Gypsy. You may need to use crawler ratios as well. These wide tires will foul in the front wheel-well so as weird as it may sound, for pure snow driving a wider rear and narrower front might be the ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Bro is that your gypsy on sale in classifieds . I found out by reading the description which is same as in this thread. If yes but why after all the worksd you have done to the gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Not yours buddy , airwolf's? . The description in the first post of this thread matches that of the gypsy in the classifieds .here is the link

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ti/Gypsy.html/

@ gsferrari : Thanks for your support, i know that lot can be done on MPFI Engine, but please suggest what can be done to stock engine of Gypsy MG 410 so that some power can be increased.
As far as tyres are concerned, to get it to import to India with all its duties paid, will cost a lot (that much, that one can buy fully loaded nano ) and at present i use chains in snow, as dont have any choice. Only the problem is, once single tyre get stuck in snow, that looses traction and all the power goes to the tyre which is free resulting that you are going no where, just spining round round
So i guess, had diff lockers been installed, one wont face this kind of situation.

@ Karizma : Yes bro thats my post on classified for the sale of Gypsy, i have Twins so am selling off one and keeping one in garrage for the snow purpose. Do you have someone who is interested in it ?

Last edited by airwolf9211 : 1st February 2011 at 22:25.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

- Fibre Body Hood Cover.
- 5 Gear Box Installed.
- Sofa Seats.
- Front Hub Locks.
- Power Break.
- Double Din Ice.
- Roof Top LCD.
- New Flooring Matts.
- Rally Silencer.

Great to come across another gypsy fan, i just wanted to ask, where did u fit the heater and a/c unit? i have been going through many threads on the gypsy on this site and i was under the impression that a heater unit for the gypsy is not available so i am a little confused.

I have read countless posts of successful a/c installations, mostly on the new MPFi gypsys. Can u give us more details on your heater a/c unit please. is it a single unit? what brand is it? is it a MGP?

Any info would be of great help sir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks