Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2024, 21:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Bought a 1970 Mahindra Jeep (CJ3B?) | Requesting advice and guidance

Innova Seats

here is the photograph of Innova seat procured from Mayapuri. I have got a pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a 1970 Mahindra Jeep (CJ3B?) | Requesting advice and guidance-seat.jpg  

BABABOT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 20:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great looking seats, good idea. Don't give up on it. Once you get some paint on it you will find that you've got something unique and fun to own and drive. It should be fairly easy to knock a lot of that interior surface rust off with a power wire brush.

You will find in time that tyre selection is quite important for this vehicle. It is so light and so much steering feel is transferred through the steering shaft that every Tyre nuance will be felt. And, of course, traction off road will be greatly enhanced or lessened depending what "meats" (tyres) you choose.

You've got an interesting electrical distribution box there! It reminds me of something I once built for myself out of an old metal tool box. Worked fine! Now I know why I haven't been able to buy any electric tape lately...you've got it all.

I suggest you make a little priority list of what needs to be done firstly, secondly etc.

You may want to wait a while before tackling the lane assist, the central locking, the windshield rain sensors (Just joshing).
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a 1970 Mahindra Jeep (CJ3B?) | Requesting advice and guidance-electric-box.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 02:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Great looking seats, good idea. Don't give up on it. Once you get some paint on it you will find that you've got something unique and fun to own and drive. It should be fairly easy to knock a lot of that interior surface rust off with a power wire brush.

You will find in time that tyre selection is quite important for this vehicle. It is so light and so much steering feel is transferred through the steering shaft that every Tyre nuance will be felt. And, of course, traction off road will be greatly enhanced or lessened depending what "meats" (tyres) you choose.

You've got an interesting electrical distribution box there! It reminds me of something I once built for myself out of an old metal tool box. Worked fine! Now I know why I haven't been able to buy any electric tape lately...you've got it all.

I suggest you make a little priority list of what needs to be done firstly, secondly etc.

You may want to wait a while before tackling the lane assist, the central locking, the windshield rain sensors (Just joshing).
Thank You So much Dirty Dan. The paint job is the last thing on my mind and on my priority right now. So far only mechanical fitness has been done. Even the seats will be fitted later.
I am just getting used to driving it right now. It is so completely differently and sweaty .

Tyres. I plan to go ahead with 6.00 x 16 NDMS only as of now. I have two in the rear now and getting three more, two for front and one spare. I would be happy if u recommend any other ones. The reason for selection is two....No 1. I think it looks good and it is the tyre that came with it in the first place. No 2 I already have two brand new tyres NDMS in the rear now. But I am open to suggestions and recommendations of the experts.
Electric distribution. i just checked if all the lights and switches and indicators were working , necessary repairs were done . I plan to do the complete rewiring once i do the tinkering and paint job.
My sole aim right now is getting used to the Jeep.
Hope I am on the right line
BABABOT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 15:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABABOT View Post

Hope I am on the right line
What you are doing sounds pretty reasonable to me. Since the Gov forced out so many good foreign based tyre makers a couple of years back, it is hard to know what to recommend. This is not a vehicle that you are going to want to take long family trips in, it's not a good highway cruiser. You may not want to push it passed 50-60kph. The NDMS tyres are not belted radials and they are meant for mud and off road, not for high speed expressway torching. NDMS is fine for running errands around town and for excursions on bad roads, no roads. The aggressive tread may be just a bit slick for wet rainy roads but a modicum of care will see you thru any difficulty. Am looking forward to your progress reports.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
What you are doing sounds pretty reasonable to me. Since the Gov forced out so many good foreign based tyre makers a couple of years back, it is hard to know what to recommend. This is not a vehicle that you are going to want to take long family trips in, it's not a good highway cruiser. You may not want to push it passed 50-60kph. The NDMS tyres are not belted radials and they are meant for mud and off road, not for high speed expressway torching. NDMS is fine for running errands around town and for excursions on bad roads, no roads. The aggressive tread may be just a bit slick for wet rainy roads but a modicum of care will see you thru any difficulty. Am looking forward to your progress reports.
Dear Dan,
This jeep I plan to use for may be mild off roading, and moving around here and there( but definitely not family destination trips'), excursions, picnic and villages , so will be using in both good roads and bad roads. My mechanic seems to be against NDMS. he recommended me to use the similar pattern tyres that are there in the front( available here in MRF showroom). Alternatively he asked me to lay my hand on sand cum highway tyres that came with the army specific MM 550. However I found out that the sand cum highway tyres are 7.5 x 16. Does it fit in this rim ( present tyre size there is 6.00 x 16). enclosing both pictures for your ready reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a 1970 Mahindra Jeep (CJ3B?) | Requesting advice and guidance-tyre.jpg  

Bought a 1970 Mahindra Jeep (CJ3B?) | Requesting advice and guidance-sandgrip.jpg  

Old 14th September 2024, 18:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Does it fit in this rim ( present tyre size there is 6.00 x 16)..
Your mech should be able to tell you for sure. My guess is that, yes, it will fit but I don't have encylopedic knowledge of what fits and what does not.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 06:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..My mechanic seems to be against NDMS.
NDMS tyres give excellent performance off-road. However, on-road braking and grip is very bad. The tyre life is also poor.

Quote:
I found out that the sand cum highway tyres are 7.5 x 16. Does it fit in this rim ( present tyre size there is 6.00 x 16). enclosing both pictures for your ready reference.
Yes, these will fit your existing rims. However, they may foul the fenders on articulation.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 11:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Dan,
enclosing both pictures for your ready reference.
Those military spec tyres look really cool and work well as a good-of-both-worlds option but your already not-awesome fuel efficiency will drop down further (not that jeepers have that as a concern point but giving you a heads-up regardless). The 7.5 tyres have no problem being mounted on the existing rims. They suit well without problems. You should have plenty of space for steering space too. People often drive around with tractor tyres, small tempo tyres and such. The 16" rims on jeeps are versatile.

NDMS tyres have relatively low lifespan. They do the job well and retire early so to speak. I had NDMS on all four tyres. My daily running was only 10 and odd kilometres and they worked good enough. They really do shine in gravel and off-road; I've barely encountered wheel slips if at all. If your good road proportion is 40% or less, just go ahead and get them. Not too expensive either. After all, our roads are becoming more off-roads recently anyway
that_sedate_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 13:52   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bababot - Fix everything else mechanically, use the vehicle for a few weeks and then look for tyres please.

If the vehicle is not tracking straight or some other problem that can affect tire life, that should be fixed before spending money on new tires.

Also keep in mind, if the Jeep is without power steering you have to look for tyres that would be easy enough to steer among other things.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 15:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
NDMS tyres give excellent performance off-road. However, on-road braking and grip is very bad. The tyre life is also poor.

Yes, these will fit your existing rims. However, they may foul the fenders on articulation.
Thanks Dhanush. I am planning to try the Highway cum Sand tyres and see for a few days and decide. Trying to get them on loan kind of thing to see fit, comfort and performance etc. Let us hope I get my hand on them.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2024 at 15:31. Reason: Minor typo fix
Old 16th September 2024, 15:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_sedate_guy View Post
Those military spec tyres look really cool and work well as a good-of-both-worlds option but your already not-awesome fuel efficiency will drop down further (not that jeepers have that as a concern point but giving you a heads-up regardless). The 7.5 tyres have no problem being mounted on the existing rims. They suit well without problems. You should have plenty of space for steering space too. People often drive around with tractor tyres, small tempo tyres and such. The 16" rims on jeeps are versatile.

NDMS tyres have relatively low lifespan. They do the job well and retire early so to speak. I had NDMS on all four tyres. My daily running was only 10 and odd kilometres and they worked good enough. They really do shine in gravel and off-road; I've barely encountered wheel slips if at all. If your good road proportion is 40% or less, just go ahead and get them. Not too expensive either. After all, our roads are becoming more off-roads recently anyway
Hi That_Sedate_Guy. Thank you very much for the input. I am trying to manage a set of the Highway cum Sand Tyres to test it. Hope I get it. If I don't then I will stick to NDMS and will not go for these army specs tyres without trials.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2024 at 15:32. Reason: Typo fix
Old 16th September 2024, 15:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@Bababot - Fix everything else mechanically, use the vehicle for a few weeks and then look for tyres please.

If the vehicle is not tracking straight or some other problem that can affect tire life, that should be fixed before spending money on new tires.

Also keep in mind, if the Jeep is without power steering you have to look for tyres that would be easy enough to steer among other things.
Thank you Kosfactor. Yes I am in a so called running in period as I am just setting my hand on the driveability part of the Jeep and trying to understand what it is all about. I am also making a detail note on various factors noticed. I plan to so this exercise for another 20 odd days there after take the Jeep back to the garage and discuss with the Mechanic. That is the time I plan to do the cosmetics i.e. tinkering and painting. The mechanical part seems to be fine(by luck) and has been certified by the mechanic to run without problems for 10000km .

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2024 at 15:39.
Old 18th September 2024, 01:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

If you want to recommend, what would u recommend for the tyres. I am not impressed with NDMS
Old 18th September 2024, 23:04   #29
BHPian

Long Drive Feedback

Today went for about 30 Km in the evening on a hightway which was literally empty. The Jeep was very smooth till about 50 km/h speed, no vibration or anything. however above 60 km/h ( yes it did cross that speed) felt the vehicle has a lot of body rattle kind of sound. it may have been the vibration ?. It was definitely not a wobble , I was sure about that. The shockers also seem to be fine, no jerks or anything when over speed bumps and bad roads. Found the lights very very effective, how says halogens are bad.

Waiting for comments of experts please
Old 19th September 2024, 19:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... it's not a good highway cruiser. You may not want to push it passed 50-60kph....
This is definitely a sub-warp speed vehicle...and that's really okay.

Quote:
...however above 60 km/h ( yes it did cross that speed) felt the vehicle has a lot of body rattle kind of sound. it may have been the vibration ?. It was definitely not a wobble , I was sure about that.
If you haven't yet driven your mechanic to drink yet, maybe you can get him to go underneath with some wrenches and just tighten everything up.

I would want him to check the entire exhaust system to see if it is loose. This is a safety concern, too, carbon monoxide is dangerous stuff.
Also have him check the body mounts. These are bolts with rubber donut things that hold the tub to the frame. Often rubber bushings rot away with age. You might also give your dashboard a few good raps with your fist to see if it is loose. Check the tightness of the fuel tank and filler pipe.

Be forewarned, Jeeps rattle.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks