Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 22:23   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
We have mahindras in our family, both scorpios, 5yr (65k kms) and 8yrs (92k kms), no issues at all since purchased, its tank solid. The build quality is exemplary and A.S.S has been fantastic too. Lets not generalize here...it tends to show great present day companies in bad light! Having said that, there isnt one company that has all its customers rating it 10/10!!!
Precisely the point i was trying to make. Most of the world's products are made in China. Doesn't make them all bad.

All we were discussing was that the only current other car in the segment could be the Rio ( i still don't know if it comes in 4x4. If it doesn't, then the point's moot and i withdraw the comparison).
Old 29th July 2010, 22:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Precisely the point i was trying to make. Most of the world's products are made in China. Doesn't make them all bad.

All we were discussing was that the only current other car in the segment could be the Rio ( i still don't know if it comes in 4x4. If it doesn't, then the point's moot and i withdraw the comparison).
Tejas bhai, we are just exchanging our views on the thread and of course we do compare new vehilces with existing vehicles of the segment, and you are 100% right when the Jimny was compared to the Rio as the same segment vehicle and not otherwise.

i personally dont buy things made in china, they are substandard and cheap quality clones!
Old 29th July 2010, 22:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
@Spike, i think MM should offer some good value for money in Thar's pricing!
Vinod, can chip in with his inputs on the pricing front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
In terms of Quality, Reliability, A.S.S, etc, i'm still to here good things about Mahindra as well. Sorry Spikey & BD, nothing against M&M, just making a point.
Come on Doc, you need not be sorry, after all you have good intentions behind making such statements. Your points are well taken

Quote:
yeah i needed some refresher course in learning ABCD...1234

back to basics, i guess!
Enough of banter guys, can we get back to the topic please.

Spike
Old 29th July 2010, 22:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. It is Jimny...not Gimmy. The Jimny is superbly equipped to not just match but even beat the Jeeps you find in India. Throw in LSDs up front, Locking diffs in the rear and it will truly phenomenal off-road.
With those looks it wont sway away jeep owner even if it can go on top of everest on one tyre.
Old 29th July 2010, 23:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Back to the topic..

Jimny bests the Jeep and Gypsy when it comes to looks. I am absolutely besotted with it's quirky looks. It isn't particularly macho and neither is it feminine...it is just unique!

Can I have one in red pronto? Pretty please?

P.S - Is there any such thing as T.U.I? Typing Under the Influence of Jimny?

Last edited by Samurai : 30th July 2010 at 07:54.
Old 30th July 2010, 00:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Gimny is nothing but another name for Gypsy which in turn is another name for Samurai.

You do remember naming convention of Suzuki right. Everything from 800 to A-star is called Alto elsewhere. Our 1000 and esteem were Swift. Our Baleno is Esteem elsewhere.
You got the idea.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:11   #52
BHPian

why Jimny? what about capable K series and Diesel on a beautified the Gypsy itself? Jimny will be as small as a Rio which is commercially not so viable option in India.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Jimny is a 2 door and 4 seater, where as Rio is a 4 door 4/5 seater.

Jimny is petrol 1.3 80+ bhp, Rio is a diesel engine.

if Jimny gets launched well under 6L, im sure it will move some metal for maruti.

i will test drive one here in dxb and post some info here.
Old 30th July 2010, 02:21   #54
BHPian

With the alleged entry of the Jimny, do you think the gypsy will receive some upgrades too?
If they're giving the Jimny newer engines, maybe they'll do something similar to the gypsy too. No?
Old 30th July 2010, 03:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
first of all its J I M N Y and not JIMMY!

second, is it a good idea to compare Jimny with Thar?

And the name of this thread is.....what?
Old 30th July 2010, 09:23   #56
Team-BHP Support

I have said this long back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If Maruti brings the Suzuki Jimny DDiS 1.5 model, that will finish off Mahindra Thar even before it is launched. However, that may not be likely, the DDiS model is only available in LHD as of now.

I mean, the DDiS Jimny is exactly what we offroaders need. It as small as Santro, light as Gypsy, so it will fit into our offroad trails splendidly. And it can be used as family vehicle thanks to lockable cabin and comforts. Add some offroad accessories like lift-kits, sliders, skid plates & mud tyres. It will be the perfect family offroader we were waiting for ever. Even the petrol version would be acceptable in our given situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Jimny = The ideal mom's car to drop kids off at school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
And yes, I would not compare the Thar and Jimny simply because they cater to different target groups (Thar for the true-blue off-roader and Jimny for the urban bad road user - unlike the current Gypsy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
And oh yes, it can never compete with a JEEP!
Looks like you guys are not familiar with what Jimny can do. Do know that it has live axle with coil springs at both front and rear, something we all Jeepers dream about.

Check this:

Last edited by Samurai : 30th July 2010 at 09:32.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:33   #57
BHPian

Lol, Samurai saab

I still stick to my point that there would be a fair few women purchasers/admirers of the Jimny for its maneuverability and high visibility.

I admit that the Jimny can be a valid off road vehicle , but would Maruti sell the machine suitable for such customers ? . I think the THAR is capable of a lot more than the Jimny ( off the shelf ).

In short : There will be a vast difference on what you get when comparing just the Showroom specifications.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 30th July 2010 at 09:39.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:42   #58
Team-BHP Support

absynthguzzler, what makes you think Jimny is not as capable as Thar off the Shelf. Keep in mind I have driven Thar in offroad conditions. Being a 2-DR car, Jimny won't be a favourite for moms for dropping off kids. In offroad situation, I suspect that a DDiS Jimny can run circles around Thar, both being in stock conditions. DDiS Jimny has a huge advantage due to lesser weight and size, live axles, and superior torque-to-weight ratio.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
And the name of this thread is.....what?
i think i should have been more clearer in my reply.

i know i created this thread with that name, and the question about comparing the Thar and Jimny.

thats what i want to ask all the respected forum members, is it fair to compare Thar and Jimny?

Last edited by Parm : 30th July 2010 at 10:22.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:41   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
thats what i want to ask all the respected forum members, is it fair to compare Thar and Jimny?
It will be very fair. Both are yet to be launched in India. Both represent recent technology. Both are competent offroaders.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks