Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2024, 20:29   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Dear condor, driving with windows shut cuts out many external noises, but not much of engine rumble, which is quite high in the MPFI Gypsy.
Thanks !

After a good amount of running since last week, I observed that more than the engine noise, its the wind & tyres that contribute to the high ambient noise when you are doing 60+. And a music system isnt required in such conditions

But it has been fun. You feel engaged with the vehicle. And when the weather is good, it's even better. Will try keeping the rear windows a bit open next time to see if the air flow & hence ventilation is better.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 09:37   #902

Can anyone suggest good Gypsy mechanic near Whitefield/Marathahalli (Bangalore) area ?
I am facing slight oil leak at the front passenger side axle. Looks like a broken oil seal.
Old 26th June 2024, 22:46   #903

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my Gypsy king. I'm currently running the stock leaf springs and aftermarket front shocks with a Spring Over Axle set up.

I'm keen on installing composite leaf springs, I've only come across Dr. Nano and ARC cfls.
I am also looking to replace the current shocks with nitro shocks from the same manufacturers.

I would love to get your feed back on the CFL's and shocks and open to suggestions that are proven to work.
I do mostly on-road driving and moderate offroading.

Thanks and regards.
Old 3rd August 2024, 18:57   #904
BHPian

Just wanted to change the differential gear ratio on Gypsy, have anyone changed this from 41/11 ring and pinion which calculates 3.72 final drive. I'm keen to make it upto 4.27 or 4.88 on final drive. Experts, really looking for your inputs on this small project.
vivekdewanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 23:06   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_24 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my Gypsy king. I'm currently running the stock leaf springs and aftermarket front shocks with a Spring Over Axle set up.

I'm keen on installing composite leaf springs, I've only come across Dr. Nano and ARC cfls.
I am also looking to replace the current shocks with nitro shocks from the same manufacturers.

I would love to get your feed back on the CFL's and shocks and open to suggestions that are proven to work.
I do mostly on-road driving and moderate offroading.

Thanks and regards.
I'd suggest Oldman Emu for your usage if budget is not an issue
Old 7th August 2024, 12:12   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekdewanta View Post
Just wanted to change the differential gear ratio on Gypsy, have anyone changed this from 41/11 ring and pinion which calculates 3.72 final drive. I'm keen to make it upto 4.27 or 4.88 on final drive. Experts, really looking for your inputs on this small project.
Hi Vivek,

So what's exactly the objective here? With a first gear ratio of 3.652:1, Low range at 2.268 & a final drive ratio of 3.73, you're already sitting at a crawl ratio of 30.894:1 which I think is low enough for any serious rock crawling.

Unless you're planning to put large tires (which I would not recommend as even if you re-gear the rear differential, the rest of the drive train is not equipped to handle very large tires and those will put extra strain on your drive shafts, knuckles, bearings and the already anemic engine that struggles at higher altitudes).

Just for your reference, there are after-market re-gearing kits available that offer a final drive ratio of 4.57 & 5.38 and were priced at approx. US$800 when I last checked (which was four years ago). I'm sure someone must be offering these in the Indian market.

Good luck & drive safe!
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 19:19   #907
BHPian

Thankyou for the update Vikram. Stock ratio is not that slow, I'm looking for rock crawling with gypsy. My MM540 with 5.38 is extreme crawler. And it goes anywhere I want but with gypsy it keeps struggling. I know changing the differential gear ratio is cheap upgrade and can make a lot of difference, before making any change to gearbox and engine. But have not hands on gypsy mechanicals. Not a big fan of large tires for no reasons. 33's are best as of now.
vivekdewanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 10:11   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... but with gypsy it keeps struggling. I know changing the differential gear ratio is cheap upgrade and can make a lot of difference, before making any change to gearbox and engine.
Yes, it can make a HUGE satisfying difference. I have the intuition that 5:38 diff ratio may be too much for your already high revving engine but I am not sure about that. Best thing is to find a man who has actually done this on a Gypsy. One thing you have to be very concerned about is "gear lash". This is how the drive pinion gear meshes with the differential ring gear. "Lash" is how gear teeth fit together. This is adjustable on differentials. If you don't set it right you can very quickly wear out and damage both gears and that is expensive. (Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt). It is such a problem that some differential kits are sold with drive and dfferential gear lash together already preset. Google gear lash. You will see that lash is a science unto itself.

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:01   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yes, it can make a HUGE satisfying difference. I have the intuition that 5:38 diff ratio may be too much for your already high revving engine but I am not sure about that. Best thing is to find a man who has actually done this on a Gypsy. One thing you have to be very concerned about is "gear lash". This is how the drive pinion gear meshes with the differential ring gear. "Lash" is how gear teeth fit together. This is adjustable on differentials. If you don't set it right you can very quickly wear out and damage both gears and that is expensive. (Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt). It is such a problem that some differential kits are sold with drive and dfferential gear lash together already preset. Google gear lash. You will see that lash is a science unto itself.

Exactly I was on the same page. Had faced this issue on my MM540 when changed the gear ratio from 4.88 to 5.38 couldn't find a perfect mechanic at that time to fit and adjust the best shim required in order to kill the backlash. Finnally had to dig my own hand into it and took almost 7 man hours to get the proper adjustment between ring and pinion. Moreover MM540 Powerplant was a Peugeot DP engine mated to a KMT 90 Gearbox. Which is extremely slow and that's what I actually wanted. But with the Gypsy can't go that low since it's a high rev engine could eventually end up burning the clutch plates or maybe the head gasket. That's why wanted to have a low budget gypsy with rock crawling capability, who actually has expertise with low differential gear ratio on Gypsy. Maybe I'm okay with 4.30 or 4.88 on gypsy as of now. Sooner or maybe later I can plan to fidget with transfer case gears. Don't have that high budget for gypsy since already working on MM540 engine swap and dual steering column setup.

Last edited by vivekdewanta : 16th August 2024 at 12:03. Reason: Additional non informative knowledge removed
vivekdewanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:06   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou for the update Vikram. Stock ratio is not that slow, I'm looking for rock crawling with gypsy. My MM540 with 5.38 is extreme crawler. And it goes anywhere I want but with gypsy it keeps struggling. I know changing the differential gear ratio is cheap upgrade and can make a lot of difference, before making any change to gearbox and engine. But have not hands on gypsy mechanicals. Not a big fan of large tires for no reasons. 33's are best as of now.
Please check with these folks. The regearing kits are expensive (US$762.00 plus freight plus customs duty).

https://revolutiongear.com/revolutio...57-5-38-ratio/

Another option could be to regear the transfer case. This option is even more expensive once you add all the essentials (US$1,170.00 for 4.9:1).

https://trailtough.com/product/4-91-...ster-gear-kit/

I'm sure there would be outfits in the South offering something on similar lines. You'll have to do some research.

Good luck!
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:19   #911

Quote:
Just wanted to change the differential gear ratio on Gypsy,
Hi,

I had a different workaround. Bought a MG410W and swapped the engine. In your case try and find a good set of crown pinions and transfer case from 410W and use it on your gypsy. It’s a straight fit. Your final ratio will be 4.11

Hope that’s enough. My gypsy would crawl at a pace similar to Thar Di. This was on 235/75 r15. I used it mostly for farm work and it could crawl and tow like no other gypsy.
Arjun.hb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:15   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Please check with these folks. The regearing kits are expensive (US$762.00 plus freight plus customs duty).

https://revolutiongear.com/revolutio...57-5-38-ratio/

Another option could be to regear the transfer case. This option is even more expensive once you add all the essentials (US$1,170.00 for 4.9:1).

https://trailtough.com/product/4-91-...ster-gear-kit/

I'm sure there would be outfits in the South offering something on similar lines. You'll have to do some research.

Good luck!
Well it's going to cost me a lot as of now. Since it's a budget project as of now I'm looking for something cheap. But yes regearing the transfer case is in the bucket list for the gypsy. Will see the outcome post changing the differential gear ratio. If this works well, definitely will consider the shared links for future upgrade.
Old 16th August 2024, 15:18   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun.hb View Post
Hi,

I had a different workaround. Bought a MG410W and swapped the engine. In your case try and find a good set of crown pinions and transfer case from 410W and use it on your gypsy. It’s a straight fit. Your final ratio will be 4.11

Hope that’s enough. My gypsy would crawl at a pace similar to Thar Di. This was on 235/75 r15. I used it mostly for farm work and it could crawl and tow like no other gypsy.
That's good to know, Arjun. Will consider the same and look for the same at local scrapyard. Can you help me with the number of teeths on crown and pinion. It would be a little more easy for me to look for the right spare part.
So you are using 235/75/15 on stock rims ?
Old 16th August 2024, 16:34   #914

Quote:
That's good to know, Arjun. Will consider the same and look for the same at local scrapyard. Can you help me with the number of teeths on crown and pinion. It would be a little more easy for me to look for the right spare part.
So you are using 235/75/15 on stock rims ?
The gypsy is now sold. I did not meddle with the diffs since I was starting with a 410W, will check with my mech and get back to you regarding teeth count if he has any diffs lying around.
The tyre were mounted on 8J alloys.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-3f724b66def94b75a078823fb9ceba18.jpeg

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-img_0311.jpeg

Last edited by graaja : 16th August 2024 at 17:37. Reason: Adding quoted text for reference. Inserting pictures.

Most Viewed