Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 21:52   #1
BHPian

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
This thread is now officially transfered to JeepCaptain as he is going to continue the restoration of Navigator.

I have to do that to consolidate some of my other restoration and vehicles parked at home.
Thanks Siva for your message and also for giving me your Jeep.

Guys, I have been on the lookout for a petrol CJ3B for a very long time to enjoy the real joy of Jeeping with a Hurricane Engine.

Sometime back during a telephone conversation Siva told me he was looking for a new owner for his CJ3B since he has got the FJ40. Then suddenly it struck my mind.. why don't I take his vehicle and restore it. I suggested this to Siva and he happily agreed.

So guys now I have a new project in hand, a 1969 CJ3B RHD with Hurricane Engine.

I have collected the Jeep from Siva and now it has reached Bangalore. Many thanks for my friend and bhpian SVsanthosh who got it from Chennai.
Soon It will reach Kerala where I am planning to do the restoration.

Former ownership thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...rol-power.html (Mahindra (Kaiser) CJ3B RHD 1969 Petrol power)

Thanks
JC

Last edited by Samurai : 10th August 2010 at 22:08. Reason: thread moved
Old 10th August 2010, 22:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post

I have collected the Jeep from Siva and now it has reached Bangalore. Many thanks for my friend and bhpian SVsanthosh who got it from Chennai.
Soon It will reach Kerala where I am planning to do the restoration.
Shibu, if you had plans of taking it to Kerala, why did you take it to Bangalore? You could have directly taken it to Kerala, any particular reasons?
Where does the count stand now?

Spike
Old 10th August 2010, 23:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Shibu, if you had plans of taking it to Kerala, why did you take it to Bangalore? You could have directly taken it to Kerala, any particular reasons?
Where does the count stand now?

Spike
Spike, you have a valid point. We had initially planned to take it directly to Cochin. But looking at the condition and age of the Jeep myelf and Siva was not very sure whether it will make it all the way to Kerala in one go which was about 700 km.
So we decided to take it to Kerala through the shortest route with one stop in Bangalore. The route chosen was Chennai to Bangalore 300 km and from Bangalore to Sultan's Battery via Mysore which is 250 km. So even if breaks down in the middle we have a shorter distance to tow. Which actually happened in this case.
Yes the Jeep stalled after 120 kms from Chennai due to gearbox problem. Not because of the age or condition, but because of another heavy cargo on board which is going to be my next project.

While me and Siva was looking at options to send the Jeep to Kerala, SVSanthosh kindly agreed to drive the Jeep from Chennai to Bangalore.
Many Thanks to you Santhosh. When Santhosh started from Chennai, everything was smooth.Engine and drivetrain was smooth except the falling debris ( rusted body) all over the place. Santhosh once referred it as raining metal/rust pieces!! After an uneventful drive on 120 km the Jeep it stalled and they were still 180 kms away from the destination. Then Santhosh with is local expertise arranged a recovery and the Jeep was towed it to Hosur to his trustworthy mechanic.
Santhosh can elaborate more about that exciting trip or adventure.

Regarding the latest count, not yet a dozen !!

JC
Old 11th August 2010, 00:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Update: The legal papers from Govt. department has been released and already send to RTO for name transfer. However waiting for the Chassis number trace.
Old 11th August 2010, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Shibu,
Looking forward to another 3B restoration, and its a nice 3B to add to your collection. Shiva must be a happy person too knowing the Jeep is with you now.
Regards,
Old 11th August 2010, 10:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Congratz J_C looking forward to update on this thread!
Old 11th August 2010, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shibu on the buy!
Looks like breakdown enroute to your destinations are a way with your vehicles. I remember that you had a breakdown when driving from Delhi to Cochin, I think near Nagpur, right?

Anyways congrats once again and welcome to the Hurricane world!

PS If I remember correctly Dint you already have a Hurricane powered CJ3B?
Old 11th August 2010, 11:48   #8
BANNED

Thursday 1500HRS, I get an sms from SV Santosh: "What plans for the weekend Sir?"

I reply: "Nothing much, what about you?"

He replies: "Going to Chennai to pick up a petrol Jeep"

I reply:"Need someone to help?"

He replies:"Yes, let me book your tickets then"

So, I reach his house at 2200HRS on Friday to see 4 suitcases ready to go to Chennai with us

I ask him:"Do we need to drop this luggage somewhere at Chennai?"

He says: "Naah, these are my tools, just in case, you know"

We board a rick to Madivala and catch the ABT 2330HRS bus to Chennai.

While I endure the snores of my neighbour passenger(not Santosh) and suffer all night, Santosh goes to sleep thinking I m the one who's snoring...!!!

Santosh can narrate the rest...!!!
Old 11th August 2010, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Update: The legal papers from Govt. department has been released and already send to RTO for name transfer. However waiting for the Chassis number trace.
trammway, Thanks Siva for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shibu,
Looking forward to another 3B restoration, and its a nice 3B to add to your collection. Shiva must be a happy person too knowing the Jeep is with you now.
Regards,
Fazal Sir, Thanks so much.I must say this is my first real 3B. Since the other one being a 3B with a B275 Engine diesel cannot be considered as a original CJ3B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey Congratz J_C looking forward to update on this thread!
Jaggu, Thank you. Will be starting the restoration soon and updates will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats Shibu on the buy!
Looks like breakdown enroute to your destinations are a way with your vehicles. I remember that you had a breakdown when driving from Delhi to Cochin, I think near Nagpur, right?
Anyways congrats once again and welcome to the Hurricane world!

PS If I remember correctly Dint you already have a Hurricane powered CJ3B?
Harjeev, Thanks a lot. Yeah you are right, First It was my Gypsy KIng which broke down near Nagpur enroute to Cochin and this time its the CJ3B. But let me tell you its not because of my vehicles. It is because of me!! and both happened due to same reason.

First time I was trying to ship a Hurricane Engine+T-90 GearBox+ Spicer 18 Transfer case from Soumen's ( Kandisa) MM440 on the Gypsy all the way to Kerala from Delhi and poor Gypsy couldn't take the extremely heavy Engine+GB+TC. As a result the both axles of the Gypsy popped out midway forcing me to leave the engine and continue the journey.

Second time on this CJ3B I did the same mistake!! Guess what I was transporting?? just a small XD3P Engine!!

PS- No Harjeev, my other CJ3B has a B275 Diesel Motor.
Old 11th August 2010, 15:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...Santosh goes to sleep thinking I m the one who's snoring...!!!
5AM, Saturday. Guindy. ABT Last stop.

We take a auto and all the 4 suitcases for a days' journey to Chennai. All the recovery equipment stowed away carefully so as to not attract extra luggage charges... I even carried a wheel jack knowing the TN Govt would not give away one set on every auctioned vehicle... Little did I realize they wouldnt even bother giving a spare wheel...

After a very 'looking-forth' auto ride, reached Siva's place only to wake him from his slumber at 530'ish... He must have gotten used to see my face at his rear-door between 4AM-5AM, it was my 3rd time I guess...!!

After a quick talk, we go into the parking slot to find, mmm, whatever is left of a CJ3B. I got pretty scared - the last time I saw it, it looked exactly how Siva's 1st thread has it. Now it is a completely diff story.

Not to spook the already spooked Dev(dath) - I smiled and said lets start. Siva said not yet - and gave me some lessons on how to drive a Jeep - not A jeep - THIS Jeep.

Co-Driver needed to MAN a petrol filled Jerry-Can with a pipe hanging out from the dash - Dev was already - and the Driver needed to drive without a accelarator pedal - dont ask - I got used to it by now...

Then came out the 1-liter mineral water bottle with petrol in it - to take us to the nearest bunk @ 6ish in the morning. Oh I forgot - I also carried 5-6 Jerry cans (for fuel & water) inside some suitcases...

Dev manned the Explorer - Siva the Navigator - Me with the plastic bottle - and off we went, a few Km away to the nearest bunk...

To be Contd....
Old 11th August 2010, 16:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Co-Driver needed to MAN a petrol filled Jerry-Can with a pipe hanging out from the dash - Dev was already - and the Driver needed to drive without a accelarator pedal - dont ask - I got used to it by now...
At such a deadly hour in the morning, having such a beautiful task at hand, i would have had much more weird reacitons then Dev. This looks to be another killing adventure, please dont depreive us by taking intervals. Glued to this thread, so kindly post soon before i spoil my F5.
Old 11th August 2010, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thursday 1500HRS, I get an sms from SV Santosh: "What plans for the weekend Sir?"
I reply: "Nothing much, what about you?"
He replies: "Going to Chennai to pick up a petrol Jeep"
Santosh can narrate the rest...!!!
Devdath , Thanks Devdath for helping Sathosh to get the Jeep. He only mentioned that he is taking a friend with him. But now I know who was that anonymous friend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
5AM, Saturday. Guindy. ABT Last stop.

To be Contd....
Santosh, Thanks for sharing your adventure trip with my CJ3B.
Waiting for more updates.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dev manned the Explorer - Siva the Navigator - Me with the plastic bottle - and off we went, a few Km away to the nearest bunk...
Immdiately after the 1st turn out of Siva's home, I realized there is more to the story - the 2nd gear is non-existant, or so to speak. One needed luck, or extreme patience to engage 2nd... it would just not engage smoothly. Oh, and the gear changer did not have the round-bulb on the top... there was just the 5-6 threads to scratch your palm against, while busy'ly changing to 2nd...

Previous evening I had a short talk with our DwArF owner -Jaggu, on what to see in a CJ3B while driving on long trips... the important parameters, since the XDP4.9 isnt close to a HURRICANE; he forgot to tell me one important thing - make sure there is a Jeep in the 1st place...

Couple of left and rights later we slowy pulled into the bunk. We got busy emptying my suitcases of the jerry cans and filled a LOT of petrol, IIRC around 1000Rs of petrol in cans!!

After a quick BYE- off the CJ3B departed CHENNAI - Its home for more than a year... KEEP LEFT was the mantra. We had no clue what was in store, and had to hit the outskirts before 730~AM, though saturday, Chennai is bustling with traffic.

Initially we had a 5Ltr can in place with a semi-open spout to pop the petrol pipe in. Due to evaporation (so we thought) the tank got nearly empty before we crossed a good 20Km inside the city. Transferred from a larger can, and kept pushing ahead. 2nd gear started acting up, and I had to either start in 3rd from STOP or Rev in 1st and slot into 3rd... It was a circus until we hit the Poonamalle Outskirts.

We pulled into a hotel around 8AM~ and Dev had to hit the loo, meanwhile my pockets were filled with Rust. Both our scalps were full of RED FERROUS..!! One can sweat profusely even at 7AM in chennai, and my forearms were stuck with a lot of rust. Poor Dev..!! I decided to give him a little surprise and tool out my Tool Kit and started removing the softtop. It was screwed tight into the body... Dev came back and saw a beautiful CJ3B without a SoftTop, but still a lot of rust was to fly off in the upcoming Kms.

After a quick breakfast we hit the roads. I realized at this rate we would spend a LOT on fuel and decided to stop at all Bunks with a credit card facility and keep filling what EVER little Qty we have emptied earlier...

For some God Send Reason I decided not to empty the cash in hand!!

For the 1st time since the last 3~ hours, me and Dev really started to analyze/evaluate/appreciate/criticise the Hurricane...

It was One SMOOTH Engine, VERY VERY different from ANY diesel POWERED Jeep on today's Roads. I can safely say without ticking anyone here, It is as smooth as a Gypsy, if not better. All the creaks, cracks, squeaks are HIGHLighted in this JEEP than any other. Because - there is just no other NOISE to listed to. A constant HUMM of the Engine and the wind in your hair - Thats IT - Period.

Oh and I should say, this Jeep has no squeaks, creaks either. I came to know this later.

Once all the rust (leftover) flew off the top frame of the Jeep, Dev settled into a nice comfy position with one leg against the jerry can. Since it was the highway - I used my left ankle to support my right ankle, which in-turn reached out to a tiny metal rod hanging out beneath the dash, a good 5 inches off the floor - called a accelerator pedal.

Slowly my eyes levelled off the Road and I started to peep into the Jeep's cabin or whatever is left of it. Seats were very comfy I must say. The pedals look Original, with a small ridge on both the sides of a pedal, to hold a shoe in place. There were Numerous switches on the dash, sadly none worked. No headlights, no indicators, no Horn, no brakelights, no nothing. Just the silent Hurricane and 2 guys behind it, and miles of road ahead.

After a few bunks we started looking like a mobile bunk. There was fuel below the XD3P engine in the back, one Jerry hot-wired to pump below Dev's feet. One 2-liter bottle behind Dev's head on (so called) B-Pillar. Few water cans beneath driver seat...

Oh and if anyone has read Siva's thread, you would recollect this was a TN Govt Highways Dept Aution Jeep. The foldable Windscreen PROMINENTLY displays the dept name... and the front bumper carries a govt number plate with the asset number...

Toll gates on GQ/NH are not supposed to collect TOLL from any Govt/Ambulance/Defence Vehicle. The 1st Toll gate guy gave me a 5Rs Discount and let me pass without a Proper Toll receipt. I didnt bother a lot and moved on. The 2nd toll gate guy waved me off, me and dev had a good Laugh.

We never got to the next toll gate...

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th August 2010 at 19:45.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was One SMOOTH Engine, VERY VERY different from ANY diesel POWERED Jeep on today's Roads. I can safely say without ticking anyone here, It is as smooth as a Gypsy, if not better. All the creaks, cracks, squeaks are HIGHLighted in this JEEP than any other. Because - there is just no other NOISE to listed to. A constant HUMM of the Engine and the wind in your hair - Thats IT - Period.

Oh and I should say, this Jeep has no squeaks, creaks either. I came to know this later.

Oh and if anyone has read Siva's thread, you would recollect this was a TN Govt Highways Dept Aution Jeep. The foldable Windscreen PROMINENTLY displays the dept name... and the front bumper carries a govt number plate with the asset number...

Toll gates on GQ/NH are not supposed to collect TOLL from any Govt/Ambulance/Defence Vehicle. The 1st Toll gate guy gave me a 5Rs Discount and let me pass without a Proper Toll receipt. I didnt bother a lot and moved on. The 2nd toll gate guy waved me off, me and dev had a good Laugh.

You are right the Jeep's body and chassis requires some attention not the engine. I believe you realized it when you heard the hummmm sound of the engine.

I missed your story with the calls I made, man that is bad... I was thinking I will see a close picture of the places you received my calls.

LoL the toll gate information is new to me... I hope you had fun!
Old 11th August 2010, 20:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Santosh for the detailed travelogue.It is more exciting/adventurous than what you briefed me over the phone. Sorry Santosh and Dev. Both of you had to go through all these just bcos you tried to help a felloow Jeeper!

Guys, While we learn what Santhosh and Dev had to go through, let me share pics of the Hero in our story. . See the CJ3B with soft top removed.

Pics taken and shared by Santosh.

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1840.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1841.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1842.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1843.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1847.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1848.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1849.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1852.jpg

Its got a HURRICANE hustle under the hood! -Jeep Captain-dsc_1855.jpg

JC

Most Viewed