Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 15:28   #61
BHPian

Hi Nitin,

I had taken them from Mayapuri for 1000/- and got them installed there itself (Hukum Singh). They are performing without any trouble so far.

I have noticed considerable difference in the free drifting/ wheeling when they are NOT engaged. Minute difference in pick-up too. Some people have also informed me of better fuel economy, however I have not gauged that.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 9th April 2010, 16:39   #62
BHPian

Hi Guys,

We are back! Its been too long. Could not update due to some movement in life.

Anyway, me and Bushranger had a great time at the Storm, and I am happy to report that we covered the entire rally route of approx 3300 km without even needing to open to the bonnet. Though I was pretty sure of its capabilities, now I am very proud of my creation! Bushranger has passed the litmus test of reliability.

I just got the usuals service & washing, and its back in prime shape.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 9th April 2010, 16:48   #63
BHPian

Hi,

I have recently installed an RPM meter in thee Bushranger. It is a 5" Sunpro Super Tech III model with Blue shift-light.

A friend was kind enough to get it for me from USA (without charging me till date ).

The device is working perfectly.

Cheeers!

ashish
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-img01044201003241152.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-img01047201003241227.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 10:11   #64
BHPian

Hi Ashish !!

Its good to know that the Bushranger has finally attained the relieability that you always wanted. Wish you many more exciting events like the DS'10 to be enjoyed in your priced possesion.
regard,
Old 24th May 2010, 00:25   #65

Rebuildig Gypsy 94

Hi Friends, though i never wrote on T-BHP but i am a regular reader of expert's comments and advice on various topics.

After Reading the whole story through which Ashish has gone through i can think of the pain he has taken for his regular visits to mayapuri.
But as we all said if end is good all is good. Happy to know abt Ashish's recent 3000 km drive w/o any proble.

Friends i am also planning to have one Gypsy for my upcoming trip to Leh in June 2010 (have been their 2 times by Alto)
So dont have enough time neither enough money to spend on modifications.
So needed ur help if anyone have any Reliable Gypsy for sale which i can drive in terrin, sand, snow and ofcourse in city too.

I recently saw 94 model soft top with a dealer in munirka who got it from an Auction of Army in march 2010for Rs 70000 + 12.5% tax = 78500.
The condition is OK, engine is smooth and no sound at all, But is giving smoke as dealer was telling me its on stand still from long time.He is asking for 1.05L, so pls suggest me what would be a good deal.

Ashish, it would be of great help if i can get ur No. as i wasnt some tips to buy a used Gypsy.

Vicky Rana
New Delhi
Old 24th May 2010, 11:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

What a Love story with your ride Ashish. I really appreciate your patience and your decision in not finally selling it off.

@Vicky - I've sent you a PM . Do respond.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky.rana View Post
I recently saw 94 model soft top with a dealer in munirka who got it from an Auction of Army in march 2010for Rs 70000 + 12.5% tax = 78500.
The condition is OK, engine is smooth and no sound at all, But is giving smoke as dealer was telling me its on stand still from long time.He is asking for 1.05L, so pls suggest me what would be a good deal.

Ashish, it would be of great help if i can get ur No. as i wasnt some tips to buy a used Gypsy.

Vicky Rana
New Delhi
Hey Vicky
1.05lacs is too high a price for a 1.0 Carb Gypsy.
Even if the vehicle is registered I think that the price is quite high. A friend of mine recently picked up an ex-army 1.3 Carb for 1.25 lacs, in working condition. He just did a customary oil change, plonk in a new battery and some other thing, and wolla the vehicle is running quite well. I wouldn't say perfect but quite well.

My advise, good deals are out there but you would have to do the ground work yourself. Go hunt, talk around and one day you would definitely find a vehicle that would suit your requirements.
Cheers
Old 28th September 2010, 16:41   #68
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thought of updating you all of the latest on my Bushranger affair, since it has been a few months.

Bushranger has been performing brillinatly. Infact, after the basic service post Desert Storm, we have not seen the mechanic/ workshop in last 6-7 months. We have participated in atleast 10 OTRs since then, including the NIOC's annual Monsoon Challenge, without any problem. The vehicle has done 5000 km since then, and continues to amaze me with its capabilities!

Now, it is time to start the Stage - II of the restoration, for performance upgrade to the next level.

I have read many threads, and experiences of engine swaps & problems related to the reliability and have decided to retain my carb engine setup. Instead, in Stage - II am upgrading the performance with the following:

1. Original Gypsy carb, with oversize jets (size 140/150, as per tuner)
2. Stock replacement K&N filter (conical not recommended due to my frequent OTRs involving water crossing)
3. Mid range headers (2500 - 4500 RPM peak performance)
4. FFE with lowest possible boom sound
5. New OEM radiator, with electric fan

Total expense estimate of 25K. Hope to get my vehicle ready by this weekend. Will update on the end results as soon as possible.

Cheers!!

ab

Ps: enclosing a few recent photographs
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-40063_422157632263_824932263_4494313_7166162_n.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-44985_142952812408652_112333682137232_179662_7948017_n.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-46154_422232582263_824932263_4496501_5886368_n.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29th September 2010, 11:36   #69
BHPian

Hi Ashish

This is good news. So you are retaining the Bushranger. it is an excellent vehicle and you have kept it very nicely.

Gypsy is the easiest 4x4 vehicle to live with. You service it and drive it, beit OTR or Rally or dalily drive. It is just brilliant!

Hope to hear about you feedback on the performance mods soon. Where are you getting the job done from? I am not a big fan of K&N (or any other make) performance filtes for offroading. The conditions are far toooo dusty. In comparison to OEM paper filters, K&N lets in more dirt and thereby in a country like India which is dusty to start with, then you add the inherent dust in off road events, you are basically murdering the engine. You would see rally driver use K&N but how long does their engine last?? There is an engine rebuild after each Rally!! Do everything else but please dont do this for offroading.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 20th October 2010, 08:31   #70
BHPian

Hey go slow and Bushranger i saw both of you during the monsoon challenge however did not come and say Hi as i was with other friends of mine just to show them this side of the world and moreover i had not officially chatted with you guys.

I won a bid yesterday for a gypsy and am going to join the gang soon.

@Bushranger - I'm really impressed and happy with your perseverance in making the bush what it is now. Hats off to you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks