Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Managed to go over to the Concept car Co. of Jasvinder on 25th in the evening. Found jas carrying out spray painting of components himself. Way to go man. Thanks a lot to Jas for spending so much time and answering all my queries. While I was at his workshop i got to look arround and saw Naveen's jeep. a lot of paint work still needs to be done, maybe another week or ten days. There was another jeep with a beautiful deep metallic color which incidentally belongs to jasvinder himself. Since there's work pending on both of them, my turn will have to wait. Meanwhile the 6x16 NDMS that i was so frantically searching for may finally be made available to me this week. That means that work on my 3B is likely to start only by Nov first week.

Sharad@ saw your white 3B - it looks great

looking for suggestions regarding the paint scheme of my 3B. Would prefer one of the shades used by the armed forces, preferably the dirty yellow/dust shade used by the desert core.

atul
Old 27th October 2009, 15:00   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Atul Singh - that's a good CJ3B Jeep you got with you. Please restore it carefully. Please contact Harjeev of this forum who will put you in touch with Sidhir Kashyap. Please do not entrust your vehicle with anybody, it will get spoilt. Also ref your post no 15, the BA10 transmission with transfer case is just too long to package in the CJ3B. You will have no place left to fit the rear propeller shaft.

Dear Diesel Maniac - ref your post no 19, the KMT90 is originally a Mazda design, adapted by KIA. If you adapt the KMT90 in place of the 3 speed, the transmission mounting cross member will move back by 1 and 15/64 inches.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th October 2009, 15:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Diesel Maniac - ref your post no 19, the KMT90 is originally a Mazda design, adapted by KIA. If you adapt the KMT90 in place of the 3 speed, the transmission mounting cross member will move back by 1 and 15/64 inches.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thats an information to me! This is the precise reason i dont miss your posts in 4x4 section!

I have seen MM550 with BA10 landing on thier belly sooner than KMT 90 counterparts as the cross member moves backwords and reduces breakover angle. Never knew KMT 90 was longner than 3 speed gearbox!
Old 27th October 2009, 20:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod - of course 4 speed gearbox has to be different from 3 speed gearbox. How do you get the place to incorporate the 4th gear? Kya Yaar!

The data of cross member shift by 1 inch 15/64 is from 1981 when I converted the first prototype CJ4A4WD from 3 speed to KMT90 when we had recieved the first 2 gearboxes from Korea. The data is in my head as if I did this work yesterday. The registration number of the vehicle was MRH4410. It was a blue vehicle with Roplas "President" model FRP top (high rear roof, subsequently it was made sleeker and it was called "Chieftan"). It used to run daily between Kandivli and Ghatkopar plants / Worli office / Head office as a mail vehicle. We did not have E mails / faxes in those days. We used to use duplicate note books and send copies in "use me" brown envelopes across to each other. Even with all these archiac methods by today's standards, we used to deliver more work output per person in those days as compared to today.

Incidentally, the difference between a CJ4 and a CJ4A, both having same wheelbase is in the additional rear overhang of around 4 inches in the CJ4A, which was required to route the exhaust pipe outlet perpendicular to car centre line as required for soft top vehicles, to prevent exhaust gases from being sucked inside the vehicle due to partial vacuum created behind it. It was also used to package the fuel tank at the back. The original CJ3B had its exhaust outlet at 45 degrees to car centre line. The rear cross member was shorter on one side for this. Look closely at original CJ3B. You will see all this and you will get many many more surprises. I eternally salute the brains of the persons who made original the CJ3B.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th October 2009 at 20:22.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vinod - of course 4 speed gearbox has to be different from 3 speed gearbox. How do you get the place to incorporate the 4th gear? Kya Yaar!

The data of cross member shift by 1 inch 15/64 is from 1981 when I converted the first prototype CJ4A4WD from 3 speed to KMT90 when we had recieved the first 2 gearboxes from Korea. The data is in my head as if I did this work yesterday. The registration number of the vehicle was MRH4410. It was a blue vehicle with Roplas "President" model FRP top (high rear roof, subsequently it was made sleeker and it was called "Chieftan"). It used to run daily between Kandivli and Ghatkopar plants / Worli office / Head office as a mail vehicle. We did not have E mails / faxes in those days. We used to use duplicate note books and send copies in "use me" brown envelopes across to each other. Even with all these archiac methods by today's standards, we used to deliver more work output per person in those days as compared to today.

Incidentally, the difference between a CJ4 and a CJ4A, both having same wheelbase is in the additional rear overhang of around 4 inches in the CJ4A, which was required to route the exhaust pipe outlet perpendicular to car centre line as required for soft top vehicles, to prevent exhaust gases from being sucked inside the vehicle due to partial vacuum created behind it. It was also used to package the fuel tank at the back. The original CJ3B had its exhaust outlet at 45 degrees to car centre line. The rear cross member was shorter on one side for this. Look closely at original CJ3B. You will see all this and you will get many many more surprises. I eternally salute the brains of the persons who made original the CJ3B.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,
Thats a hell lot of information from you in just one post. As Vinod said. I also try to read all your post possible.

Keep Sharing those amazing pieces of information We all are eagerly looking forward for it.

I also have a question.. from which year to which year M&M produced CJ4 and CJ4A's and how many? And what were their specs like engine GB etc?

Thanks
Shibu Varghese
Old 28th October 2009, 23:03   #36
BHPian

Dear Behram Dhabhar,
The technical insight given by you regarding the gear box configuration is great.

As for the combination on my 3B, I've decided to rebuild it to the nearest original practically possible-the T-90, T-18, 6x16 NDMS and original body work. However based on the experiences of other jeepers regarding the fuel pump reliability, i may install a substitute electrical pump as a stand by...just in case. As for getting in touch with Sudhir Kashyap, I've already talked to him earlier this month reagrding the bodywork & painting and e-mailed him the snaps of the jeep. Will try to talk to him again and in case he agrees, to finalise the modalities. as for the mechanicals, i'm not sure whether SK still has petrol experts and also the flexibility since i'll have to get a scrap hurricane engine and many other parts from mayapuri for the purpose. Its only when i visit his setup that i shall decide. As for the body shop & paint facility and his passion for jeeps, i've already got harjeev and Amit(NIOC) rooting for him.

Regards,
atul
Old 29th October 2009, 11:41   #37
BHPian

Atul,

I second Behram sir's suggestions. Please take your JEEP to Mr. Sudhir Kashyap's workshop. Rest assured, it would be brought to life with utmost care and professionalism. People like UBS, Mr. Kashyap and Behram sir have lived with JEEPs more than you or me have. They know what they are doing.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:39   #38
BHPian

Thanks Sabareesh,
Thanks pal, I'll take your advice without any further delay.

Regards,
atul
Old 31st October 2009, 20:04   #39
BHPian

Was over to meet Sudhirji a couple of days back to finalise the start of my project. Since i was meeting him for the first time i was sceptical, but the straight forward nature and Sudhir Kashyap's passion for jeeps removed all my fears. Now i know my 3B will be in good hands. Tomorrow i'll be taking my 3B to his Mahindra First Choice workshop. Lets see whether it can last the distance of 40 odd km that i'll be driving it. I plan to get it restored to what it was originally manufactured to...no frills or chromes for me, i prefer the old simple classic looks of the 3B. The texture and design of the canvas cover is something i'm still not clear about, maybe once the options available are clear then it'll be easier to decide.

While i was with SK, i discussed the feasability of fitting 100/90 halogens in the headlight beam to improve night performance. I plan to use the 100/90W 12V halonix+60 bulbs in the head light. He had his reservations about using a relay and its effect on the harness and i need to be aware about the pros and cons before i finalise it. Can the alternator handle the extra load and can the reflectors take the extra heat? Is there really a danger of the steering stalk combination switch meltdown because of the extra current? I've been using these bulbs in my Versa with amazing effect- I think it now outshines a lot of the modern upmarket cars in terms of beam intensity and penetration. Pitch dark on the NH-1 it is possible to safely do 100-120 kmph with adequate safety margins. Since i regularly do a lot of evening drives and pre dawn and post dusk moves these have virtually been manna for me. Till now i have'nt faced any problems in the last 7 months that i have installed the upgraded system in the Versa. what kind of problems am i likely to face in using the same in my 3B. In case i need to upgrade the alternator what are the options open and the likely costs...

Is it asking for too much guys?

Regards,
atul
Old 2nd November 2009, 07:28   #40
BHPian

My 3Bee goes to the Mahindra workshop finally

After waiting for more than a month i took the plunge of starting restoration of my jeep by driving it doen to SK's Mahindra First Choice workshop in North Delhi on 1st November. In my haste forgot to take the camera but would try to make amends and do that today. Could'nt meet Sudhir in his workshop yesterday but his D/P expert received the vehicle and went around explaining how they would proceed with the job. It may take anything around a month to finish the jeep and i would try and keep all of you interested buddies posted on the progress. First thing is i have to source a hurricane engine... seems things are really begining to warm up now. And with the drop in temp. my visits to Mayapuri are surely going to see an increasing trend.

Regards,
atul
Old 6th November 2009, 22:17   #41
BHPian

Went back to the workshop on 3rd Nov to click snaps of my 3BEE. The Body tub and panels had been taken off the chassis which was then taken for a intensive jet cleaning followed by scraping of stubborn muck and then another round of jet cleaning. The same was then moved to the under ground area where the engine, gear box/Tc etc. are to be dismantled. The project has been put on the back burner because sudhir has a commitment to complete the body switchover of another jeep.
maybe a wait of another week or so. I'll try to keep on updating as and when the work progresses.

atul
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-001.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-002.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-004.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-009.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-015.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-016.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-019.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-021.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-029.jpg  

Jeep from Yamuna Nagar-jeep-03112009-039.jpg  

Old 6th November 2009, 23:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Get rid the shocks ASAP, i did that contraption way back in 1999 to increase my bike's height. In a CJ!!! noooo.
Old 7th November 2009, 01:02   #43
BHPian

Santosh@- do you mean to say that the CJ3B was not designed with shock absorbers. But on the chassis the SA brackets seem to be there from the begining? And if i remember correctly, the CJ500D also had this in exactly the same place. Did Mahindra come up with this modification to improve the ride quality?

Regards,
atul
Old 7th November 2009, 09:37   #44
BHPian

Congratulations Atul !! The work on the beauty has finally begun.

Santosh is actually referring to the pics of rear shock absorbers. Look closely and compare the difference with the front shocks and you will get the point. Actually another round piece has been welded to the shocker to increase the height of the vehicle. He is asking to get rid of this welded piece.

regards
Old 7th November 2009, 21:33   #45
BHPian

Thanks Jasvinder. Just goes to show that you can really pick up knowledge as you go.
Regards,
atul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks