Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
By saying that you forced me to think.
That was intended
Old 5th October 2008, 09:49   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I even had fule leak issue after the recent full tank. I got the tank removed and had it thoroughly checked. There was no leak in the tank. But the diesel was leaking through the the cap when it was full.
This is a common problem in many jeeps when the tank is made full as the caps are not leak proof. the fuel can even come out of the key vents in the cap. either one should avoid getting full tank done or should get the tank fitted with the screw type caps(those which are in cars). like this one
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-fuel_cap.jpg
and a door for safety.
for this, the tank neck needs a gas welding job.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:10   #393
Senior - BHPian

Attention Gypsy guys

This is getting to be a long thread. And, it has at least one long spin off on over heating. Are you gypsy guys facing the same never-ending list of niggling problems? Granted most Gypsys are newer.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:55   #394
Team-BHP Support

Old Jeeps require constant maintenance, this way all the niggles remain in one thread.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:46   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This is getting to be a long thread. And, it has at least one long spin off on over heating. Are you gypsy guys facing the same never-ending list of niggling problems? Granted most Gypsys are newer.
Hey DD,

I own a 97 Gypsy King as well as an 89 MM540. I dont seem to have niggling problems whatsoever, thanks to the initial build up we did on the vehicles.

Most problems can be sorted out and made reliable if proper understanding of the occurence happens.

Ofcourse, Gypsies are atleast a decade ahead in design, but if you compare the post 2000 MM540s, they are also very reliable.

The Jeeps can really take a thrashing and survive to tell the tale. I've not had the courage to do the same in my Gypsy
Old 6th October 2008, 11:32   #396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Most problems can be sorted out and made reliable if proper understanding of the occurence happens.
I have not reached that point, yet. But I like to be there some day.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:05   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey DD,

I own a 97 Gypsy King as well as an 89 MM540. I dont seem to have niggling problems whatsoever, thanks to the initial build up we did on the vehicles.

Ofcourse, Gypsies are atleast a decade ahead in design, but if you compare the post 2000 MM540s, they are also very reliable.

The Jeeps can really take a thrashing and survive to tell the tale. I've not had the courage to do the same in my Gypsy
Thanks, Headers, that is exactly what I wanted to know. From all these threads you begin to wonder about quality and whether you can restore, build, mod, quality into these machines.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:07   #398
BHPian

@ Samurai, i too have the same problem of fuel leaking, changed the fuel cap but in vain.
even if i have 1/2 tank full, it leaks after a sharp right turn in good speed. I am thinking something similar to star_aqua now.

--Sree--
Old 18th October 2008, 00:20   #399
Team-BHP Support

Recently I got the excess play in both the 4WD levers fixed. The downside it this, once I engage 4WD or 4L, I find it very difficult to disengage. I literally have to fight the levers to get back to 4L or 2WD. Yeah, I do all the going back, going forward business. But it still takes 10-20 attempts to disengage.

After a small offroading session this week, I ran into the same issue. Since I was in a hurry, I turned and drove 100ft on hard surface to the parking lot in 4L. I could feel the vague tension in the steering and wheel. Anyway, next day morning I was able to disengage after few more tries.

Now here is the deal. I am unable to unlock the hubs. I recently have come to understand that when a Jeep is driven on hard surface in 4WD, it is the hub locks that is the first to break, being the weakest link and all. Can 100ft of driving (and turning) on hard surface cause much damage? I am unable to unlock the hubs with bare hands like before.

Before I bring in the pliers, I just want to confirm it is ok.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:03   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Recently I got the excess play in both the 4WD levers fixed. The downside it this, once I engage 4WD or 4L, I find it very difficult to disengage. I literally have to fight the levers to get back to 4L or 2WD. Yeah, I do all the going back, going forward business. But it still takes 10-20 attempts to disengage.
Excess play is due to the pivot pin being coming out. hammer it and push it inside asap or else you will end up the 4WD levers in your hand. again the excess play is the culprit which does not take you back to 2WD easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
After a small offroading session this week, I ran into the same issue. Since I was in a hurry, I turned and drove 100ft on hard surface to the parking lot in 4L. I could feel the vague tension in the steering and wheel. Anyway, next day morning I was able to disengage after few more tries.

Now here is the deal. I am unable to unlock the hubs. I recently have come to understand that when a Jeep is driven on hard surface in 4WD, it is the hub locks that is the first to break, being the weakest link and all. Can 100ft of driving (and turning) on hard surface cause much damage? I am unable to unlock the hubs with bare hands like before.

It can cause the damage on hard surface only in the turning due to windup. sometimes just 20-30ft is enough. may be you can try removing the hub and unlocking it without the pliers.
Old 18th October 2008, 03:15   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah, use the pliers but lightly and politely. I have had to do this routinely on my 4x4 vehicles. Outside india (of course) they even make special pliers with little flat plates to do this. Do not force things too hard though. If you work the selector disc back and forth a few times it may free up. If you do not know whether the hub is locked or unlocked or suspect it is locked when in the unlocked position you can always raise all 4 wheels off the ground, start the motor and put it in gear and observe if the wheels turn.
Old 18th October 2008, 12:42   #402
BHPian

Spotted this LHD M&M in Ooty

Dont know which one is the correct thread to post this one.
Anyways,spotted this LHD M&M at Ooty.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-025.jpg  

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-026.jpg  

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-027.jpg  

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-028.jpg  

Old 18th October 2008, 15:07   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yeah, use the pliers but lightly and politely. I have had to do this routinely on my 4x4 vehicles.
Today I gently tried to unlock using the pliers and didn't budge, both of them. After some thought I decided to take it to the mechanic to open and check it.

After hearing the problem, he too tried to turn it, and it unlocks quietly. Now I am dumb stuck. He tries the other side, it too unlocks very easily. I guess the bumpy drive to the garage shook it up enough.
Old 18th October 2008, 18:27   #404
Senior - BHPian

I guess we have all gone through this and can identify so easily with the situation. Once I tried to kick my Yezdi for about 45 minutes in the middle of the busy road far from home. Finally went and brought my mechanic. He pulled out the jet pin, blew some air into the hole to clear some dirt (like foooooh) and the bike started with one kick. I had the same sort of feeling as you had.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:26   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After hearing the problem, he too tried to turn it, and it unlocks quietly. Now I am dumb stuck. He tries the other side, it too unlocks very easily. I guess the bumpy drive to the garage shook it up enough.
Good to hear your hubs are okay. It's about time you got a break.

I believe you meant to say "dumb struck". Whereas "dumb stuck" is when you are out off-roading or getting jiggy with the kludges at work .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks