Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 00:15   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Dont know which one is the correct thread to post this one.
Anyways,spotted this LHD M&M at Ooty.
its nice to see a really good high bonnet. the bullbar seems nice.
Old 16th November 2008, 01:44   #407
Team-BHP Support

I turned in the Jeep to Mahindra Service Center on Thursday. List of work are as follows:

1) Radiator replacement as instructed by Behram.
2) Head bolt re-torquing and tappet adjustment after run-in.
3) Sound while changing gear, synchronizing ring to be replaced.
4) Screeching sound while driving in 3rd and 4th. Gear box bearing damage suspected, to be checked.
5) Padding to be installed under the bonnet and at firewall to reduce noise.
6) Add missing bolts in the locking hub.
7) Very difficult to disengage 4WD levers, both of them.
8) Fuel leaking at full tank.
9) Wiper wheelhouse to be installed, it flew away during the second Agumbe trip.
10) Horn hasn't been working since 2 months. But I could manage with engine noise in place of horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Recently I got the excess play in both the 4WD levers fixed. The downside it this, once I engage 4WD or 4L, I find it very difficult to disengage. I literally have to fight the levers to get back to 4L or 2WD. Yeah, I do all the going back, going forward business. But it still takes 10-20 attempts to disengage.
Today the SA got back to me regarding the 4WD levers. Apparently they are damaged, he is suggesting I replace them with single lever 4WD lever. He is saying the modern single lever is lot more reliable and will work easily. What you guys think?
Old 16th November 2008, 05:17   #408
Senior - BHPian

I think #5, noise reduction via padding, will not work effectively.

#10, horn, a good one is a must. You could rig a second horn switch for use by co-driver for when your hands are full, e.g. going uphill while shifting on a sharp curve. This is easy to do.

Lever(s)? Dunno.

Am curious. Your bad synchro noise....grinding sound or what?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th November 2008 at 05:18.
Old 16th November 2008, 10:47   #409

Hello Sharat - Behram here (I am at home in Mumbai today, so replying from Cyrus's ID) - two lever transfer case is the original design and is the easiest and fastest to operate. The levers become loose as there is a sheet metal shim between levers which does not retain its position. Single lever transfer cases were introduced sometime in 1996. Even today, single lever transfer cases are in production, fitted to CL500MDI4WD Major vehicles. However, in order to changeover, you will have to replace the lever holding housing also. As there is going to be only one lever to select 4WD and also engage high or low, there has to be a spherical ball joint in the housing which has to hold the new lever. Tell the SA to get all original parts through their normal channel as per part numbers of CL500MDI and replace as a set. Then it will work, otherwise it will not work. If you are able to solve the looseness by local means (open the body cover, see what has happened and decide), 2 levers are still the best to operate. I used to operate them at the flick of a wrist in my yellow great escape vehicle MH01P2540. So this is a classic case where you can get your first hand expertise, don't miss it. Call me if you want further help.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th November 2008, 08:06   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
regarding the 4WD levers. Apparently they are damaged, he is suggesting I replace them with single lever 4WD lever. He is saying the modern single lever is lot more reliable and will work easily. What you guys think?
The two lever system is easier to operate than the single lever one.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:25   #411
BHPian

Also took my 540 to the mechanic on Saturday. There were a couple of issues:

1.> 2nd gear slipping back to neutral
2.> Steering play
3.> Oil leaking from diesel pump
4.> Engine oil in radiator water,water in engine oil.

We had to flush the radiator since it was full of oil. The engine oil seepage was suspected to be because of a leaking head gasket. When we opened the head, the gasket looked perfectly fine. The threading in one of the 'holes' on the block where the corner-most(closest to the firewall) bolt fixes the head to the block seems to be worn out, because of which there might be a gap between the head and the block. This might be the other cause for the engine oil and water mixing.
I think that is also one of the things that Sharat is planningto do ("head bolt retorquing). Please advice how to proceed with this, since I now need to flush the radiator, change the engine oil, change the oil filter and put in a new head gasket. Cant do this every time there's water in the engine oil.
We explored the option of trying to fit in a over-size bolt(bigger than size 17) but such bolts are not available. If we have to retorque the bolt, we need to remove the block and then get it done.
Apparently this is a very common issue in Puegeot engines...is that true? Is that bolt causing the oil and water to mix? BTW, there was no loss in oil pressure or excessive heating prior to this... hence it was a surprise to see oil in the water(and vice versa).

Any comments/work-arounds?
Old 17th November 2008, 11:39   #412
Team-BHP Support

Today I visited the Mahindra workshop, the entire gearbox and transfer case was completely disassembled.

The front part of the transfer case is broken at a bolt-hole, that needs to be replaced. We can either put the part that takes single lever or two-lever system. Based on the feedback, I asked him to replace it with the part that works with the two lever system.

The rear part of the transfer case is also broken, but that can be welded back, no issue there.

Two synchronizer rings (2nd and 3rd) had worn out completely, all rings will be replaced.

The keys on the hub that connects 3rd and 4th gear are broken. Some teeth on 2nd and 4th gears are damaged, replacement suggested. The counter gear also has damaged teeth, to be replaced.

This is almost turning into a gearbox overhaul, what else is done in a gearbox overhaul?

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2008 at 11:41.
Old 17th November 2008, 12:35   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrainsnooper View Post
BTW, there was no loss in oil pressure or excessive heating prior to this... hence it was a surprise to see oil in the water(and vice versa).
Just fix the bolt and leave it as it is!

Quote:
Today I visited the Mahindra workshop, the entire gearbox and transfer case was completely disassembled. ....

... This is almost turning into a gearbox overhaul..
Samurai, Your jeep has undergone an almost complete rebuild. Seems like you have an investment for a lifetime!
Old 17th November 2008, 14:33   #414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Samurai, Your jeep has undergone an almost complete rebuild. Seems like you have an investment for a lifetime!
The problem is I am not used to having any problems in my vehicles. If I see a problem, I have to get it fixed, especially in the mechanicals. Since a month I have been hearing these funny noises, I had to get it checked. Eventually I would like to have a trouble free Jeep, if such a thing is even possible.
Old 19th November 2008, 18:18   #415
Team-BHP Support

We are still waiting for parts. At first the parts shop sent Gajra parts which they extensively use in place of Mahindra OE parts. However, the SA wants to stick with Mahindra OE parts for my Jeep since he knows it is for offroading. So we are still waiting.

The new OE radiator is here. It looks solid and fully black in color. The price is about 8K for the full set.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:08   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I visited the Mahindra workshop, the entire gearbox and transfer case was completely disassembled.

The front part of the transfer case is broken at a bolt-hole, that needs to be replaced. We can either put the part that takes single lever or two-lever system. Based on the feedback, I asked him to replace it with the part that works with the two lever system.

The rear part of the transfer case is also broken, but that can be welded back, no issue there.

Two synchronizer rings (2nd and 3rd) had worn out completely, all rings will be replaced.

The keys on the hub that connects 3rd and 4th gear are broken. Some teeth on 2nd and 4th gears are damaged, replacement suggested. The counter gear also has damaged teeth, to be replaced.

This is almost turning into a gearbox overhaul, what else is done in a gearbox overhaul?
Bearings. Why not go for a total rebuild? Labor is the expense here, not the parts. Might as well since you are going to open it up and get charged for most of the labor of a rebuild anyway.
Old 24th November 2008, 09:41   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Bearings. Why not go for a total rebuild? Labor is the expense here, not the parts. Might as well since you are going to open it up and get charged for most of the labor of a rebuild anyway.
Bearings are fine. Although he suspected the bearing, the sound was because of the broken keys, the gears were slipping.

Anyway, all the OE parts came as of Saturday. The gearbox work will start today and should be done by tomorrow. Yes, this is same as gearbox overhaul.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:45   #418
Senior - BHPian

Samurai
Hats off to your perseverence and the daily dose of adventure with your vehicle's parts. One of the worst things about living with a "used" vehicle is that one is never too sure as to which parts are fine and which are weak that need replacement. Normally the seller keeps this knowledge either a secret or is himself ignorant about them.
Someone got a Nobel in Economics by writing a theory on this - I think Prof George Akerlof.
This makes me distrust every part until I have personally had them replaced with new. Otherwise I can never trust a used vehicle for long drives.
Sudipto
Old 24th November 2008, 10:57   #419
BANNED

Quote:
Bearings are fine. Although he suspected the bearing, the sound was because of the broken keys, the gears were slipping.
You should get them changed too. Just because you have opened the box.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:43   #420
BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, all the OE parts came as of Saturday. The gearbox work will start today and should be done by tomorrow. Yes, this is same as gearbox overhaul.
Sharath, since you had broken gears inside, it is good to change the bearings also because there is all the possibility of hard debris going inside the bearings and its failure is a question of time. It is not worth the trouble. Better change it
suresh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks