Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 21:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tarkesh,

Like I said in my first post, it was talking to people like you that I came to such a decision.

There are so many online ads for Jeeps, and not 1 is still available. Some ads are more than 2 years old.

None of these sites have a clean up mechanism.

Running into lot of dead ends. :(
Old 20th May 2009, 21:09   #47
BANNED

I came across a MM540/95 model, grey color, 4x4.
Owner is asking ~ 1.7L, deal could be made for ~ 1.5L.
Don't know whether this is the right price but seems high to me.
Old 21st May 2009, 00:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Definately high if its a bone stock MM540. Please let me know ASAP where to go see/inspect vehicle?
Old 21st May 2009, 08:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Ironwolf, would you like to check this out ? Had seen it with a dealer in BTM ..

Attachment 137446

@Star_Aqua : yes, the same one. Was still there last week. No further visits from this side.
This one is a posers JEEP. Its got the colour, the tyres the looks, something you can buy and keep riding on city roads for the looks.

JEEPwise its totally confusing. It comes across as a CJ-2A low bonnet, but the headlights are too big and the steering is too high. Also the front fenders are not flat fenders but those found on the MAJOR and CL-D JEEPS from MAHINDRA.

You'll get appreciation from the girls and the ignorant, but JEEP guys would give you a thumbs down.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
JEEPwise its totally confusing. It comes across as a CJ-2A low bonnet, but the headlights are too big and the steering is too high. Also the front fenders are not flat fenders but those found on the MAJOR and CL-D JEEPS from MAHINDRA.
I passed such jeeps even before it was posted.
Basically you can confirmed that its a jugaad jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Vaspro others, if you can direct me to this Kanakpura dealer it would be great. As mentioned in my first post, I could not find this so called Kanakpura road dealer. 2 people seemed to know what I asked. However when I went to that location it was abandoned and the guy close by said they closed down.

Is the place you mentioned still open? if so directions please.
Friends, Jeepers and Bangalore men > Someone point me to this so called Kanakapura Jeep dealer?
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:39   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TheARUN : It comes across as a CJ-2A low bonnet, but the headlights are too big and the steering is too high. Also the front fenders are not flat fenders but those found on the MAJOR and CL-D JEEPS from MAHINDRA.
Found better pics of the Major 4x4 here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...major-4x4.html

Dont know yet about the steering : will have to observe that next time I see a jeep, but the bonnet part was easy to figure out.

Or was this modified to be a low bonnet ?
Old 5th June 2009, 08:55   #52
BHPian

Mm540

Dan,

I slight ray of hope. I was rushing to my Home town last night. On the way to Bansavadi Railway station (The road which is parallel to Railway track) i have seen atleast 3-4 MM5XX Parked along the way. Some of them seems to be parked there since a long time. Some of them are modified as well (Roll Cage, Hard Top et all). I do not know if any of them are 4WD since i was rushing in a hurry. But i have never seen so many parked togather (seems to be a Jeep enthu around). If you have already checcked out the place, then forget it. I will try to call you late in the evening.

All the Best
--Sree--
Old 5th June 2009, 20:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well just when I was going to search from my (now old) thread, its being revived by Sree.

Thanks for the insight. I know the place you are talking about. Its quite close to home, on that bend next to the station. However thought that was a lowly chop shop and that they would quote the moon even if they had any to offer.

Will check with them anyway.

Reached many many dead ends over the last week.

What I have learnt?

a) People dont clean up their old ads online.
b) Indian Sites dont have a policy to clean up ads/rule to keep ads only for 7-30days
c) mechanics who say they will find out and get back - are shooting in the dark
d) Other KA options (Coorg/Chikbalapur etc) are highly overpriced
e) All Jeeps with dealers in Bangalore only have fancy 2WD Rust buckets with a fresh coat of Red/Yellow/Army Green/Army Brown paint. All want 1.25-1.75L for..

f) All advice and common sense lead to KL. <Search is on..>
Old 17th June 2009, 18:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

After another 12 days, not much progress. :( :(

I visited Babu's Garage near Urvashi theater. Found a couple of Willys and MMs being worked on and an extremely clean and inviting 550... Not for sale!

This 550 had a Winch, HiLift fitted at the rear and engine missing. They were added a 2.5L Bolero engine (to a MM550?). It had a Mahindra Great Escape sticker and Team Bhp sticker. I think he said its Vijay Kumars.

Anyway the garage said there was a '95 model 4WD available.
Also that if I got a 2WD they could easily convert it to 4WD. First time I could felt confident that such a garage could actually do it.

Am going to see the 95 model on Saturday morning. Anyone familiar with MMs, please join me?

Anyone know of any other MM5x0s going on sale?
Old 28th June 2009, 17:22   #55
BHPian

Hi Iron wolf
the 550 you checked in babu garage is my vehicle,sorry its not for sale,its their because i am not in stastion, and reason its in garage is for replacement of new XD3P engine,its not with bolero engine, it came from factory with XD3P and BA 10 gear box.
Old 28th June 2009, 18:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Swastik ji, thanks for revealing yourself I have PMed you.

Option 1 : Well Shabeer and Babu are yet to show me that elusive '95, they assure me it is available waiting for me. Monday morning (tomorrow) I will be going to see it at their Garage. Fingers crossed.

Option 2: There is also another option 'of a 92 model little over my budget that I am considering.

Option 3: Then there is another member from bangalore urging me to join him to mayapuri to get a Army 550 down. Arrgghh, why is getting a decent jeep so difficult? Why?
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Iron wolf
the 550 you checked in babu garage is my vehicle,sorry its not for sale,its their because i am not in stastion, and reason its in garage is for replacement of new XD3P engine,its not with bolero engine, it came from factory with XD3P and BA 10 gear box.
Vijay Sir, I again oggled at your jeep at Babus place. The new XD3P engine was lying in a corner all clean and ready to be plonked in. I could not find space to see your Composite Leaf Springs.

Through Shabeer's contacts, I did see a decent condition '95 model 540 4WD - MP Registered ex-State vehicle. KA Tax paid. Asking 95k inclusive of transfer. Little issues of rust which can be handled.. but somehow not too keen on this.
The elusive MM540 / 550. EDIT: New Search for ex-Army 550 on page 9-dsc01756.jpg

Seems like I am talking to myself on this thread. Give me some leads people. Not a single decent 550, at a reasonable rate? :(
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:35   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hint!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Not a single decent 550, at a reasonable rate?
Hi Daniel (IIRC)

Too Many Variables.

If you want a MM550XDB then go to Coorg and pickup something.

I wouldn't suggest picking up something from out of state (KL,AP,TN).

Regards,

Arka
Old 2nd July 2009, 14:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arka,

Problem with Coorg is who ever I checked with were only able to find highly priced rust buckets.

If you have any contacts do let me know.

Daniel (YRC
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Ironwolf... just finished reading from post1-59. My 2 cents below...

Mustafa (virajpet) - 98454 - 96383

Tell him Suresh Chengappa from HoneyValley Estate (Kabbinakkad) referred him...

PS - I DONT know Mustafa, when i had been to HoneyValley, I was told by Suresh (owner) that he negotiates and buys many Jeeps from this person.

So if its another dead end - I am sorry, but fingers crossed.

Let me know what you find out...

regds
Santosh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks