Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:34   #121
Senior - BHPian

Yeah soumen,
I agree with renegade. Lets see some of the pic. Pl post of the work in progress.
Decided anything onthe tyres yet???
Old 4th June 2009, 15:19   #122
BHPian

I agree with Harjeev and Mandeep - lets see some pics and an update on the jeep. What colour? What tyres? did you find the seats you were after?

cheers
Ankit
Old 5th June 2009, 09:47   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I agree with Harjeev and Mandeep - lets see some pics and an update on the jeep. What colour? What tyres? did you find the seats you were after?

cheers
Ankit
well,i will take this opportunity to update kandisa's thread.yes,the base coat of the paint has been done on the jeep after the fabrication part,roll-cage has been built but needs to be powder coated,seats have been bought,tyres and rims are yet to bought as we thought of getting the jeep on the road first and test for few days and then go for the tyres and stuff.The paint me and kandisa is keen on is metallic grey sort with black top and black powder coated wheels.We liked black and grey theme so went with the variation.We would be fabricating a custom tail gate and a swing-away tire rack mounted onto the chassis as i simply dont like tyres mounts fixed onto the jeep body,on chassis you get better strength.So basically this is the current status of the jeep,rest kandisa will update with his version real soon.

cheers

mandeep
Old 5th June 2009, 12:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
well,i will take this opportunity to update kandisa's thread.yes,the base coat of the paint has been done on the jeep after the fabrication part,roll-cage has been built but needs to be powder coated,seats have been bought,tyres and rims are yet to bought as we thought of getting the jeep on the road first and test for few days and then go for the tyres and stuff.The paint me and kandisa is keen on is metallic grey sort with black top and black powder coated wheels.We liked black and grey theme so went with the variation.We would be fabricating a custom tail gate and a swing-away tire rack mounted onto the chassis as i simply dont like tyres mounts fixed onto the jeep body,on chassis you get better strength.So basically this is the current status of the jeep,rest kandisa will update with his version real soon.

cheers

mandeep
Thats great
I will love to see the jeep in person. Will call you tomorrow and fixup a time and place. Will you be going to the workplace tomorrow?
Old 5th June 2009, 13:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Well,
1st of all extremely sorry for not updating the status for quite a long time. Lots of work has been done in between. All because of Mandeep's effort (standing at the workshop for hours everyday and shuttling between places in this scorching summer!) as I am able to go to the workshop only on weekends!
To start with, we decided to modify the body to some extent to make it look better. The door area was made tapered, some job was done on the bonnet to make it identical to the CJ. Also the rear floors were replaced with brand new ones.
The body was taken off the chasis and this was the condition after initial body work
The story of my jeep: MM 440-1.jpg

The replaced floors
The story of my jeep: MM 440-2.jpg

Work on the chasis to clean it up properly and smoothening the surfaces to get ready for paint
The story of my jeep: MM 440-3.jpg

The chasis after cleaning, though there was not much of rust formation. It was done with the machine-operated wire wheel in stead of manual cleaning & sanding. The whole chasis was prepared in almost 1/5th time. The workshop folks were really happy when mandeep showed them how to do it, as it reduced their workload a lot!
The story of my jeep: MM 440-4.jpg

The differentials were taken off to paint separately. The rear diff being cleaned:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-5.jpg

The shockers after cleaning and painting:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-6.jpg

Part of the tank:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-tank.jpg

The colour for the chasis was decided to be in mat black, and this is how it looks:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-7.jpg

I don't have the pic of the full chasis after it was painted, as it was completed the next day.
After the chsis was painted, the body was brought back on it and the final work on the body was started. The surface was smoothened and body fillers were applied. The filler was Esdee based dry one in stead of the conventional wet based ones. This hardens very soon and it really takes some effort to sand & chip it out properly. Mandeep was really finicky about the details and the finishing and finally it came out quite good. The modifications on the cowl and the bonnet were also done. Meanwhile we got a roll cage fabricated from 2.5" CRC pipe and rectangular plates were fabricated to mount the same on the body.
The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03056.jpg

Another snap:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc03059.jpg

The jeep with the rollcage:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-image54.jpg

So after all these, finally the body was ready to get the paintjob. The base coat was done last week and here are couple of snaps.

The coat being prepared:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-3_1.jpg

Fender before paint
The story of my jeep: MM 440-fend1.jpg

And this is how it looked after the paint:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-fend2.jpg

The bonnet, before and after:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-bonnt1.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-bonnt2.jpg

The body being moved for the paint:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-moving.jpg

And it turns out to be:
The story of my jeep: MM 440-8.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-9.jpg

So that was the progress till last week. Now the final paint is remaining; it will start after we get the proper shade. In sheer anticipation and excitement to see the final outcome. And my wife too is equally (or may be more) enthusiastic about the whole thing, accompanying me everywhere from the workshop to mayapuri to get the feel of the entire episode.
-regards,
Old 5th June 2009, 21:56   #126
Senior - BHPian

Great Somuen,
I guess that when Mandeep is the one doing all the supervision of the jeep, the outcome has to be perfect. I am still regretting my decision of not taking the 3B straight to Mandeeps workshop the first day itself. Anyways it only comes with experience and no doubt the outcome of your jeep will be superb.
Best of luck buddy.

p.s. any decision of the talk we had yesterday regarding the hurricane???
Old 18th June 2009, 10:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

To update the status, finally we were able to get the body painted last week. Though the final polishing etc are yet to be done. The electricals are ongoing and couple of small parts here and there. The windshield is still not in place and will be fitted later. To give an idea of paint here is a small snap. For a change its in a 'civilian gray' shade. The colour was mandeep's idea and my wife also was in full support for this shade

The story of my jeep: MM 440-colour.jpg

-regards,
Old 18th June 2009, 10:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

MODS, Sorry for posting the same reply twice, thanks to my horrible net connection!

Last edited by Kandisa : 18th June 2009 at 10:20. Reason: Posted twice
Old 18th June 2009, 10:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hey Somuen
That nice that you jeep has been painted and the electric work is progressing but its not at all fair!!!
One one picture!!!
Come on buddy you have to post more!!!
I might come to the place where your jeep is being done on saturday, if there is no OTR!!!
Old 18th June 2009, 10:50   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Somuen
That nice that you jeep has been painted and the electric work is progressing but its not at all fair!!!
One one picture!!!
I might come to the place where your jeep is being done on saturday, if there is no OTR!!!
come on soumen,another pic wont do any harm,post it.

mandeep
Old 18th June 2009, 11:04   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Somuen
One one picture!!!
Hi Soumen,

I second Harjeev's statement, the paint job looks amazing and the choice of colour is also very good.

I guess you want to surprise us with the final pics thats why you just gave us a sneek preview. Anyways I bet the Jeep would be a looker as its in good hands. Mandeep good work done brother !!!!!!!!

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18th June 2009, 11:08   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
come on soumen,another pic wont do any harm,post it.

mandeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Soumen,

I second Harjeev's statement, the paint job looks amazing and the choice of colour is also very good.

I guess you want to surprise us with the final pics thats why you just gave us a sneek preview. Anyways I bet the Jeep would be a looker as its in good hands. Mandeep good work done brother !!!!!!!!

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!
I second what randeep has said!!! Congrats Mandeep. Great work accomplished!!! I am dying to see the final product.
And Mandeep congrats on becoming a Bhpian!!!
Old 18th June 2009, 12:49   #133
Senior - BHPian

Please post a few more pictures. Posting one picture is like showing a child a big bag of sweets and only letting them have one .
Old 18th June 2009, 13:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Randeep, just wanted to post a preview only as it is better to see when the thing is totally complete. Ok, here is one more, hope it will give more idea about the paint. The connection here is terribly slow and i am hardly able to upload pics!

The story of my jeep: MM 440-colour2.jpg

-regards,
Old 18th June 2009, 14:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

Buddy
The quality of the paint looks fabulous!!!
I have to see it in person!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks