Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 18:04   #1216

Re: Maruti Gypsy Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Based on the above, I would not hurry with the top removal. The soft top may not look as cool as a front cabin cover, but it is very functional and removing it will mean permanently losing all shelter from the elements at the rear. Dust and Sun are two major issues that have to dealt with in India, even if it means looking a little less cool.
Thank you! My main problem is that my kayaks and board may not fit. Will keep this in mind and see what to do. I know what you mean. Makes sense
Old 25th January 2017, 19:34   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Arun
I honestly would recommend you buy your new tyres on Paytm - I ve done so for my Yeti and for my Gypsy as well.
Incredible savings through cash backs!
There are more details about my purchases and prices paid and photos etc on this thread and the Gypsy Queries thread.
With the savings made you can buy lots of fiddlywiddles for your new beast!
And indeed easily fund your new tyre fitment balancing and alignment as well!
The old tyres? Well OLX is probably your best bet to get shot of them!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 07:49   #1218

Yes, I wanted to know about pre-delivery inspection. Sorry bout the novice language. Will check on tyres right away.

You will get some basics mats (most probably Omni ones) from the dealer. You can always go for better ones like Michelin (here) as procured by Shankar.

Aren't 3d mats easier to remove and clean?

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st February 2017 at 08:58. Reason: Back to back post.
Old 28th January 2017, 19:11   #1219
Senior - BHPian

I went to JK Automobiles a highly reputed auto spare part shop in JC Road and then Popular Automobiles in Sarjapur road in a hunt for OEM MGP spare parts for my Gypsy.

Went and got the following today:

Right side rear leaf spring set
Left side rear leaf spring set
Rear Shock Absorbers from Monroe - Gas Filled.
Front Shock Absorbers from Monroe - Gas Filled.

A set of Rubber pedal covers which I immediately installed on the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals.

Also I got the windshield washer fluid can with its proper lid and had that fixed as well.

A thick rubber mat of 5 feet by 4 feet size which I have not cut and fitted in the rear luggage bay but have just draped there and curled the edges to form a sort of soft tray. Cost me 600 Rs. On top of this we can put the Yoga mats and form a perfect luggage tray surface for the rear bay of the Gypsy considering that anyway there are no seats in mine.

I also got a wrong part for the LH footboard runner cap - I got the rear one instead of a front one so I will change this by and by.

Similarly, I wanted to change the Windshield wiper arms and blades to new ones. Sadly the new type of arms and blades that I bought today do not fit the old 2002 Gypsy. So I ve got to either return these or do some jugaad to have them fitted on. Not decided what to do on this as yet.

I am planning to give the Gypsy for service on Monday and have its new suspension fitted.
I hope this will help in raising the rear right side to its proper height.

I also got a can of engine flush fluid which the garage mech has added into the oil tank. So that it rushes about with the oil when the vehicle is running and cleans up the innards in time for Monday's engine oil change. It flushes the engine completely when the oil is changed.

Then I picked up a canister of highly recommended engine oil additive which coats the pistons and rings and the sleeve inside in order to deliver a much healthier compression from the engine.
This needs to be added in when the oil is getting changed on Monday.
It works rather like that old Nulon coating we used to use in the old Ambys.

All these parts set me back by about Rs 12500/-

The engine additive alone was Rs 3095/-

The leaf springs cost about Rs 2400 each set of four springs. Made by Toyo. OEM Maruti Gypsy parts.
The Monroe Gas Shocks cost Rs 900 each.

I wont be changing the suspension bush kit this time unless I have to, because I just changed them a month ago.

While the engine oil was also changed a month ago, I shall have to do it again on account of the additive.

Im hoping that with all this work, the Gypsy, especially its ride and suspension and engine, will start singing sweetly again!

Looking forward to Monday evening when the work ought to be done and dusted!

If need be, I am ready to change the front leaf springs also to brand new ones. But only if required.

Im planning to keep all the old ones for the time being in case one or two things can work sometime as spares in case of emergencies.
Old 28th January 2017, 21:23   #1220
BHPian

Don't know if it's the correct thread to post this, am in the process of printing some stickers for my yet to be delivered Gypsy.

Maruti Gypsy Pictures-length-width.jpg

Can someone help me the dimensions mentioned in the above image; ie the length of panel between the groove in the rear panel and the width of panel between the groove and the Petrol tank edge.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th January 2017, 21:29   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Don't know if it's the correct thread to post this, am in the process of printing some stickers for my yet to be delivered Gypsy.

Attachment 1600933

Can someone help me the dimensions mentioned in the above image; ie the length of panel between the groove in the rear panel and the width of panel between the groove and the Petrol tank edge.

Thanks in advance.

20 cm width
25 cm height

I just saw your post and measured this aspect on my 2002 Gypsy King.
The essential dimensions in the Gypsy havent changed in all these years so I think you can go with this measurement.

Cool_dube has a brand new Gypsy so he can probably measure and corroborate.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:43   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
20 cm width
25 cm height
Thanks a lot brother. The Body Panels, except the bonnet I presume have remained unchanged since the launch of MG410.
Old 29th January 2017, 04:57   #1223
Senior - BHPian

The original Gypsy MG410 in 1986, came with the 970 CC engine and a Narrow Track.
In 1991 or so they introduced the Wider Track - increased the vehicle's width by 100mm for better stability. It was called the MG410W. The newer Gypsys launched around 1995 onwards are distinguished by their G13 BA engine. Carb engine. 1.3 King. This was also a Wide Track. MG413W.
In 2000 they launched the G 13BB engine Mpfi 1.3 King. Again MG413W.
And yes, other than the bonnet which has a pronounced hump, the rest of the body has remained more or less the same.
Your concern would mainly be the dies and panels and the pressed mouldings of these panels on account of the dies.
These havent changed since 1986 as far as I know.
Old 29th January 2017, 21:05   #1224
BHPian

Folks

Any idea which dealer in Bangalore can provide a TD of the Gypsy.

I tried Bimal, but the saleguy outright said - Sir, no dealer has Gypsy TD vehicle, and even if you book you will get the vehicle after probably 10 months.

Any leads?

OTOH, Mahindra is actively selling its Thar, yet to TD, but they are willing and have dedicated people who handle only Thar. What a difference?

cheers
lazy
Old 29th January 2017, 21:47   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Any idea which dealer in Bangalore can provide a TD of the Gypsy.
TD for the Gypsy?! You got to be kidding me buddy. You will be lucky if you get to TD one in your dreams

Quote:
I tried Bimal, but the saleguy outright said - Sir, no dealer has Gypsy TD vehicle, and even if you book you will get the vehicle after probably 10 months.
He is right! Wait period can vary from 3-8 months, depending on order accumulation from across India. Moreover, with the Army pulling the plug on the Gypsy, no. of orders are likely to dwindle even further now. In fact, it may soon go out of production.

Quote:
OTOH, Mahindra is actively selling its Thar, yet to TD, but they are willing and have dedicated people who handle only Thar. What a difference?
Do not compare the 2 vehicles, my friend. Their positioning (if there is one for the Gypsy ) are totally different. I suggest you TD the Thar, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th January 2017 at 21:48.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 22:58   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
TD for the Gypsy?! You got to be kidding me buddy. You will be lucky if you get to TD one in your dreams

He is right! Wait period can vary from 3-8 months, depending on order accumulation from across India. Moreover, with the Army pulling the plug on the Gypsy, no. of orders are likely to dwindle even further now. In fact, it may soon go out of production.

Do not compare the 2 vehicles, my friend. Their positioning (if there is one for the Gypsy ) are totally different. I suggest you TD the Thar, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your prompt response.

The only reason I compare is because they are the only two such vehicles at such price point.
Such vehicle meaning - vehicles that I wanted to own since I was a kid (apart from the Safari). And exude a certain philosophy - simple, mechanical, utilitarian and long lasting.

Given that dealer TD isn't possible. What can be my next best option?

cheers
lazy
Old 30th January 2017, 05:42   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Scout through Carwale. Find a dealer nearby who maybe selling an used Gypsy. And ask him for a TD.
There is no way you will get a TD of a brand new Gypsy at this moment unless it is a private vehicle.
Old 30th January 2017, 08:51   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun K Vaddi View Post
Thank you! My main problem is that my kayaks and board may not fit. Will keep this in mind and see what to do. I know what you mean. Makes sense
Pull up the rear cover, put your stuff in the back, pull the rear down again, and use the press buttons and the zipper to the extent you can, and you are good to go once you have addressed the hazard of things jutting out from the back of the car - which you would have to do even with the top deleted permanently.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 19:56   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Gypsy Pictures

So Ive got the Gypsy back now from Green Cars Koramangala, after having replaced the rear leaf springs and replaced all four shock absorbers too.

The vehicle height has increased quite a bit.
Yet, when measuring the distance between the tyre bottom and the centrepoint of the wheel arch, the left side measures 83cm and the right side measures 81cm.

Before fitment of the brand new leaf springs (OEM Toyo) they were re cambered upto 6.5 inches on both sides.

Saying this, the Gypsy definitely feels better to ride in with the new leaf springs and the new shock absorbers.

I have had the engine oil flushed completely and replaced the oil filter as well.

We ve now filled up with fresh Mobil Synthetic oil which cost 1350 per litre.

I ve also added in the metal conditioner fluid into the oil tank and the vehicle's engine does feel smoother and less noisy (this may be paychological) so I will wait for a while longer before passing judgement.

We have also changed all the spark plugs and I have been told to change the battery too quite soon for better enhanced performance.

Else the Gypsy continues soldiering on.

Let me use it for a while and see how the behaviour is overall.

I ve burned another Rs 11000 on this servicing job!
Looks like my Gypsy is going to drink money like it drinks petrol!

Lets see!
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786149.515655.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786166.323752.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786184.080671.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786199.070970.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786214.127860.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786230.437515.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786253.714486.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786317.064216.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786342.184172.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786358.767502.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th January 2017 at 20:08.
Old 30th January 2017, 21:54   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Side profile.
The wheel wells and arches are certainly higher set than earlier after the new leaf
Springs and new Shock Absorbers have been installed.

Before:
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485793293.067954.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485793395.276811.jpg
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485793417.129486.jpg
Now:
Maruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485793321.372951.jpgMaruti Gypsy Pictures-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485793339.106945.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks