Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 12:47   #1

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI

Got this Mahindra 1996 CL-500-DI about four months ago in a government auction.
4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-make.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-before-1.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-before-2.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-before-3.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-engine-before.jpg

It was mainly for farm use, so naturally I did not want to spend a lot of money on it. I was not looking for fancy mods just good enough restoration so that I can use it for the purpose it was bought for. After spending little over 70K on it, it looks like this.

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-engine-after.jpg

Sorry about the laddus melting over the engine.

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-after-1.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-after-2.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-after-3.jpg

After having driven it for over a month now, I have completely fallen in love. A vehicle so bareboned and yet it dominates the rough and sandy terrain of rural Rajasthan. I want to restore it to its former glory but I have zero experience with 4X4 vehicles, let alone a jeep from 1996.
The 4X4 gear levers are missing. I was told that the 4X4 parts were removed to increase mileage and later sold by the driver. Classic Sarkari behaviour.

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-after-inside.jpg

How do I find out how much really is missing? And where can I get the parts for it?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th July 2023 at 13:12.
xyzdiesel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 13:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI

Good on you to keep the old Mahindra spirit alive and to use it in exactly the terrain in which it was meant to serve.

Many of these old CL’s actually were sold in 2WD form so it is also quite possible that this particular vehicle to have been a 2WD from the outset itself.

It may be a good idea to try and use the Chassis Number and Engine Number details and check with Mahindra themselves with the help of their archives if they have such a thing. This is if you want an absolutely authentic restoration job. Then there are also accomplished restorers and mechanics in Rajasthan and Punjab and MP and all. These are the hotbeds of Jeeps like this in Northern India.

And this forum is a great place to seek info. There is one wonderful thread here which tells the story of a Mahindra Major, procured from Chambal and which is now doing duty in Kerala and Karnataka.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 13:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI

A lot of these were sold only in 4x2. A few owners sold their 4x4 drivetrain as the vehicle aged. Lesser maintenance & no usage, we can presume.

Look under the car and see which all 4x4 components it has. If not, you can always add them at a good workshop.

That is such a good looking Jeep, congrats
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 13:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzdiesel View Post
How do I find out how much really is missing? And where can I get the parts for it?
For starter you have a front differential axle tube, check if it is connected to transfer case by prop shaft. Or if the transfer case is there on not?

If you can share some underbody pics, folks here would be a able to assist more.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 13:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you can share some underbody pics, folks here would be a able to assist more.
Okay will share soon. Thanks.

The front diff axle tube is present so it definitely used to be a 4X4, but there is not prop shaft connected to it.

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-img_20230724_150042.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-img_20230724_160657.jpg

Front diff tube not connected to anything

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-img_20230724_150042.jpg

4x4 Gear Levers missing in my Mahindra CL500 DI-img_20230724_160657.jpg

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th July 2023 at 16:30.
xyzdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Zooming into your newly painted engine bay I dont see a tell-tale large Transfer case. Most likely you have just the 2wd GB and the rear diff center aligned. If you insist on a 4wd you would literally need front and rear axle+diff+diff tubes and GB + Tcase. I would say 1Lac approx cost in exchange for your existing parts.

See if it is worth it, if needed I can guide you over a phone call to get it done.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 11:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzdiesel View Post

Simple, if your rear differential is right offset, you still have transfer case. As 4 speed 4wd GB+TC has right offset to accommodate TC. If your rear differential pumpkin is at the centre, you just have the GB and no TC.
Now if you only have GB, you can either purchase a TC and put it on GB. Or (easier way) buy a GB+TC, Rear diff, front and rear prop shaft, correct cross member and you are set. Second option will cost you ~ 60K.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Many of these old CL’s actually were sold in 2WD form so it is also quite possible that this particular vehicle to have been a 2WD from the outset itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A lot of these were sold only in 4x2.
This particular jeep was sold as 4WD from company. Look at the first pic of chassis number which starts with 4WD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks